American Horror Story

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville

Re: American Horror Story

Postby TigresMeow » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:18 pm

They prolly included "American" in the title because it's about an American family living in a house that is located in America. ;)
If you're gonna kick a tiger in the ass, you better have a plan to deal with it's teeth.

RIP 15

"Have the dogs stopped barking, Clarice?"
TigresMeow
Yo Adrian I luv black caulk

Postby sherbetbizarre » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:30 pm

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby Dan the Damned » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:03 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:http://www.mrc.org/cmi/articles/2011/Graphic_Violence_Abuse_and_Sex_Horror_is_Right_.html

Pretty biased and unfair review. Yes, it's a show for adults. Don't let the kiddies watch. It's a show for horror fans, not for grandma and grandpa to watch with the kiddies...

The premiere of "American Horror Story" wasn't just sexually and physically repulsive. Flashback scenes also featured a large dose of verbal and mental cruelty toward a Down syndrome girl - including her mother, played by Jessica Lange, wishing she'd aborted her.

The mother didn't say this in the presence of the child. The only cruelty came at the start, when 2 preteen boys call out to her with, "Hey freak," and then threaten to beat her up after she informs them that they are about to die in the old abandoned house which they are breaking into.
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby sherbetbizarre » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:58 am

Lol, it will probably be tucked away on the FX channel here, and no-one will care (about the violence, etc)...
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby Dan the Damned » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:34 am

I really haven't looked into it, but it kinda seems that review is from one of those outfits who are always complaining to the FCC about indecent programming on TV. The uptight citizens brigade types. You know, like how you guys used to have to put up with people like Mary Whitehouse.
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby Shawn » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:11 am

I liked it! And FX always has had shows like that(Nip and Tuck come to mind) :roll: It's not a kiddie channel in any way shape or form. IMO that review was crappy. Not happy crappy, just crappy.
Any and all comments made by the poster "Shawn" are purely his opinion and do not reflect the opinions of the board owners, administrators or moderators. Also, all postings done by the member "Shawn" are property of "Shawn" and cannot be reproduced in any way shape or form without written permission from the poster known here(@http://www.amityvillefaq.com) as "Shawn". TIA.
Shawn
Been there, Done that

Postby sherbetbizarre » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:03 pm

How would you describe this series to people?
O’HARE: It is difficult. I’ve said it’s like The Shining meets Twin Peaks meets The Amityville Horror meets Lars Von Trier’s The Kingdom. It’s got elements of all of that. It’s got the weirdness of the population of Twin Peaks, it’s got the crazy momentum of The Shining, and it’s got the haunted house, slow motion reveal of The Amityville Horror. But, ultimately, it’s its own thing and it lives in the mind of Ryan Murphy. In a year or so, I think you’ll hear people starting to say, “Yeah, it’s like American Horror Story,” and use this as a reference because it’s so unique.

http://www.trueblood-online.com/cast-cr ... -and-more/
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby Dan the Damned » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:56 pm

Yeah, it has shades of lots of horror films in it, Amityville included. I wouldn't agree with the "slow reveal" comment, though. Not at all. It gets things started pretty quickly and keeps up a good pace. Two shows down so far and I still like it. And I consider myself a pretty harsh critic. (But I don't want to build it up to anyone as being "stupendous" -- just a good show.)

Is it on in the UK?
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby sherbetbizarre » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:41 pm

I believe it starts the week after next :)
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby Dan the Damned » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:17 pm

Will it be called English Horror Story?
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby sherbetbizarre » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:23 pm

I think we're going with Yankee Horror Story
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby Rokiisun » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:57 pm

Yep, it's definetely American Horror Story over here. Saw the advertisements for it on FX last week.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.
Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Postby Dan the Damned » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:15 pm

Does it make you feel like it's gonna be better than a normal horror story since it has the word "American" in the title? ;)
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby sherbetbizarre » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:55 pm

It makes me feel like the American's think they are superior to everyone in the world by putting "American" in the title... I mean, what's next? "An American Shattered Hopes"?
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby Dan the Damned » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:14 pm

I totally agree, Sherb. People around here just have to slap "American" on everything, and then we all salute it. It's nuts. You are so right with that. Can't believe no one else has noticed this before. :think:
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Postby Rokiisun » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:32 pm

Actually, that is a good point. I notice a simular thing with the UK.

Whilst we don't slap 'British' onto most things, sometimes the media use it to describe something as being more superior.

For instance, if say... a scottish snooker player (or any sports player in that matter from Scotland) is in an importaint international tournament and they win... the very next day you will have, 'British player, such and such, wins world championship' but if they lose... 'Scottish player, such and such, loses world championship.' :?

Isn't Irish, English, Scottish and Welsh the same thing as 'British?'
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.
Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Postby eber3 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:39 pm

Rokiisun wrote:Isn't Irish, English, Scottish and Welsh the same thing as 'British?'

Well, I'm far from an expert, but I know lots of North Ireland citizens don't want to have anything to do with 'British' or the UK at all. And from what I've heard, there is a fairly large Scottish crowd, and even a smaller Welsh crowd, who feel the same way and want back their independent countries from hundreds of years ago.
eber3
complete jackass

Postby BillyCigars » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:23 pm

Rokiisun wrote:Isn't Irish [...] the same thing as 'British?'

LOL, I wouldn't ask that question in an Irish pub. :lol:
"The old man's still an artist with a Thompson."
BillyCigars
American Psycho

Postby Rokiisun » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:38 pm

eber3 wrote:
Well, I'm far from an expert, but I know lots of North Ireland citizens don't want to have anything to do with 'British' or the UK at all. And from what I've heard, there is a fairly large Scottish crowd, and even a smaller Welsh crowd, who feel the same way and want back their independent countries from hundreds of years ago.

Yeah, the SNP (Scottish National Party) has been trying to fight for independence for a whole year. Scotland has never been a free country and whilst the idea of independence sounds great and all - I don't think Scotland (or Wales) would be able to stand on it's own without help from England. Northern Ireland, yes, because south Ireland has a separate government and can be supported by them.

BillyCigars wrote:
LOL, I wouldn't ask that question in an Irish pub. :lol:

True :lol: I shouldn't ask that at my local pub either to be honest.
Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Postby tomspy77 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:21 am

That's it, I'm changing my screen name to the 'American' Tomspy77...its the patriotic thing to do, and the tasty way to do it! ;) :o :P
tomspy77
Son of Davros

Postby Dan the Damned » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:41 am

I would value your opinion even more if you put "American" in your user name. In fact, if you told me to jump off a cliff, I'd probably consider it.
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

PreviousNext

Return to Amityville Coffee House