Shattered Hopes DVD Review

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac
Posts: 1607

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by scipio-USMC » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:59 am

For fun I decided to see if anyone reviewed it anywhere else and the only reviews I can find are on Amazon. IMDB doesn't even have any reviews yet. Many of the reviews seem to be from KATCO. The clowns are so desperate they are posting their own reviews using aliases of course thus pretending to be average people.

Look at this one:

"I have seen this documentary and I am wondering why there are some haters posting negative reviews? Could it be they can't stand the truth, that they are in denial and they are trying to scare away potential buyers from viewing this well-researched story...one that has never been told? Instead, these people want you to believe in the haunted house hoax, aka The Amityville Horror. I don't know about you, but the fact that the producers of Shattered Hopes also just found the remnants of a .38 pistol that is widely believed to be used in the murders, along with the marlin rifle, is an indication to me that they are onto something. Do yourself a favor and watch Shattered Hopes and make up your own mind."

Is there any doubt at all that Ryan posted this piece of crap (with his signature haters crap) and even lied by saying it was a 38 found when in fact he can't say whther it was a 22, 32 or 38 S&W NOT 38 special.

He also clearly posted this one:

"I have been an avid fan of the Amityville story since I can remember, but it came full force back in February 1989 with my first reading of "The Amityville Horror". I chose to read this because my mother had picked up a copy of "High Hopes" at the library at the same time. Needless to say I was hooked with both stories and enjoyed comparing and contrasting the two stories.

I must commend the producers on every aspect of this documentary. They have welcomed us back to Amityville circa 1974! It is everything that a fan has ever wanted to see and hear and would be welcomed by any newcomer as well. For me, this has been 23 years in the making.

The small snippet of the movie "The Amityville Horror", brought everything full circle. Hearing the first bar of that chilling theme is acknowledging the past sensationalism of this story and really places you in the context, for that theme IS that movie, and to use a bar ties in the documentary perfectly. I was hoping that they going to somehow use that theme and I am glad it showed up despite what we now know it to be.

Telling the "official story" in brief will bring any person with vague familiarity of the murders up to speed and help them recall what has been written and presented prior in newspapers, books, on TV and in the movie(s).

The flow of the story is well paced. I was always wondering how Geraldine ( a highly controversial character who has to be questioned and whether she was there or knows everything 100%, she knows enough to portray the DeFeo's) would come to play in this film. I got the impression that she was "A " story teller, but not of her story, because really, I never felt for one moment that this story was about her. Otherwise you would have a documentary called "My Life as a DeFeo"! She is rough on the outside, but inside I think her heart shined for love of a family that she knew and yes you could tell, it still hurts. The doubts raised about her by many critics seem to be erased. The only factoid that I did not see or was left out was the fact Geraldine surfaced in a Newsday article in March 1986, so it makes it sound like Ric discovered her in that 1999 phone call (which was well done) and she made herself known only to Ric. (This point gets clarified by the producers later on - stating that they wanted to tell the story of how the whole project came to be put together in 1999)

Having the experts tell us what was happening is something nobody has done before with this story. We are always led to believe that it was solely Butch that should be blamed and that he was ungrateful for what his family gave him. When mixed in with the personal stories of the family friends interviewed, this makes them real. You needed them to tell this story, you needed that insight and I am extremely happy that they participated.

The recreations and reenactments of the DeFeo family was extremely well done. I almost like how this was not high end acting or "CSI" acting, but it was what you would expect to hear and see if you actually set up a video tape in the DeFeo home. It brings a reality to the film. Jon Southwell as Big Ronnie played a cunning and very much the liking to hate character when he gets more and more manic. Diana as Louise I felt, for no prior acting, really portrayed her as I would have imagined her. I always felt Louise was minimalized in many of the other stories and here the "learned helplessness" shines through, something we really did not know. The regality that emanated from her portrait was reflected on screen. She was faithful to her husband and family while they all crumbled around her. There were really brought the DeFeo's to life, made them real human beings who lived in a house in Amityville.

I also appreciate how Butch is not the main focus of this documentary, because I am sure we see him more in Parts 2 & 3. Sullivan and others always made it out that Butch was the sole reason behind the murders, but it is depicted so well as to how each member of the family was on a course of self destruction. I almost feel that if Butch (and to be seen others, Dawn) did not murder his family, Big Ronnie and even Louise would have taken matters into their own hands to get themselves out of the hell that they lived in. Leaving out portrayals of Marc and John and mostly Allison, leaves them with their innocence of childhood which is how they need to be remembered.

