Amityville 4 & 1992 Movie Houses

For Discussion Of Amityville Photographs
antny000
Amityville Addict

Amityville 4 & 1992 Movie Houses

Post by antny000 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:30 pm

Does anyone know anything about the "Amityville" house used in the opening of the movie for Amityville 4: The Evil Escapes?

I know the house from the rest of the movie takes place in California but the house really is in California. It's funny because they added a fake roof and windows to make it "look like" the Amityville house.

If you click "Satellite" and Zoom In, you can see a top view of the house.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&rlz ... a=N&tab=wl
11840 W Telegraph Rd
Santa Paula, CA 93060, USA

The house appeared in a movie called "The Black Gate", where again, it's haunted, but the "roof" isn't there.

It's also not there in this satellite photo I came across.
Gonna go make me some Sugar Cookie Stew! Yum yum!

Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Re: Amityville 4 Movie Houses

Post by Brooke Forrester » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:47 am

Cool pictures, thanks!

csullivan
Amityville Maniac

Post by csullivan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:37 pm

antny000 wrote:Does anyone know anything about the "Amityville" house used in the opening of the movie for Amityville 4: The Evil Escapes?
is this what you are looking for...i was not sure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-_UthFN ... re=related

antny000
Amityville Addict

Post by antny000 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:55 pm

Yeah that is the house... does anyone know anything about where it's located? I know Amityville 4 was a low budget TV film, so I would assume it was filmed not too far from the house they used for the rest of the movie...

Fr Dennis Kibbler
That evil is searching for souls

Post by Fr Dennis Kibbler » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:01 pm

The exteriors of that house was also used in the movie How To Make An American Quilt from 1995.

The interiors that were used in Amityville 4 were also used in The Gacy House which came out a year or two ago. You can tell it is the same kitchen, dining room and staircase. Whether it was a set that was re-used or an actual house they filmed in, I don't know.

The house does not back out onto the ocean, instead it backs out onto the Santa Paula Freeway.

In regards to the house used that is supposed to be the one in Amityville, the one used in my avatar, we can't figure out where it is - if it is in fact a real house and not a set or model of some sort. The same shot of the house used in the opening in part 4 is re-used briefly in A New Generation and 1992.
"You told me the house was saved now."

antny000
Amityville Addict

Post by antny000 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:15 pm

Awesome photos... I forgot it was used in that American Quilt movie... I remember reading somewhere that it was.

I think that house from Amityville 4, the "Amityville" one, is an actual house. It doesn't look CGI'ed or anything... and the way they did some of the shots, it wasn't like a trick photopgraphy shot where they do a "shot of the model house" and then a "shot of the yard sale" and edit them together to look like they are in the same place... they show a shot of the house and it pans down to the yard sale... you can actually see another house in the back ground that has the "Amityville windows" and chimney and I think the same roof too.

There's houses like that all over my area... I love it lol here's at least 4 I can think of within a mile of me that I drive by frequently.

Fr Dennis Kibbler

Post by Fr Dennis Kibbler » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:42 am

I think something similar to what happened with the Tom's River house happened with this house - some doctoring of the facade.

- On the left side you can see the soffits on the front and side of the house don't align.
- To the right of the quarter-moon window you can see a seam of some sort.
- The glass in the windows appear to be reflective mirrors.

If you look very closely to the left of the house in the background there is another similar-looking Dutch Colonial with the gambrel roof and windows, but with a steeper roof pitch.

Fr Dennis Kibbler

Post by Fr Dennis Kibbler » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:56 pm

Here is what I was able to uncover about the Amityville 4 locations:
Hi Marty,

The old Victorian house is out in Santa Paula in an orange grove area off HWY 126 past Fillmore, CA.The interior of that house we filmed in Altadena, CA
The replica of the original Amityville House was construction facade added onto a house with a similar design to the original I found in Wilmington, CA. We filmed the interior of that house as well.
Long time ago, so i don't have exact addresses anymore.

Hope that is of help!!
Good luck,

~~ Steve

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:02 pm

Wow, who did you speak to?

Fr Dennis Kibbler

Post by Fr Dennis Kibbler » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:26 pm

Steve Housewright, location manager for the movie.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Cool. And his name suits the job!

antny000
Amityville Addict

Post by antny000 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:20 pm

Awesome! I've never been able to find ANY info on the houses. A few months ago I came across the photos and address of the "California" house on the IMDB message board. But no one's been able to find anything on the "Amityville" house though.

Awesome to know all of that info. I mean I knew about the 1-3 house, but I always wondered about the 4 house. I knew it wasn't the Toms River house, so I always wondered where they filmed those scenes, if the house looked like that or if it was a facade, and also if they used the inside or a set... and you just answered all of those is one shot.

I wonder if there's anyone out there who lived in the area who might have some pictures of the transformation... that would be awesome!

