Haunted Farmhouse, Newtown, CT

For Discussion Of Amityville Photographs

Haunted Farmhouse, Newtown, CT

Postby evanguy2004 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:02 am

Hi everyone!

I thought I would share with you a very locally famous haunted farmhouse that is located in Newtown, CT. just down the road from the legendary abandon Fairfield Hills Mental Institute and of course just up the road into the next town from Lorraine Warren. I've passed this house for many years and it always captures my attention. For those in the area it is located just off Rt. 34 in Newtown, CT (Just a stones throw from the Monroe, CT town line). It is an old abandon farmhouse that some say is real haunted. It would appear that someone still comes out to cut the grass in front of the house from time to time but the house itself is very old and scary looking. Kids of course have broken into this house many times and broke windows and spray painted grafetti on the inside of the house. One year it looked like someone spray painted red paint on the inside of the upstair windows that looked like blood! What also strikes me is that no one has ever boarded up all the windows like they do in most abandon homes. My guess is that this house was built in the early 1800's Enjoy the pictures below!

evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Postby BillyCigars » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:15 am

Evanguy, do you happen to know the address of that house? It'd be interesting to find out how old it really is.
"The old man's still an artist with a Thompson."
BillyCigars
American Psycho

Postby Chichibcc » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:03 pm

I don't understand how no one, in all these years, has bothered to board-up the place....

I guess people in Newtown are more afraid of that house than I first thought, if the town couldn't get anyone to go to the house and put boards on the windows for safety reasons and to keep out the kids/gawkers.
Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Postby # 13 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:07 pm

Cool pics Evanguy

Thanks for sharing. I love stuff like that.
"Either the most complex and sophisticated hoax in the history of Anthropology has continued for centuries without being exposed or the most manlike and largest non human primate has managed to survive in parts of North America and remains undiscovered by modern science."
Prof G.W.Gill - President of the American Board of Forensic Anthropology
# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Postby evanguy2004 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:03 pm

BillyCigars wrote:Evanguy, do you happen to know the address of that house? It'd be interesting to find out how old it really is.

[color=violet[i]]I don't know the exact address only that it is literally on Rt. 34 across from Great Ring Road in Newtown, CT. The house has been abandon since I moved to Connecticut 12 years ago. I couldn't find an address on the place. I was driving around this morning and up on Great Ring Road. When I came to the intersection of Rt 34 and Great Ring Road I saw my most favorite abandon house. As a treat to the boards I pulled out my digital phone, pulled over from the road right onto the property, put on my hazard flashers and took two pics of this old farm house. I have rubber necked looking at this house for years. Rt 34 is a 50 mile per hour road and I'm always going too fast to see all the cool features of this house. I love old homes like this too. I always have for some reason ever since I was a little boy. I think about who lived there at one time and how life must have been like in those days. It sits on an old abandon farm with an old barn and buildings in back. It had to be a big farm in its day.[/i][/color]
evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Postby evanguy2004 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:08 pm

chichibcc wrote:I don't understand how no one, in all these years, has bothered to board-up the place....

I guess people in Newtown are more afraid of that house than I first thought, if the town couldn't get anyone to go to the house and put boards on the windows for safety reasons and to keep out the kids/gawkers.

I agree Chich I would have thought someone would have boarded up the place. Its pretty cool however you can walk right up to the house and look in the windows without the boards up. (Not that I have done this but you could if you wanted to) As I mentioned someone still cuts the grass so I would suspect someone is still close enough to keep an eye on the house. However as you can see from the pictures it has been vandalized and you can see the downstairs window was completely shattered with now a board up and the upstairs window near the center looks like someone threw a rock threw the window.
evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Postby Chichibcc » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:36 pm

I wonder why the town just doesn't have the house torn down? I know it wouldn't cost ANYWHERE near what it would cost to tear down the old institution that's in the same area. Or is the house such a local "landmark" that that option just hasn't been seriously considered?
Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Postby eber3 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:07 pm

