American Horror Story

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
Architect of light 75
Father Bolen's son

Re: American Horror Story

Post by Architect of light 75 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:56 am

Dan the Damned wrote:
Architect of light 75 wrote:Interesting Dan, would that possibily be a marketing strategy then ?
No. That's exactly my point. How could placing the word "American" in the title of "American Psycho" be a marketing strategy??? Do they think they're going to get the horror enthusiasts and the patriotic crowd as well by placing "American" in the title, not taking into consideration that someone so patriotic as to be swayed by such a thing would be offended by the "psycho" part of the title?

You're not thinking this through. I think you're just posting for posting's sake.
Architect of light 75 wrote:See the point I was trying to do here :

http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard ... 43#p130743

The colours, the name, all is there..
Yes, but look at the context. On the "American Pie" poster, the flag is used as a thong. Again, if someone was so patriotic that having "American" in the title would make them want to see a film, they would be insulted in the flag being used as a thong. No, instead that poster illustrates the themes of "loss of innocence" loosely based on the popular folk song (which is also about America's loss of innocence from the 50s to the 60s).

The drawing of "American Dad" faithfully recreates that TV show's satire of the stereotypical super-patriotic American. It is a satire of patriots (which is sure to offend real patriots -- but I guess the sledgehammer sarcasm/satire hitting you over the head is a bit too subtle for you).

And "An American Carol" is another political satire, and as such features red, white and blue along with stars, representing the American political symbols. Like "American Dad" it is a satire of patriotism (and anti-patriotism). :hammer:
No I'm just trying to make a point, debate about it.

I believe you have some points but I still believe some stuff are showed as a marketing point. Some in America (like anywhere else in the world) are really puritan and would be, like you said, insulted in the flag being used as a thong, some other persons that are more "frivolous" would find it hillarious and I know some of them. So many "Jackass" guys love it.

I know there are some shows that are about "anti-patriotism", or kind of, I have seen some of these shows and that's fine but by the way.. if they do these shows, it is precisely because many American are patriotic and because they want to show that some are different and that the general mentality evolves.

Good night if you're going to bed.
:rotate: http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard ... php?t=4373

"[..] It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step."

*Architect Of Light :idea:

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:14 am

You say you still believe some stuff is shown as a marketing point, but you then fail to explain how.

Yes, not everyone who is patriotic would be offended by the flag thong, but those aren't the people who would be attracted to a movie simply because it has "American" in the title. Those are not the people who would be swayed by a sense of patriotism to see a film.

I dunno, is this the point where you want me to pretend to agree with you (even though I don't) in order to "play nice"? :?

Architect of light 75
Father Bolen's son

Post by Architect of light 75 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:30 am

Dan the Damned wrote:You say you still believe some stuff is shown as a marketing point, but you then fail to explain how.

Yes, not everyone who is patriotic would be offended by the flag thong, but those aren't the people who would be attracted to a movie simply because it has "American" in the title. Those are not the people who would be swayed by a sense of patriotism to see a film.

I dunno, is this the point where you want me to pretend to agree with you (even though I don't) in order to "play nice"? :?
Well the point is that I don't know where to start, it's clear to me anyway.

So many movies have been made about this American patriotism and this feeling of being the strongest & the best that I actually don't need to prove it.

"but those aren't the people who would be attracted to a movie simply because it has "American" in the title." How do you know ? You know them all ? This is impossible..

Play, be nice because you are please, not because you agree or not. I know you are, sorry for this never ending conversation but I'm just trying to debate, respecting each others opinion.

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:38 am

Architect of light 75 wrote:
Simon wrote: Arch, you have truly lost the plot, maybe they called it an "American Horror Story" because it happened in AMERICA !

Why do they call it a "Swiss Army knife" instead of just an Army knife? Why do they call it Swiss Cheese" instead of just Cheese? Why is it a "Swiss Watch" instead of just a watch? Jesus! :think:

You are now becoming borderline racist and basically offensive (and I am not American). All I can say is that Dan, Victoria, Billy etc have alot of patience and thick skins to keep putting up with your trolling.

Enjoy Europe "The Craddle of civilisation" :roll: :fp:
I see you point Simon, sorry if I sounded rude but my topics were concerning the narrow minded American person. Dan is not obviously, and so are not others here.

I know about stuff that we can eat and stuff named after the place it comes from but how many movies have been called "American girls" "American virgin" "American Psycho", that is different and I really feel like it is a way to underline a specific feeling.

I'm truly sorry if I sounded that agressive but I'm in no way racist or else.

Have a nice day.
Wow someone does sound jealous of America. Hey Arch, if it wasn't for America, most of Europe would be under dictatorships for long after World War II. Maybe even today. You Swiss guys and gals may not have been under dictatorship, but most or all your neighbors would have.

