The relationship between Dawn and Allison Defeo

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict

Re: The relationship between Dawn and Allison Defeo

Post by VintageBoy91 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:03 pm

scipio-USMC wrote:
Brooke Forrester wrote:All good points, scipio, I agree, I don't understand why anyone would buy Ronnie's BS about Dawn.

I especially think it's tacky that he tries to claim she did it over something as silly as being jealous of her sister's looks. It's just more of his insults about his sister, trying to say she wasn't pretty enough, and why would she kill the boys too if she was just after Allison over her looks. It makes no sense. If anybody was jealous it was Ronnie, the ugly way he talked about his siblings to the police right after their deaths shows how he felt about them.

I doubt we'll ever know much about the children's relationships with one another, but I don't believe this story about Dawn being jealous of Allison.

I personally don't find Allison to be pretty or even cute. I wouldn't have given her or Dawn a second look. If you are going to make the allegation someone is jealous of another's beauty she should be breathtaking or at least very cute. In any event, one has to have serious emotional and mental problems to kill a sibling over jealously about anything but especially looks. It is rather common for siblings to be jeaous over one thing or another but extremely unusual and rare for it to result in murder. Siblings being jealous of attention parents give to their siblings for instance is somewhat common. For a 23 year old grown man to be jealous though of attention given to juvenile siblings is absurd. We simply don't know enough to know whether any of the kids were jealous of one another. We only have evidence indicating Ron was jealous and that he murdered them all. We don't know for sure how much of a role that jealously played in the murders though.
Dawn and Allison were not ugly. I agree there may be prettier girls out there but the two sisters were not ugly or bad looking. And I also don't think that they were jealous of eachother. It's normal that siblings have trouble sometimes. I am sure Dawn and Allison and the other siblings had that too. It's normal in every family. But it's nonsense that Dawn hated her little sister and other siblings. Ronnie was the only one who hated everyone. It's just a shame that people blame Dawn for everything bad what happened or not happened in the DeFeo household. Because its just dumb, not true and there is no proof for everything.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:37 pm

VintageBoy91 wrote:
scipio-USMC wrote:
Brooke Forrester wrote:All good points, scipio, I agree, I don't understand why anyone would buy Ronnie's BS about Dawn.

I especially think it's tacky that he tries to claim she did it over something as silly as being jealous of her sister's looks. It's just more of his insults about his sister, trying to say she wasn't pretty enough, and why would she kill the boys too if she was just after Allison over her looks. It makes no sense. If anybody was jealous it was Ronnie, the ugly way he talked about his siblings to the police right after their deaths shows how he felt about them.

I doubt we'll ever know much about the children's relationships with one another, but I don't believe this story about Dawn being jealous of Allison.

I personally don't find Allison to be pretty or even cute. I wouldn't have given her or Dawn a second look. If you are going to make the allegation someone is jealous of another's beauty she should be breathtaking or at least very cute. In any event, one has to have serious emotional and mental problems to kill a sibling over jealously about anything but especially looks. It is rather common for siblings to be jeaous over one thing or another but extremely unusual and rare for it to result in murder. Siblings being jealous of attention parents give to their siblings for instance is somewhat common. For a 23 year old grown man to be jealous though of attention given to juvenile siblings is absurd. We simply don't know enough to know whether any of the kids were jealous of one another. We only have evidence indicating Ron was jealous and that he murdered them all. We don't know for sure how much of a role that jealously played in the murders though.
Dawn and Allison were not ugly. I agree there may be prettier girls out there but the two sisters were not ugly or bad looking. And I also don't think that they were jealous of eachother. It's normal that siblings have trouble sometimes. I am sure Dawn and Allison and the other siblings had that too. It's normal in every family. But it's nonsense that Dawn hated her little sister and other siblings. Ronnie was the only one who hated everyone. It's just a shame that people blame Dawn for everything bad what happened or not happened in the DeFeo household. Because its just dumb, not true and there is no proof for everything.
I didn't say they were ugly, but neither was anything to write home about. If one sister is Christie Brinkley and the other Janeane Garofalo then ok there would be reason to be jealous of the other's looks. We don't have any way of knowing how Dawn truly felt about her family. She might have disliked them for all we know. I am not willing to make judgements either way without evidence. The evidence put forth that she had problems is entirely unreliable. Some of it is from Ron who would have a reason to know but also has a reason to lie and an aversion to the truth. Most of it comes from Geraldine who is pretending she witnessed things she didn't so even more worthless than Ron. So no reliable evidence at all has been put forth to validate the allegations that were made. I don't know how great Dawn's relationship was with everyone else but I have no reason to believe it was adversarial. Certainly no one who testified at trial such as her aunt and best friend provided any indication of problems.

