The Last Time They Were All Together

General Discussion About the 1974 DeFeo Murders and related topics
Post Reply
TheLeveller
Amityville Member
Posts: 15

The Last Time They Were All Together

Post by TheLeveller » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:05 pm

Hi folks,

Hello from Ireland. Hope its ok to dip my paw into the murky waters of the site. I discovered this site about a month ago, and have been lurking since. Hope you don't mind. I was just thinking about the last time they were all together. I wonder was there tension or did Ronnie even contemplate what he would go on and do.

User avatar
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul
Posts: 11837

Re: The Last Time They Were All Together

Post by Dan the Damned » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:58 am

No one knows how much (or even if) Ronnie contemplated.

My feeling is that the whole thing was totally spur of the moment.

I think he was stressing out over the next day's visit with his probation officer. Possibly due to new information that would incriminate him in the heist of the car dealership's payroll. I think the stress was getting to him that night and I think he felt like a terrified rat trapped in a corner, and I think he just snapped.

If this was planned, you'd think he would have made a better effort to make it look like a robbery (or even to have an alibi). Or even to have the forethought not to use your own rifle (the box to which was still sitting in your closet). Or maybe kill your dad away from home, like on a hunting trip or something, where it could be ruled an accident.

So yeah, it all seemed unplanned to me.

As to their last time together, I would assume it was earlier that night. And if Ronnie was all stressed as I imagine (and if his father was the target due to him planning to give damning info to his son's probation officer), then yeah, I'd imagine there probably was a lot of tension.

But all of this is just my own theory. Ronnie was scheduled to meet with his probation officer the day after the murders, and I don't think that was a coincidence.

TheLeveller
Amityville Member
Posts: 15

Re: The Last Time They Were All Together

Post by TheLeveller » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:29 pm

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the reply. It makes sense what you say. It's strange. For years I only focused on the haunting side of things. It's only since I discovered this site, that I actually thought about the murders and the human aspect. And I work in the equivalent of law enforcement here, so I suppose I look at it in a new light. I still think he acted alone, but in my opinion he made them turn over. I can't see it any other way. I also believe he was out of it. But again we will never know. I'm looking forward to talking to some of you here, and thank you for having me. I will say one thing. For the people who arrived on the scene, I would imagine it stayed with them. It's not something you could get immune to. Especially the little ones.

Buick - 1975
Amityville Member
Posts: 52

Re: The Last Time They Were All Together

Post by Buick - 1975 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:00 am

TheLeveller wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:05 pm
Hi folks,

Hello from Ireland. Hope its ok to dip my paw into the murky waters of the site. I discovered this site about a month ago, and have been lurking since. Hope you don't mind. I was just thinking about the last time they were all together. I wonder was there tension or did Ronnie even contemplate what he would go on and do.
There was meant to have been shouting and talk of Dawn trying to attack her father with a knife a few nights before the murders and Ron Jr. telling her to get out until their father cooled down. There was supposed to have been another argument earlier on the evening before the murders, when Ron Jr. was in the TV room upstairs. He said he heard Dawn, his mother and father shouting and that it was happening every day.

Then in some of the newspaper articles a few days after the murders they said that Ron Jr. was ordered out of the house earlier that night after an argument with his father.

TheLeveller
Amityville Member
Posts: 15

Re: The Last Time They Were All Together

Post by TheLeveller » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:00 am

I suppose its safe to say that Ronnie will take the truth to the grave with him. I can't imagine what it must be like to spend most of your life in prison though. Does he have nightmares about the night it happened. Does he even remember it. It gives me the shivers. This might seem like an odd thing to say, but the fact that he cleaned up afterwards makes it even worse. I mean if he killed them and then rushed out of the house in a blind panic, that is one thing. But to spend however long cleaning up after the fact. I don't know. It just seems to make the act even colder. I don't know if I explained myself properly there. I'm rambling.

Buick - 1975
Amityville Member
Posts: 52

Re: The Last Time They Were All Together

Post by Buick - 1975 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:00 pm

TheLeveller wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:00 am
I suppose its safe to say that Ronnie will take the truth to the grave with him. I can't imagine what it must be like to spend most of your life in prison though. Does he have nightmares about the night it happened. Does he even remember it. It gives me the shivers. This might seem like an odd thing to say, but the fact that he cleaned up afterwards makes it even worse. I mean if he killed them and then rushed out of the house in a blind panic, that is one thing. But to spend however long cleaning up after the fact. I don't know. It just seems to make the act even colder. I don't know if I explained myself properly there. I'm rambling.

Yes I don't think he'll ever say exactly what happened that night after all these years. He did admit to killing his family though and doing it alone. He said his family were a danger to his life and he felt good that they were dead. That's very cold I agree, and then to go to work and take his girlfriend out shopping is also unbelievable.

User avatar
Rokiisun
I am the year 1989
Posts: 1189
Location: Scotland

Re: The Last Time They Were All Together

Post by Rokiisun » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:31 am

I believe that Ronnie has either forgotten what happened that night or is unwilling to tell the truth. I also feel that he changes his story frequently either because he cannot fill in the blanks or because he’s a liar (or both).