While we are on the subject of movies, I do recommend that you see "Captain America" when it comes out on DVD.

Architect of light 75
Father Bolen's son

Post by Architect of light 75 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:54 am

Victoria Principles wrote: Hey Arch, if it wasn't for America, most of Europe would be under dictatorships for long after World War II. Maybe even today. You Swiss guys and gals may not have been under dictatorship, but most or all your neighbors would have.

While we are on the subject of movies, I do recommend that you see "Captain America" when it comes out on DVD.
Dear Victoria,

Your comments are always like a surprise and surprising.

I can't tell and you can't tell how Europe, or the parts of Europe that were invaded by Nazis, would be nowadays so I don't know what to say but this is typically American to say that, really.

I guess you should say the same to a little "Afghan orphan gal" as you said, that her country wouldn't be the same if the "Team America : World Police" wouldn't be there..

I watch all kind of movies or almost and I'll maybe watch "Captain America" if it is not too silly, I hope you have seen this one under ? Catch the Blu-ray, it's more clear like that..

Take care anyway.

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:02 am

Victoria Principles wrote: Hey Arch, if it wasn't for America, most of Europe would be under dictatorships for long after World War II. Maybe even today. You Swiss guys and gals may not have been under dictatorship, but most or all your neighbors would have.

Dear Victoria,

Your comments are always like a surprise and surprising.

I can't tell and you can't tell how Europe, or the parts of Europe that were invaded by Nazis, would be nowadays so I don't know what to say but this is typically American to say that, really.

I guess you should say the same to a little "Afghan orphan gal" as you said, that her country wouldn't be the same if the "Team America : World Police" wouldn't be there..

I watch all kind of movies or almost and I'll maybe watch "Captain America" if it is not too silly, I hope you have seen this one under ? Catch the Blu-ray, it's more clear like that..

Take care anyway.
Thanks for adknowledging your ignorance of history, Swiss guy. That is a step in the right direction. Spain and Portugal were under a dictatorship until 1975/1976. If the Axis powers won, Italy, Germany, and France would have been under dictatorships for a munch longer duration that what they actually did. Without the Marshall Plan (sponsored by the United States of America, thank you very much), Greece would have been a communist state along with Turkey.

In case if your memory was that short, most of Eastern Europe was under dictatorship until the early 90's. That was in your lifetime, Swiss Guy. It was the United States of America who helped bring down the Iron Curtin and allowed people tore down that wall (as John Foland who proudly tell you). Many people in eastern Europe are still greatful for the role America played in this.

As for Afganistan, they were the ones who attacked us, so we went to war with them. That is how it works Swiss guy. Are we suppose to sit back and do nothing? Besides Afganistan has been at war in one form or another for decades before America got involved.

Architect of light 75
Father Bolen's son

Post by Architect of light 75 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:15 am

Victoria Principles wrote: Thanks for adknowledging your ignorance of history, Swiss guy. That is a step in the right direction. Spain and Portugal were under a dictatorship until 1975/1976. If the Axis powers won, Italy, Germany, and France would have been under dictatorships for a munch longer duration that what they actually did. Without the Marshall Plan (sponsored by the United States of America, thank you very much), Greece would have been a communist state along with Turkey.

In case if your memory was that short, most of Eastern Europe was under dictatorship until the early 90's. That was in your lifetime, Swiss Guy. It was the United States of America who helped bring down the Iron Curtin and allowed people tore down that wall (as John Foland who proudly tell you). Many people in eastern Europe are still greatful for the role America played in this.

As for Afganistan, they were the ones who attacked us, so we went to war with them. That is how it works Swiss guy. Are we suppose to sit back and do nothing? Besides Afganistan has been at war in one form or another for decades before America got involved.
If only it was that simple. Your view of history needs some more new readings & understandings.

A country's power can change, fall, be removed at any time by some people from the same country. No need to wait for the super heros from oversea. Most of the time they only go where there is something to gain back. Same when France for exemple goes to Irak or else.

This war between nations always makes innocents die (both in the US & Afghanistan) so I don't see it as a victory but more like another failure to the human system.

Before we wish to stop wars between these nations, I hope we can stop the ones between us :P I'm moving to North America next year so I'll be closer, I hope we'll be more friendly Victoria, my American friendo :P

See you.

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:40 am

Victoria Principles wrote: Thanks for adknowledging your ignorance of history, Swiss guy. That is a step in the right direction. Spain and Portugal were under a dictatorship until 1975/1976. If the Axis powers won, Italy, Germany, and France would have been under dictatorships for a munch longer duration that what they actually did. Without the Marshall Plan (sponsored by the United States of America, thank you very much), Greece would have been a communist state along with Turkey.

