Amityville items from 76 sale

For Discussion Of Amityville Photographs
pisgah_hiker
Paranormal Collector

Amityville items from 76 sale

Post by pisgah_hiker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:34 pm

One of the items in my collection..from the 1976 sale.
The COA is in a folder attached to the back of the display case.

I have it listed on ebay with a outrageous price just to get a idea of it's value.
Anyone care to give a estimate? I don't think I'm ready to part with it yet for any amount at the moment.
The photo is on a 4.25x4.25 tile box is has lights all around it.

It really sets the room off at night.
The most fun I have had with it is watching people read the engraved plate then get away from it as quickly as possible.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Re: Amityville items from 76 sale

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:23 am

Hey, welcome to the board!

I don't think anyone can give an estimate on this - best thing is to see how it goes on ebay (do you have a link?)

Did you pick these up in person in '76? We'd love to hear about that :)

pisgah_hiker
Paranormal Collector

Post by pisgah_hiker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:33 am

These were picked up by another paranormal collector many years ago. After 15 years in his collection I was able to acquire them.
They were not in a display at the time simply kept in a safe. I couldn't just put them away in a drawer.
I felt they should be able to be seen, at the same time they needed to be secured to where they couldn't just walk away. So I built the display case and mounted them.

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:40 am

pisgah_hiker wrote:These were picked up by another paranormal collector many years ago. After 15 years in his collection I was able to acquire them.
They were not in a display at the time simply kept in a safe. I couldn't just put them away in a drawer.
I felt they should be able to be seen, at the same time they needed to be secured to where they couldn't just walk away. So I built the display case and mounted them.
You made a really good job of it - they would look good in just about any room.... And what a conversation piece!!!
I wish I had the nerve not to tip...

pisgah_hiker
Paranormal Collector

Post by pisgah_hiker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:02 am

I build these cases all the time. Each one is different no two are alike. I sometimes sell empty cases on eBay.
If anyone is interested in one I can give you a quote.
I've even been known to build these out of 100+ year old lumber from some crazy places.
There is a few of these cases at well known occult/haunted museums.
I can have engraving done and the printing on tile or metal plates at super discounted prices.
I'm working on having pictures engraved into glass at the moment.

I would like some other Amityville stuff from 76 but the stuff is super hard to find. The items that are claimed from there usually don't have a COA so I don't mess with them.

If you see a case on my wall you can bet there is a COA behind it.
As of right now my collection consists of

Amityville , Danvers lunatic asylum, Waverly Hills, Barker Ranch "Manson family"

Patterson gimlin "bigfoot" and Goldfield Hotel

As far as hard to get Amityville and Goldfield would be the hardest.

A note on Goldfield stuff...I see lots of items on Ebay from Goldfield Hotel
Here is the low down on it .
The spittoons, bed warmers, bells, oil lamps both single and double are fantasy pieces.
If It has a tag on it that says Goldfield Hotel Goldfield Nevada it's a fake.
They were made in late 70's early 80's and sold just outside Reno.
When I first got into collecting I spotted these and lucky for me did some research and did not get burned.

This year I plan to acquire items from Bobby Mackey's Music World. I will be doing a overnight stay there.
We also plan to revisit Waverly Hills again. This time we will have Waverly Hills to our self's with a total of 5-6 people in the building all night.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 am

I found the ebay link -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amityville-horr ... 232560cdbe

How do you know the items were used by the DeFeo's as well as the Lutzes?

pisgah_hiker
Paranormal Collector

Post by pisgah_hiker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:43 am

The items came from Burns and Colbert CO.

They acquired the items in 76 at the estate sale on Aug 6th 1976

In 86 the owner of the items home caught fire. The items survived the fire however the COA received smoke and water damage.
I also have the damaged COA it is in really bad shape.
The COA and items went thru re certification via Burns and Colbert again
Certified by Michael C Vista & Doug L Boosh on 4/14/87

I have tried to scan the damaged COA but it is between two glass plates and when I try to scan it I get nothing but a reflection of light. This COA date was from Dec 76 I can only make out the month and year on it.

Once again these items are not for sale even if the 1500.00 was placed.
I would refund the money
With the exception of my Patterson Gimlin display case this is my favorite.

pisgah_hiker
Paranormal Collector

Post by pisgah_hiker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:02 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:I found the ebay link -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amityville-horr ... 232560cdbe

How do you know the items were used by the DeFeo's as well as the Lutzes?

