Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Re: Do we know the 1970s telephone number of the house?

Post by Victoria Principles » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:09 am

scipio-USMC wrote:
BooshaGirl wrote:Scipio, I realize you and Victoria have a "hate/hate" relationship, but that latest jab was uncalled for. I thought it looked like a TV screen, as well. She never said it was DEFINITELY a TV. Gosh, none of us lived in the Amityville house--and maybe in your part of the country it was "common" to have more than one television, but in my world, if you had more than one TV in the early 70's, it was definitely a luxury. Most of my friends only had one...and it was in the family/living room. I really appreciate how intelligent you are and your facts are very helpful, but really--Victoria didn't deserve that.
Yes she did. Victoria is a troll on this site. She is a know nothing who thinks of herself as a know-it-all because facing reality hurts too much. All she does it attack people and act like God. Her latest spam is to go out of her way to claim she saw a spaceship with aliens land in Amityville. Nevermind that it has nothing to do with the topic at hand she has to keep mentioning it anyway.

Those who live by the word die by the swrod. She started the crap attacking everyone and pretending she knows all. I am giving her own medicine right back to her and will continue to do so showing her for the crazy moron she is.

As for TVs there was a big difference in price and quality beteween the large sets found in a living room/den and the smaller portable sets found in a kitchen, basement, child's bedroom or the like (which often were black and white). By the late 60s cheap portable sets from Japan flooded the market. Until last year I actually still had one of them but thanks to the digital TV switch it became useless. I was a 1967 Mitsbishi. Still had the original box and paperwork. No one wanted it even for a collector item so it had to be scrapped. I bet most people had no idea Mitsubishi made TVs they think of the Japanese Zero and cars but don't realize the big corporations were into everything. These cheap imports were actually the beginning of the end of US TV production. The purpose of a kitchen TV is obvious. The reason for having additional TVs in other locations in a multiple person household is also obvious. You don't want to watch what your kids watch is the main factor so get them their own set. Stick a TV in the room they play in and that keeps them out of your hair.

The funny thing about that is shows they didn't want to watch with them are no classics in syndication and still played today on TV Land and the like. I had to watch reruns of the Monkeys, Brady Bunch and Partridge family after school each day. Adults didn't want to watch these reruns with us. Now I can't watch any of them without wanting to puke. Yet older adults will watch them on TV Land. I guess things come full circle. A TV set was a sign of wealth in the 50s but by the late 60s it wasn't really a status symbol anymore. Since then certain types of TVs were status symbols but only unil the price came down and they were owned by the masses.

Whether a house could accomodate more than 1 TV depended on the style of the house and whether more than 1 needed depended upon the size of the family and viewing habits. Many houses have more than 1 congregation area but some were small and didn't. My grandmother's house had a den, living room and kitchen on the lower level. So there was a small TV in the kitchen and main TV in the den only. Upstairs were bedrooms. They had only adults in the house so didn't need to worry about kids trying to make them watch crap they didn't want to. Still the master bedroom had a TV anyway to watch TV in bed before falling asleep.

My house had an odd layout. It was an expanded bunglaow. The living room was the first room of the house. The dining room was adjacent to it then the kitchen. Then you go down stairs from the kitchen and there was a den also a door to the basement. The den had sliding doors going out ot the yard. So there were 2 different entertaining areas. Aside from when there were parties with activities outside the den was not used by adults. It is where we played with toys and watched TV while the adults used the living room to watch TV. The living room had the massive Zenith TV set encased in a unit. The den had a newer cheapy TV model. Neither had a remote. The attic was converted to a bedroom and that's where we had a portable TV. My parent's bedroom had the same kind of TV that was in the den. They had to Watch Johnny Carson at night in bed before going to sleep. From the dining room you could see the TV in the living room so that is why no TV was needed in the kitchen. The DeFeo's had the obligatory bedroom TV plus multiple entertaining areas with TVs. The basement was the equivalent of the den and they had a TV room. Presumably the adults used the TV room while the kids used the basement. If they were looking at TVs for status then their living room would have had a big expensive set but interestingly they didn't have a TV there, that space was reserved for music. Neither the room with the bar nor the living room have a TV though those would be the main adult entertaining areas so they obviously didn't have adults over to watch TV. They were into the old school parties where if you wanted to watch TV then you would have to separate from the main party and go off to the basement while shooting pool or something.