Monday I plan on taking pictures of 3 houses right near me that I pass on my way to work and home from work... I'll have to put them up on here... I also want to do a video mix of my Amityville model, and try to mix it in with shots of the house from the movies...

antny000
Amityville Addict

Repost: Amityville 4 Movie Houses

Post by antny000 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:06 am

Had to re-upload the photos:

If you click "Satellite" and Zoom In, you can see a top view of the house.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&rlz ... a=N&tab=wl
11840 W Telegraph Rd
Santa Paula, CA 93060, USA

The house appeared in a movie called "The Black Gate", where again, it's haunted, but the "roof" isn't there.

It's also not there in this satellite photo I came across.

Fr Dennis Kibbler

Post by Fr Dennis Kibbler » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:18 pm

Other houses and buildings that appear in this movie:

The back of the house

The Hospital

The School, featured in other movies and TV shows like Boy Meets Word, is John Marshall High School, 3939 Tracy Street, Los Angeles, CA.

Aunt Helen's house, set in Amityville

antny000
Amityville Addict

Post by antny000 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:00 am

It's funny, I was just watching 4 the other night and after reading this post, I asked myself... "I wonder what house was used for the back of the house"... since the house they used clearly isn't near water.

Out of all of the places used in the movie though, I'd like to visit the house they used as the "Amityville" house, see what it looks like without the facade.

AmityPhotos
Amityville Addict

Post by AmityPhotos » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:10 am

That was the first time I've seen the beginning of 4 since it probably was released on video. The house used in the movie is a beautiful house, BUT if you are going to go through making a facade of the movie house- why not just use that for the film? They even had an interior, doesn't make sense to me. If they had a super low budget and had to use an existing house, I would understand, but they did both. People might question the continuity from 3D, but that's nothing for a horror series.
www.AmityPhotos.com

antny000
Amityville Addict

Post by antny000 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:31 am

Well I would guess a few reasons:

As far as continuity would go, the book "Amityville: The Evil Escapes" actually takes place after the Lutz's left. So it would actually take place before 3D. The actual order of the movies to the best of my knowledge would be:

Amityville II: The Possession
The Amityville Horror
Amityville 4: The Evil Escapes
Amityville: 3D

They used the idea from the book that the evil would "move on" to another place, by going "into objects" that are sold at auction. There's no stories about the lamp, mirror, clock, or dollhouse in the book. But the general ideas for those movies came from the book "Amityville: The Evil Escapes".

So that's why they only used it for the opening scenes. Also, after 3 movies with the "house" they probably wanted to do something different this time. 4 was the first one I'd seen late night on NBC, my mom t old me about the first one and I currently own every movie on DVD, even the horrible "The Amityville Curse".

It's too bad because they finally used the "house" again in the remake, except it looked nothing like it should have in the remake, so that was a total let down.

AmityPhotos
Amityville Addict

Post by AmityPhotos » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:39 am

I think I hold a grudge with all the movies after '3d'. Back in the late 80s, I loved the house and the haunting aspect (though that changed to being more interested in the murders as I got older). With many of the movies after the trilogy, I would see months in advance in the video store catalogs- coming soon- Amityville: Blah Blah Blah. And you'd be lucky to get a picture- almost always the misleading photo of the 'movie house'. Remember there was no internet to turn to (at least in its modern form). So I would count down the days and then be left terribly disappointed. No matter how many times this happened, I still watched every one - once.
www.AmityPhotos.com

antny000
Amityville Addict

Post by antny000 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:53 am

After Amityville 3D, I liked and disliked half of the 6 movies that have come out since:

I liked:
Amityville 4: The Evil Escapes
Amityville 1992: It's About Time
Amityville Dollhouse

I could have done without:
The Amityville Curse
Amityville: A New Generation
The Amityville Horror (remake)

I was so dissapointed in the house they used for the remake, and then on top of that, it might as well been a whole other movie because almost nothing in that movie happened in the book or original movie.

The Amityville Curse was the same kind of situation... the house looked NOTHING like the Amityville house and on top of that, the acting was atrocious and the story was badly developed.

AmityPhotos
Amityville Addict

Post by AmityPhotos » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:01 pm

I remember renting 'the curse' when it first came out. And I literally remember nothing about it - I'm going to go and look up the plot now, just because I'm curious.

The remake, I saw in the theater and I think I just shook my head back and forth in disappointment the whole time. I almost watched it again a couple of months ago after I met Melissa George, just because she was so nice.
www.AmityPhotos.com

antny000
Amityville Addict

Post by antny000 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:32 pm

The Amityville Curse is supposed to be based on a book by Hans Holzer. I've never read the book, so I'm not sure what the book has to do with the movie.

A priest gets shot in his confessional by an unkown person. The confessional gets moved to the basement of the "Amityville" house. Years later a bunch of yuppies buy the house to fix it up and invest in renting it... the main girl has "psychic" visions and tries to figure out what her dreams are telling her.

I'm not even sure why I own the DVD... I never even watch it lol I guess just because it's "part of the collection".