Shattered Hopes DVD Review

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
Post Reply
ScaryMary
Amityville Member
Posts: 11

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by ScaryMary » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:12 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:Why are we still relevant?

With a $200,000 trilogy to promote - and the ghost of The Amityville Horror to lay to rest - you keep coming back here?

You weren't far off when you said only around 10 people view this site, yet - with the film out in the world - we're still a problem?

We wouldn't be if Part I was something you could stand proudly behind.

Why have none of the horror sites been notified Part I is out? Did you go for the True Crime market like you said you would? Or maybe you're content to sell a "few hundred copies" to Facebook fans, while $200,000 disappears down a black hole?

Point being - I think you are deliberately keeping the film from the mainsteam in fear you'll get "found out".

You may be happy as a dozen good notices make you "feel humble", but is Gail happy? Diana? How has this Facebook ghetto furthered their careers while you conspire to sell as few copies as possible? Don't they want their money back? Do Amityville Holdings? Who are Amityville Holdings anyway? Your parents?

The world is never going to see Amityville the way you see Amityville if no-one watches your film. So go and promote it. Properly!

Let's see what the big-boys make of it.

What are you scared of? That a real journalist will find your story and do some digging?

Better to keep things low-key, feel "humble" and live in the gutter where the FAQ are the big bad meanies.

Rubbish - you wanted to change to world. Shattered Hopes was going to be a game-changer. And yet... you come crawling back here and you sound broken. Where the hell has your confidence gone? It's not our fault that your Youtube clips cannot paper over the cracks...

So... man-up, quit the whiny blackmail techniques, and see if you can fool people on a GRAND scale.

What are you waiting for..?

Why are we still relevant?
As a member of both boards, I have to say that this board has some very rude, nasty people. I was even sent threatening, rude private messages on Facebook from some of these members. I turned them over to Ryan to add to his stockpile of harassment to him and his fans. Those same people tried to spew acid all over every post on the Shattered Hopes page. Ryan allowed those people to express their opinions until they became hateful and harassing. Why should Ryan allow his fans to be attacked? Even some fans who stay on Ryan's page have differences of opinion, BUT they continue to be respectful to eachother.
There are always going to be unanswered questions in this story that no one will be able to answer, but I believe that Ryan has stayed subjective and has found and presented the facts better than anyone else ever has or ever will. As far as the Lutz kids go, they contiue to clash with eachother and flip flop on the "truth" when it fits their needs at the moment.
Some one mentioned that this film will be the end of Ryan's career in the industry. This statement makes me laugh as I personally have shown it to a good friend in the "real big players" industry and my friend liked it very much. I will not give out my friends name as I am loyal and do not want my friend to be harassed. It would be a big mistake for anyone to harass my friend anyway as my friend has many powerful friends in the industry.
Ryan and his fans and friends have every right to come on here and defend him and the lies being told about him. As far as Geraldine goes, you either believe her or not, but seriously, the only thing people with little minds can do is attack her appearance?! Making fun of how she looks does not make you look intelligent as any idiot can make fun of anyone. And that is the usual response by people who are not smart enough to back up what they are claiming. I do believe Geraldine. I believe she is legit and has way too much inside knowlege that no one else could come forward with.

kathyM
Princess
Posts: 2607

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by kathyM » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:38 pm

Mary you should read this topic here on the board.

http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard ... f=9&t=8008

Do you really believe this woman who offers no proof of what she says? She would be better off saying that her story is one that was told to her by Ronnie. Everything that she says is what he has always said. I dont believe she lived it herself. Why is there no proof? Why has nobody ever mentioned her name? Nobody knew her or heard about her or saw her back then but according to her she was a big part of Ronnie's life? He also had a girlfriend at the time of the murders. What about her? Geraldine was a big secret?

User avatar
BooshaGirl
Amityville Addict
Posts: 643

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by BooshaGirl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:55 pm

VintageBoy91 wrote:
BooshaGirl wrote:...and he HATED Dawn and has described her as being "weird" to me many times. I can't say either way--I just have to take HIS word for it because he was THERE).
Just a comprehension question. Your friend said that HE hated Dawn and describes her as being "weird"? Or your friend
alleges that Ronnie hated Dawn and always described her as being "weird" ?