It is funny to think how few channels there were during this TV heyday compared to now and yet there are so few good shows on now you have to watch movies or oldies for the most part.
Speaking of Know it alls, you are our King, Corporal Scippy. Most Families did not have more than one TV in the 70's. Allison DeFeo did have a TV in her room and it looked like the boys did as well.

Yes, I did see a UFO land with an alien aboard in Amityville, NY last month. Hundreds of witnesses and there is proof, Corporal Scippy. Of course since you did not see it or them doesn't mean that UFO doesn't exist.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:48 am

Victoria Principles wrote:
scipio-USMC wrote:
BooshaGirl wrote:Scipio, I realize you and Victoria have a "hate/hate" relationship, but that latest jab was uncalled for. I thought it looked like a TV screen, as well. She never said it was DEFINITELY a TV. Gosh, none of us lived in the Amityville house--and maybe in your part of the country it was "common" to have more than one television, but in my world, if you had more than one TV in the early 70's, it was definitely a luxury. Most of my friends only had one...and it was in the family/living room. I really appreciate how intelligent you are and your facts are very helpful, but really--Victoria didn't deserve that.
Yes she did. Victoria is a troll on this site. She is a know nothing who thinks of herself as a know-it-all because facing reality hurts too much. All she does it attack people and act like God. Her latest spam is to go out of her way to claim she saw a spaceship with aliens land in Amityville. Nevermind that it has nothing to do with the topic at hand she has to keep mentioning it anyway.

Those who live by the word die by the swrod. She started the crap attacking everyone and pretending she knows all. I am giving her own medicine right back to her and will continue to do so showing her for the crazy moron she is.

As for TVs there was a big difference in price and quality beteween the large sets found in a living room/den and the smaller portable sets found in a kitchen, basement, child's bedroom or the like (which often were black and white). By the late 60s cheap portable sets from Japan flooded the market. Until last year I actually still had one of them but thanks to the digital TV switch it became useless. I was a 1967 Mitsbishi. Still had the original box and paperwork. No one wanted it even for a collector item so it had to be scrapped. I bet most people had no idea Mitsubishi made TVs they think of the Japanese Zero and cars but don't realize the big corporations were into everything. These cheap imports were actually the beginning of the end of US TV production. The purpose of a kitchen TV is obvious. The reason for having additional TVs in other locations in a multiple person household is also obvious. You don't want to watch what your kids watch is the main factor so get them their own set. Stick a TV in the room they play in and that keeps them out of your hair.

The funny thing about that is shows they didn't want to watch with them are no classics in syndication and still played today on TV Land and the like. I had to watch reruns of the Monkeys, Brady Bunch and Partridge family after school each day. Adults didn't want to watch these reruns with us. Now I can't watch any of them without wanting to puke. Yet older adults will watch them on TV Land. I guess things come full circle. A TV set was a sign of wealth in the 50s but by the late 60s it wasn't really a status symbol anymore. Since then certain types of TVs were status symbols but only unil the price came down and they were owned by the masses.

Whether a house could accomodate more than 1 TV depended on the style of the house and whether more than 1 needed depended upon the size of the family and viewing habits. Many houses have more than 1 congregation area but some were small and didn't. My grandmother's house had a den, living room and kitchen on the lower level. So there was a small TV in the kitchen and main TV in the den only. Upstairs were bedrooms. They had only adults in the house so didn't need to worry about kids trying to make them watch crap they didn't want to. Still the master bedroom had a TV anyway to watch TV in bed before falling asleep.

