Psychic Medium Jackie Barrett

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
Tim
The monkey supplied the glue.

Re: Psychic Medium Jackie Barrett

Post by Tim » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:17 pm

Howard64 wrote:
msmart112 wrote:Here's the first Amazon review...

Gripping cant put it down

This book is made up of 10,000 plus hours of taped interviews and conversations with Ronnie DeFeo , along the journey of freeing my self from the devils grip I also was able to give peace to the spirits of the victims . Worth checking out if you have any interiest in paranormal , after life or spirituality .

...and it's from Jackie Barrett herself.

:roll:
given this is correct, and my arithmetic is correct ( 10,000/24 ) seeing how
there is 24 hours in a day; this would equal to 416.6 days of interviews!!

Howard..it's not 10,000. It's 10,000 +..... that + must be considered! lol
"Things of this nature happen quite frequently,and when they happen to families, they usually close the door and they don't talk about it; and unless these things are talked about, they'll never be understood." - Kathy Lutz

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:44 am

Oh silly me...well since im not sure how much the "+" is, ill have
to go with what I know:)

:D :lol: :D :lol:
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of
the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Blue
Amityville Addict

Post by Blue » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:50 am

Ummm...Hi again everyone! :)

So, I actually preordered Jackie's book for my Kindle so that I could have it the second it was released! It was gripping (I was at a loss for words, but Jackie's own Amazon review assured me that "gripping" was what I was looking for LOL) . Riveting. I was on the edge of my seat; I laughed, I cried...and I finally finished reading it last night. I am so ready to pick it apart line by line, but I know that is pointless, so I will just hit the highlights of my impressions and disappointment- yes, disappointment. I was really hoping for something from this book. I knew it would be silly psychic woo crap but I was hoping there would be some slip in the interview, one shining moment where maybe Ronnie forgot himself and said something new, intriguing or profound. But I am a dreamer...and I should have known better from the start. I know that many people haven't read it yet or are in the process, so I will try not to give away too much, and I will leave out Ronnie's new and shocking revelations. LOL

(1) Was I the only one who had trouble staying focused on the first chapters? This was a rehash or script for that horrible Halloween special (I know it has a title but I prefer alliteration). This alone makes a mockery of her 10,000+ hours of recorded interviews because this lets us know that the research and the story was complete by the air date of the special, and she claims to have begun communicating with Ronnie in 2009, so there are simply not enough hours in the day for this to be accurate, even if Greenhaven's new telephone policy is that inmates may stay on the phone 24 hours a day 7 days a week. So anyway, strike one for Jackie's credibility and honesty.

(2) I don't think a book about Ronnie DeFeo or the murders is what Jackie meant to write. Which actually makes this one successful because it isn't really about that at all. What I think Jackie meant to write was "Jackie Barrett has mommy issues" and some sort of inferiority complex or something which makes her always on the defensive (that is not so much from the book, but her typical demeanor in everything I have ever heard or seen her in). I did my research into her other "work", I watched that horrible "psychic challenge" that she lost, and the woman is just defensive from the get go. She has a very nasty attitude and way of presenting herself that makes me wonder why anyone would seek her help for anything at all. It is my opinion that this defense mechanism is what leads her to make such outlandish (and I should mention unverifiable) claims in all things. Just as an example: when she describes the chaos that ensued in her home one night- Allison's face appeared in a mirror in her dining room and furniture began moving around or getting thrown around- in order to bolster the story she added details such as the dining room chair which smashed against a wall weighed 75 lbs. That would indeed make it difficult to blame on wind or random bumping, but really? A dining room chair that weighs 75 lbs? Wouldn't that be rather impractical? But it is a typical claim of Jackie's to "prove" her stories, she adds improbable or even impossible details that cannot be independently verified, so that we are forced to take her at her word. She believes this adds credibility. I believe the devil is in the details, and hers are full of something...but I don't think it is Satan.