Sorry, I had some problems in understanding that sentence.

Interesting anyway. Was your friend one of Ronnie's good friends?
Hi...yes--my friend Tommy was good friends with Ronnie. WAS. They drifted apart when Ronnie started getting all wacko with the guns and drugs, but he knew Ronnie when they first moved into the house and they played with (maybe that's a better example--I wasn't aware the money printer was common knowledge)...okay--maybe Ryan can tell me what Ronnie had in his bedroom that the other boys envied (don't be nasty).

Tommy hated Dawn. Tommy has told me many times he thought she was very "weird." That was HIS opinion of her--when she was alive and she was RONNIE'S sister. He feels bad saying it now because she's dead--but he's an honest man and told me how he felt about her THEN. He wouldn't even take me to St. Charles cemetery when I was in NY because he still can't stand the thought that the little kids were killed. It bothers him to this day, but he says "you Amityville freaks think about it a whole lot more than us--who lived through it." Hey, I got no defense for that. I was just happy to get some "inside scoop" from someone who REALLY knew the family.

Tommy still owes Ronnie $25 bucks and always jokes he hopes Ronnie doesn't charge interest. I beg him to go to Greenhaven because he brags that "I know Ronnie will talk to me--I'm one of the only ones LEFT" and so far, no luck. Tommy isn't a CLOSE CLOSE friend of mine--he was introduced to me by by close friend who lives in Bellmore, Long Island. She knew I was "obsessed" with Amityville and knew someone who knew about it. I spent an entire day with him and have since exchanged many e-mails and phone calls. He trusts me and I don't want to lose that. He did say he'd answer any questions we have. Write them all down...number them...and I'll give them to him to answer. He already answered the very important one--that he NEVER EVER EVER saw or heard of that Geraldine broad.

so that's that. It is what it is.

User avatar
TigresMeow
Yo Adrian I luv black caulk
Posts: 1510
Location: Inside my own mind

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by TigresMeow » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:00 pm

Mary -

I was a member of Ryan's FB page until I got dumped on by someone over there. Ryan and I even had a few interesting discussions. Maybe most members there treat each other with respect but please do not tell me they all do. I experienced it first hand.

Some of the people on this board have went through this song and dance with Geraldine when Ric was writing his book/when it was released. I was not around these boards at that time. I am still waiting on concrete proof of Geraldine's story and am also waiting on answers to questions that have been raised. So far, I haven't seen/read anything.

Read the posts Ryan wrote the other day. Was that type of language called for? No, it wasn't. This was not the first time nor, I am sure, will it be the last that we read stuff like that. Do you think that is mature? Do you think the threats are from someone who is acting mature? If Ryan has such a strong case, why hasn't he done something about it? It seems to me that every so often Ryan feels the need to make threats to people on this board. What exactly is that supposed to accomplish? IF there are things on this board that belong to Ryan, all he has to do is pm Dan with the urls to the threads and show Dan the proof that whatever it is is legally Ryan's property and it will be removed. If Ryan is so concerned about that, surely he can provide that to Dan so it can be removed.

As for you getting nasty pm's from people here I am not one of them. I have no issues with stating my opinions in the open nor do I try to hide behind a screen name(s). I don't think Dan, Sherb, Max or Astonio do either. So I do not have a clue as to who is sending you these pm's. Are you sure they are from people associated with this board?

Why don't you take some time and read up on the murders and look at the evidence that has been provided here on this board. No one claims we are the end all authority on the DeFeo murders but Ryan has not offered any explanation as to the documents that have been provided in various threads in the DeFeo section of this forum. Why hasn't he? Maybe you need to ask him that question.
If you're gonna kick a tiger in the ass, you better have a plan to deal with it's teeth.

RIP 15

"Have the dogs stopped barking, Clarice?"

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9561
Contact:

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:28 pm

ScaryMary wrote:As a member of both boards, I have to say that this board has some very rude, nasty people. I was even sent threatening, rude private messages on Facebook from some of these members. I turned them over to Ryan to add to his stockpile of harassment to him and his fans. Those same people tried to spew acid all over every post on the Shattered Hopes page.
Wasn't that Christy Sullivan?