My house had an odd layout. It was an expanded bunglaow. The living room was the first room of the house. The dining room was adjacent to it then the kitchen. Then you go down stairs from the kitchen and there was a den also a door to the basement. The den had sliding doors going out ot the yard. So there were 2 different entertaining areas. Aside from when there were parties with activities outside the den was not used by adults. It is where we played with toys and watched TV while the adults used the living room to watch TV. The living room had the massive Zenith TV set encased in a unit. The den had a newer cheapy TV model. Neither had a remote. The attic was converted to a bedroom and that's where we had a portable TV. My parent's bedroom had the same kind of TV that was in the den. They had to Watch Johnny Carson at night in bed before going to sleep. From the dining room you could see the TV in the living room so that is why no TV was needed in the kitchen. The DeFeo's had the obligatory bedroom TV plus multiple entertaining areas with TVs. The basement was the equivalent of the den and they had a TV room. Presumably the adults used the TV room while the kids used the basement. If they were looking at TVs for status then their living room would have had a big expensive set but interestingly they didn't have a TV there, that space was reserved for music. Neither the room with the bar nor the living room have a TV though those would be the main adult entertaining areas so they obviously didn't have adults over to watch TV. They were into the old school parties where if you wanted to watch TV then you would have to separate from the main party and go off to the basement while shooting pool or something.

It is funny to think how few channels there were during this TV heyday compared to now and yet there are so few good shows on now you have to watch movies or oldies for the most part.
Speaking of Know it alls, you are our King, Corporal Scippy. Most Families did not have more than one TV in the 70's. Allison DeFeo did have a TV in her room and it looked like the boys did as well.

Yes, I did see a UFO land with an alien aboard in Amityville, NY last month. Hundreds of witnesses and there is proof, Corporal Scippy. Of course since you did not see it or them doesn't mean that UFO doesn't exist.

Many families during the 70s did have more than 1 TV set. I odn't know anyone who had only 1 set in their house during the 70s. Every single family I knew had at least 2. You can claim otherwise all you like it don't mean anymore than when Katzenbach insists the gun he found could have potentially shot 38 special rounds even though the gun was offered in 38 special.

As for your spaceship claims all I can do is laugh at how muts you truly are.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:58 am

By the way here is a stat according to Nielson which of course is an estimate because there was never a survey taken of every household to see how many sets they owned. At the time of the murders 43% of homes had more than one TV set. Stats from other sources vary between 42-49% Whether the truth was 42 or 49% the number is substantial so trying to paint it as extremely unusual doesn't work.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Victoria Principles wrote:Allison DeFeo did have a TV in her room and it looked like the boys did as well.
The TV on Allison's bureau is obvious. There is no TV in the photos of the boy's room. It is just a radiator cover that is on the floor.

http://www.documentingreality.com/forum ... nmatt2.jpg

The alien spaceship you saw was probably a car.

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:49 pm

This has got to be the strangest conversation I have seen in a while here. :dance: :rotate: :lol:

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:46 am

I dunno, I know in the early 90s we couldn't afford more than one working television.
Then again, that was Scotland for you :) I'm pretty sure back then they charged you
extra on your television liscence if you had more than one TV.

I would presume that the US was different and it depended on your income/size of home.

The Defeos had a luxury home, a background of good income and could easily afford a
televison in practically every room of their house.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:03 pm

Rokiisun wrote:I dunno, I know in the early 90s we couldn't afford more than one working television.
Then again, that was Scotland for you :) I'm pretty sure back then they charged you
extra on your television liscence if you had more than one TV.

I would presume that the US was different and it depended on your income/size of home.

The Defeos had a luxury home, a background of good income and could easily afford a
televison in practically every room of their house.
In the US there was no fee for having a TV just a fee for buying it. There was a fee per cable box if you bought cable though.

TV Price depended on a lot of factors ranging from where it was made to the company that made it and naturally the size. Smaller sets like those in the kid's room were not that expensive, I went through several and they weren't all that reliable either. But you made due with what you had. Mine were mainly hand me downs. Relatives apparently had these smaller crappy models, decided to upgrade to a full sized TV and that was how I ended up with them. That could easily explain some of the models in the house. Ones they had in the apartment that they no longer needed because they upgraded or family gave them to the kids.

When you consider how many kids they had and how many fights there would be over what to watch because we know they didn't always want to watch the same thing that helps explain why some of them would have their own TV.

Allison probably didn't want to watch what the boys did which would explain her getting her own set so she didn't have to fight with them.

Incidentally the night of the murders there is evidence according to High Hopes that the boys watched TV in their parent's bedroom with them which further suggests they didn't have one of their own.