(3) Big props to Jackie for admitting the house she visited in the televised special was a fake. But "tsk, tsk" for claiming that it was a very close approximation- anyone who has seen the floor plans knows better than that. But the house itself and the discussions surrounding that is another big problem I have with Jackie's take on things for this book. She says she believes the house itself is a problem- housing Satan himself, demons of all sorts and where the innocent DeFeos' souls were trapped (at least that is what I got from her description of how she resolved it) but in the same breath says that the Lutzes were liars and that nothing paranormal happened to them at all and that it was all made up by (all together now...) "The Lutzes and William Weber over several bottles of wine..." ( has that phrase been copyrighted yet? Because it should be). So how can it be that the house itself was so evil that her production assistants couldn't even stand at the door without getting ill, and that it was was badly in need of a "final confrontation" in 2009-2011 but in the time frame between the murders and the Amityville Horror it was all hunky-dory, no demons, no flies, no ghosts, just a bunch of people wanting to make money of Ronnie's tragedy? I can only assume that this is another one of Jackie's "everyone is lying but me and all psychics are fake except for me" explanations. But I lose any belief I had in whatever she might say based on this alone. The house is possessed/haunted/evil or it is not. I don't think you can have it both ways. Of course it is all clear now thanks to Jackie's and Ronnie's amazing abilities...but that really needs to be read in its entirety to fully appreciate the ludicrousy (is that a word?).

(4) Finally, backtracking a bit in the book itself...So many claims that supposedly come from Ronnie that Jackie just accepts because they "can't be proven and make no real difference to the story anyway". Excuse me? I think that Ronnie's stories- all of them- and proving at least whether they could have happened is exactly what matters. Certainly she doesn't believe that the guards took him to a strip club for a night out (which she says can't be proven because of course the guards would deny that) but she does believe that Dawn shot everyone but Ronald Sr. (Ronnie having put the second bullet into Louise in this version of events, just to "put her out of misery".) Again, I don't think you can have it both ways. He is either a liar or he is not. If he lies about one thing, I am going to need some pretty good evidence that he is not lying about the other. And Jackie's "gut feeling" or "instinct" just isn't enough for me. And while the strip club story can't be disproved necessarily, because I would hope no guard would admit to taking him and that no woman would admit to trying to pick him up (yes, Ronnie got hit on at the bar! In his prison shirt!) I can pretty much call BS on it just by Ronnie's own story: (1) He said he had $50 that he found on the floor and that was all the money they had between him and two guards- who decided to go to a strip club drinking on it all night? LOL and (2) Ronnie claimed to be drinking Vodka all night and buying the drinks for the guards and the girl chatting him up (who actually declined a drink because she was working- again LOL) at $3.00 per drink. At a bar in New York. In 2009 or 2010 (I wasn't clear on which year, but in the not so distant past). I live in a much more po-dunk place and haven't been able to get a $3.00 drink in a bar- especially in a strip club- for many, many years (unless it was some sort of promotion or cheap drinks that he neglected to mention).

In summary, Jackie's book is just more of the same with a lot of chest beating about how great Jackie is and some stories from her childhood and about her mother (none of which I believe at all, so I just dismissed all of that). But Ronnie did come up with a few new fun facts to flesh out some of his previous versions a bit and some new (to me) stories about the father and son adventures he shared before his parents "passed away".

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:11 pm

I do not know if I want to spend the 9.99 to read this. I
would hate to waste my money...I will think about it.
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of

Blue
Amityville Addict

Post by Blue » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:32 pm

Howard64 wrote:I do not know if I want to spend the 9.99 to read this. I
would hate to waste my money...I will think about it.
I felt the same way, Howard. I agonized over hitting that preorder button. I still feel upset, not that I wasted the money, but that the money went to Jackie- even just a portion of it. I absolutely do not want her having any of my support. :( But in the end, I succumbed to overwhelming morbid curiosity. I knew it would be a trainwreck, I just wanted to see how bad of one. I even talked myself into keeping an open mind, right up to the rehashing of finding the coin... :lol:

