Higgs Boson..."God Particle"

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
Simon
formerly Just Simon

Higgs Boson..."God Particle"

Post by Simon » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:42 pm

Ok...so the world (well the science world) is generally abuzz with the discovery of the Higgs Bosun particle...basically the "thing" that holds the Universe together, fantastic, but what does that mean to us mere mortals?

Are we going to see giant leaps forward in medicine...new energy sources...new propulsion systems?

I am interested in the thoughts of others that are far more knowledgeable than me on matters of physics.

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Re: Higgs Boson..."God Particle"

Post by Brendan72 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:35 am

It may not give us nothing of real value but a few funny lines on Big Bang Theory.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

radiomixer
Billy's Next Ex-Wife

Post by radiomixer » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:21 am

Simon wrote:Ok...so the world (well the science world) is generally abuzz with the discovery of the Higgs Bosun particle...basically the "thing" that holds the Universe together, fantastic, but what does that mean to us mere mortals?

Are we going to see giant leaps forward in medicine...new energy sources...new propulsion systems?

I am interested in the thoughts of others that are far more knowledgeable than me on matters of physics.
I'm very interested in it, for a multitude of reasons. And while it's technically under the physics 'umbrella,' it's actually a matter of -- believe it or not -- quantum mechanics.

Higgs-Boson is a misnomer. 'The Higgs boson' is more correct; a boson is a type of particle that allows multiple identical particles to exist in the same place in the same quantum state.

Now that alone should blow the mind. By strict definition, we just touched on a cornerstone of multiple alternate universes and/or realities. The other is why an electron cannot be captured on film in a static state, but we'll leave that aside for now.

Firstly, a small correction .. the Hb particle is not thought to hold the universe together; the Hb particle is a search to find a better mathematical answer as to why the "Big Bang" took place (and can elements of it be recreated, which is what bothers some people). The kicker is, there is no true proof a 'big bang' ever took place. This is what scientists in the most current day are theorizing, it's pretty hot news.

Many peeps think that's what CERN is about, and it's not. The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Geneva concerns a multitude of experiments, not just the Higgs boson.

We think we know what holds the universe together, and have long thought so: that would be a combo of matter and dark matter. However, this too is subject to cutting-edge data, as seen by the discovery last year by the Voyager space probe of a very interesting thing we didn't know existed: Space Fluff!

A brief explanation by Dr. Michio Kaku:
http://video.foxnews.com/v/3957569/space-fluff/

Another reason the Hb is such a stir goes back to the 'alternate universes' topic, and that's "M Theory," which evolved to current-day "String Theory." I'll spare you the fine details, but here is a basic difference: Those who supported M Theory passionately argue(d) that my 2nd & 3rd paragraphs actually lead to mathematical proof that there are ten alternate universes. More recently (and in larger numbers), supporters of String Theory believe, with even greater passion, that they've now successfully proven the number of alternative universes is precisely eleven.

A smaller group believe the former group's data is flawed, and that the number of alternate universes is actually indefinite.

And remember, most of these scientists don't argue or discuss these matters over years; these topics are championed over decades and lifetimes, in many cases.

If anyone heard the news a few days ago (or only saw the headlines), you may think they recently discovered the Higgs boson. And you'd be wrong.

"At present as of 2012, a particle has been detected but not yet tested fully to show if it is a Higgs boson."

What they think is that there are fields of Higgs bosons, and many different kinds of Hbs as well.

Confused yet?

And for the record yes, I've been a complete fan of The Big Bang Theory on CBS since it's first year.

FYI, the scientists REALLY don't like it to be called the "God particle," and it ranges from 'dislike' to outright hatred. (A lotta creationists are genuinely peeved by it too, naturally.) That term came about when Leon Lederman wrote a book on this topic in 1993 [The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?].

PS-- Simon I highly doubt I'm "more knowledgeable" than you -- you just happened to pick a topic area I'm keenly interested in :)
"I'm gonna tell you straight up. I didn't care who they blamed as long as it wasn't me. I mean, that's the bottom line. I did not care. I didn't care then and I don't care now." - Ronald DeFeo Jr. interview for "First Person Killers"

radiomixer
Billy's Next Ex-Wife

Post by radiomixer » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:34 am

BTW, Happy Belated Birthday, Simon!!!

"I'm gonna tell you straight up. I didn't care who they blamed as long as it wasn't me. I mean, that's the bottom line. I did not care. I didn't care then and I don't care now." - Ronald DeFeo Jr. interview for "First Person Killers"

radiomixer
Billy's Next Ex-Wife

Post by radiomixer » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:56 am

Far be it for me to tease any fellow posters ...