If only it was that simple. Your view of history needs some more new readings & understandings.

A country's power can change, fall, be removed at any time by some people from the same country. No need to wait for the super heros from oversea. Most of the time they only go where there is something to gain back. Same when France for exemple goes to Irak or else.

This war between nations always makes innocents die (both in the US & Afghanistan) so I don't see it as a victory but more like another failure to the human system.

Before we wish to stop wars between these nations, I hope we can stop the ones between us :P I'm moving to North America next year so I'll be closer, I hope we'll be more friendly Victoria, my American friendo :P

See you.
Depending on where you move to, you maybe finding that you will have to have buckshot removed from you if you keep up this attitude, Swiss guy.

Architect of light 75
Father Bolen's son

Post by Architect of light 75 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:01 am

Victoria Principles wrote:
Depending on where you move to, you maybe finding that you will have to have buckshot removed from you if you keep up this attitude, Swiss guy.
You remind me of the "Bowling for Columbine" movie/documentary. One of my friends from Los Angeles was one of the victim back in 1999, he was 17, got shot in the arm, chest, back and abdomen on the same grassy area near the entrance of the High School. Now he's in a wheelchair.

Another great stuff in America, the weapon market.

I hope you and I would rather have a glass of soja milk or a Coke (it's American) ;)

TigresMeow
Yo Adrian I luv black caulk

Post by TigresMeow » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:32 am

Victoria -

If the buckshot comment was referring to how people are in Texas, that really is not the way it is here. I have lived in Texas for the past 10 years and I have yet to see anyone with a gun. While the laws here are a bit more liberal when it comes to protecting yourself or your property, we do not just shoot people because of their beliefs. If that were the case, I would have put a load of buckshot into alot of people. From what I have observed from living in two cities in Texas, alot of the people are very conservative right wing people. They are not a bunch of cowboys with guns on their hips waiting for a shoot out. We are allowed to shoot to kill if our lives are threatened or we are protecting our property but you won't see very many shootings of this kind in the local newspapers. I seriously doubt Arch would get a load of buckshot just because of what he believes.
If you're gonna kick a tiger in the ass, you better have a plan to deal with it's teeth.

RIP 15

"Have the dogs stopped barking, Clarice?"

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:48 am

Why all of the hostility? Last I checked, people
were allowed their opinions.
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of
the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:58 am

Howard64 wrote:Why all of the hostility? Last I checked, people
were allowed their opinions.
What does hostility have to do with not allowing another's opinion? And whose opinion is not being allowed?

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:02 pm

it seems to me that Arch has an opinion on something here
and for all intents and purposes, it appears to me he is
getting some negative attention for it.

I do not see that he is doing anything wrong in all honesty.
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of
the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:28 pm

No one is saying that he is doing something wrong. They are giving their counter-opinions, aren't they? Aren't those allowed as well?

Kinzoku
Quarter-Moon Inquisitor

Post by Kinzoku » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Horsey??? Horsey??? you in here?????

eber3
complete jackass

Post by eber3 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:11 pm

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:39 pm

And back on topic... ;)
American Horror Story: Watch the First Five (Very Spooky) Minutes Now!

You thought the house in Amityville Horror was freaky deaky? Wait until you step foot inside the haunted mansion at the center of FX’s American Horror Story.

But don’t take our word for it. Check out the following video (provided by AOL TV) featuring the first five minutes of the Oct. 5 premiere and see for yourself.
http://www.tvline.com/2011/09/american- ... ere-video/

Evanguy Reincarnated
Curiouser and curiouser

American Horror Story

Post by Evanguy Reincarnated » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:50 pm

Is anyone else excited about watching American Horror Story starting tonight 05-OCT-11 on FX?

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/ahs/
Like a child left to roam, you found me, your arms were my home

Shawn
Been there, Done that

Post by Shawn » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:47 pm

I DVR'd it tonight!!!!!
Any and all comments made by the poster "Shawn" are purely his opinion and do not reflect the opinions of the board owners, administrators or moderators. Also, all postings done by the member "Shawn" are property of "Shawn" and cannot be reproduced in any way shape or form without written permission from the poster known here(@http://www.amityvillefaq.com) as "Shawn". TIA.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:01 am

Well I enjoyed that first episode. I appreciated the adult themes and language, and the way they seemed to favor "creepy" over "cheap scares." Reminded me, in a way, of "Kingdom Hospital." Unfortunately I grew bored with that show after a handful of episodes. Hopefully that won't happen with this one.

Plus I really like the way they include "American" in the title. I probably wouldn't bother watching, otherwise...