Was Dawn Defeo the "Hooded, Black-Handed Demon?"

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
tourmaline
Amityville Member

Was Dawn Defeo the "Hooded, Black-Handed Demon?"

Post by tourmaline » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:53 pm

I was watching an Amityville documentary on Youtube, and a journalist named Rick Moran states that years after the murders, a DEA agent contacted him, saying that the house was actually under observation by the DEA at the time of the murders, and that this DEA agent witnessed Dawn Defeo exit the house in the middle of the night, dressed in a thick coat & gloves, carrying a rifle and get into the car then drive out toward the point. And the rifle was later found in that area in the canal at the end of the street.

Rick Moran then relates this report of Dawn Defeo in a heavy coat & gloves to the "hooded, black-handed demon" that Butch Defeo said came to him in the night and handed him the rifle in his drugged & groggy state after he'd fallen asleep while watching "The Castle Keep" on TV.

This is very intriguing, but I'm extremely skeptical of it. Where was this DEA agent with all of this salient info about Dawn during the actual trial? Why did he contact Rick Moran with this info years later instead of coming forward immediately in the wake of the murders? Was this story of the DEA agent made up totally by Rick Moran?

Can anyone offer any thoughts or information about this aspect of the murder case? Thanks!!

Here is the link to the documentary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTspW6MHUJQ

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Re: Was Dawn Defeo the "Hooded, Black-Handed Demon?"

Post by scipio-USMC » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:37 pm

tourmaline wrote:I was watching an Amityville documentary on Youtube, and a journalist named Rick Moran states that years after the murders, a DEA agent contacted him, saying that the house was actually under observation by the DEA at the time of the murders, and that this DEA agent witnessed Dawn Defeo exit the house in the middle of the night, dressed in a thick coat & gloves, carrying a rifle and get into the car then drive out toward the point. And the rifle was later found in that area in the canal at the end of the street.

Rick Moran then relates this report of Dawn Defeo in a heavy coat & gloves to the "hooded, black-handed demon" that Butch Defeo said came to him in the night and handed him the rifle in his drugged & groggy state after he'd fallen asleep while watching "The Castle Keep" on TV.

This is very intriguing, but I'm extremely skeptical of it. Where was this DEA agent with all of this salient info about Dawn during the actual trial? Why did he contact Rick Moran with this info years later instead of coming forward immediately in the wake of the murders? Was this story of the DEA agent made up totally by Rick Moran?

Can anyone offer any thoughts or information about this aspect of the murder case? Thanks!!

Here is the link to the documentary:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTspW6MHUJQ
Rick Moran made it all up. Had there really been DEA agents outside they would have used the shootings as a pretext to get inside the house.

As for the story of a black handed person handing him a gun, in an interview with Has Holzer he admitted he was feigning insanity on the stand and made the claims up.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:58 am

It's well worth reading Dan's article on Rick Moran -

http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard ... 486#p97486

tourmaline
Amityville Member

Post by tourmaline » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:07 pm

Thank you both, I appreciate your responses.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:54 pm

tourmaline wrote:Thank you both, I appreciate your responses.
I failed to mention that Moran also got various details wrong. For instance he claimed Ron blamed Dawn right away though he didn't he confessed to doing it all by himself and even at trial admitted he did it himself. He also got the number of shots fired wrong and, also wrongly, reported that Dawn and Alison were discovered shot dead in a bedroom together. If a so-called professional reporter could get such important facts wrong, why should we believe him when he claimed to have been contacted by a surveillance officer who allegedly saw Dawn, or someone remarkably like her, leave the house wearing a parka with the hood up and dark gloves, carrying what looked to be the murder weapon in her hands. Think about it he claimed Dawn is the one who disposed of the rifle. She was killed with it though so how could she have dumped it in the ocean then been shot with it and how was Ron able to say where to find the gun if she is the one who got rid of it?

Can you say hack...

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:43 am

When Moran first wrote the article containing the DEA story, he told me he was going by memory... no notes at all... which is why it contained basic errors that most people on this board could correct.

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:30 pm

Fair enough missing details by going on memory except that DEA angle. That was outright lie and idk why he created such a layered lie.
"Everywhere I went wuz like uh telephone; no answer."

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict

Post by VintageBoy91 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:53 pm

So many bullsh*t is claimed about Dawn, it really makes me angry. She was just a more or less normal 18 year old girl and no criminal or murderer. :x I feel very sorry for her.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:20 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:When Moran first wrote the article containing the DEA story, he told me he was going by memory... no notes at all... which is why it contained basic errors that most people on this board could correct.
That's an explanation not an excuse. As far as explanations go though it is pathetic. To write an article without making sure you are right about the facts and just writing what you think you remmeber is not journalistic.

But it goes to his character where the truth mattered not just feeding his ego by writing whatever he flet like including the wild DEA story tha the clearly made up. Note that because he was unable to actually produce someone in the DEA to back up his claims instead he claimed nonspecific people saw a car constantly in f4ront of the house and a source told him that the DEA routinely used other government vehicles as a cover so it must have been DEA officials staking it out. WHat aridiculous leap that also is built on lies but ones harder to check because he never names the witnesses who suppoedly saw such car. At any rate, the claim they routinly used other government agencies as a cover is absurd. The DEA wants people to not know they are with the government period when undercover. They are not going to use a marked government vehicle for a secret steakout.

Nor would they sit tight as shooting is goin gon they would use that opportunity to enter the building because emergencies eliminate the warrant requirement. He made up extremely stupid and obvious lies.

That is why he would not talk at length to defend his claims, anyone with any competence could tear him apart and demonstrate he wasnot only dishonest but a fool for making up such pathetic lies instead of something credible.

tourmaline
Amityville Member

Post by tourmaline » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:48 am

Thanks everyone. None of this is surprising to read, Moran didn't exactly give off a trustworthy vibe in the documentary. It's unfortunate that he would be included in a documentary on the DeFeo murders as a "journalist" (or in any capacity) when he has such severe credibility issues.

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:49 pm

He was in a long line of many up to the latest, the Shattered series. These ppl gravitate toward the DeFeo story with stories surrounding the murders, the victims to the murderer himself. And some have been artfully crafty retelling their account or connection to this story. These ppl feel convicted in their lies because credible reachable actual witnesses who were there or did know the family do not participate even in defense of these outrageous claims. Baffling as that could be, I get it. These clowns don't get as much notoriety as they hope for. It's not like anything they contribute to date has any sustainable reconsideration of Ronald DeFeo, Jr.'s actions that morning. They succeed in establishing a new genre though, "true fiction".

Hmpf! Moran. Those eyebrows. Please...
"Everywhere I went wuz like uh telephone; no answer."