Honestly I can't confirm the lutz family used these. All that can be confirmed is that they were sold at the estate sale.
That means they were on the property at the time the lutz family was in the home. They could have been in a box in the basement or they could have been in the kitchen. I figure the Lutz family might have had there own kitchen furnishings.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:45 am

I don't believe there was an estate sale in August of 1976. Kaplan's book dates the sale as being on April 10th, and George said he and his family arrived in San Diego around Mother's Day of 1976.

I'm always very cynical when it comes to items like this. There is no way of knowing if the items really come from the house or not. And certificates of authenticity aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

pisgah_hiker
Paranormal Collector

Post by pisgah_hiker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:28 pm

One would assume and you know what assuming does.....

I have been involved in real estate for 15 years. All the homes that I have seen have estate sales because of death the majority of the earning go to the bank to pay toward the balance of the loan. I'm not sure how it would work if you owed the bank for the deed of you home and left it saying it was haunted. One would assume the bank would not just give property away. Does anyone know the name of the auction company that did the sale?
I would assume the same thing happened here. The Lutz family was still the owners of the property until the end of August when the bank became the owner.

I have issues with anything Mr Kaplan has ever said. I tend to lean more toward beleiving the Lutz family and the Warrens.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:48 pm

pisgah_hiker wrote:I have issues with anything Mr Kaplan has ever said. I tend to lean more toward beleiving the Lutz family and the Warrens.
This time though, the date of the auction matches when Lutz and Kaplan both said it did...

AmityPhotos
Amityville Addict

Post by AmityPhotos » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:50 pm

pisgah_hiker wrote:Danvers lunatic asylum
I have a lot of stuff from that place, Greatest place I've ever been in.

http://bit.ly/UAjfvX
www.AmityPhotos.com

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:47 am

Impressive display!
I wonder if there are others out there who still have items
From the '76 sale too.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:28 am

Didn't George buy some stuff (besides the beds and bedframes) from the DeFeo Estate? Could be that both the Lutzs and DeFeo owned this. I doubt there would been anything left in the house of the DeFeos after the Lutz's moved in. Usually every item in an estate is accounted for and is part of the estate. I also doubt there would be any personal items left in the house by the real estate agents.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:45 pm

Victoria Principles wrote:Didn't George buy some stuff (besides the beds and bedframes) from the DeFeo Estate? Could be that both the Lutzs and DeFeo owned this.
It's possible, but how would the buyer know this?

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:26 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Victoria Principles wrote:Didn't George buy some stuff (besides the beds and bedframes) from the DeFeo Estate? Could be that both the Lutzs and DeFeo owned this.
It's possible, but how would the buyer know this?
The only way to know it is if there was a statement from George and a DeFeo family representative verifying it.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:53 am

I barely remember what my silverware looks like now as opposed to 30 or 40 years ago. And even if I did recognize my silverware, there's no telling whether it was the same set coming from that specific house or another set from somewhere else. It's not like the DeFeos had their silverware made exclusively for them. I'm sure they bought it from a store, and I'm sure thousands of people around the region or country bought the exact same set.

I really do think you people are getting ripped off. The odds are against any of this stuff being legitimate.

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:25 am

Dan the Damned wrote:I barely remember what my silverware looks like now as opposed to 30 or 40 years ago. And even if I did recognize my silverware, there's no telling whether it was the same set coming from that specific house or another set from somewhere else. It's not like the DeFeos had their silverware made exclusively for them. I'm sure they bought it from a store, and I'm sure thousands of people around the region or country bought the exact same set.

I really do think you people are getting ripped off. The odds are against any of this stuff being legitimate.

From what I gathered about the DeFeos, I wouldn't be surprised the silverware was exclusively made for them.

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:03 pm

Edited to add if the DeFeos had personal family oil portraits done for them, a TV in every room, other thing in the house most families didn't have at the time, they probably could have had custom made silverware at the time.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:00 pm

The fork and spoon pictured above doesn't look all that special.

High Hopes
High Hopes on Ocean Avenue

Post by High Hopes » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:58 pm

From what I gather, if the DeFeo's had their silverware custom made, wouldn't it have a "D" or DeFeo engraved on to them? I stand behind what Dan stated. I know far to well on how easy it can be to loose a large sum of money on an item that has been claim to have been linked to the DeFeo family. Luckily I recieved my money back, but the real question I had to ask myself was, "Why did I really want any of their items in the first place?" luckily I learned my lesson an have no use for buying or collecting anything that once belong to any of the family. I have my books rut came from the house an they can be seen in the picuters when the house went up for sale, plus many pictures of them with the house itself. I like the house, an have lots of interest in it itself. No so much in the families including the DeFeo's & Lutz family that lived there.
"The wheel locked" I'd blame Detorit, a lot faster than I would the Devil!