The choice of portraying the house as a character prominently in this film was a great choice as it was always an important role! This is not a haunted house, but the false facade of the DeFeo's "High Hope's". To the outside, it was the American dream but inside it held so much horror that a few would ever see. You take us inside the walls of this house and the hell that blossomed the day that Ronnie and Louise met. Calling it Big Ronnie's castle was so appropriate and how it reflected on him and who he was is a story not many have heard. The story of a "well to do car salesman" is shattered here. His castle was only his in name and its occupants were prisoners. You truly shatter all the misconceptions of what was depicted by media and cranks over the past 37 years.

The most haunting and emotional segment has to be the "Ave Maria" and the dark shadow handing Butch the gun. Because although you know the outcome, the producers present a story of the life of the DeFeo's, something nobody has ever done (with the horrible exception of Amityville II). And unlike a reviewer of that film, who said, "frankly you do not care what happens to the family". You make us care, you make us get into the minds and actions of the DeFeo's and for a moment until that "Ave Maria", you almost hope that they work things out. In the many times I have viewed this DVD, I have gotten tears in my eyes at this point every time. That is excellent work.

The word I hear a lot in this film is "hope". When Geraldine ends with "Augie playing the piano, in hopes they did not hear the conversation", it heart wrenching that all the hopes are gone.

Technicalities:

The music makes your heart pump with the excitement of the story and brings the emotion that life was extremely high strung.

The mixing of archive news footage, Holzer's - "Murder in Amityville" and new reinacted cuts flow seamlessly, they aide the storytelling greatly.

I honestly do not have anything negative to say, because frankly, I wanted this story and this is what I got. This is what I wanted to know in 1989!

My thought is, after viewing this, if you had a several million dollar big budget to produce this film, it would not be as good as it is now. You are telling a magnificent story, the images are supplementary, for you could broadcast this on a radio program and you would get the same effect. For anyone who wants high caliber/ high end Hollywood special effects is not looking for a good story, and in this case, telling the story of the DeFeo family and bringing it to light along with their dignity to who they were will always be a better story than a heavily makeup-ed actor wielding a gun chasing his family around a house. They took the time and the years to care, and in this age of sensationalism, the finished product is a success."

http://www.amazon.com/Shattered-Hopes-A ... B006W2TYZM

People from here who saw it should post reviews there. I bet everytime a negative review pops up he will create another fake glowing review with 5 stars. That right there shows the chlidish mentality being dealth with.

User avatar
msmart112
Amityville_Member
Posts: 1921

Re: A Glowing Review

Post by msmart112 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:39 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:Just got my copy of Shat Hopes last week, and I gotta tell ya...

I LOVE IT!

I don't care about the DVD package stinking of cigarette smoke, or about the lack of subtitles and a chapter menu. I don't even care about that 60-second montage that you have to sit through each time you select the Main Menu.

The sound levels were horrible, but that didn't cause me any concern. I enjoyed having to turn up the volume to hear what Ed Asner was saying only to have some crappy music suddenly blare out at me a few moments later.

The acting was pretty bad, but I knew I couldn't blame them for their performances. Remembering what Ryan told us about one of the actors seeing the finished film and exclaiming, "Oh, now I understand my character's motivation" (or words to that effect) made me realize that Ryan hadn't done his job explaining his script to the actors, so they were playing blind. And this is Ryan's first film, so how can you blame him for seriously f*cking up in that regard? Nah, that's okay.

I also didn't mind Ed Asner's narration. I love Ed Asner, and it pained me to hear him reading some of Ryan's horribly-constructed lines like "Sometime in 1963, Louise, fed up with Butch's father's abuse, left him." At times it sounded like Ed wanted to vomit rather than continue reading those horrible lines, but he carried forward. Gotta give him props for that.

Now I know what you're thinking. "But Dan, surely the inconsistency of the film's timing/pace really annoyed you, right? You know, like when everything slows to a crawl as we watch a reenactment of Dawn's boyfriend hemming and hawing for 5 minutes before telling her that his family is moving to Florida?"

No, that didn't bother me one bit, just like it didn't bother me when Ed Asner was forced to spend valuable time listing the exact birthdates (day, month and year) of each family member. And hey, I love watching needless montages of "present day Las Vegas." Who doesn't?
Abraham Lincoln wrote:But Dan, didn't you feel the storyline was all over the place? Don't you think the average viewer will get lost in that jumbled-up mess presented to us by Ryan Katzenhack?
Thank you Mr President, but there's no need to call Ryan names.

