Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict
Posts: 516
Location: Germany

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by VintageBoy91 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:41 pm

Wow! How did you enlarge the photo of her bag with such a good quality?
Then it was a raffle by a local radio station and she tried to win the first prize of 25.000 dollars.
Now we know that Allison knew about this raffle and that she tried to win prizes there and we know that she (and maybe her whole family) listened to this radio station every day.
Maybe Allison hoped to be spotted by an "official WABC button spotter" on her way to school or something.
That's an amazing fact about her (and also the family life).
Thank you so much "msmart112"!

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict
Posts: 516
Location: Germany

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by VintageBoy91 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:08 pm

btw. From what I saw Dawn and Allison had almost the same book bag. Too bad we can't see if Dawn had such a bumper sticker on her book bag too.

Hahaha I wonder if Ryan also found out (during his "years and years of hard work" trying to find facts about the family life and the whole case) that it was a bumper sticker from a local radio station on Allison's book bag. And that Allison tried to win there.
I guess he didn't. :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
msmart112
Amityville_Member
Posts: 1921

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by msmart112 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:30 pm

Just next to the book bag...on the floor at the foot of her bed...was a puzzle that was completed (or almost completed).

This was the puzzle...

Image

...it was titled "Bad Salzhausen - Hessen - Germany".
Image

User avatar
astonio
Resident
Posts: 941
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by astonio » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:41 pm

OMG. In 2003, I lived an hour and 45min from this puzzle's picture when I lived in Kassel.

Wow!
"Everywhere I went wuz like uh telephone; no answer."

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac
Posts: 1693

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by scipio-USMC » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:28 pm

astonio wrote:OMG. In 2003, I lived an hour and 45min from this puzzle's picture when I lived in Kassel.

Wow!
Funny all these years I thought the puzzle looked like a Southern Plantation farm, never would have guessed it was Germany. I visited Kassel among other places because of it's WWII connection. (Big afficionado of tanks). The only puzzle I own is a 3d puzzle of Neuschwanstein Castle. It took me 2 weeks to assemble and turns out it was missing 5 pieces. I procrastinated so long to write to Milton Bradley for replacement pieces that by the time I did they had stopped making the puzzle and could not supply them. So the puzzle has been in the attic since collecting dust. Europe has so many interesting places to see, the US does too but still can't compete with the vast age.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac
Posts: 1693

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by scipio-USMC » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:32 pm

msmart112 wrote:
VintageBoy91 wrote: Is it possible to find out the year McDonald's sold these bags?
It's actually a bumper sticker on a plain bag...

Image

...the logo on the left is for WABC...

Image

Here's a short article about a 1974 WABC promotion that mentions the bumper stickers...

http://www.musicradio77.com/button.html
I listened to WABC a lot growing up (Yankees and Imus and so forth plus my Dad always had it on in the car) but that promotion was before my time. Other NY radio stations used the same premise though while I was a teenager. I never wanted to put a bumper sticker on my car though. The newest incarnation was you had to listen for them to announce your name and had to call in within an hour of it. That way they made sure you had to listen all damn day.

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict
Posts: 516
Location: Germany

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by VintageBoy91 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:57 am

msmart112 wrote:Just next to the book bag...on the floor at the foot of her bed...was a puzzle that was completed (or almost completed).

This was the puzzle...

Image

...it was titled "Bad Salzhausen - Hessen - Germany".
WOW just wow... where did you find a picture of the box/title of the puzzle? It's just amazing that Allison puzzled a picture of a German castle. I'm from Germany hahaha
btw. From what I know and found out it was (and still is) the kurhaus of Bad Salzhausen and also a hotel.

Here is the homepage:
http://www.kurhaushotel-bad-salzhausen.de/

But it's also sad to think that trying to solve this puzzle was perhaps the last thing Allison did in her life before she went to bed. The image of this German kurhaus was maybe one of the last images she saw (and she was busy with) on the last day of her life.

Mary23
Amityville Addict
Posts: 108

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by Mary23 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:30 am

VintageBoy91 wrote:
msmart112 wrote:Just next to the book bag...on the floor at the foot of her bed...was a puzzle that was completed (or almost completed).

