2007 parole hearing transcripts

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Post by evanguy2004 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:43 am

Very interesting....This was my first read through any transcripts from Ronnie. I am more facinated with the house and the Lutz's than I am with the Defeo murders. I do understand that he must be living a nightmare everyday he has to think about what he did to his family. However if you do the crime you must serve the time. Its a shame on what happened that fateful night in November 1974. You can't take back what happened. Ronnie killed his whole family and thus must serve out his life in hell and in prison for what took place. I believe his next hearing is on 09/09/09. I don't see him ever getting out. Thanks for posting this transcript. I found it very interesting to read and hear the events of that night through the mind of Ronnie Defeo.

Link the Labrador
The Lab from Amityville

Post by Link the Labrador » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:57 am

Off-Topic: I wonder how long a subject has to be not posted in order to be considered dead and off-limits to bumping? I'm not accusing, just wondering.

On-Topic: After reading through this transcript and the others, I ask myself this: What is the point? Sure maybe in the 1999 one, they felt Butch may have changed since it was like 25 years later, but why are they still persisting with the parole hearings? I think that after the 2002/2003 hearings, it's pretty clear he's the same SOB he was way back in 1974, still blaming everyone else for what he did. They should have stopped then and there and gone: "Forget it, he's gonna rot forever."

I chuckled at parts where he went into great detail of what he did, then immediatly goes: "That's just it, I don't remember nothing!"

Butch is running out of things to blame, it looks like. Let's see...

LIST OF PEOPLE TO BLAME:
1. The Mafia
2. Mrs. DeFeo
3. Dawn DeFeo
4. Bobby Kelske
5. The Amityville Saga
6. His brain
7. Ghosts/Demons

Seems he's now trying to stick with Dawn DeFeo and his memory, but if they don't work, what's next? The dog Shaggy? Aliens?

EDIT: I don't think he is living a nightmare. He doesn't care about them, and as far as he was concerned, they were out to get him. If he is having a nightmare, it's him not being able to walk free while shooting heroin up his arm.

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:30 pm

I believe it would infringe on his constitutional rights if the parole board discontinued his bi-annual hearings. If anything, I wonder if extending the parole reviews beyond every two-years could possibly yield stronger indication of rehabilitation the board deems appropriate for the convicted's conditional release. Further, has there ever been a mass murderer paroled for his crimes after serving the mandated incarceration?
"Everywhere I went wuz like uh telephone; no answer."

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:32 pm

Link the Labrador wrote:Off-Topic: I wonder how long a subject has to be not posted in order to be considered dead and off-limits to bumping? I'm not accusing, just wondering.
We don't have a rule, if we did, we'd probably lock the old ones up.

We always welcome comments on stickys though.
On-Topic: After reading through this transcript and the others, I ask myself this: What is the point? Sure maybe in the 1999 one, they felt Butch may have changed since it was like 25 years later, but why are they still persisting with the parole hearings?
Well I guess that's the law - they give them 2 years to change...

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:34 pm

astonio wrote:Further, has there ever been a mass murderer paroled for his crimes after serving the mandated incarceration?
Ronnie is a special case though. He's not getting out because of the notoriety of The Amityville Horror. :roll:

Link the Labrador
The Lab from Amityville

Post by Link the Labrador » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:51 pm

But that's the thing. He's not gonna change. He's 57 years old now. If he hadn't changed since he was 23, I doubt he'd change now.

The odds of him going: "Gee, I genuily feel bad for offing my family. Let me go and make amends." is about the same as me making $4,000,000 on a lottery.

I wonder if Butch really is the last DeFeo surviving (Beside Tracy and her kids, but I don't really consider them a couple) or is there still an Uncle DeFeo or a Cousin DeFeo out there somewhere? (Someone's still has to be in possession of the DeFeo pictures)

I dunno, most mass murderers are there for life and they usually die there. Even if Butch didn't do the whole "Amityville Horror" thing, he would not be getting out at all.

btw, what part did he play in that whole thing (movies and books)?

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:57 pm

Well, I believe his aunt and uncle Procita and their children, his cousins, are still around on Long Island.

As for the continual parole hearings, I think denying him such hearings could afford him a credible defense of his rights and force the state's hand to release him. He has to go through the necessary channels every two years as apart of his sentencing. I don't think there is anyway around it. I don't know what he would have to present to convince the board of his rehabilitation to satisfy his release, based on the travesty of his crimes. Also, it whatever rehabilitation he would need to present would have to be substantial in that two-year gap to sway a conditional release. At this point in his life, even if he fully accepted responsibility, he would have to do a little more for convincing consideration.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:39 pm

Exactly. Even though we all know Ronnie's a lost cause, we have to still keep giving him his parole hearings. To do otherwise would be like frontier justice.