No, not even that aspect of Shat Hopes: The Conspiracy Theorist's Guide to the Amityville Murders irritated me. I've heard Ryan speak, so I know he can be a lot more jumbled than that in real life.

No, dear readers, I did, indeed, truly love this film. Am I being sarcastic? Well consider this: the reenactments presented to us (such as the scene of Ronnie being beaten by his father for dropping a napkin at the dinner table) are totally laughable. So totally ludicrous, that I feel they do a far better job than we can ever do of explaining why Geraldine's story is just flat-out ridiculous.

Carry on, Ryan! Good show!
Great review, Dan!

:applause:
Image

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9728
Contact:

Review: Part 1 of a trilogy in three parts

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:21 pm

Review: Part 1 of a trilogy in three parts

As the, uh, early 1970’s were wearing on” offers Ryan Katzenbach at 47:45 “Things at 112 Ocean Avenue were just getting tougher and tougher…” and I’m thinking why is the director dictating this story? The dvd box promises it would be “told by the people who were there…” So why, after introducing the Gangitano’s and Mr Nonnewitz, does the director keep popping up, telling us what went down?

Isn’t a documentary director meant to be impartial? Not when he’s installed himself as “Amityville Researcher” I guess… And, as interesting as the Gangitano/Nonnewitz segments are, great chunks of this story are narrated by the unholy trinity of Ric, Ryan and Gerri!

Dan the Damned wrote:The sound levels were horrible, but that didn't cause me any concern. I enjoyed having to turn up the volume to hear what Ed Asner was saying only to have some crappy music suddenly blare out at me a few moments later.
Yeah, that was great. Everytime we hear a gunshot or Deadfall Rd. it's guaranteed to wake the house up :roll:

Here's some more observations:

The Opening Credits become too excited along with the music. There’s barely time to read some of the names.

Opening montage: Cut, cut, cut, cut, cut. You need to be pretty coked-up to appreciate the speed of these images. How about I’d like to see a bit of “laid back” Amityville?

6:00 Lovely pointless montage of Las Vegas. Why do we need this? Because it’s “Home to Amityville Author and Researcher Ric Osuna”! :roll:

8:50I will not go back in that house! I will not go back in that house!” FTW!

14:07 Ric says “I was approached by a documentary set of producers (sic) …I signed on under the idea that this was going to be a factual documentary” So, the Histories Mysteries 2-parter was not factual… because they turned down Geraldine?!?!

14:35 Ed Asner narrates - “Ric Osuna was finding successes as a documentary producer” – I’m not sure how he could be “finding successes” when he bailed on production months before it aired, demanding his name be removed!

15:00 Phone call re-enactment between Ric and Geraldine, where she tells Ric his website is “the worst piece of crap I ever seen” – is hilarious. Ric cannot act. Not even when playing himself. Her phoning him out-of-the-blue is garbage anyway. They met online via her phoney “son”

15:59 Ric regarding Histories Mysteries - “Doing the documentary left me with a bad taste in my mouth with regards to several participants who wanted money for their story.” Huh? Did he think no-one should be paid for appearing on the History Channel? Did everyone work for free on Shat Hopes?

16:46 Ed Asner “Prior to the phone call from Geraldine DeFeo, there’d been no mention in any historical account of the story as to Butch DeFeo’s marriage (*). A very sceptical Ric Osuna began putting Geraldine through a gauntlet of questions.

(*)Not true

Most of these questions were Gerri’s knowledge of the then unseen crime scene photos.

But here’s something Ric neglects to mention. Back in 2000 he wrote:
Ric Osuna wrote:July 5th, 2000
If what this woman tells me proves correct the something very fishy happened at the crime scene. The photo I have seen of Dawn lying in bed does not jive with what she says the crime scene looked like – yes she actually went in the day after.
It was a good way to hook Ric in – telling him “I was there”... But once he refined her story he left this out, (she later elaborated that she saw blood and brain-matter on the Dawn's walls, which was quickly hushed up by the police. I’m guessing Ric realised the crime scene photos covered Dawn’s bedroom pretty well, and suppressed this claim by the time his book came out. I do not expect Gerri of Shattered Hopes to be repeating this BS either.)