This was the puzzle...

Image

...it was titled "Bad Salzhausen - Hessen - Germany".
WOW just wow... where did you find a picture of the box/title of the puzzle? It's just amazing that Allison puzzled a picture of a German castle. I'm from Germany hahaha
btw. From what I know and found out it was (and still is) the kurhaus of Bad Salzhausen and also a hotel.

Here is the homepage:
http://www.kurhaushotel-bad-salzhausen.de/

But it's also sad to think that trying to solve this puzzle was perhaps the last thing Allison did in her life before she went to bed. The image of this German kurhaus was maybe one of the last images she saw (and she was busy with) on the last day of her life.
Wow, my aunt had that same puzzle when she still lived here, I always wanted to know how was the puzzle that Allison was making and now a great coincidence blows up in my face. That's why I love this kind of posts

User avatar
FoxyP
Amityville Member
Posts: 13
Location: England

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by FoxyP » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:41 am

VintageBoy91 ...........They even had a TV in the kitchen. Alison was said to keep to herself a lot and like jigsaw puzzles. Living in that household would want me to hide in my room too.
Do remember that if you strip away all the lies there is little, if any, evidence to support the assumption that the household was anything other than perfectly normal for a family of 7. Of course there'd have been squabbling between siblings, perfectly normal. No doubt Dawn had quarrels with her parents, she was reaching adulthood - perfectly normal. I'm sure that RJD's unacceptable behaviour caused problems between his parents and his siblings, there's not a single family who could cope easily with a drug and drink abusing son who was not averse to flouting the law - who could?

The few interviews I've seen involving friends/neighbours make no mention of an abusive household, to a man they expressed their shock that the family they knew had all been murdered. When referring to RJD himself however, it seems everyone who knew him said 'Ronnie did it.' There was no suggestion from anyone that they had at first thought the oft-alleged brute of a husband/father had murdered his family and shot himself, even though that is sadly not an uncommon scenario.

There have been several comments from old friends of the children that they played in the house often and that Allison had friends to sleep over - it seems the DeFeo parents were perfectly happy to fill their home with other people's children despite having five of their own cluttering up the place - not the norm for a battered wife and an abusive husband I'd have thought.

All the accusations of beatings and abuse by Mr. DeFeo are hearsay or deliberate fabrication. Just strip away the uncorroborated evidence and what is left?

Fox
Formerly FoxyJ :)

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac
Posts: 1693

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by scipio-USMC » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:07 am

FoxyP wrote:
VintageBoy91 ...........They even had a TV in the kitchen. Alison was said to keep to herself a lot and like jigsaw puzzles. Living in that household would want me to hide in my room too.
Do remember that if you strip away all the lies there is little, if any, evidence to support the assumption that the household was anything other than perfectly normal for a family of 7. Of course there'd have been squabbling between siblings, perfectly normal. No doubt Dawn had quarrels with her parents, she was reaching adulthood - perfectly normal. I'm sure that RJD's unacceptable behaviour caused problems between his parents and his siblings, there's not a single family who could cope easily with a drug and drink abusing son who was not averse to flouting the law - who could?

The few interviews I've seen involving friends/neighbours make no mention of an abusive household, to a man they expressed their shock that the family they knew had all been murdered. When referring to RJD himself however, it seems everyone who knew him said 'Ronnie did it.' There was no suggestion from anyone that they had at first thought the oft-alleged brute of a husband/father had murdered his family and shot himself, even though that is sadly not an uncommon scenario.

There have been several comments from old friends of the children that they played in the house often and that Allison had friends to sleep over - it seems the DeFeo parents were perfectly happy to fill their home with other people's children despite having five of their own cluttering up the place - not the norm for a battered wife and an abusive husband I'd have thought.

All the accusations of beatings and abuse by Mr. DeFeo are hearsay or deliberate fabrication. Just strip away the uncorroborated evidence and what is left?