BooshaGirl
Amityville Addict

Post by BooshaGirl » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:14 pm

Well, in the 1970's when I was a small child, I must've been in the 51% of the population with only one TV. Even my friends who had living father's only had one TV and there was NO WAY on God's green earth that our folks would allow us to have a television set in our bedrooms! Heck, I had to listen to Monday Night Football on my transistor AM RADIO. Matter of fact, it was Howard Cosell who broke the news to my earphone in 1980 that John Lennon was shot. Okay--maybe THAT transistor radio had FM stations because I listened to music at night--but before 1978, I had a Toot-a-Loop AM radio (it's an S...it's an O...it's a crazy radio) and that was ALL I had for electronics in my bedroom. Damn thing used those square batteries, too. Had to use a penny to open the radio slot to change batteries....better than having to use a screwdriver, though.

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:52 pm

scipio-USMC wrote:By the way here is a stat according to Nielson which of course is an estimate because there was never a survey taken of every household to see how many sets they owned. At the time of the murders 43% of homes had more than one TV set. Stats from other sources vary between 42-49% Whether the truth was 42 or 49% the number is substantial so trying to paint it as extremely unusual doesn't work.
Let's see proof of this, Corporal Scippy.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:55 pm

scipio-USMC wrote:By the way here is a stat according to Nielson which of course is an estimate because there was never a survey taken of every household to see how many sets they owned. At the time of the murders 43% of homes had more than one TV set. Stats from other sources vary between 42-49% Whether the truth was 42 or 49% the number is substantial so trying to paint it as extremely unusual doesn't work.
Try doing research yourself for once. I'm done feeding you troll.

By the way the photo I posted makes it even more clear the radiator cover is what you saw. Amazing how you can see all the radiator covers having the same pattern of the up and down slats and yet claim it is a TV. A TV screen doesn't have slats.

Your UFO was no more a spaceship. You coudln't be right ever by accident even, ou defy the law of averages.

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:10 pm

scipio-USMC wrote:
Try doing research yourself for once. I'm done feeding you troll.

By the way the photo I posted makes it even more clear the radiator cover is what you saw. Amazing how you can see all the radiator covers having the same pattern of the up and down slats and yet claim it is a TV. A TV screen doesn't have slats.

Your UFO was no more a spaceship. You coudln't be right ever by accident even, ou defy the law of averages.
Corporal Blowhard can't back up his statements..again.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:08 pm

Victoria Principles wrote:Corporal Blowhard can't back up his statements..again.
Sure I can, I listed the source mental midget, Nielson. You research their figures yourself if you question it. You don't have the first clue how to do that though. You can only troll around websites looking for things to steal from people and make up things out of the blue. I would not be surprised if you read the youtube comment from a clown claiming he saw a UFO land in Amityville and adopted the claim for yourself. You strike me a lot like Geraldine who likes to pretend. Pretending you are the smartest one in the room though never works. Are you too stupid to realize it and to thus drop the act or do you think one day you might find someone dumb enough for you to fool so you continue with the charade?

Shawn
Been there, Done that

Post by Shawn » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:50 pm

You know, these bickering posts are really getting old. Why don't you BOTH make your own separate thread and QUIT polluting the others. In other words, STFU. :twisted:
Any and all comments made by the poster "Shawn" are purely his opinion and do not reflect the opinions of the board owners, administrators or moderators. Also, all postings done by the member "Shawn" are property of "Shawn" and cannot be reproduced in any way shape or form without written permission from the poster known here(@http://www.amityvillefaq.com) as "Shawn". TIA.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:43 pm

Shawn wrote:You know, these bickering posts are really getting old. Why don't you BOTH make your own separate thread and QUIT polluting the others. In other words, STFU. :twisted:
The troll agues like this with multiple people not just me. I posted substantively to this thread as I do always. If you don't like it don't read it. If the mods want to put an end to it they will have to muzzle the troll.

kudzu
Amityville Addict

Post by kudzu » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:37 am

I vote for creating a new forum called the Amityville Bitching Forum for people who just want to bitch at each other over nothing. :hammer:

astonio
Resident

Post by astonio » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:47 am

Hmmm. I'm not seeing this as two-sided. One poster posts factual credible information pertaining to many aspects of the DeFeo investigation. The other poster posts deliberate jabs/one liners baiting a confrontational response. It's happened many times before and previous posts reflect this.
"Everywhere I went wuz like uh telephone; no answer."