I don't understand why the owners are letting it sit there and rot. Looks like it is a very nice house, and not yet beyond salvaging. If I had the cash I'd love to buy and fix up a place like that. A real nice restore and that house could be a gem.
eber3
complete jackass

Postby mirandrox » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:30 pm

thats awesome i bet that house was beautiful when people actually took care of it
Why? when people witness magic, they'll ignore it and say it never happened
Only thing they'll beleive is whats tragic, god throws and nobody wanna catch it...
mirandrox
Amityville Member

Postby evanguy2004 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:29 pm

I agree you wonder what finally happens where people just leave a house to rot? I guess death has something to do with it and other family members who have no interest in saving the house. The property this house sits on is primo right in a prime location on Rt. 34 in Newtown, CT which is a wealthy town. To Chich's point, I don't know if this house is a historic home but my guess it must be. Connecticut is full of historic homes from the 1700's to early 1800's that are protected by laws from being torn down and even modified beyond the original specifications. In Monroe, CT, I live just outside the historic section of the town where there are homes and churchs that have historic plaques on them dating back to the early 1700's!! The Revolutionary Soldiers rested on our Town Green prior to fighting the famous battle of Danbury, CT. You just don't go to the Home Depot to do repairs and buy materials.
evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Postby Chichibcc » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:09 am

eber3 wrote:I don't understand why the owners are letting it sit there and rot. Looks like it is a very nice house, and not yet beyond salvaging. If I had the cash I'd love to buy and fix up a place like that. A real nice restore and that house could be a gem.

I agree..the house looks like it's in pretty rough shape, but I don't think it has completely gone beyond the restoration point...if there were people interested enough and who had enough cash to take on the job. Restoring old houses like this can be VERY expensive and require a lot of dedication and committment, as I've learned from watching shows like "This Old House" and other home restoration/renovation shows on HGTV (Home and Garden Network).
Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Postby evanguy2004 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:22 am

I wonder how much damage the kids to the inside of the house over the years by breaking into the place? Without boarding up the place as you can see it would be very easy for kids to break into the place who have nothing to do at night and do some serious damage. You can't really see it now but there was one point I drove by the house and you could see red spray paint on the inside of the windows on the top floor. That was several years ago and either someone cleaned it off or it just faded.

I'm sure all that kind of stuff can be fixed if you knew what you were doing. That would be very cool to see this house one day come back to life!! I will be sure to keep you all posted if I see any positive signs here.
evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Postby fairlyodd_58 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:57 pm

That's a nice little fixer-upper.
fairlyodd_58
Earthbender

Postby evanguy2004 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:38 pm

If you are handy with a hammer and saw I guess you're right. I love old homes. You just don't find this type of structure on the new homes. They all tend to be cookie cutter Home Depot specials.
evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Postby alisha22 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:39 am

I like the pic!..
alisha22
**ACCOUNT ON HOLD**

Postby evanguy2004 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:56 pm

alisha22 wrote:I like the pic!..

Thanks very much for the kind words. Again I have been driving by this house for years each time sneaking a peek of it as I drove past the house at about 45-50 miles per hour. It is located on Rt. 34 in Newtown which is a very busy street. I decided last Sunday to take some pics and share it up with my friends
evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Postby LilJuicedCoupe » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:41 am

Cool looking house. It looks like it has two holes in the roof whitch would indicate a damaged interior. Its a shame but most likely who ever buys the land will level the house and start over.
LilJuicedCoupe
Kats 12 inch hotrodder

Postby Dan the Damned » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:48 am

Yeah, with the holes in the roof. So rain would have gotten in and its probably got a big mold problem.

I bet parents spread rumors of abandoned houses being haunted to scare their kids from entering...
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby dnddad324 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:02 pm

LilJuicedCoupe wrote:Cool looking house. It looks like it has two holes in the roof whitch would indicate a damaged interior. Its a shame but most likely who ever buys the land will level the house and start over.

The two holes actually appear to be former chimneys. It seems that they may have collapsed.
dnddad324
Tedbot is my Canadian beer whore

Return to Amityville Photographs