RIP Michael Winner (1935 - 2013)

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
Brendan72
Forest Giant

RIP Michael Winner (1935 - 2013)

Post by Brendan72 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:46 am

Film director and newspaper columnist Michael Winner has died, aged 77, his wife Geraldine has confirmed.
Born in Hampstead, London in 1935, he directed more than 30 films, including Death Wish and Scorpio.
SOURCE: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21123532
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Re: RIP Michael Winner (1935 - 2013)

Post by Matt9290 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:41 am

Michael got a lot of stick in the UK, but I have to say I liked him and his work. He had an interesting way of playing with the equilibrium of his movies, which made many viewers feel uncomfortable while others cheered for the underdog and hero/anti-heroes (such as Charles Bronson).

One of the most memorable shows I saw him take part in a live TV discussion about the influences of movies on the public (way back in the late 1980’s).
On the show they had John Sutcliffe the father of Peter Sutcliffe (AKA the serial killer The Yorkshire Ripper), who was badgering him and accusing movie makers like Winner for influencing his son’s actions etc… But Winner stood his ground and gave as good as he got.
I think it became obvious to anyone watching the show (with half a brain) that Sutcliffe was looking for a scapegoat to try and blame for his sons actions. However, I was not at all surprised to later discover that John Sutcliffe was a utterly terrible father, and his son blamed him for much of his behaviour!

Michael Winner, one of the UK’s must underrated Directors - his work will live on.
I wish I had the nerve not to tip...