And right there is why we’ve ragging on this project since day one, and why it’s not a personal vendetta against Katzenbach (although he likes to claim so)

So, Ric grills her for “50 hours” on the phone, and we’re supposed to take his word that she passed his tests, because –

24.30 “Geraldine DeFeo-Gates” is now elevated to one of the official storytellers – and no further questions as to her authenticity!

29:40 This has been mentioned before - Esner “It was in the early 1970’s that a young Geraldine crossed paths 17 year old Ronnie DeFeo.” Immediately followed by Gerri saying “I met Butch somewhere around 1969” !

41:15 Dr Kathleen Puckett “It was a relatively small house, but they all had their own rooms (sic)”

To be continued...

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9728
Contact:

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:56 am

Part II

1:23:17 Gerri on Alison - sounds exactly like someone who never actually knew the person!

1:25:40 Katzenbach: "Michael Brigante at this time, was factually being wiretapped." The word "factually" used here - along with newspaper scans backing this up - makes it sound as if he has no facts to support anything else he says!

1:28:37 Katzenabach: "Lin Nonnewitz recounted in an email to Ric Osuna..." Over which emails are quickly scanned, containing such gems from Lin to Ric as -

"The picture you put on line was one I sent to Butch"

"How can you say the one's who know what went on in The DeFeo house are too old?"

"Why are you doing this? For what truth?

"Who gave you the pictures?"

:fp:

1:41:12 Gloria Gangitano: "Mark couldn't put any weight on his foot" if you didn't know the story, this would make no sense. There's one vague reverence to Marc having a "football injury" -- made over half-an-hour before!

To be continued...

User avatar
astonio
Resident
Posts: 865
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by astonio » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:18 am

Ooh, ooh! Sherb!! Transcribe Roger's statement regarding Dawn and Billy. And when you have, all will see the man didn't really say anything at all. It's like his statement regarding the red phone, and I'm paraphrasing: There was a red phone. I didn't know the number. I never seen it. But Linn said it was there. (And really, that's ALL he said. WTH DID he say then???)
"Everywhere I went wuz like uh telephone; no answer."

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9728
Contact:

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:57 am

And his one line about the phone is abruptly cut into the narrative, something like "My wife said they had a red phone, that's all I know about that..."!

User avatar
astonio
Resident
Posts: 865
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by astonio » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:11 am

Exactly!!! LOL!!!

Why would Ryan even ask him this question about the phone? One would do so looking for sensationalism since the "wives' tale" urban legend surrounding the red phone was to keep "tabs" on Mrs. DeFeo. What information could the housekeeper's husband provide in this area? Really.
"Everywhere I went wuz like uh telephone; no answer."

User avatar
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul
Posts: 11648

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by Dan the Damned » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:42 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:24.30 “Geraldine DeFeo-Gates” now is now elevated to one of the official storytellers – and no further questions as to her authenticity!
Yes, despite Ryan's earlier objections, all our previous discussion of Geraldine's background remains perfectly valid. Ronnie is depicted as living with Geraldine in New Jersey at the time of the murders. There is no hint at this being a controversial matter -- it is presented as fact. The viewer doesn't know that the only source for this is Geraldine, herself. The viewer has no idea at the controversy behind Geraldine's story.
sherbetbizarre wrote:15:59 Ric regarding Histories Mysteries - “Doing the documentary left me with a bad taste in my mouth with regards to several participants who wanted money for their story.” Huh? Did he think no-one should be paid for appearing on the History Channel? Did everyone work for free on Shat Hopes?
He uses this to explain why he trusted Geraldine -- that because she didn't want fame or money she must be telling the truth. But what about the fact that Stephanie could inherit all or part of Ronnie's estate if Geraldine can prove she is Ronnie's kid? Isn't that motive enough for her to lie?

Speaking of which, Ric is also shown explaining his reasoning for leaving the History Channel production. He says he knew the documentary was basically done, but he wanted them to go back and interview Geraldine and re-edit the show. To his surprise they refused. Ric claims the History Channel "wanted it scary" and "didn't want to deviate from the whole 'haunted house' approach." But that makes no sense, as that program talks a lot about the 'hoax evidence' and gives plenty of air time to people like Roxanne Kaplan, who refer to the Lutzes as liars. So how is that "keeping it scary"? Obviously it seems to be a simple case of the program being finished and the producers not wanting to remake the entire show, especially when Geraldine couldn't (and still can't) offer any proof of her story.

