Shattered Hopes DVD Review

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by Rokiisun » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:47 pm

:cry: It's quite a shame really, I haven't noticed any name-calling or personal attacks from this end.
All I have really seen is heated debates and some criticisms made which is a normal thing for people
to do with media content.

Anyways, I'm chatting with Mary just now about the documentary over there 8-)

I've also tried to clear up the misconception with some of shattered's members that they have about this board.
It really is a nice place here - sure some things may have been said from both sides at one point or another
without anybody realizing it but that's a common thing in heated debates, discussions or criticisms (even outside the world
web).

It's like if someone said to me, 'I like your hair. I was going to get my hair cut like that but decided not to.'
I may take that completely the wrong way and think to myself, 'Oh gosh does my hair really look that bad?' when really,
the person just worded their sentence wrong. Just like someone can take something the wrong way in a discussion.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:08 pm

Thank you!

I wasn't happy with her recent comment -
ScaryMary wrote:I seriously don't need to go back as they are heavey handed about rewriting your posts, giving out your info, and not answering your questions. That is what little minds do, that and banning you when you are a fan and/or friend of Ryan's.
- which makes us sound bad. If anyone scrolls back to her posts, we only edited out the name of the woman who did not want her real name on the site. Mary has the right to ask for her real name to be removed, but doing so by continuingly re-posting the other woman's name was not the way to do it.

We do not ban people just because they are friends of Ryan's... after all, we allow Ryan himself to post!

And Boneman!

Shawn
Been there, Done that

Post by Shawn » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Rokiisun wrote::cry: It's quite a shame really, I haven't noticed any name-calling or personal attacks from this end.
All I have really seen is heated debates and some criticisms made which is a normal thing for people
to do with media content.

Anyways, I'm chatting with Mary just now about the documentary over there 8-)

I've also tried to clear up the misconception with some of shattered's members that they have about this board.
It really is a nice place here - sure some things may have been said from both sides at one point or another
without anybody realizing it but that's a common thing in heated debates, discussions or criticisms (even outside the world
web).

It's like if someone said to me, 'I like your hair. I was going to get my hair cut like that but decided not to.'
I may take that completely the wrong way and think to myself, 'Oh gosh does my hair really look that bad?' when really,
the person just worded their sentence wrong. Just like someone can take something the wrong way in a discussion.
That's cool....I'm glad that you are not being tarred and feathered like some of us were.

This, however, is hilarious. Mary is, like I suspected earlier, either completely ignorant or just plain stupid:
ScaryMary wrote:‎"Banned" Hmmm, who is their little spy here on the Shattered Hopes page? Who ever you are you little coward, why don't you step forward and be truthful about who you are and your motives like we are on your board. Taking my, or anyone elses posts here and posting them over there when the poster is banned and can't even defend the post, makes you sleezy and I know Ryan will find out who you are.
Little spy???? A spy at a PUBLIC facebook page? :roll:

And of coarse Ryan will find out who "we" are...he's good at that....you know, stalking, blackmail, threats of bodily harm, purchasing info on his facebook fans...threatening frivolous lawsuits...using the private information of his customers to harass them including posting private emails and email addresses.... Great guy you are defending there, toots. :fp:
Any and all comments made by the poster "Shawn" are purely his opinion and do not reflect the opinions of the board owners, administrators or moderators. Also, all postings done by the member "Shawn" are property of "Shawn" and cannot be reproduced in any way shape or form without written permission from the poster known here(@http://www.amityvillefaq.com) as "Shawn". TIA.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:32 am

In the interest of fairness I've removed Mary's real name from this thread, so she doesn't have to wait until next week to ask again.

So now this review thread has been derailed - in no small part by the director himself! - anyone else got any reviews..?