Plus the transcripts give us something to laugh at every couple of years.

As you said, that part where Ronnie gives a detailed description of the events followed by "I can't remember anything" is priceless! Worthy of "30 Rock" or "The Daily Show." :D

As for Ronnie's role in the movies and books, he was going to be a partner in the book William Weber was planning on doing. But that never happened. Weber later had a deal with Holzer (and the creation of Holzer's book "Murder in Amityville") and made some money from the movie "Amitvyille II" (which was somehow based on Holzer's book). I don't know if Ronnie got a share as well. I'd imagine it just went to Weber.

Amityville II was one of the movies done without the Lutzes' support or cooperation. In fact the Lutzes sued the movie studio and tried to keep it from the theaters. There has never been any cooperation between the Lutzes and Ronnie. The only links there are:
  • the Lutzes telling Weber that Ronnie probably needed serious psychiatric treatment

the proposed book project that Weber was doing

the fact that both Ronnie/Tracey and George Lutz had a common goal in showing that Geraldine Gates was a fraud

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:43 pm

Wow Dan...why would the Lutz' try to prevent A2 from release? The Montelli family was loosely based on the DeFeos. If anything, I would think Butch would have more grounds for suit than the Lutz'.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:02 pm

The Lutzes had the movie sequel rights to "The Amityville Horror," and Dino DeLaurentiis went ahead and made "Amityville II" without getting the rights from the Lutzes. So George was trying to protect his rights.

Apparently the film's promotional materials (or something) were using George & Kathy's names -- and that's another thing they wanted stopped.

George felt that Dino DeLaurentis got the film rights to Holzer's book as a way of saying "our movie is based on this book, not Anson's." As a way of trying to get around the Lutzes' sequel rights.

Initially they got an injunction to prevent the film's release; but, as George put it, a week later they were all back in court and the other side suddenly had 22 lawyers. And the judge ends up letting them release the movie (under the condition that they don't use the Lutzes' names or use the phrase "The Amityville Horror" to promote the film, and under the condition that they put public notices up in the theaters declaring that George and Kathy Lutz have nothing to do with the making of this movie).

But that wasn't the end of the case. That was just to allow the movie to be released. The court case went on for 12 years, and was eventually won by the Lutzes (though I don't know what judgment they received or asked for).

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:05 pm

Do you know what the Lutz' were going to do with their sequel rights?

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:13 pm

Ya know, that's a good question. I still do not know if ANY of the Amityville sequels were done with the Lutzes' blessings or not.

Amityville 3-D apparently was not, and I'm pretty sure was added to the 12-year long DeLaurentiis trial as it went along.

In 2002 or 2003 George announced he was going to do one (and maybe even 3) Amityville movies. I think he was going to work with Dan Farrands on those. And I think the first one changed hands a few times before eventually that deal got combined with the MGM remake.

Weird, huh?

But that's something that is still in the dark for me -- which movie sequels (if any) did the Lutzes grant permission. And while we're at it, which book sequels were done with their permission... I still don't know for sure...

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:19 pm

Quite informative, nonetheless. Thanks, Dan!!

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:06 am

astonio wrote:Do you know what the Lutz' were going to do with their sequel rights?
It would have been along the lines of the second book, I think.

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:35 am

Was this the Lutz' story of the presence following them elsewhere? Or, could it have been more of their 28-day ordeal that has not been made public...if there is such an ordeal?

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:03 am

Following them to Cali.

CMite
Clavicula Salomonis

Post by CMite » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:12 pm

Dan the Damned wrote: And while we're at it, which book sequels were done with their permission... I still don't know for sure...
The Jones books, at least. The USCO has George Lutz on file as a dual copyright holder with Jones; that wouldn't have happened without a signed claim from George Lutz, so it can be accepted that he gave his permission for those.

VicRealty
Amityville Member

Post by VicRealty » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:10 pm

9/9/09 We can look forward to another version of the story. :roll: :lol:

Link the Labrador
The Lab from Amityville

Post by Link the Labrador » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:16 pm

lol

I'm somewhat excited to see what Butch will pull this time.

Any idea when this transcript will be posted here?

VampireKen
Amityville Film Historian

Post by VampireKen » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:23 pm

I Believe they were locked up in the closet in my room.- Defeo on where the guns were hidden
If he was planning on using the theory that the gun boxes were planted in his closet he just lost that argument.

Link the Labrador
The Lab from Amityville

Post by Link the Labrador » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:22 pm

Good point, but I bet you that by now, he will have already forgotten he had said that.

I'm not sure if it's good, but it gives me great satisfaction and a chuckle to see Butch self-sabatoge himself in a desperate attempt for freedom. He contradicts everything he says. lol