msmart112
Amityville_Member

Voices

Post by msmart112 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:46 pm

Voices

From here...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6984258/

...we get this...

"On the night of November 13, 1974, Ronald DeFeo, Jr. took a high-powered rifle and murdered his entire family as they slept. At his trial, DeFeo claimed that "voices" in the house commanded him to kill. This is their story."

I know that Ronnie mentioned hearing voices to psychiatrists...but I don't ever remember reading anything about Ronnie claiming that voices commanded him to kill...and especially not at his trial.

Has anyone ever seen/heard anything about this?

Or is Dan Farrands just making this up?

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Re: Voices

Post by Dan the Damned » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:24 pm

Well, I'm just rehashing what you know already; but in the book "High Hopes" (when DeFeo is being analyzed by Dr Zolan) he says that he feels he is an agent of God, and that God was telling him to "get rid of all the bad people."

But this wasn't during the trial, and he doesn't really say that the voices are necessarily coming directly from God, and in that same examination he gave other reasons for why he killed his family.

So yeah, in my mind it's not accurate.

Even jumping into Hans Holzer's book, you'd think we'd get more bull-crap about voices; but actually we get the opposite. Holzer has a transcript of an interview he did with Ronnie in 1979:

Q: Now, tell me this. When did you hear what you call voices talking to you, for the first time?

A: Did I hear voices?

Q: Yes.

A: I’ll be honest with you. I never heard any voices. The voices I heard and told you about in the house – the screaming and stuff.

Q: Did you ever hear a voice telling you to do certain things?

A: Me? No.

Q: Nobody told you to kill. No one ever told you anything like that. Because that is in the--

A: I know, it’s in the testimony.

Q: Why is it in the testimony?

A: Because I tried to convince the psychiatrist that I was insane.

Q: You’re not insane?

A: I don’t feel I am.

Q: Why did you feel that talking about a voice...

A: I had to convince the psychiatrist I was crazy before I could go before the court and convince a jury.

Q: But saying that you heard voices doesn’t prove insanity.

A: No, it isn’t, but I felt it was.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:43 pm

Are they trying to pass this film off as being authentic? Because it has a lot of crap in it that I've never heard of before -- stuff that totally seems like fiction. No different than what Hollywood did to the Lutzes' story.

In just the first 15 minutes, we are led to understand that Butch & Dawn shared the same birthday, and that the red room is a gigantic storage area (which comfortably seats 8 teenagers), and that they held seances in the red room with coins levitating and light bulbs exploding, etc...

msmart112
Amityville_Member

Post by msmart112 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:28 pm

Dan Farrands wrote:This movie isn't necessarily part of a franchise. It's a story about the DeFeo family who tragically lost their lives in that house in 1974, before there was a haunted house, or before there was a franchise. So I wanted to pay respect to them. I wanted to tell my version of the story of what might have been. I mean obviously some of it comes from my own imagination because nobody really knows what happened in that house.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:42 pm

He wanted to pay them respect. Hmmm. Seems kinda dis-respectful to me. But what do I know.

I just get sick of hearing the father made out to be an a-hole. And this movie really portrays him to be a monster. I think it goes further in that regard than any previous Amityville film. That's disappointing... :?

Amityville Rock
Amityville Addict

Post by Amityville Rock » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:06 pm

I'm with you, Dan.

What a lying piece of crap! I know for a fact Chris hates this guy (he's told me so more than once) and has for almost twenty years now.
Special Guest Star

est. 1999