We banned her before she found the Facebook page.

So she's not "one of us".

User avatar
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul
Posts: 11566

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:55 pm

Were there rude/threatening private messages sent to you on facebook by AT members other than Christy Sullivan? I just ask because you said "some of these members," meaning more than one. Who else? I agree that is wrong.

User avatar
Rokiisun
I am the year 1989
Posts: 1135
Location: Scotland

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by Rokiisun » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:04 pm

I too thought 'CSullivan' when I read that line. I remember she was banned from here then she went on to harass Ryan at his FB page if I remember... :think:
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

kathyM
Princess
Posts: 2607

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by kathyM » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:06 pm

Wow we all think alike. I thought of CSullivan too.
I would like to hear from Mary and others about their views on this documentary and the case. I am curious as to what makes Geraldine believable to them. They should check out all sites and info that is available about this case and not just the facebook page.

I want to hear all opinions and hope they will listen too.

Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac
Posts: 2916

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by Victoria Principles » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:29 pm

BooshaGirl wrote:
VintageBoy91 wrote:
BooshaGirl wrote:...and he HATED Dawn and has described her as being "weird" to me many times. I can't say either way--I just have to take HIS word for it because he was THERE).
Just a comprehension question. Your friend said that HE hated Dawn and describes her as being "weird"? Or your friend
alleges that Ronnie hated Dawn and always described her as being "weird" ?

Sorry, I had some problems in understanding that sentence.

Interesting anyway. Was your friend one of Ronnie's good friends?
Hi...yes--my friend Tommy was good friends with Ronnie. WAS. They drifted apart when Ronnie started getting all wacko with the guns and drugs, but he knew Ronnie when they first moved into the house and they played with (maybe that's a better example--I wasn't aware the money printer was common knowledge)...okay--maybe Ryan can tell me what Ronnie had in his bedroom that the other boys envied (don't be nasty).

Tommy hated Dawn. Tommy has told me many times he thought she was very "weird." That was HIS opinion of her--when she was alive and she was RONNIE'S sister. He feels bad saying it now because she's dead--but he's an honest man and told me how he felt about her THEN. He wouldn't even take me to St. Charles cemetery when I was in NY because he still can't stand the thought that the little kids were killed. It bothers him to this day, but he says "you Amityville freaks think about it a whole lot more than us--who lived through it." Hey, I got no defense for that. I was just happy to get some "inside scoop" from someone who REALLY knew the family.

Tommy still owes Ronnie $25 bucks and always jokes he hopes Ronnie doesn't charge interest. I beg him to go to Greenhaven because he brags that "I know Ronnie will talk to me--I'm one of the only ones LEFT" and so far, no luck. Tommy isn't a CLOSE CLOSE friend of mine--he was introduced to me by by close friend who lives in Bellmore, Long Island. She knew I was "obsessed" with Amityville and knew someone who knew about it. I spent an entire day with him and have since exchanged many e-mails and phone calls. He trusts me and I don't want to lose that. He did say he'd answer any questions we have. Write them all down...number them...and I'll give them to him to answer. He already answered the very important one--that he NEVER EVER EVER saw or heard of that Geraldine broad.

so that's that. It is what it is.
Booshagirl,

I have a two questions:

1. What did he find so weird about Dawn?

2. Was the Sr. DeFeo violent to his wife and/or kids and/or others?

User avatar
astonio
Resident
Posts: 856
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by astonio » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:58 pm

When can we discuss the docu? I mean, what was inside. There were some points mentioned I would like to discuss. Dawn's kidnapping scheme, the Canadian Priest, Mr. Brigante's suspicions after the crime, not understanding Augie's inclination to play the piano in the living room to drown out Mr. and Mrs. DeFeo discussing Butch and Dawn while they remained in the basement with Bobby talking, why there are no references (yet?) about how Butch was really living in '74 and prior to, his own visits to psychologists, etc., etc., etc.
"Everywhere I went wuz like uh telephone; no answer."