Jacobmarley1
Amityville Addict

Post by Jacobmarley1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:03 am

sherbetbizarre wrote: anyone else got any reviews..?
Sadly, I think all the people who have bought the film have already reviewed it here. That's it. ;)

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:17 am

Probably so true. :)

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:31 am

I've already posted mines. Will have to wait for part II to post my next one :D
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:31 am

Nekromantik wrote:I want to see this but cannot justify $18 + shipping.
From what I have read its hit or miss.
I do hope Ryan lets Amazon sell it after a few months so I can get it cheap.
Plus he has the cheek for charging $1 more for international orders! The extra cost of shipping to outside US would be reflected in the higher shipping cost only!
From what I understand there is no difference between the two.

Both versions are NTSC, and, as they play in both Europe and Australia, they are Region Free (which Amazon confirms)

However, last December there was some attempt to make an "International version" -
SHATTERED HOPES: THE TRUE STORY OF THE AMITYVILLE MURDERS wrote:YES, indeed. It will be available in France. We're hoping it will be available on the 16th of December when it becomes available stateside; BUT, there could be an authoring issue with the Region II's - we hope to know within the week, and we're optimistic that there will be no delay.
So it seems the "authoring issue" were never resolved (presumably this was an aborted attempt to make a PAL conversion) and yet... overseas customers pay a mysterious $1 extra if buying direct from Katco :think:

Nekromantik
Amityville Member

Post by Nekromantik » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:23 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Plus he has the cheek for charging $1 more for international orders! The extra cost of shipping to outside US would be reflected in the higher shipping cost only!
From what I understand there is no difference between the two.

Both versions are NTSC, and, as they play in both Europe and Australia, they are region free (which Amazon confirms)

However, last December there was some attempt to make an "International version" -
SHATTERED HOPES: THE TRUE STORY OF THE AMITYVILLE MURDERS wrote:YES, indeed. It will be available in France. We're hoping it will be available on the 16th of December when it becomes available stateside; BUT, there could be an authoring issue with the Region II's - we hope to know within the week, and we're optimistic that there will be no delay.
So it seems the "authoring issue" was never resolved (presumably this was an attempt to make a PAL conversion) and yet... overseas customers pay a mysterious $1 extra if buying direct from Katco :think:
I think I will wait until this is around $10 at amazon!

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:12 pm

I could see myself browsing a garage sale and finding a copy
in the bin marked.."anything in this bin .25"

I'll wait till then:)
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of
the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

tomspy77
Son of Davros

Post by tomspy77 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:38 am

I know I've mentioned this before but this is the ONLY reason I have not bought a copy. The shipping rates are nutty.

I posted a comment on the SH Facebook page as he said he might use different options such as media mail, but as far as I saw I never got a response.

Don't know if I just got lost in the shuffle or it's because I post here and my name is my sig... *shrugs*

Still would love to see it for myself the mix of reviews here makes me curious as to what my eyes would make of it after all this BS and debate lmao.

High Hopes
High Hopes on Ocean Avenue

Post by High Hopes » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:07 am

I reviewed enough of it on youtube to know I wouldn't let a friend loan it to me to watch. I could spend my time doing something better like watching the sun in the sky. The editing an music is enough to make you think your tripping acid in a mental hospital. The acting would have been better if a kindergarden class preformed it on stage. The dialog is.....Damn, im speechless...retarded just about covers it. A friend an I watched a portion of it an he knows nothing over the case other than the movies. And he said it was the worst thing he has seen! He busted out laughing after I told him it has taken 10 years to come up with this. That this was part 1 of 3. He looked at me an said, If I catch you watching this, I'll do you a favor, slap you an use this DVD as a freesbe.

Point to be noted: Save you hard earned money an find the truth right here. Shattered Hopes is based on a fraud an directed by a Loser who thinks he's on to something. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!!

Now thats a review. :dance: :shock:
"The wheel locked" I'd blame Detorit, a lot faster than I would the Devil!