Indeed, by showing "the other side of the coin," the History Channel documentary is a lot more fair than Ryan's biased film.

Another example of Ryan's bias comes at the 24-minute mark, where he talks about Brigante's testimony (the story of Ronnie's dad pushing him when he was 2 years old). As he does with most everything, Ryan pops up to recap this testimony for us. But as he is speaking, we are not shown the actual testimony from Brigante. Instead, we are shown a snippet from Herman Race's unpublished novel (a novel about the DeFeo murders) which is a flagrant and wild exaggeration of the event as told in the court transcripts. But Race's version is what we see, so for the average viewer who doesn't know any better, it becomes fact. (Max went into detail on this point last month: link)
sherbetbizarre wrote:The dvd box promises it would be “told by the people who were there…” So why, after introducing the Gangitano’s and Mr Nonnewitz, does the director keep popping up, telling us what went down?
Great point! Ryan wasn't there. Ric wasn't there. And we have a mountain of evidence pointing to Geraldine not being there, either. Yet these three are the ones who we see on screen most often, cramming this revisionist BS down our throats. Ryan claimed he had hundreds upon hundreds of hours of interview footage, so why does he rely so heavily on appearing onscreen, himself? Does he just want the attention? Or do the people he interviewed neglect to tell the story in the manner Ryan wants it told?

And who the hell are these two criminologists? They seem to be presented as experts in the DeFeo case, but are they? "If he hugged him and kissed him and loved him as a father and son should do, and be really close, that would have changed the whole dynamic. We wouldn't be sitting here." But do they know for a fact that the abuse was real, or are they simply commenting on what was told to them by Ryan? I think it's the latter. I think they are merely giving their insights on what was happening psychologically based upon the story Ryan gave them. But despite this, I think the casual viewer will think these two have done their own independent research on the case and have concluded that Geraldine's story is true. And I don't think this is how they thought they would be presented in the final cut.

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9728
Contact:

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:49 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:Indeed, by showing "the other side of the coin," the History Channel documentary is a lot more fair than Ryan's biased film.
Before Gerri came along, Ric complained to the director that Roxanne Kaplan had "too much airtime"!
Ryan claimed he had hundreds upon hundreds of hours of interview footage, so why does he rely so heavily on appearing onscreen, himself? Does he just want the attention? Or do the people he interviewed neglect to tell the story in the manner Ryan wants it told?
That's a good point there. He does seem to be steering the story in places...

User avatar
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul
Posts: 11648

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by Dan the Damned » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:42 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:Before Gerri came along, Ric complained to the director that Roxanne Kaplan had "too much airtime"!
Was that in the early days, when Ric claimed he had proof the haunting was real? Or was that just after he claimed to have proof the haunting was a fraud? ;)

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9728
Contact:

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:38 am

Roxanne sure forgave him for that comment real quick!


BREAKING NEWS - RYAN "BIGGER THAN AMAZON" SHOCK!
SHATTERED HOPES: THE TRUE STORY OF THE AMITYVILLE MURDERS
As of today, Part II is officially in the hands of Aoife Jordan and crew for score. We all agree, II is a very different animal than Part I and the pacing presents incredible challenge.......and opportunity!

SHATTERED HOPES: THE TRUE STORY OF THE AMITYVILLE MURDERS
Those who purchased Part I directly from us will be offered an opportunity to advance order Part II and will receive it weeks before the official release date. Also, Part II will not be made available anywhere other than our site. Sorry, Amazon.

Nick
Amazon gave ya to many problems huh?

SHATTERED HOPES: THE TRUE STORY OF THE AMITYVILLE MURDERS
‎@Nick, it's not that Amazon has given us problems....it's just that we are geared to fulfill orders, as of now, better, faster and more efficiently than we were in the beginning.

User avatar
Brendan72
Forest Giant
Posts: 3028
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by Brendan72 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:51 am

Dan the Damned wrote:
sherbetbizarre wrote:Before Gerri came along, Ric complained to the director that Roxanne Kaplan had "too much airtime"!
Was that in the early days, when Ric claimed he had proof the haunting was real? Or was that just after he claimed to have proof the haunting was a fraud? ;)
I was listening to Lou Gentile Amityville 2002 where Dan Farrands and Scott Gerardi were interviewed about the History Channel doco's. There was mention about how Ric Osuna seemed to strongly oppose interviewing Roxanne Kaplan, and I seem to get the impression that this was around the time that he was pro-haunting.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac
Posts: 1607

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by scipio-USMC » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:34 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:Roxanne sure forgave him for that comment real quick!


