Amityville Models/Dollhouses

For Discussion Of Amityville Photographs
Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

Re: Amityville Models/Dollhouses

Post by Amity108 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:18 am

Yes it will be interesting. I remember you saying that you liked the wallpaper in Dawns room and so that is what gave me the idea. I was looking through the crime scene photos to see what I would need to do her wallpaper and just out of nowhere, I wanted to do Allisons room too. Her room will be done next after the first floor is complete.

So heres an update on the progress. Finished the 2 crystal wall sconces. The one on the back wall ( the removable back ) will be a fake sconce ( non working ).

This is the sconce on the 1979 set.

This is what I came up with.

Lights on...

Now working on the rest of the windows for the back.

Image[

All window openings are cut out. In the process of resizing the windows to fit the openings.

With the layout of the houses interior on the set and with the window placement on the actual house, its going to look a little strange on the inside as far as where the windows go...just in the foyer and 2nd level.

I now have 1 of several balls and the last one that Amityphotos was willing to let go, which were purchased from the 2010 tag sale at the real house on Ocean Ave. The balls were in a basket sitting on a glass top table in the sunporch of the real house. This ball is the odd one of the bunch which has dragonflies all around rather than bees ( which look like flies ) that the rest of them have. I have placed this in the sunporch of the model here. I have yet to create a base for it for if I either leave it in here or in a curio.

A lot of flies, a lot of mud...a lot of everything in there. If I were you, I'd stay out of there!

antny000
Amityville Addict

Post by antny000 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:08 pm

That's great. How are you going to do the back doors for the first and second floor? Of course I had to settle on buying doors that look similar but not exact, but I'm sure you'll be doing something modified.

From what I remember from when I did my house, the doors I bought are quite similar, except there are 4 or 5 tiny windows right above the door, built into the frame.

I'm still searching from mullion sticks on line that I could buy, my house is pretty much complete except for the mullions on the sun porch windows and back doors.
Gonna go make me some Sugar Cookie Stew! Yum yum!

Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

Post by Amity108 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:13 pm

I'll be making the balcony and back doors from scratch. The inside doors are being made from scratch as well. The first one I've done so far is the foyer closet by the front door. The balcony door on the 2nd floor will have to wait until I finish the first floor to see exactly where the threshold will rest.

Mullion sticks are a dime a dozen in a hobby store like Michaels or AC Moore.
A lot of flies, a lot of mud...a lot of everything in there. If I were you, I'd stay out of there!

antny000
Amityville Addict

Post by antny000 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:56 am

I'll have to check AC Moore... I haven't been there in a while but last time I was there they didn't have much of a dollhouse selection lol

Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

Post by Amity108 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:52 am

antny000 wrote:I'll have to check AC Moore... I haven't been there in a while but last time I was there they didn't have much of a dollhouse selection lol
Just ask for where the basswood is. The case should have different sizes of sheets and sticks. Most likely won't be in the dollhouse section.

Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

Post by Amity108 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:57 pm

Also, keep in mind, 95% of the materials I have used to build this house have come from ideas around the store. Only thing I have ever used coming from a dollhouse section was the windows, front door, french doors, a few lights and hinges from years ago. This time around, I havent even looked at the dollhouse section unless I ordered online or have gone to that miniature shop 3 months ago but even then I havent put much "dollhouse" materials in this house. Walk around the store a bit, gather some ideas and you'll make it happen.

antny000
Amityville Addict

Post by antny000 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:42 am

Thanks!

I do things like that all of the time... like for the mullions I already did on the rest of the house, I used wood match sticks, which I think worked well. Unfortunately those won't work on the sun porch windows though, but I'll have to keep an eye out for some of the basswood sticks like you used.

Koukol
Amityville Member

Post by Koukol » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:52 pm

really good job !! :clap:

Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

Post by Amity108 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:00 am

Koukol wrote:really good job !! :clap:
Thank you! :)

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:18 pm

Thanks for the photos, always fun to see your progress. :)

I have one of those balls, they're neat. Mine is one with bees. Which is cool for me because I'm into bees, the whole saving the bees thing.:D I keep mine in the china cabinet.

Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

Post by Amity108 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Brooke Forrester wrote:Thanks for the photos, always fun to see your progress. :)

I have one of those balls, they're neat. Mine is one with bees. Which is cool for me because I'm into bees, the whole saving the bees thing.:D I keep mine in the china cabinet.
Sure thing Brooke and thank you!

I have the only ball out of the bunch that has dragonflies. I really like the ones with the bees and would have been really cool because they look like flies but I also like the one I have because it is unique from the rest. I took mine out of the house and put it in one of my curios. Can see it better in the curio.

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:40 pm

You're welcome. :)

That is pretty cool that you have one that's different from the rest. You can't see my ball too well where I put it. I won't tell my niece I have it, she's still scared of the Amityville story. She also hates insects, so she wouldn't like the ball anyway. :D

Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

Post by Amity108 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:21 pm

Brooke Forrester wrote:You're welcome. :)

That is pretty cool that you have one that's different from the rest. You can't see my ball too well where I put it. I won't tell my niece I have it, she's still scared of the Amityville story. She also hates insects, so she wouldn't like the ball anyway. :D
I havent told anyone that I have mine. I would freak someone out. lol

Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

Post by Amity108 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:32 pm

Update on the kitchen....

Back door has been made and now in frame. Just a little more paint on the jambs and trim then its done.

Through the door though still not done yet but its getting there! Trim around the doorways and then crown molding then I'll call it quits for the kitchen for a while. Cabinets will have to be made but they will be on hold.

I think looking into the kitchen from this angle makes it look real. I'm guessing its the lighting that makes it look that way.

Image[

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:32 am

Anyone want to reproduce this in Ronnie's room? ;)

http://mizsilverthorn.typepad.com/miz_s ... -find.html

Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

Post by Amity108 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:36 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:Anyone want to reproduce this in Ronnie's room? ;)

http://mizsilverthorn.typepad.com/miz_s ... -find.html
Thanks sherb! I was thinking about that but really dislike the polka dot wallpaper he had with it however, If I go to do the real house version, I'll have to do it. lol I looked at that and also have this copy but I'm missing a section from the wallpaper. :think: I'll come across a full page somewhere down the line but I have time.

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:30 pm

I always thought Ronnie's room was a weird choice for the Lutz boys because of the couple of racy images on the wallpaper. Marc and John's room would have been more appropriate for young boys. I wonder if Chris and Danny chose that room or their parents did. If it was the former, maybe they preferred it for the fan windows.

Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

Post by Amity108 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:17 pm

Well recently I've been pushing hard to get more and more done to this project and nearly succeeded on getting the first floor done. Still have some minor things to do on the first level but can wait. I have enough done now to where I can start working on the second floor. My last thing to do, and pretty much has me on a halt from getting the livingroom complete is the canister lights in the ceiling. I figured I'd try using small chip LED lights rather than the LED bulb (which is what I had been using). Needless to say, I'll never be getting them again! I went and ordered 5 bulbs so I can replace them and will set me back a few days. :( After about a minute after turning them on, 1 starts to flicker then go out and stay out. If they have been off for a while, it will come back on then flicker out again. I can't really hammer down to work on the second floor like I want to until I can fix this issue and replace those bulbs.
All ranting aside, here's some photos of the progress so far...

The kitchen is done for now with only cabinets left to go in there. Fridge is only where its shown temporarily until I put in cabinets. The cabinets will be mahogany and handmade.

Image[

Ceiling in the foyer is now permanently in place. The cellar door and the door into the LR will be done but will hold off for a while until I get some of the second floor underway.

Livingroom

Canister lights all on....

The far light just went out and guess because it is heating up.

Now starting to work on one of the bedrooms. Most of you know the wallpaper being used for this one. Took a long time to clear up and edit this one but turned out awesome in the end.

Closeup of the detail

Image[

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Post by Brooke Forrester » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:35 pm

That wallpaper looks great! I :clap:

antny000
Amityville Addict

Post by antny000 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:59 pm

I'm sitting here shaking my head at how good this is... it's coming out so well!

Amity108
Tomsamityville River rat

Post by Amity108 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:51 am

Brooke Forrester wrote:That wallpaper looks great! I :clap:
Thank you Brooke! Allisons wallpaper wasnt easy getting only from a slight angle out of one of the photos. This was a sample that was taken from between her desk and dresser and then expanded to make it like you see it.