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:48 am

tomspy77 wrote:
I know I've mentioned this before but this is the ONLY reason I have not bought a copy. The shipping rates are nutty.
What about the Amazon option?

tomspy77
Son of Davros

Post by tomspy77 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:08 pm

Actually was thinking of that myself, I have to check it out, the shipping should be reasonable so maybe the next time I get paid by that paper I work for I can spluge a bit! ;-)

tomspy77
Son of Davros

Post by tomspy77 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:35 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:
tomspy77 wrote:
What about the Amazon option?
No dice. They are out of stock at the moment and it is still 17.99, more then most feature films are at places like Wal-Mart or actual video stores. So unless I buy something else to make my bill twenty five bucks it would be about the same.

However if I do purchase a copy it will be through here as I really don't want Ryan having my address due to him threatening me to brought into a lawsuit so...

But for those of you you who disliked the film you can always turn it in for an eight dollar Amazon gift card, just saying...

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:18 am

SHATTERED HOPES: THE TRUE STORY OF THE AMITYVILLE MURDERS wrote:Well, with Part I, a lot of the story was about VERIFYING the info through the accounts of the people who were there. A lot of this info has, factually, been presented before, but never in a FIRST HAND account, and with substantiated documents, as we did. Part I laid the groundwork....now, Part II is going to take it from there like never before.
Does Part I really have first-hand accounts which varify the main narrative - or he saying he's proved Geraldine was "factually there"? I was under the impression the DeFeo friends talked more about their own experiences - but do they back up the narrative as told by Ric, Ryan and Gerri?

And how are those "substantiated documents"? Do they satisfy that the thrust of the story is being told correctly?

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:49 am

Part 1 was a waste of money. Does anyone still listen to what this guy says or even take him seriously? The people at A&E obviously dont.

I must have been asleep sometime during part 1 because I dont remember seeing any documents. Oh, thats right, I have to buy parts 2 and 3 and 20 to see them!

msmart112
Amityville_Member

Post by msmart112 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:22 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:Does Part I really have first-hand accounts which varify the main narrative - or he saying he's proved Geraldine was "factually there"? I was under the impression the DeFeo friends talked more about their own experiences - but do they back up the narrative as told by Ric, Ryan and Gerri?
While Ric, Ryan, Gerri, and Joel Martin referred to the family as dysfunctional...here’s what Gloria Gangitano had to say...

"They were a nice family."

"He (Mr. DeFeo) seemed like the average guy, very generous, always trying to help the children."

...and here’s what Anthony Gangitano had to say...

"Ronald Sr., he was rigid, but very nice, always nice to us."

...and from one of the clips that Ryan had previously uploaded (but didn’t make it into the film)...Anthony Gangitano said...

"Dawn was just the older sister. When she was home with us, with the kids, she would come and always was nice, and say hello and stop, you know, like an older sister. She was really just very pleasant."

...imagine that.

:roll:

As for any attempt to prove that Geraldine was factually there...none at all.

In fact...in one of the bonus segments...Ryan says...

"Both Anthony Gangitano and his mother, Gloria Gangitano, knew the DeFeos. They knew them very, very well."

...followed later by Anthony saying...

"I didn’t realize how much, that, Ronnie had a wife, Geraldine."

...how could Anthony Gangitano not have known that Ronnie was married if Anthony slept over at the DeFeo house on such a regular basis?

After all...from TNTDD we got...
Geraldine Gates and Ric Osuna wrote:Although she was only an in-law, the DeFeo world was a strange and dysfunctional one to Geraldine. She did her best to spend time routinely at the DeFeo house and observed both the good times and the bad times.
...so again... how could Anthony Gangitano not have known that Ronnie was married when he and Ronnie’s alleged wife were both at the DeFeo house on such a regular basis?

And even if Anthony Gangitano and Geraldine had somehow never crossed paths...wouldn’t he have at least HEARD about Geraldine from Marc?

Or wouldn’t his mother have at least HEARD about Geraldine from Mrs. DeFeo?

Since Mrs. Gangitano and Mrs. DeFeo were such good friends...wouldn't Mrs. DeFeo have mentioned her daughter-in-law and her granddaughter?

And since Geraldine claims to have been at the visitation...wouldn't Anthony Gangitano and his mother have met Geraldine then?