ScaryMary
Amityville Member
Posts: 11

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by ScaryMary » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:06 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:
ScaryMary wrote:As a member of both boards, I have to say that this board has some very rude, nasty people. I was even sent threatening, rude private messages on Facebook from some of these members. I turned them over to Ryan to add to his stockpile of harassment to him and his fans. Those same people tried to spew acid all over every post on the Shattered Hopes page.
Wasn't that Christy Sullivan?


Yes she was one of them. Good to know she was banned from here to.

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9561
Contact:

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Who were the others?

Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac
Posts: 2916

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by Victoria Principles » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:46 am

It's obvious that Ronnie had some kind of relationship at some time in his life. The mystery is if and when they were married. Definitely don't think they were married at the time of the murders.

Another mystery is how Ronnie manages to get all these women in his life despite the fact that he is a convicted murderer and child killer.

ScaryMary
Amityville Member
Posts: 11

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by ScaryMary » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:12 am

kathyM wrote:Wow we all think alike. I thought of CSullivan too.
I would like to hear from Mary and others about their views on this documentary and the case. I am curious as to what makes Geraldine believable to them. They should check out all sites and info that is available about this case and not just the facebook page.

I want to hear all opinions and hope they will listen too.
My first post on the forum was my review of the film, feel free to read it. As far as reading available material other than Ryan's, I have read everything I could get my hands on long before I even heard of Ryan. When I first saw that another movie was being made, I thought "Oh great, someone else is profiting on this family tragedy and telling tales of the dead when they can't speak for themselves." I almost didn't visit his page because of those feelings, but as I said, I would read everything I could get my hands on. Ryan's approach was so freash and honest. I could see the he, like so many of us cared deeply about the DeFeos and the truth of how and why this happened. So with everything I have read, I do stand here to day and believe in Ryan and back him all the way. C Sullivan is just the tip of the ice of the crazies that he has had to deal with. WHY should Ryan be getting death threats? Those threats do not give the person credibility and just make them look unstable and a waste of time.
Geraldine, I do after all my arm chair research belive in her. I do know how easy it was back in the 70's for anyone with money or power or both like the mafia, could bribe or threaten to make records pertaining to anyone disappear. She still has not made one blood soaked cent from her connection to the family. She knows too many intimate details to not be legit. She and the surviving relatives HAVE stayed in contact. Ronnie JR. is a known compulsive liar, with a grain of truth in everything he spews. Ryan and Ric's behavior and motives just go to show to me that there are still some people who value truth and morality over financial and fame gain. Seriously, what point do people think they make when the make fun of Gerri's looks and Ric's birthmark? Those mean, ignorant jabs discredit any point the person is trying to make and seriously makes them look stupid.

User avatar
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul
Posts: 11566

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by Dan the Damned » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:21 pm

ScaryMary wrote:WHY should Ryan be getting death threats?
No one here is suggesting he should. Do you honestly think we condone sh*t like that?
ScaryMary wrote:Ronnie JR. is a known compulsive liar
ScaryMary wrote:Ryan's approach was so freash and honest. I could see the he, like so many of us cared deeply about the DeFeos and the truth of how and why this happened.
Aha! But don't you see that "Ryan's story" is just one of many versions that Ronnie gave? So Ryan's story came from Ronnie, a known compulsive liar.
ScaryMary wrote:I do know how easy it was back in the 70's for anyone with money or power or both like the mafia, could bribe or threaten to make records pertaining to anyone disappear.
Too bad the mafia didn't use their scary powers to save their own members from being caught. And too bad Geraldine already visited Ronnie in jail (where she would have been identified as "Mrs DeFeo") prior to her being told that she had to go into hiding.