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:00 am

Well you all know how I feel about this and that is all I will say. ;) :)

BooshaGirl
Amityville Addict

Post by BooshaGirl » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:46 am

I've had my run-ins with people here--but usually it can be cleared up.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:19 am

VintageBoy91 wrote:I think they could afford a non-listed phone number. But my feeling says they had a normal phone number. ;) :think:
As to the TVs, you are right Victoria. They had a TV in almost every room of the house. Just in their living room, where most people and families have their TV they had no TV. It's strange.

Btw. I always wondered why Allison had her own TV in her bedroom? She was only a 13 year old girl and it was 1974. That's quite luxury for a teenager in the early 1970s. I wonder why her parents allowed her to have a TV in her room. Maybe she had to share it with her two younger brothers? We will never know....

There is no evidence that the main phone number was unlisted. Victoria seems to think that anyone int he upper middle class simply had an unlisted number because they could afford it. The fee was modest most could afford it. People who have unlisted numbers do so for a reason. The biggest reason is they don't want their address to be found by strangers who will look for them or peopel who will harrass them. What kind of people have these problems? Police for starters as well as other careers where people easily make enemies. Who else? Celebrities. Also estranged lovers who are hiding from their former spouse etc especially if hiding from someone abusive. The average person has a listed number so that people can look them up if needed. The DeFeos enjoyed company and had no reason for an unlisted main number.

There supposedly was a 2nd phone line in the house. Supposedly Ron Sr. had a separate line to the red phone so he could still use a phone to call out from since his wife and kids were always on the main line. To prevent them from having that line be called day and night as well he supposedly didn't tell them the number and didn't have the number printed on the phone itself. They could learn the number if it were listed in a phone book so presumably that one was in fact unlisted.

The phones in all the bedrooms, kitchen etc were all hooked to the same main line. You paid 1 fee for that regarless of how many phones could access it. They had to pay separately to have the second line run to the basement and for that number to remain in service and probably paid for it to be unlisted given the intended purpose.

As for the TV, it actually wasn't that great a luxury. The reception of TVs of the type in Allison's room was not great, at times it merely would be a glorified radio. The picture would have so much snow you could barely see. Still it was a way for her to watch and not have to fight with her brothers who probably were hogging the main TV. Siblings fight all the time over what to watch on TV. Even same gender siblings will fight but brother and sister fight even more because it is rare a brother and sister will like the same kinds of programs. Sisters will be drawn to girly crap that boys won't want to see and when they become teens then the chick flick craze kicks in. For the sake of harmony one can see why it would be better to let her have her own TV.

I also happen to agree with something else you said. Just because she had a puzzle in her room doesn't mean she was heavily into puzzles. I had a puzzle in my room which I left unfinished for ages because I didn't feel like playing with it. If i truly liked puzzles I would have taken it apart and then put it together anoher time. I didn't want to have to do the work over so left it intact but never did get around to finishing it. We need to know more before we can say that means she was heavily into puzzles.

One of the things in Allison's room I was drawn to was the fact she had a McDonald's book bag. That's one of the first things that stood out in the photos.

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict

Post by VintageBoy91 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:22 pm

Yes her McDonald's book bag was the first thing I noticed when I saw her crime scene pictures for the first time.
Is it possible to find out the year McDonald's sold these bags? I guess Dawn had also a similar book bag in her room but I'm not sure if it was one from McDonald's.
But the first thing I noticed in Dawn's room was the stuffed animal sitting on the chair in the corner. I guess it's a monkey.I wish that stuffed animal could speak. Because it had the perfect view of what really happened in her room. ;)

Hmmm can we say that the DeFeo's often went to McDonald's with reference to the book bag?

msmart112
Amityville_Member

Post by msmart112 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:24 pm

VintageBoy91 wrote: Is it possible to find out the year McDonald's sold these bags?
It's actually a bumper sticker on a plain bag...

...the logo on the left is for WABC...

Here's a short article about a 1974 WABC promotion that mentions the bumper stickers...

http://www.musicradio77.com/button.html