Truth be told, I actually considered "returning" it for a refund. Under Amazon's no questions asked policy for returns of Kindle books within 7 days of purchase, this one was just begging for it. But even though I regret the purchase, I did read it, and it had no major formatting or physical defects, so I felt that returning it would be less than honest of me (even though the policy specifies that it doesn't matter if it has been read or not) and I felt like I might want to keep it around for reference when Ronnie sends his power of attorney to the next author and claims again to "tell the truth for the first time and will never do so again" <-- paraphrased from the notorized "To whom it may concern" letter pictured in the book.

Blue
Amityville Addict

Post by Blue » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:03 pm

I also meant to add above that anyone who might like a physical copy of the book, should shop around (ie Google search) for a minute first. WalMart has it for $8.49 and several book sites are selling it for as low as $6.29. I imagine the price is only going to drop from here as copies sit around collecting dust, so this is one time it might be of benefit to not want a Kindle or other e-format edition. :D

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm

Thank you for your post, you have helped me to
make up my mind. I too feel as you do, I don't really
mind spending the money, but rather loathe having
her profit from me.

Coupled with what i saw on the special, It just sickens
me to think that she and butchie poo, must really think
we are stupid to fall for the charade.

For instance if the so called coin she miraculously pulled
from the earth might have been more believable if it had
been in some kind of decayed form or in a similarly earth
covered container. Instead, it looked pristine. Not to mention
anyone who know Amityville could see she was not in the house.

again, thank you for the report on the book...

Howard64

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Blue wrote:She says she believes the house itself is a problem (...) but in the same breath says that the Lutzes were liars and that nothing paranormal happened to them at all and that it was all made up by (all together now...) "The Lutzes and William Weber over several bottles of wine..."
This is the same crap her friend Alexandra Holzer is trying to pull...

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:54 pm

Hey Blue, good to see you here again!

So, those of you that have read the book, if you were to give it a rating between 1 and 10 (10 being the best) what would it be?

Amityville Rock
Amityville Addict

Post by Amityville Rock » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:05 pm

kathyM wrote:Hey Blue, good to see you here again!

So, those of you that have read the book, if you were to give it a rating between 1 and 10 (10 being the best) what would it be?
six out of ten, as an unintended dark comedy book

two out of ten, as a serious journalistic piece

I kid you guys & girls not, when I say the ending of Jackie's "book" is be far the most ludicrous thing I have ever read in paranormal, and even Amityville related, literature.
Special Guest Star

est. 1999

Blue
Amityville Addict

Post by Blue » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:57 pm

Amityville Rock wrote:
kathyM wrote:Hey Blue, good to see you here again!

six out of ten, as an unintended dark comedy book

two out of ten, as a serious journalistic piece

I kid you guys & girls not, when I say the ending of Jackie's "book" is be far the most ludicrous thing I have ever read in paranormal, and even Amityville related, literature.
I am going to go out on a limb and rate it a bit higher on the unintended comedy aspect, 8/10 if you are well versed on other versions and works surrounding this case. But factoring in the very unfunny slandering of the DeFeo family- implicating them in even more crimes, even more abuse and more outlandish behaviors without one iota of evidence or even a new fake witness to back up these claims has to also be taken into account.

