What sort of music did the Defeo kids listen too

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
Jessicahorror
Amityville Member

What sort of music did the Defeo kids listen too

Post by Jessicahorror » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:56 pm

I'm just curious to hear what music dawn or Ronald jr or even any of the the other younger kids would have listen too where there tapes found at the crime scene with there favorite music on them I'm so curious to know :think:

Tim
The monkey supplied the glue.

Re: What sort of music did the Defeo kids listen too

Post by Tim » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm pretty sure they listened to Lalo Schifrin...
"Things of this nature happen quite frequently,and when they happen to families, they usually close the door and they don't talk about it; and unless these things are talked about, they'll never be understood." - Kathy Lutz

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:12 am

Really? I thought they would have listened to german marching bands... :lol:
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict

Post by VintageBoy91 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:22 pm

That's a very good question. Thanks for opening this thread "Jessicahorror ".

I think Ronnie had no special taste in music. I can't imagine him listening to music for some reason.
Bad persons don't have music and don't listen to it.
Dawn maybe listened to the 70s mainstream popular music. Musicans who were at the top of the pops back then. Like most teenage girls do (in every decade and generation).
Perhaps Allison too!? Which musican was the "crush boy" for 13 year old girls back in 1974? Maybe Allison's favorite singer was Donny Osmond? I think Osmond was very popular for young girls back in the early 70s.
Marc and John had no special taste in music too. They were too young so they listened to every type of music. :)
But that's just my imagination about the DeFeo family's sort of music. We will never know the truth.

Btw. I guess Dawn had a record player / stereo in her bedroom if I remember the crime scene photos right. But I'm not sure.

Jessicahorror
Amityville Member

Post by Jessicahorror » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:02 pm

Yah I guess like the partridge family David Cassidy and all those other bands and singers where around specially cool with teenager girls my mom who was around the same age as dawn in the early 70s loved Jackson 5

Fr Dennis Kibbler
That evil is searching for souls

Post by Fr Dennis Kibbler » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:54 pm

"The Streak" by Ray Stevens was a number one song a few months prior to the murders in 1974. I know I used to love that song when I was a kid.
"You told me the house was saved now."

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict

Post by VintageBoy91 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:13 pm

Maybe they listened to some of these songs too?

Jessicahorror
Amityville Member

Post by Jessicahorror » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Thanks vintageBoy91 I love some of these songs myself

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:25 am

Ronnie said Dawn liked the funk music (Parliment, etc) that was the precursor to the disco era of this time. He said he hated it and used a racial slur to describe it.

Jessicahorror
Amityville Member

Post by Jessicahorror » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:54 am

Wow thanks Victoria

Jacobmarley1
Amityville Addict

Post by Jacobmarley1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:20 am

It's possible that the kids really weren't up on music. I remember myself at their ages, and music held no appeal to me. I was addicted to the TV, and could recite the TV Guide to you - but music? Nah, didn't care about it.

Even today, as a 43-year old person, I couldn't tell you what song is No.1 because I just don't care anymore. Today's music holds no appeal to me.

The odds that John knew the song Seasons In The Sun or The Streak are low, unless his brother Marc liked it (they appeared to be close, sharing the same room and all). Allison might have been a little more "in tune" with the music scene, because girls tend to flock to the current music scene in order to have something to talk about with their girlfriends.

A little off-topic, but Ronnie might have resented his brothers due to Marc and John being close in age, and friends with each other.

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:03 am

I heard either Ronnie or Dawn or both of them liked Hendrix.

If only we could blow up that picture of the vinyls in Dawn's bedroom
We could maybe get an idea of sorts.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

Vlad
Amityville Addict

Post by Vlad » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:06 pm

For some reason, I always hear "Stairway to Heaven" when I think about the murders.

litown
Amityville Member

Post by litown » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:16 pm

Can't really be sure what music each one in the family preferred beyond what's been hinted at, such as Dawn's preference as indicated by Ron's confession, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that everyone in the family listened to one of these radio stations at some point. Everybody did in the NY Metro area back when radio was still radio (before video killed the radio star).... sounds from September 1974

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnpC-ApRbLM

Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

Post by Amity108 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:06 pm

I remember reading something yearssssss ago stating that Ronnies favorite song just before he got locked up was Backstabbers by The O'jays. I'm sure the kids listened to top 40 music back then as most teens and children as well as young adults listened to back then. I know back then when I was a child, I practically grew up listening to the radio and was set on a top 40 station out of Philly. WIFI were the call letters 92.5 FM. Today is a country station. My mother always had and listened to up to date music and me growing up in the 70s and 80s, wore the heck out of some 45s. Always have listened to top 40 and still do now being in my 40s.
A lot of flies, a lot of mud...a lot of everything in there. If I were you, I'd stay out of there!

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:13 am

Ha, The O'Jays were live on UK tele last night - they're still going!

Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

Post by Amity108 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:43 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:Ha, The O'Jays were live on UK tele last night - they're still going!
Awesome and as with a lot of artists from back in the day. :D
A lot of flies, a lot of mud...a lot of everything in there. If I were you, I'd stay out of there!

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict

Post by VintageBoy91 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:14 am

Strange, I always thought that Ronnie hated black music. :think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6h1BV7FZqs

Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

Post by Amity108 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:37 am

VintageBoy91 wrote:Strange, I always thought that Ronnie hated black . :think:

https://www.youtube.com/?v=T6h1BV7FZqs
If he did, even back then it was hard to avoid.
Amity108 wrote: I'm sure the kids listened to top 40 music back then as most teens and children as well as young adults listened to back then.
With what I said here the other day then later finding that Allison had a WABC sticker on her book bag pretty much tells me I was spot on with her at least listening to top 40 since WABC was a top 40 station back then.