big ronnie's song

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
lostinthe50s81
Amityville Member

big ronnie's song

Post by lostinthe50s81 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:07 pm

hey. i've lurked on these boards for years but only posted once or twice, so technically i'm still new here lol. forgive me for starting a new topic but i don't know if this has been covered prior. i read somewhere that ronald defeo sr. had either written or co-written a song called "the real thing" which was performed by joe williams. supposedly what happened was big ronnie and louise had separated sometime in the 60s for unknown reasons, and big ronnie in an attempt to profess his true love for her and win her back, he wrote that song for her. apparently it worked lol. however, i've searched the net high and low for this song and can't find it, nor any info on it. can anyone tell me if this is true, or just more false rumors? if it's true, i'd love to hear the song.

NOVEMBER 13 1974
Amityville Member

Re: big ronnie's song

Post by NOVEMBER 13 1974 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:43 am

I have the song and the ablum cover artwork. I don't see anywhere to upload it here. Am I able to upload a song file here?

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:42 pm

It's a load of horsecrap by Geraldine that was published in Osuna's book. Geraldine made up a ton of things about songs and music including the claim she was a singer and Ron met her while she was singing at a club. Most of her time is spent inventing a false history where she was a somebody. She was never a singer and even the tale of how they met that Ron Jr helped make up was that she was at a club with friends when he met her. That is what was published in the 1986 Newsday Article. Geraldine never lets past accounts stand in her way of making up new ones though.

Miz Kizzle
Amityville Addict

Post by Miz Kizzle » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:50 am

Geraldine made it up? Darn. I always imagined Big Ronnie fancied himself a crooner like Frankie Blue Eyes or Der Bingle.
Did Big Ronnie or anyone else in the household play a musical instrument, or was it only Louise at the piano, pounding out "This is Not a House of Ill Repute" as Butch and Geraldine canoodled in the basement playroom?
J/K. I know Butch and Geraldine never canoodled, in the basement or anywhere else.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:51 pm

Miz Kizzle wrote:Geraldine made it up? Darn. I always imagined Big Ronnie fancied himself a crooner like Frankie Blue Eyes or Der Bingle.
Did Big Ronnie or anyone else in the household play a musical instrument, or was it only Louise at the piano, pounding out "This is Not a House of Ill Repute" as Butch and Geraldine canoodled in the basement playroom?
J/K. I know Butch and Geraldine never canoodled, in the basement or anywhere else.
The music was written by a different Ronnie DeFeo and the words were written by Lou Fields. She just figured since it said Ronnie DeFeo somewhere on the credits that this would be enough to fool people even though he wrote the music not the words. The fact Osuna published it even though simple research shows Lou Fields wrote the words proves how Osuna will write anything.

FoxyP
Amityville Member

Post by FoxyP » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:20 am

Hi: I'm not exactly new here and, like the thread-starter, have been lurking for ages unable to log in for some reason. I've decided to re-register and have asked 'management' if it's possible to have my old a/c reinstated. My previous username was FoxyJ.

Via Tracey a few years ago, I asked RJD if the song story was true and he said it was not. It's quite a coincidence that another Ron DeFeo wrote the music - you couldn't make it up! :D

Fox :)

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:45 am

FoxyP wrote:Hi: I'm not exactly new here and, like the thread-starter, have been lurking for ages unable to log in for some reason. I've decided to re-register and have asked 'management' if it's possible to have my old a/c reinstated. My previous username was FoxyJ.

Via Tracey a few years ago, I asked RJD if the song story was true and he said it was not. It's quite a coincidence that another Ron DeFeo wrote the music - you couldn't make it up! :D

The claim was that Ron Sr wrote the words. A careful reading of the credits reveals Lou Fields wrote the words. The other Ronnie DeFeo wrote the music melody Words were added to that melody later by someone else. That alone proves the claim Ron Sr wrote the words to profes shis love for Louise pure BS. There isn't even a need to investigate more about the Ronnie DeFeo who wrote the melody since the claim was already proved false.

Since that was a big fat lie why would anyone believe there were any marrital problems. At any rate that is the question that would have been interesting to pose though how could we trust we would get an honest answer from him anyway.

FoxyP
Amityville Member

Post by FoxyP » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:12 pm

You're right Scipio. If we take away everything that has been reported by Geraldine Gates the Nonnewitzes or Ron Jr himself, there is absolutely nothing to suggest there was marital disharmony between Mr. & Mrs. DeFeo. Immediately following the murders, shocked neighbours intimated in interviews that the DeFeos were a perfectly normal family (I'm sure most knew of Ron Jr's dodgy dealings but that was not the time to discuss them obviously). It would be unusual for any mother and father of six children to live in perfect harmony in any family and I'm sure there were the normal rows and squabbles between the siblings that drove their parents to distraction - having a pain in the butt son as Ron Jr appeared to be would not be conducive to sweetness and light, especially as he'd recently been suspected of robbing his grandfather's business of a good deal of money.

We mothers do have a habit of protecting our children from the wrath of fathers and that could cause a good deal of friction and most likely did in the DeFeo household on occasions. However, with the exception of those with an axe to grind, there is nothing to suggest that the children were harshly treated or that Mr. DeFeo was anything other than a good husband and father. I recall in a documentary, when one acquaintance found out about the murders his immediate reaction was that "Ronnie did it." There was no suggestion from anyone that it could have been anyone else in the family. Even Rufus Ireland was of the opinion that RJD wasn't playing "with a full deck."

I do not believe that Dawn threatened her father with a knife, that RJD threatened his father with a shotgun or that Mr. DeFeo threw his wife down the basement stairs as Ronnie suggested. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Mr DeFeo walloped his son on more than one occasion given his behaviour that would have frustrated a saint - wrong? Yes; understandable? Yes. I do still hold the opinion that the murders were triggered by events following the dealership robbery the blame for which Mr. DeFeo placed solely on Ronnie - we do know this from witness statements from staff members who were present during a heated exchange between Ronnie and his father who did not believe Ronnie's story that he'd been 'hijacked' and cash/cheques stolen by persons unknown. It is, however, difficult to separate the truth from the lies bandied about by Mrs. Gates and her 'supporters.' If we can do this, there is next to nothing left other than a psychopathic son decided to get rid of his entire family for reasons about which we can only continue to speculate.

Formerly FoxyJ :)

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict

Post by VintageBoy91 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:58 am

I never really believed the story with Big Ronnie's song. Nice that we have certainness now.