I Got a Copy of High Hopes!

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
girlyfied
Amityville Member

I Got a Copy of High Hopes!

Post by girlyfied » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:42 pm

Thank you to everyone who mentioned the book. I didn't know it existed until I read about it here. I found a decently priced ($15) copy on Ebay. It's really an amazing read. Again, thank you for talking about the book. I hope this post is okay. I only want to give my appreciation to the board.

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Re: I Got a Copy of High Hopes!

Post by Brendan72 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:49 am

In my opinion it is the only reliable and accurate book written about the murders to date.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:55 pm

Looks a good read. One day I shall get myself an import...
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

girlyfied
Amityville Member

Post by girlyfied » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:22 am

I finished it last night. Wow! There was so much I didn't know before reading. I do have some questions, like if anyone ever found the money and jewels? And who us the real Lou's Falini? One thing s for sure I do not believe Ronald, Jr. Should ever be released. No good will ever come of his release.

Rokiisun, keep checking Ebay. I got lucky and there was a reasonably priced copy listed. Good luck in your search!

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:41 am

girlyfied wrote:I finished it last night. Wow! There was so much I didn't know before reading. I do have some questions, like if anyone ever found the money and jewels? And who us the real Lou's Falini? One thing s for sure I do not believe Ronald, Jr. Should ever be released. No good will ever come of his release.

Rokiisun, keep checking Ebay. I got lucky and there was a reasonably priced copy listed. Good luck in your search!
We don't know if a substantial amount of money and jewels really were present in the house at the time they were murdered but if there was then for sure Ronnie took it. After they were dead he figured anything they had was his.

Falini's real name was Tony Mazeo and he was ruled out early on because many people confirmed he was out of state at the time of the murders.

girlyfied
Amityville Member

Post by girlyfied » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:50 am

scipio-USMC wrote:
girlyfied wrote:I finished it last night. Wow! There was so much I didn't know before reading. I do have some questions, like if anyone ever found the money and jewels? And who us the real Lou's Falini? One thing s for sure I do not believe Ronald, Jr. Should ever be released. No good will ever come of his release.

We don't know if a substantial amount of money and jewels really were present in the house at the time they were murdered but if there was then for sure Ronnie took it. After they were dead he figured anything they had was his.

Falini's real name was Tony Mazeo and he was ruled out early on because many people confirmed he was out of state at the time of the murders.
Thanks for the info. Sullivan seemed to believe there was money and jewels stolen. Since Ronald, Jr. was in protective custody shortly after police arrived, he never had a chance to go back to the loot. I was just wondering who the real Falini was. That's interesting.

scipio-USMC
Amityville Maniac

Post by scipio-USMC » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:24 am

girlyfied wrote:
scipio-USMC wrote:

Thanks for the info. Sullivan seemed to believe there was money and jewels stolen. Since Ronald, Jr. was in protective custody shortly after police arrived, he never had a chance to go back to the loot. I was just wondering who the real Falini was. That's interesting.
Ronnie's tales included claims about Jewels and substantial amounts of money being in the empty box in the floor. It is possible his parents only hid small sums in there or that it varied at any given time. We can't be sure of that. Ronnie had many hours to raid it and could have bought some of the heroin he supposedly got from his friend with it. We can't be sure how much he spent before the police got to him. He spent some at a jewelry store quite clearly.

The most critical revelations in the book as far as I am concerned (aside from the account of his confession) are as follows:

1) In early 1974 Ronnie wanted to marry someone he met at Henry's, he took her home to meet his parents they told him he was crazy to be engaged to someone he barely knew and just met, and so she fled the house and took off on her own. He drove after her and ended up causing her to wreck her car and she was in bad shape for quite some time. He felt bad at first and visited her but eventually stopped showing up because she could not have sex in her casts and he found another girl. She is one of the sources for the claim at some point he had a 4" barreled .38 special but no clue what happened to it. Obviously he can't have been married at the time to bring her home and say he was engaged to her. So Geraldine's new claims that they were married at the time don't fly. Note that the date she claims they married changes constantly. Initially October 1974, later it was changed to 1970 and eventually moved back to 1969.

2) Sullivan obtained all records of those who visited Ronnie in jail and who exchanged mail with him. He then interviewed all such people (except his attorneys) and obtained copies of all such correspondence some of which was actually included in the book. Geraldine was not among any of the visitors nor did she ever exchange mail with him. Thus she was never questioned by Sullivan as she would have been if she had actually visisted as she now claims. In short this proves her to be a liar about visiting him. Moreover, one of the letters he wrote to his grandparents from prison that was published in High Hopes states his only family is dead and he is all alone now. Those are certainly not the words of a man with a child and wife. It is further evidence her claims are BS.

3) High Hopes details witness accounts of various things such as the infamous visit to the hospital to visit Marc. Geraldine insists she was present but the account in the book lists Mindy Weiss (pseudonym in High Hopes Sherry Klein) as the one present with Ronnie's other friends. Not only does that account show Geraldine blatantly lied, it also is significant because Ron Sr. told his friends to get Ronnie out of there the famiy didn't want him there. Ron Sr. was apparently not on speaking terms with Ronnie at the time and insinuated if Ronnie didn't leave he would be thrown out. This in combo with some things Ron supposedly told Kelske (also in the book) suggests that Ronnie was being kicked out of the house. If so that could be his motive right there. We will never know for sure but it is one possibility.

4) Details about how Ronnie was supposed to drive his fathers car to work to get it repaired are worthy of note. That explains why the cars were parked the way they were. Ronnie's car was last (meaning the car furthest in the driveway), then the station wagon and first was his father's car. His father's car was the first car because it was supposed to be the first to leave. Ronnie should have driven his father's car to get it repaired. He didn't bother because he just killed his father so didn't care. He wanted police ot believe his family wa skilled after he left and he had no clue. That being the case to keep up appearances he should have driven his father's car and had it repaired but wasn't smart enough or rather planned to cut out early and figured the car might not be done in time for him to leave early so he had better not. Either way it sinks him. His confession even detailed how his car was behind the other two and he had to cut across the Ireland's driveway to get out. These details are also significant in evaluating the claims made in The Night The DeFeos Died. In that book Dawn allegedly borrowed Ronnie's car to go to the bar and later he drove it to look for Kelske. If either were ture his car would have been the closest to the street when he was leaving for work not behind the other cars. It is just more evidence about the revisionist account conflicting with contemporary accounts.