Journalistic integrity has to be approaching 0 in my opinion. So many things that not only would Jackie not support with any kind of evidence or research, but refused to even entertain the notion that she could or should. At one point she made a statement that I will paraphrase here: "So-and-so even testified to this fact, saying such nonsense at the trial as a witness for the defense. This however, cannot be verified because the transcripts remain sealed, but it doesn't matter anyway because my gut says Ronnie is telling the truth here." Gah! I had to fight the urge to scream at a book here! :lol:

I agree, Amityville Rock, with your assessment of the ending. I would have lost my suspension of disbelief if this had been presented as a work of fiction. Just when we thought things couldn't get any weirder in the land of Amityville related literature, Jackie knocks us out with this! She should get some bonus points for that at least. :clap:

But now, my own question. I will admit that there was much of the book that I skimmed quickly through; quite frankly Jackie's tales from her childhood bored me, so I might have missed some details here and there...But Jackie speaks of a life long best friend, at whose house Ronnie disposed of the guns and who testified on his behalf as a character witness at the trial (while keeping mum on the guns) by the name of Charlie Brooks who was apparently also a member of The Black Panthers (why would that matter? I am confused about why that was even brought up :? ). Charlie was supposedly 43 at the time of the murders to DeFeo's 23 and has died since, so he is of course unable to corroborate anything. Now, I will admit that I work almost entirely from memory when discussing Amityville, and as far as I know I have never read the complete transcript of the trial (although I have read enough of it to know that not all of the transcripts are sealed) so I could very easily be missing key details here...but wasn't the part of life-long best friend played by Barry Springer? The one who had all of Ronnie's paperwork, personal effects and such, up until the time they were "stolen" by Geraldine or Tracey or whoever had them last? I don't recall hearing about this Charlie Brooks character (aka Bear) as a key player, and it almost makes me wonder if it is meant to be a pseudonym for Springer.

Since I am already on a tangent :lol: I was rather amused by the glaring absence of every name ever associated after-the-fact with Ronnie DeFeo. At the time of the research and writing he would have still been married to Tracey, but not one word was uttered about any wives, friends, previous documentarians (I think I am making up words again) or anyone at all. Jackie treated this as "he has never spoken about it until now" which I think undermines her credibility more than making her appear unbiased, which I think is what she was going for with that.
ETA: I take that back partially. Hans Holzer and Jay Anson were mentioned, but I think we all know who I meant in the previous sentences. :lol:

Blue
Amityville Addict

Post by Blue » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:52 pm

Howard64 wrote:Thank you for your post, you have helped me to
make up my mind. I too feel as you do, I don't really
mind spending the money, but rather loathe having
her profit from me.

Howard64
Hey Howard. I just found out something interesting that I wish I had known before giving Jackie any money myself. I was just using my local library's app and doing a keyword search on their collection using "Amityville" (I have decided it is about time to re-read High Hopes and/or The Amityville Horror) and I discovered that they have The Devil I Know on their shelves right now. So that is another option for those who want to read this but don't want to personally endorse Jackie by paying for it. Check your library, you might be surprised. :D

ETA: And this sucks! My library which has a huge central location very near my house has one copy of Jackie's book (not checked out and no holds) but has 0 copies of The Amityville Horror - there are 3 copies available from a library all the way across town or through inter-library loan. And they own 0 copies of High Hopes. :(

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:28 am

Damn, you guys are getting me interested. I might just have to buy this piece of crap, too.
sherbetbizarre wrote:
Blue wrote:She says she believes the house itself is a problem (...) but in the same breath says that the Lutzes were liars and that nothing paranormal happened to them at all and that it was all made up by (all together now...) "The Lutzes and William Weber over several bottles of wine..."
This is the same crap her friend Alexandra Holzer is trying to pull...
How lucky for the Lutzes to pretend there were ghosts in a house that was actually haunted? :wall:

msmart112
Amityville_Member

Post by msmart112 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:06 pm

Here's what Jackie had to say when she was discussing (with Ronnie) the period of time just after the murders...
Jackie Barrett wrote:In the public records, it says your neighbors didn’t see anyone but you running out of the house. They heard you shouting threats.
I wonder who these neighbors are who saw Ronnie running out of the house and shouting threats?

Later...Jackie had this to say...
Jackie Barrett wrote:Several witnesses suggested that the police had done everything they could to secure a confession from the young delinquent, ultimately beating it out of him.
I wonder who these people are who witnessed the police beating a confession out of Ronnie?