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:06 am

VintageBoy91 wrote:
There has been nobody that has come forward to say anything about what Dawn's and Alison's relationships were with one another other than Ronnie and Geraldine (unlike others who have commented on the DeFeo family). As I mentioned earlier, there was enough of age difference between Alison and Dawn where they were not competing against one another for boyfriends, friends, school activities. At the time of the murders, Dawn was a grown woman who was out of school while Alison was in middle school. They wouldn't have been bumping into one another very much.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:00 am

Victoria Principles wrote:
VintageBoy91 wrote:
There has been nobody that has come forward to say anything about what Dawn's and Alison's relationships were with one another other than Ronnie and Geraldine (unlike others who have commented on the DeFeo family). As I mentioned earlier, there was enough of age difference between Alison and Dawn where they were not competing against one another for boyfriends, friends, school activities. At the time of the murders, Dawn was a grown woman who was out of school while Alison was in middle school. They wouldn't have been bumping into one another very much.
They lived in the same house, how do you know they had virtually no interaction and didn't bump into eachother much? For all you know they spent a lot of time together at hoime. As for the age difference, Ron was an adult jealous of his younger siblings. It is not impossible that she was jealous of some of them as well. Unless we specifically ask Dawn's closest friends and family we can't even begin to fathom how she viewed anything. It is funny because you always presume you know everything while I clarify the things we can't be sure of. Yet in your alternate reality you insist I am the one who declares I know everything about the DeFeos.

We don't know if Dawn was jealous of her siblings or not. All we know is that no reliable evidence has been presented that she was and certainly no reliable evidence that she was so jealous that she killed any of them because of it. There often is plenty of petty jealously among siblings but it rarely rises to the level of resulting in murder and when it does rise to that level it is almost always because of mental problems. Sometimes mental problems so severe it rises to the level of insanity but most of the time things like personality disorders not insanity

Unfortuantely many people give claims from Geraldine credence, in no small part thanks to Osuna and katzenbach reporting her claims and misrepresenting them as facts. People pick up these claims and adopt them which is why there are so many people alleging them. That is what vintageboy was referring to by saying many people.

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:38 pm

When it comes to books written on the DeFeo case for me there are two lists:

1. The must reads - one book that comes to mind is the only book that deserves to be on this list, and that is High Hopes by Gerard Sullivan and Harvey Aronson;
2. The must not read and avoid like the f*cking plague - The Night the Defeo's Died, by Ric Osuna.

That is all.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:13 am

The Night the DeFeo's Died was wild, just tripping. It was like he just took every idea imaginable that could have possibly happened and wrote it into the book as fact. :?

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:05 pm

What about Hans Holzer's Murder in Amityville? I'm reading that now, I'm on the prologue.

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:52 pm

Does that book come with pictures in it?

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:22 pm

My copy doesn't have pictures, but not sure about other copies.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:14 pm

The one I have has pictures.

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Does it have a picture of a bullet hole in a wall with a glow around it? I am trying to remember if I read that book and I am remembering that picture. :think:

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:38 pm

kathyM wrote:Does it have a picture of a bullet hole in a wall with a glow around it? I am trying to remember if I read that book and I am remembering that picture. :think:
Yes, it does. I think the book is worth a purchase to anyone can find it, because it does have some good photos of the house, and excerpts from the court trial. Even if you don't like Holzer's theories and such, it's still an interesting read. And mine had a cool picture of the movie house on the cover and a section from the 2nd movie, unfortunately most of those are missing from falling out. It's paperback, and it was my sister's, and she's not good at keeping her paperbacks in good condition, lol.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:22 pm

Brooke Forrester wrote:
kathyM wrote:Does it have a picture of a bullet hole in a wall with a glow around it? I am trying to remember if I read that book and I am remembering that picture. :think:
Yes, it does. I think the book is worth a purchase to anyone can find it, because it does have some good photos of the house, and excerpts from the court trial. Even if you don't like Holzer's theories and such, it's still an interesting read. And mine had a cool picture of the movie house on the cover and a section from the 2nd movie, unfortunately most of those are missing from falling out. It's paperback, and it was my sister's, and she's not good at keeping her paperbacks in good condition, lol.
For the most part the interview is worthless. Ron even tries to placate Holzer with nonsense about the house being haunted though not possessed. What was of value was where he admitted he wasn't crazy but was acting crazy and that everything he said about black hands handing him a gun and them wanting to kill him and so forth was all part of the act. He not only admitted killing his family but reiterated something he said at trial- that he wanted to kill his entire family including extended family. He said he felt they all should have died and still believed it at the time of the interview.

So he once again took full credit for the murders and some of the things later used by Osuna and other conspiracy theorists was already explained away as pure fiction to make it seem like he was crazy. Other than that there isn't really much to take away from the book.

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:53 pm

It is a pretty worthless interview because of Ronnie's lies, but I think it's still a pretty interesting read and gives a little insight into where some of the myths come from and Ronnie's personality.

There's also a section at the end of the book that talks about some information Laura DiDio supposedly found, though I'm not sure how accurate I think any of it is and I don't think sources are named.