Honestly, this whole BS with the mafia conveniently destroying any proof of DeFeo's 1974 marriage is the silliest part of Geraldine's story. Even sillier than when she gave conflicting dates/years for their marriage and tried to explain it away by saying that they kept renewing their vows. :roll:
ScaryMary wrote:She still has not made one blood soaked cent from her connection to the family.
You don't know that for a fact. I suspect she has (or hopes to), but honestly I don't know, either.
ScaryMary wrote:She knows too many intimate details to not be legit.
She teamed up with Ronnie back around 1985. It was way back then that they hatched the scheme to pretend they were married (back when Ronnie was trying to get a new trial). She has had plenty of time to get this story straight in her head.
ScaryMary wrote:Ryan and Ric's behavior and motives just go to show to me that there are still some people who value truth and morality over financial and fame gain.
Yeah? If that's the case, why don't they simply publish their findings on a free website like we do? Why do we have to buy Ric's book? Why does Ryan refuse to answer so many questions because, as he claims, all will be revealed in his film? Sounds like they are all about financial gain to me.
ScaryMary wrote:Seriously, what point do people think they make when the make fun of Gerri's looks and Ric's birthmark? Those mean, ignorant jabs discredit any point the person is trying to make and seriously makes them look stupid.
Well, yeah, that isn't nice, is it? But we're not perfect. Things like that happen in the heat of an argument. Just like Ryan's rants, when he makes fun of my weight and all that. So yes, I'll agree that it makes us look stupid, just as I agree that you feel it makes Ryan look stupid as well. :P

kathyM
Princess
Posts: 2607

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by kathyM » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:47 pm

Mary, you sound familiar to me. Are you skyelyte? or Mary *****?

Geraldine is a known animal hoarder and has had troubles with the law. I have a hard time just taking her story for truth with no proof. Everything she said is Ronnie's own story. The whole mafia thing is a little over the top. They got rid of all evidence of her being around?

What relatives would she even be in touch with? I thought they all have passed on long ago. Yet again that is her saying that. No relatives have mentioned her. If she was around at the time of the murders the police would have heard about her wouldnt they?

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9561
Contact:

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:21 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:Yeah? If that's the case, why don't they simply publish their findings on a free website like we do? Why do we have to buy Ric's book? Why does Ryan refuse to answer so many questions because, as he claims, all will be revealed in his film? Sounds like they are all about financial gain to me.
As you know, I disagree here!

I've witnessed both Ric and Ryan follow a similar path - both said their book/movie would change views on a global scale, however, both spent money upfront they had little hope of recovering... especially as both releases were small enough to be termed "cult".

Ric infered some big publishers were sniffing around his book for a year or so, then it limped out on Print-on-Demand. His real publishing deal came later via Katco... but only 50-150 copies were run-off!

And very little promotion.

Again, Shattered Hopes is another "in-house" release with no promotion.

Neither of them aspire to breaking even, let alone making a profit.

Strange I know... maybe it's an issue of "control". Witness Ryan turning down a TV Deal because an hour version would not work (before blaming the collapsed deal on others) then the collapse of his 11th-hour distribution deal (although again, it was the others) so maybe the satisfaction comes from fooling people with the content they have created?

If you control the release, then you control the content.

Which is why they hate us, because we keep reminding people what's NOT in the book or film, and what's outside the bubble of their narrative...

That's my theory anyway. What Diana, Gail and the other guy get out of it, who knows...

User avatar
astonio
Resident
Posts: 856
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by astonio » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:13 pm

So, it's $$$ vs. content? One of the producers concluded via the FB page that Ronnie is a 'mass-murderer' and did not necessarily lean toward an ambiguous conclusion as the the researcher/director has. She pretty much screamed Team AT.

...hmmm, maybe it is all about the Benjamins, baby.
"Everywhere I went wuz like uh telephone; no answer."

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9561
Contact:

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:38 pm

But how are they going to generate over $200,000 via Facebook and third-rate Paranormal Podcasts..?

User avatar
astonio
Resident
Posts: 856
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by astonio » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:16 pm

Maybe via the inflated cost for delivery? I sent mine elsewhere and the cost was $2.05.
"Everywhere I went wuz like uh telephone; no answer."

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict
Posts: 469
Location: Germany

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by VintageBoy91 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:51 pm

Victoria Principles wrote:It's obvious that Ronnie had some kind of relationship at some time in his life. The mystery is if and when they were married. Definitely don't think they were married at the time of the murders.

Another mystery is how Ronnie manages to get all these women in his life despite the fact that he is a convicted murderer and child killer.
Some women adore criminals and prisoners. I don't know why but they do. :think:

Post Reply