Anyway...moving along to Jackie Barrett's Amazon bio...
Jackie Barrett wrote:She has clients all over the world, including celebrities in the music & entertainment industries, politicians, socialites, and professional athletes.
I wonder why she didn't name any of these people?
Jackie Barrett wrote:Jackie's amazing ability to communicate with the dead and guide the living has propelled her into the spotlight and earned her the title as the guardian angel of New Orleans.
I wonder why she didn't say who gave her that title?
Jackie Barrett wrote:Jackie's remarkable efforts with the Red Cross and the Jackie Barrett Foundation have raised millions of dollars, and her compassion has earned her a great deal of respect, enabling her to help thousands of people from diverse backgrounds.
Well that's odd...I just did some searching...and I couldn't find anything about this Jackie Barrett Foundation.
Jackie Barrett wrote:She is currently the star of her own TV show Medium P.I. where she and Sean Crowley Captain of cold case homicide of NYPD help to solve cold cases on A&E channel.
What night/time does this show air? And can I watch previous seasons on Netflix or DVD?
Jackie Barrett wrote:Jackie is also the author of a #1 best selling book, The House That Kay Built.
Wow...that's amazing...a #1 best selling book. It's even more amazing that this #1 best selling book has an Amazon best sellers rank of 893,730...and no Amazon reviews. And for some reason...I can't find any copies listed at my local library nor any of the local university libraries.

In the book (The Devil I Know)...Jackie Barrett talks about having visions.

Well just now...I had a vision...a vision of Jackie Barrett...

Blue
Amityville Addict

Post by Blue » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:53 pm

Great research! But I want to play too. :D
msmart112 wrote:Here's what Jackie had to say when she was discussing (with Ronnie) the period of time just after the murders...
Jackie Barrett wrote:In the public records, it says your neighbors didn’t see anyone but you running out of the house. They heard you shouting threats.
I wonder who these neighbors are who saw Ronnie running out of the house and shouting threats?
This might be my personal bias but I felt it was strongly implied that the "neighbors" in question was the Colemans (? That is the name in this book at least, but the next door neighbors) and that they had heard/seen everything but wouldn't come forward for whatever reason. I think this time it was fear of the mob? But previously wasn't it because the woman was with her lover and didn't want her extramarital affair exposed? Or am I twisting that up with someone else?
msmart112 wrote: Anyway...moving along to Jackie Barrett's Amazon bio...
Jackie Barrett wrote:She has clients all over the world, including celebrities in the music & entertainment industries, politicians, socialites, and professional athletes.
I wonder why she didn't name any of these people?
This is Jackie. And it pretty much sums up her entire reputation. To date there has not been one person of note...excuse me, I mean one person at all...who is not employed by her or related to her that is willing to admit that she has worked for them or helped in any way at all. A Google search of her name brings up her numerous ads under "party planners" though, as she does do "seances" for parties. She herself likens her seances to Houdini's, so you know she is the real deal. :lol:

For added fun, she actually did host a seminar and seance on the Queen Mary for some Halloween thing (HauntX?). And this is hearsay, I have no proof of this and I am not saying that I believe it to be true, but this is what someone who I do not personally know said about the event online: (posts from October 2007)
Some random person on another forum wrote:I met her at the first Ghost Fest on the Queen Mary last November. What nut! She held a "seance" and informed all of us that "Jesus and God don't exsist and only Satan will be comunicating through her during the seance." It seemed she was working off of the weaks vulnerabilities and they were buying it hook line and sinker. I guess I'm just as much a sucker since I paid to attend her "seance" too. And wow, what an attitude!!! She is a shyster, a crook!
Second random person on another forum wrote:That was the first and last time from what I am told by some of the QM employees. I guess she caused more trouble than she was worth. According to others that attended her seminars or whatever, she and her assistant (I'm told she is her daughter) were caught fishing through the guests purses while they were told to keep their eyes closed in order to "make contact."