BREAKING NEWS - RYAN "BIGGER THAN AMAZON" SHOCK!
SHATTERED HOPES: THE TRUE STORY OF THE AMITYVILLE MURDERS
As of today, Part II is officially in the hands of Aoife Jordan and crew for score. We all agree, II is a very different animal than Part I and the pacing presents incredible challenge.......and opportunity!

SHATTERED HOPES: THE TRUE STORY OF THE AMITYVILLE MURDERS
Those who purchased Part I directly from us will be offered an opportunity to advance order Part II and will receive it weeks before the official release date. Also, Part II will not be made available anywhere other than our site. Sorry, Amazon.

Nick
Amazon gave ya to many problems huh?

SHATTERED HOPES: THE TRUE STORY OF THE AMITYVILLE MURDERS
‎@Nick, it's not that Amazon has given us problems....it's just that we are geared to fulfill orders, as of now, better, faster and more efficiently than we were in the beginning.
And people won't be able to leave negative reviews on Amazon as a result. They will make sure no negative reviews see the light of day on their own website.

User avatar
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul
Posts: 11648

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:19 pm

Wow. Makes you wonder if the lack of a reviews section is actually behind this move. And now I'm forced to remember a year or so ago when Ryan removed the review section from his Facebook page, promising to bring it back once the DVD was released. Surprise-surprise -- hasn't happened yet! (For some reason, even though I was banned from Ryan's page, I was able to post in that reviews section -- that's why it was taken down.)
Brendan72 wrote:I was listening to Lou Gentile Amityville 2002 where Dan Farrands and Scott Gerardi were interviewed about the History Channel doco's. There was mention about how Ric Osuna seemed to strongly oppose interviewing Roxanne Kaplan, and I seem to get the impression that this was around the time that he was pro-haunting.
That's the thought process. It's a "win at all costs" mentality. Don't let the other side have a say. He did it when he was pro-haunting and again when he was pro-hoax.

And that is bullish*t. If you are seriously trying to get to the bottom of a mystery, you have to examine all sides. You can't pick and choose your evidence based on the result you are trying to achieve. Otherwise you are shooting yourself in the foot, and you won't get anywhere. That's why we are here, so people can give opinions from all angles. Sure, we may argue our own opinions, but we're not censoring people or shutting them out.

Ryan is doing the same sort of thing that Ric did. In Part 1 of his doc, all of Geraldine's BS is presented as if it were fact, and there isn't the slightest mention that she may be lying (or mention of a controversy surrounding her claims). Normally a guy like Ryan could sideswipe such criticism by saying, "oh, there wasn't enough time to go into that," but hard to hide behind that line when your doc is 6 hours long...

Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac
Posts: 2916

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by Victoria Principles » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:50 pm

So Ric is like a politician. He was for the haunting before he was against it.

User avatar
GoonieNick
Amityville Addict
Posts: 263
Location: Selden, Long Island
Contact:

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by GoonieNick » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:04 pm

scipio-USMC wrote:
sherbetbizarre wrote:Roxanne sure forgave him for that comment real quick!


BREAKING NEWS - RYAN "BIGGER THAN AMAZON" SHOCK!
SHATTERED HOPES: THE TRUE STORY OF THE AMITYVILLE MURDERS
As of today, Part II is officially in the hands of Aoife Jordan and crew for score. We all agree, II is a very different animal than Part I and the pacing presents incredible challenge.......and opportunity!

SHATTERED HOPES: THE TRUE STORY OF THE AMITYVILLE MURDERS
Those who purchased Part I directly from us will be offered an opportunity to advance order Part II and will receive it weeks before the official release date. Also, Part II will not be made available anywhere other than our site. Sorry, Amazon.

Nick
Amazon gave ya to many problems huh?

SHATTERED HOPES: THE TRUE STORY OF THE AMITYVILLE MURDERS
‎@Nick, it's not that Amazon has given us problems....it's just that we are geared to fulfill orders, as of now, better, faster and more efficiently than we were in the beginning.
And people won't be able to leave negative reviews on Amazon as a result. They will make sure no negative reviews see the light of day on their own website.