Fox
Most of the claims are not hearsay but outright lies. Geraldine never met them all the things she allegedly witnessed were thus outright lies. Supposed abuse was a component of Ron's defense. Thus that angle was actually alleged at trial. Despite trying to prove a pattern of abuse, all Ron's lawyer was able to establish was a handful of incidents that took place many years apart. Those incidents were mainly corporal punishment as any parent would do. The only allegation that was even remotely abusive was the allegation Ron Sr punched his wife and knocked her down the basement stairs to eat in peace. The story was alleged by Frank Davidge. Frank Davidge proved himself to be anything but trustworthy when he lied and got his brother to lie in order to help out Ron Jr. A year before the murders he stopped hanging out with Ron because Ron kept pointing guns at him but still was the sort to try to help Ron get out of jail 15 years after his conviction anyway. If he was willing to help by lying 15 years later he surely would have been willing to lie 15 years prior. But for that stairs incident the Defense came up with nothing that qualified as abuse. They failed miserably a proving a pattern of any kind despite wanting and trying to prove it.

The best chance of getting witnesses to abuse would be back then not now. That is when memories would be the most fresh and actually tracking down people you could prove were around would be possible.

Even Ron's own witnesses established what a horror he was. He was the horror not his family.

User avatar
astonio
Resident
Posts: 941
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by astonio » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:55 am

Did some random research on this thread's topic. Interesting enough, after checking every directory for each year the DeFeos lived at 112; and also to include their previous known address of 3501 Foster Avenue in Brooklyn - they apparently did have an unlisted number as there was nothing found relating to a telephone number of the DeFeos from 1966-1974. HOWEVER...maybe this will suffice. I did manage to capture this:

Image

:)
"Everywhere I went wuz like uh telephone; no answer."

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict
Posts: 516
Location: Germany

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by VintageBoy91 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:39 am

Thanks for sharing the information with us Astonio! This thread becomes more and more interesting and fascinating.
Thanks for posting all this stuff and sharing all your knowledge guys! It helped me a lot. :)

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict
Posts: 516
Location: Germany

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by VintageBoy91 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:25 am

As to the telephones: It's an unimportant fact but I noticed that Ronnie and Dawn had the same telephon model/version in their rooms. Dawn's telephone was light red and Ronnie's phone was light blue (fittingly for boy and girl)
Was it with 1970s phones already possible to make internal calls? So that Dawn or Ronnie could have phoned one of the telephones in the kitchen or the basement of the house. So they did not have to come downstairs for every little thing.That would mean that all the phones in the house were connected with eachother?

As to Allison's room: What kind of gadget stands/leans left to the heater in her room (also left to the "McDonald's" book bag)?
What relevance has this cable (?) which is located on the heater? It looks like an extension cable or something.

Maybe somebody has suggestions?

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac
Posts: 1693

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by scipio-USMC » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:52 am

VintageBoy91 wrote:As to the telephones: It's an unimportant fact but I noticed that Ronnie and Dawn had the same telephon model/version in their rooms. Dawn's telephone was light red and Ronnie's phone was light blue (fittingly for boy and girl)
Was it with 1970s phones already possible to make internal calls? So that Dawn or Ronnie could have phoned one of the telephones in the kitchen or the basement of the house. So they did not have to come downstairs for every little thing.That would mean that all the phones in the house were connected with eachother?

As to Allison's room: What kind of gadget stands/leans left to the heater in her room (also left to the "McDonald's" book bag)?
What relevance has this cable (?) which is located on the heater? It looks like an extension cable or something.

Maybe somebody has suggestions?
In order to dial and have a different phone ring phone both phones would need to have different lines. People could simply pick up extensions and then talk to one another without dialing (you would have to scream for them to pick it up though since it would not ring) but after a short time the phone will have an annoying buzz indicating it is off the hook if you don't make an actual call. They could potentially have called the so called red phone.

My current house was built in 1974 and has an intercom system. There is a speaker outside the front door and on the wall in each room. Trying to use phone extensions as an intercom system would not really work. If they had spent money on installing such a system that would speak more to unusual wealth. As it is they didn't have things others aorund them didn't.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac
Posts: 1693

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by scipio-USMC » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:20 am

VintageBoy91 wrote:As to Allison's room: What kind of gadget stands/leans left to the heater in her room (also left to the "McDonald's" book bag)? What relevance has this cable (?) which is located on the heater? It looks like an extension cable or something.