I'm glad I was only suckered into paying for the seance and didn't have my purse messed with.

I just looked up her bio on Lifetime channel and she lists Anton Levay as someone she admires... Another shyster and crook. That figures.
msmart112 wrote:
Jackie Barrett wrote:Jackie's amazing ability to communicate with the dead and guide the living has propelled her into the spotlight and earned her the title as the guardian angel of New Orleans.
I wonder why she didn't say who gave her that title?
Call me bored and obsessive, because I am...but I have done some poking around on this too. I can't find anything at all about her being well known in any capacity or having any titles bestowed upon her by anyone, except maybe her husband? She claims to be known as "The Healer" at the New Orleans Voodoo Spiritual Temple, which would appear to be news to them, as she isn't mentioned even in passing anywhere on their website which does speak of a healer in their co-founder Miriam Chamani. It should be noted too that although I am sure she goes home to visit frequently, she has been a full time resident of New York for several years.
msmart112 wrote:
Jackie Barrett wrote:She is currently the star of her own TV show Medium P.I. where she and Sean Crowley Captain of cold case homicide of NYPD help to solve cold cases on A&E channel.
What night/time does this show air? And can I watch previous seasons on Netflix or DVD?
This was so hard to find! But this claim is sort of true. Except the part where A&E was excited about it and thought it would do well. :lol: There was one episode- Episode 0 of Medium P.I. (which is referred to after the fact as a "special"). It aired in 2009 at 3:00 in the morning. Jackie mentions that it was picked up by the Biography Channel, but there were never any more episodes, at least that I could find mentioned and the "pilot" is unavailable, but I think I recall a preview clip on youtube.

ETA: Here's a transcript of the episode of Medium PI, if anyone is interested: http://www.livedash.com/transcript/medi ... 09/113756/
msmart112 wrote:
Jackie Barrett wrote:Jackie is also the author of a #1 best selling book, The House That Kay Built.
Wow...that's amazing...a #1 best selling book. It's even more amazing that this #1 best selling book has an Amazon best sellers rank of 893,730...and no Amazon reviews. And for some reason...I can't find any copies listed at my local library nor any of the local university libraries.
Is this the one that was 88 pages of self published (or vanity press published, I forget) "best seller". LOL The proceeds of which supposedly went to the Red Cross- which if true, is commendable- but the Red Cross won't confirm that they have ever heard of her. (I didn't contact them, someone else did back in 2008 on another board that I just read the posts).

She is also unheard of at the prestigious universities where she has claimed to lecture and or have attended (but she never gives dates or topic or anything that could be used even slightly to verify her claims) and she has claimed to have had people do their thesis by following her around, but in subjects that don't exist . <-- Not my own findings but repeated from a thread that can be found here: http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=124199

And finally she speaks of her mother who was a well known and well-respected...whatever she was...spiritualist? And makes the same claims of politicians, celebrities, etc. seeking her out and that her childhood home was often a place where these people would just show up or hang out. But she never says who, although once she mentioned John Lennon (I think that was from her twitter account...I have done lots of Googling today and forget where I read each thing. :lol: ) But the really interesting part and how it plays into her own bio, is that she does give her mothers name: Mary Palermo. She was supposedly world renown, highly sought after for her spiritual guidance and ability to communicate with the beyond. But for a woman who was so well known, and who so many celebrities and people of prominence in society sought out and spent so much time with, she is amazingly hard to find. I could find not a single mention of her life or death (which was a spectacular death indeed, if Jackie's description is to be believed).
msmart112 wrote:In the book (The Devil I Know)...Jackie Barrett talks about having visions.

Well just now...I had a vision...a vision of Jackie Barrett...

:clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Blue on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:06 am

Perhaps the show could have been called..."Medium P.U.?"

Blue
Amityville Addict

Post by Blue » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:54 am

Howard64 wrote:Perhaps the show could have been called..."Medium P.U.?"
Ha! That would be far too accurate of a title for Jackie, I think.