I can understand your rationale behind this statement however, if you were in Ryan's shoes wouldn't you "take a few on the chin, regardless of criticism, to increase sales?". I mean negative reviews always happen. People put negative reviews up if they either don't believe something, they don't like the packaging, they had a bad day at work, etc. You claimed Ryan's project was lacking "evidence" and that he made a lot of chosen paths to illustrate "his way of seeing the murders" Over and over you mentioned about the gun as a possible way to create this story to seem interesting to those who aren't aware of all the forensic details in which you went in great lengths to educate the audience here. It seems weird to believe that Ryan would intentionally not sell on Amazon for the fear of negative reviews. Doesn't your statement seem somewhat hypocritical. You seem to be implying that Ryan is going to sabotage his sales for the sake of keeping posterity. Which is it? :D

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9728
Contact:

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:20 pm

GoonieNick wrote:It seems weird to believe that Ryan would intentionally not sell on Amazon for the fear of negative reviews.
So what other reason does he have?

Can he really recoup $200,000 though his independant webiste only?

When people search for "Amityville" on Amazon, his DVD's will appear - why lose those potential sales?

Negative reviews not getting to him? Well...
SHATTERED HOPES: THE TRUE STORY OF THE AMITYVILLE MURDERS wrote:I just read a review on Amazon wherein someone was dogging the film and accusin...g us of sweeping the Richard Rommondoe stuff under the rug....blah, blah, blah. I laughed out loud and rolled my eyes because, as you can see, the film deals extensively with this stuff and, even via this post of Gerri talking about the 1992 hearing and motion, you can see that it's all right out there on the table and we're not concealing anything. I see a full-scale rebuttal coming soon. If these people can spew forth with their uninformed conjecture, I believe we can set the record straight with the real facts.
"I see a full-scale rebuttal coming soon."

Lol -- he has 6 hours to play with, yet HERE he admits his documentary is NOT conclusive...

User avatar
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul
Posts: 11648

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:39 pm

GoonieNick wrote:Doesn't your statement seem somewhat hypocritical. You seem to be implying that Ryan is going to sabotage his sales for the sake of keeping posterity. Which is it? :D
Wrong use of the word "hypocritical" here. A better word doesn't come rushing to mind, though (perhaps a fallacy of logic or something). But not on Sherb's part. Sherb didn't say Ryan's actions were logical, did he?

However, based on Ryan's comments and his actions in the past, yes, it does seem his decision to keep Part II away from the planet's largest retailer is based on him not able to handle bad reviews.

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict
Posts: 469
Location: Germany

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by VintageBoy91 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:42 pm

Victoria Principles wrote:So Ric is like a politician. He was for the haunting before he was against it.
:clap:

User avatar
GoonieNick
Amityville Addict
Posts: 263
Location: Selden, Long Island
Contact:

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by GoonieNick » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:42 pm

I mis used the quoting I guess. I wasn't really commenting on Sherb at all but rather it was Scipio

"And people won't be able to leave negative reviews on Amazon as a result. They will make sure no negative reviews see the light of day on their own website."

User avatar
TigresMeow
Yo Adrian I luv black caulk
Posts: 1510
Location: Inside my own mind

Re: Shattered Hopes DVD Review

Post by TigresMeow » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:13 pm

Well, Nick, if you want to use Scipio as an example we can do that. Scipio posted some rather lengthy posts on Ryan's FB page stating why the gun Ryan found could not be what he thinks it is. What happened to Scipio's post? POOF! It was magically deleted. Do you honestly think that if someone, even yourself maybe, posts a not so nice review that it won't get deleted? One time I made a lengthy post about something and included a link to this board and the whole post disappeared. Ryan even told me that it was because I put a link to this board in it. What is wrong with people from Ryan's page viewing the board here? They can see what is stated here, see Ryan's film and decide for themselves which story is more credible. Ryan wants his viewers to view his film with an open mind, yet he himself does not even look at the evidence that goes against what he claims is the "truth." I have seen Part I and I question Geraldine's credibility. When will the viewer see the evidence that Geraldine is who she claims she is in relation to the DeFeo murders? The story about the mafia erasing all the records doesn't float at all with me. The sheriff's ID card isn't doing it either. I am waiting for one piece of legitimate evidence that proves Geraldine was married to Ronnie on that fateful night. I very seriously doubt I will see it in my lifetime.
If you're gonna kick a tiger in the ass, you better have a plan to deal with it's teeth.

RIP 15

"Have the dogs stopped barking, Clarice?"

Post Reply