In this clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbABnP3Wp4U

...Roger Nonnewitz says (regarding Geraldine)...

"I met her in Long Island, and we went to Bill’s, Bill Weber’s office. At the time there was a book out, another movie or something came out, and Bill Weber was getting all the proceeds and money, and he wanted me and Geraldine to go over there and try and get money from him at the time."

...if Ryan took the time to ask Mr. Nonnewitz...on camera...about meeting Geraldine AFTER the murders...why didn’t Ryan take the time to ask Mr. Nonnewitz about meeting Geraldine BEFORE the murders?

Miz Kizzle
Amityville Addict

Post by Miz Kizzle » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:36 am

Seems like Geraldine has a lot in common with Fransziska Schanzkowska, the Polish factory worker who passed herself off as the Grand Dutchess Anastasia for many years. If it weren't for the development of DNA testing we'd still be wondering if her story was true.
Yes, Geraldine knows a lot of stray details about the DeFeos that only someone close to them would be likely to know but she had the best possible coach in Ronnie. Con artists are very good at being convincing. They know the key to success is getting their victims to believe what they desperately WANT to believe.
I have yet to order the DVD. I'll probably give in and do it at some point, but I really don't want to encourage Ryan et al in their evil accusations against murder victims who can't speak up and defend themselves.
Plus, from the clips I've seen, the music is horribly cheesy and the acting is dreadful.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

A Glowing Review

Post by Dan the Damned » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:25 pm

Just got my copy of Shat Hopes last week, and I gotta tell ya...

I LOVE IT!

I don't care about the DVD package stinking of cigarette smoke, or about the lack of subtitles and a chapter menu. I don't even care about that 60-second montage that you have to sit through each time you select the Main Menu.

The sound levels were horrible, but that didn't cause me any concern. I enjoyed having to turn up the volume to hear what Ed Asner was saying only to have some crappy music suddenly blare out at me a few moments later.

The acting was pretty bad, but I knew I couldn't blame them for their performances. Remembering what Ryan told us about one of the actors seeing the finished film and exclaiming, "Oh, now I understand my character's motivation" (or words to that effect) made me realize that Ryan hadn't done his job explaining his script to the actors, so they were playing blind. And this is Ryan's first film, so how can you blame him for seriously f*cking up in that regard? Nah, that's okay.

I also didn't mind Ed Asner's narration. I love Ed Asner, and it pained me to hear him reading some of Ryan's horribly-constructed lines like "Sometime in 1963, Louise, fed up with Butch's father's abuse, left him." At times it sounded like Ed wanted to vomit rather than continue reading those horrible lines, but he carried forward. Gotta give him props for that.

Now I know what you're thinking. "But Dan, surely the inconsistency of the film's timing/pace really annoyed you, right? You know, like when everything slows to a crawl as we watch a reenactment of Dawn's boyfriend hemming and hawing for 5 minutes before telling her that his family is moving to Florida?"

No, that didn't bother me one bit, just like it didn't bother me when Ed Asner was forced to spend valuable time listing the exact birthdates (day, month and year) of each family member. And hey, I love watching needless montages of "present day Las Vegas." Who doesn't?
Abraham Lincoln wrote:But Dan, didn't you feel the storyline was all over the place? Don't you think the average viewer will get lost in that jumbled-up mess presented to us by Ryan Katzenhack?
Thank you Mr President, but there's no need to call Ryan names.

No, not even that aspect of Shat Hopes: The Conspiracy Theorist's Guide to the Amityville Murders irritated me. I've heard Ryan speak, so I know he can be a lot more jumbled than that in real life.

No, dear readers, I did, indeed, truly love this film. Am I being sarcastic? Well consider this: the reenactments presented to us (such as the scene of Ronnie being beaten by his father for dropping a napkin at the dinner table) are totally laughable. So totally ludicrous, that I feel they do a far better job than we can ever do of explaining why Geraldine's story is just flat-out ridiculous.

Carry on, Ryan! Good show!

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:43 am

:clap:

You beat me to it... I still haven't written my review up yet.