But want I want to know...going back to her psychic abilities, is this: In regards to America's Psychic Challenge (which she lost and then publicly complained that it was rigged or that unfair advantage was given to the winner) Jackie has this to say,
Jackie Barrett wrote:I hadn’t wanted to do it, since it shot in California and meant being away from my home and family in New York, so I agreed to do the pilot only. But my agent, and the producers, helped change my mind by telling me about the $100,000 prize. My plan was to win the thing and then donate the money to the Red Cross and an animal shelter in Louisiana.
So, she admits she was in it for the money. And if she had truly planned to donate it, then I do admire that and find it commendable. But given this, I wonder why she has not taken up The James Randi Challenge. There is much more money at stake that she could use to support the animal shelter or the Red Cross, and Jackie was impressive (but unlikeable) in some of the "challenges" on APC. If she feels strongly that she should have won- which she does, as evidenced by her reactions, it seems like it would be a small thing to go out and pick up an easy million dollars.

From what I understand the set up for a psychic or medium is fairly simple: Give readings for 10 people, but do it in writing (on cards) then let the participants sort the cards, matching themselves to their reading. If the 10 cards end up with the right people, the psychic has proven their abilities and walks away with the money.

Of course she (and every other self-proclaimed psychic) will never do this, and will provide the same old, tired excuses they always give, because this method effectively eliminates all the "cold reading" techniques used by fakes and charlatans. Since the participants do not hear what is being "read" they cannot unintentionally provide clues to the psychic about whether they are on the right track or need to guess again. If Jackie had any credibility at all I would expect her to jump at the chance to prove herself in this way and to make a million dollars to boot. ;)

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:53 am

You would think as a psychic...or add a hypen and make her
a psy chic, she would have seen the bull-poo about butchie
face and avoided him.

:doh: :think:

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:44 am

"Worst episode ever! Needless to say I was on the internet within seconds, blogging my disgust!"
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

Bango Skank
Amityville Member

Post by Bango Skank » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Holy crap, she went from having one review, the one she wrote. to twelve reviews in one single day, ten of which are five stars and the other one is four stars. I'm calling BS, either these are paid reviews, or she's setting up multiple accounts and reviewing them herself. I guess it's possible she started begging for reviews from whatever kind of fan base she has, but unless your name is King or Grisham, it's pretty much impossible for 11 legitimate reviews to all appear on the same day. I'd bet all the money I have that however she got those reviews, it was not by legitimate means

Blue
Amityville Addict

Post by Blue » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:22 pm

Bango Skank wrote:... but unless your name is King or Grisham, it's pretty much impossible for 11 legitimate reviews to all appear on the same day. I'd bet all the money I have that however she got those reviews, it was not by legitimate means
How do you do that, do you know? The not real reviews I mean...

I didn't read all the reviews, but I did look at all the reviewers. For all but one, this is the only review they have written- and gave her 5 stars. Interestingly, the only 4 star reviewer is the only one who has written other Amazon reviews (but not many) and she writes the review mostly as a fan of Jackie and not the DeFeo part. Which is fine of course; if one is into that kind of a story and likes Jackie herself, then the book probably deserves praise. But I see that as the only legitimate review she may have there. I am not buying that people who have never reviewed anything before found this book, read it and liked it so well...especially the non-Amityville fans or those who claim to know nothing of the story. It is too new to have found much of an audience outside of Amityville or paranormal/demonic circles, I would think.

But I still want to know how to buy or fake reviews for when I write my own book. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Disclaimer: I am not writing a book.

In all honesty though, as much as I trash the work of Jackie, Ric and Ryan, I should give them some credit for that alone. As bad as it is, she wrote a book that sold at least a few copies, which is more than I have done. But if I were going to write a book, I'd keep it true to life and past events instead of trying to rewrite history or bring in alternate realities. 8-)