I just got the windows from the 2005 Amityville Horror!

For Discussion Of Amityville Photographs

I just got the windows from the 2005 Amityville Horror!

Postby Amity Windows » Thu May 11, 2017 8:58 pm

I am very excited to say that I managed to get the quarter round windows from the house where they shot the 2005 Amityville Horror movie with Ryan Reynolds! I have lived near that house since the movie was made and after they removed the windows from the house I always wondered what happened to them.

Last week there was an estate sale at the house and I asked the owners what happened to the windows. I was amazed to find out the were in the attic of the house. They cut the windows from the movie facade and kept them in large pieces of wall. On the inside the windows are very nice and have the wallpaper from the movie. On the outside they have peeling movie paint.

I also bought some large pillars from the house.

Amity Windows
Amityville Member

Re: I just got the windows from the 2005 Amityville Horror!

Postby sherbetbizarre » Fri May 12, 2017 3:11 am

Hey, well done.

Amazing they kept all that stuff for ten years - thanks for posting!
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby Amity Windows » Fri May 12, 2017 11:14 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:Hey, well done.

Amazing they kept all that stuff for ten years - thanks for posting!

Thanks! The owners of the house have had it in their family for over 100 years. They put no special value on the items associated with the movie. They sold a bed that Ryan Reynolds had shot a scene in for $70.00. It was their family home for 4 generations and they don't like the fact that their mansion is now associated with horror. At one time it was the Jefferson Ice company. It even has it's own bowling alley! The house is historical on it's own without the movie.

They have a few items left. I still have porch pillars I can't use because I ran out of space, so those will be sold.
I was fortunate enough to attend an estate sale at the Wisconsin mansion where they filmed the 2005 Amityville Horror movie. The iconic "eye" quarter-round windows were still in the attic and I bought them!
Amity Windows
Amityville Member

Postby Amity Windows » Fri May 12, 2017 11:18 am

This is a photo of the windows now that they are in my basement. Remember that the old peeling paint is all movie paint. They are really in great shape. All of the glass is good with no cracks.

I was fortunate enough to attend an estate sale at the Wisconsin mansion where they filmed the 2005 Amityville Horror movie. The iconic "eye" quarter-round windows were still in the attic and I bought them!
Amity Windows
Amityville Member

Postby kathyM » Fri May 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Very cool! 8-)
kathyM
Princess

Postby Amity Windows » Fri May 12, 2017 11:22 pm

kathyM wrote:Very cool! 8-)

Thanks!
Amity Windows
Amityville Member

Postby kudzu » Mon May 15, 2017 8:11 am

That's so cool. What do you plan to do with them?
kudzu
Amityville Addict

Postby Amity Windows » Mon May 15, 2017 10:12 am

kudzu wrote:That's so cool. What do you plan to do with them?

I was planning to build them into a wall in our basement that we use as a theater. I was going to install back lighting so they had a faint reddish glow coming through them. The only problem is that the walls they are in have 2 very different but interesting side to them and you would only see one side. The outside has the creepy peeling movie paint, while the inside has the movie wall paper. Plus I feel like other people should have a chance to see them too. We live in the same town where this movie was filmed. So right now I'm not sure what to do with them.
Amity Windows
Amityville Member

Postby BooshaGirl » Tue May 16, 2017 10:14 am

That is INCREDIBLE! Please post photos when you have them installed.
BooshaGirl
Amityville Addict

Postby Amity Windows » Tue May 16, 2017 11:15 am

BooshaGirl wrote:That is INCREDIBLE! Please post photos when you have them installed.

Thanks, I will definitely post the pictures. I bought two pillars from the house that I planned to display on each side of the windows, however the wall where they will most likely be going isn't big enough, so I will be selling the wooden pillars.

Thanks for commenting, it seems like there are a lot of great people on here!
Amity Windows
Amityville Member

Postby Ayko » Tue May 16, 2017 11:39 am

What a nice catch! I would of grabbed them too. You're a lucky one with that.
Ayko
Amityville Addict

Postby Amity Windows » Tue May 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Ayko wrote:What a nice catch! I would of grabbed them too. You're a lucky one with that.

Thanks! I live a few blocks away from the house where they shot the movie and they left the Amityville facade on it for at least a year after they filmed the movie, because they were considering using it again. Then one day the facade was gone. 10 years went by and the house was usually vacant. I always wondered what they did to those windows, I figured that someone would have wanted them.

Then I happened to be driving by and saw the estate sale. I bought two tall wooden pillars from the structure, and decided to ask about the windows since I didn't see them at the sale. They told me the windows were still in the attic and not on display, which was weird because they were for sale but no one could see that they were still there. I went upstairs and saw that they were still mounted in the movie walls with siding on the outside and wallpaper on the inside, and not just plain windows. I was in total shock when they said they only wanted $300 each! I bought them with no hesitation.

I almost didn't even ask about the windows since they weren't on display at the sale. It pays to ask!
Amity Windows
Amityville Member

Postby Ayko » Tue May 16, 2017 7:24 pm

Are you planning to restore them and/or display them some place??
Ayko
Amityville Addict

Postby Amity Windows » Tue May 16, 2017 10:54 pm

Ayko wrote:Are you planning to restore them and/or display them some place??

Thanks for your message! I won't do any restoration to them because this is the way the movie company wanted them to look. They are supposed to look old and worn. They really are in much better condition than they appear. They purposely put peeling paint on them and made them look weathered. On the inside the windows are nice looking. Items like these can lose their value if people restore them.

I would like to display them at some point, but I am not exactly sure how or where to do it since both sides should be seen. I thought about making a wall for them in my basement and having red lights glow behind them.
Amity Windows
Amityville Member

Postby Crash » Sat May 20, 2017 10:26 am

I would build square wood box frame around each and hang them like paintings,put some LED light strips (color change ones with a remote) on the back of each. Cheap to do and they would look great.
Amityville '76 game development - https://www.facebook.com/AmityvilleGame/
Crash
Amityville Member

Postby Amity Windows » Sat May 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Crash wrote:I would build square wood box frame around each and hang them like paintings,put some LED light strips (color change ones with a remote) on the back of each. Cheap to do and they would look great.

Thanks for the idea, that does sound like it would look great. Their size and weight make an interesting challenge. With the wall sections they are still mounted in they are 6 feet tall and pretty heavy. Both sides are very interesting because the insides are nice and have the wall paper from the bedroom where "Jody" and the Lutz daughter slept in the movie. The outsides are the scary old siding with peeling paint.
Amity Windows
Amityville Member

Postby Brooke Forrester » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:15 pm

Very cool! I like that wallpaper pattern.
Brooke Forrester
Amityville Addict

Postby Amity Windows » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:14 pm

Brooke Forrester wrote:Very cool! I like that wallpaper pattern.

Thanks Brooke! It's a retro look for sure.
Amity Windows
Amityville Member

Return to Amityville Photographs