Maybe somebody has suggestions?
on the heater looks like an electric pencil sharpener. To the left looks like an old tape recorder. They used to be big monstrosities like that.

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict
Posts: 516
Location: Germany

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by VintageBoy91 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:24 am

scipio-USMC wrote:
VintageBoy91 wrote:As to Allison's room: What kind of gadget stands/leans left to the heater in her room (also left to the "McDonald's" book bag)? What relevance has this cable (?) which is located on the heater? It looks like an extension cable or something.

Maybe somebody has suggestions?
on the heater looks like an electric pencil sharpener. To the left looks like an old tape recorder. They used to be big monstrosities like that.
An old tape recorder? Interesting. Were these early tape recorders just made for recording music from the radio or was it already possible to record own stuff (the own voice) with a connected microphone. If so it could be theoretical possible that voice recordings of Allison (and maybe her siblings too) could still exist somewhere? Maybe Allison "played" with the tape recorder from time to time and made own recordings of her voice just for fun. It would be so amazing if voice recordings of the DeFeo's would exist somewhere. I would really like to hear their voices.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac
Posts: 1693

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by scipio-USMC » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:32 am

VintageBoy91 wrote:
scipio-USMC wrote:
VintageBoy91 wrote:As to Allison's room: What kind of gadget stands/leans left to the heater in her room (also left to the "McDonald's" book bag)? What relevance has this cable (?) which is located on the heater? It looks like an extension cable or something.

Maybe somebody has suggestions?
on the heater looks like an electric pencil sharpener. To the left looks like an old tape recorder. They used to be big monstrosities like that.
An old tape recorder? Interesting. Were these early tape recorders just made for recording music from the radio or was it already possible to record own stuff (the own voice) with a connected microphone. If so it could be theoretical possible that voice recordings of Allison (and maybe her siblings too) could still exist somewhere? Maybe Allison "played" with the tape recorder from time to time and made own recordings of her voice just for fun. It would be so amazing if voice recordings of the DeFeo's would exist somewhere. I would really like to hear their voices.
Typically you remove the cover and inside was a wire with a microphone attached as well as the actual tape reels. The family would have taken any such recordings if they existed. Most of these got junked but you never know the family could have saved a lot since they died. Some people save any such treasures others get rid of everything. I am sure that the family saved various personal photos and other things you would find interesting. How many are still around who knows. As the family dies off the newer generations if any tend to junk and not care about the older stuff.

User avatar
msmart112
Amityville_Member
Posts: 1921

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by msmart112 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:32 pm

Evidently...Allison wasn't the only child with a jigsaw puzzle in their room...

Image

Image
Image

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict
Posts: 516
Location: Germany

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by VintageBoy91 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:51 am

Good catch "msmart112"! Thanks for the picture. ;) :)

User avatar
Rokiisun
I am the year 1989
Posts: 1187
Location: Scotland

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by Rokiisun » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:40 pm

Good find :) I wonder what other things we can find in the Defeo home by
looking closely at the crime scene photographs.

I'm trying to work out whats on the boys' wallpaper. Is that cowboys and
indians?
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict
Posts: 516
Location: Germany

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by VintageBoy91 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:49 pm

Rokiisun wrote:Good find :) I wonder what other things we can find in the Defeo home by
looking closely at the crime scene photographs.

I'm trying to work out whats on the boys' wallpaper. Is that cowboys and
indians?
I agree. The crime scene photos can tell us a lot about the family life of the DeFeo's. About their hobbies, their style, their way of life and what they defined as important. We just have to look closely and trying to interpret these photos. Even if that can be very difficult.

Btw. is it just me or did the DeFeo's have relatively few books in their home? It's just an assessment. And it's okay. I don't want to blame them for this, there are many people who don't like to read. But for a household of 7 persons there are not many books.

Post Reply