Image Image Image

... but then, I didn't start this thread ...

... and I thought anyone was free to answer, right?

I guess I was wrong?

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:53 am

LMFAO!!!!! those chicken graphics!!!!
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of
the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

radiomixer
Billy's Next Ex-Wife

Post by radiomixer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:15 pm

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:06 am

LMAO!!! Where do you find the chicken stuff??:)
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of

radiomixer
Billy's Next Ex-Wife

Post by radiomixer » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:31 pm

Howard64 wrote:LMAO!!! Where do you find the chicken stuff??:)
Ohh, all over the net. I blame Redsun24, who isn't around to defend himself :P
He and his cohort CatByNight got me into GIFs when I first came here, and I never got over it.

For those that might remember that particular episode of Seinfeld ... that last GIF is pretty damn funny :breakdance:

radiomixer
Billy's Next Ex-Wife

Post by radiomixer » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:05 pm

radiomixer
Billy's Next Ex-Wife

Post by radiomixer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:47 am

US, French physicists win Nobel for quantum work
Tuesday, October 9, 2012

STOCKHOLM (AP) — A French-American duo shared the 2012 Nobel Prize in physics Tuesday for experiments on quantum particles that have already resulted in ultra-precise clocks and may one day help lead to computers many times faster than those in use today.

Serge Haroche of France and American David Wineland showed in the 1990s how to observe individual particles while preserving their bizarre quantum properties, something that scientists had struggled to do before.

A quantum particle is one that is isolated from everything else. In this situation, an atom or electron or photon takes on strange properties. It can be in two places at once, for example. It behaves in some ways like a wave. But these properties are instantly changed when it interacts with something else, such as when somebody observes it.

[...]

"Their ground-breaking methods have enabled this field of research to take the very first steps towards building a new type of superfast computer based on quantum physics," the academy said. "The research has also led to the construction of extremely precise clocks that could become the future basis for a new standard of time."

[...]

"You can do things which are prohibited by the laws of classical physics," [Haroche] told The Associated Press.

Haroche also said quantum research could help make GPS navigating systems more accurate.

[...]

Christopher Monroe, who does similar work at the Joint Quantum Institute at the University of Maryland, said the awarding of the prize to the two men "is not a big surprise to me ... It was sort of obvious that they were a package."

Monroe said that thanks to the bizarre properties of the quantum world, when he and Wineland worked together in the 1990s, they were able to put a single atom in two places simultaneously.

At that time, it wasn't clear that trapping single atoms could help pave the way to superfast quantum computers, he said. That whole field "just fell into our laps,'" Monroe said.

In an ordinary computer, information is represented in bits, each of which is either a zero or a one. But in a quantum computer, an individual particle can essentially represent a zero and a one at the same time. If scientists can make such particles work together, certain kinds of calculations could be done with blazing speed.

One example is the factoring, the process of discovering what numbers can be multiplied together to produce a given number. That has implications for breaking codes, Monroe said.

[...]
http://home.knology.net/news/read.php?i ... EWS&page=2

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:35 pm

this could also make a hackers job a great deal easier. Reason being
is that it would make a trillion computations possible in a short amount of
time. Time and processing power is a hackers enemy as they need both
to break difficult encryptions on computer systems.

Proof of this is in the hacking we see currently on the net. The reason computers
are hacked like they are is so that the hacker can use the processing power
of each computer to help him or her complete the computations needed to break
long and difficult encryptions.

Most hackers can break an 8 bit cipher in no time. For instance if you have a password
that is four numbers ie..."1234" the computer knows to try every number using what
is called a Brute Force algorithm to crack your password. It will try 0000-9999 and
WILL eventually find the password.

With higher encryptions mixed with number and capitol letters, this process take a great
deal longer. Perhaps even years to break. This is why it is recommended that you make
difficult passwords and change them often.

For the quantam computer, what would normally take years, could take hours or even...

Minutes

Computer techies will have to devise a new encryption level as well to combat this
possibility. I can see now I will have plenty of work in the future:)

Thanks for posting becks:)

radiomixer
Billy's Next Ex-Wife

Post by radiomixer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:43 pm

radiomixer
Billy's Next Ex-Wife

Post by radiomixer » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:51 pm

OP on 7/4/2012 wrote:Ok...so the world (well the science world) is generally abuzz with the discovery of the Higgs Bosun particle...
AP: Cern Chief: Partical to be Identified by Mid-year
DAVOS, Switzerland (AP) — The world should know with certainty by the middle of this year whether a subatomic particle discovered by scientists is a long-sought Higgs boson, the head of the world's largest atom smasher said Saturday.

From an article released today. This is such cool stuff. All teasing aside, it really is.