The fact he can’t really explain what happened that night (in my opinion) would suggest to me it was spur of the moment and not really planned out. I do think he shot his parents first (as that fact doesn’t seem to change in any of his stories) before shooting everyone else, then returning back to his parents room at some point again to fire more shots.

As for the last time they were all together - Halloween had just passed 19 days before and there were still some Halloween decorations throughout (pumpkin in the kitchen being one of them) so I would guess the children (at least) did something together for Halloween.

The last day - some family members (or maybe all, we don’t know) probably would have eaten together at the dinner table before splitting off to do their own things or settle into their night routines, but there were rumours of arguments taking place that night too and by the end of the night everyone was divided into different rooms doing different things (Ronnie watching TV in the TV room for instance whilst everyone slept) and dawn was by herself on the third floor sleeping too.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

TheLeveller
Amityville Member
Posts: 15

Re: The Last Time They Were All Together

Post by TheLeveller » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:12 pm

Buick - 1975 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:00 pm
TheLeveller wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:00 am
I suppose its safe to say that Ronnie will take the truth to the grave with him. I can't imagine what it must be like to spend most of your life in prison though. Does he have nightmares about the night it happened. Does he even remember it. It gives me the shivers. This might seem like an odd thing to say, but the fact that he cleaned up afterwards makes it even worse. I mean if he killed them and then rushed out of the house in a blind panic, that is one thing. But to spend however long cleaning up after the fact. I don't know. It just seems to make the act even colder. I don't know if I explained myself properly there. I'm rambling.

Yes I don't think he'll ever say exactly what happened that night after all these years. He did admit to killing his family though and doing it alone. He said his family were a danger to his life and he felt good that they were dead. That's very cold I agree, and then to go to work and take his girlfriend out shopping is also unbelievable.
It's scary that someone so young could do it. I would consider 24 to be young. So that is scary for someone so young to commit that terrible act. I doubt he will ever see the outside world again.

TheLeveller
Amityville Member
Posts: 15

Re: The Last Time They Were All Together

Post by TheLeveller » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:15 pm

Rokiisun wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:31 am
I believe that Ronnie has either forgotten what happened that night or is unwilling to tell the truth. I also feel that he changes his story frequently either because he cannot fill in the blanks or because he’s a liar (or both).

The fact he can’t really explain what happened that night (in my opinion) would suggest to me it was spur of the moment and not really planned out. I do think he shot his parents first (as that fact doesn’t seem to change in any of his stories) before shooting everyone else, then returning back to his parents room at some point again to fire more shots.

As for the last time they were all together - Halloween had just passed 19 days before and there were still some Halloween decorations throughout (pumpkin in the kitchen being one of them) so I would guess the children (at least) did something together for Halloween.

The last day - some family members (or maybe all, we don’t know) probably would have eaten together at the dinner table before splitting off to do their own things or settle into their night routines, but there were rumours of arguments taking place that night too and by the end of the night everyone was divided into different rooms doing different things (Ronnie watching TV in the TV room for instance whilst everyone slept) and dawn was by herself on the third floor sleeping too.
I tend to agree with you. I just can't make up my mind which it is. That he has forgotten, or he's unwilling to talk. I'm leaning towards forgotten. I think if he remembered everything, he wouldn't be able to stop talking. He wouldn't be able to keep it to himself for so long. Of course I could be completely wrong about that.

Buick - 1975
Amityville Member
Posts: 52

Re: The Last Time They Were All Together

Post by Buick - 1975 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:15 am

Rokiisun wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:31 am
I believe that Ronnie has either forgotten what happened that night or is unwilling to tell the truth. I also feel that he changes his story frequently either because he cannot fill in the blanks or because he’s a liar (or both).

The fact he can’t really explain what happened that night (in my opinion) would suggest to me it was spur of the moment and not really planned out. I do think he shot his parents first (as that fact doesn’t seem to change in any of his stories) before shooting everyone else, then returning back to his parents room at some point again to fire more shots.

As for the last time they were all together - Halloween had just passed 19 days before and there were still some Halloween decorations throughout (pumpkin in the kitchen being one of them) so I would guess the children (at least) did something together for Halloween.

The last day - some family members (or maybe all, we don’t know) probably would have eaten together at the dinner table before splitting off to do their own things or settle into their night routines, but there were rumours of arguments taking place that night too and by the end of the night everyone was divided into different rooms doing different things (Ronnie watching TV in the TV room for instance whilst everyone slept) and dawn was by herself on the third floor sleeping too.
It seems that before the murders it was just a normal evening. A pan and glass in the sink and schoolbooks on the dining room table. They had all eaten stew (except Butch) earlier that evening and there was evidence John and Mr. DeFeo ate some more before bedtime and also ice cream because of the spoons and small plates on the radiator cover in the master bedroom. That's where Ron said he heard them talking about him from the TV room and he felt they were a danger to his life.

TheLeveller
Amityville Member
Posts: 15

Re: The Last Time They Were All Together

Post by TheLeveller » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:48 pm

I would love to see those schoolbooks. It would be interesting to see what they were learning about back then.

Post Reply