Postby Brendan72 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:08 pm

As Neil from The Young Ones would say: "We have a polter-goost!"
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)
Brendan72
Forest Giant

Postby sherbetbizarre » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:54 pm

I watched this old favourite again as it's finally been remastered on DVD...

And the lack of extras brings up the old question: Who really directed this movie?

Just over a year ago a crew member turned up on this forum: http://www.spielbergfilms.com/forum/sho ... php?t=3949 and basically confirmed what most people already knew...

According to "Ben There", Spielberg took over from Tobe Hooper on the first day of shooting - It appears that Hooper was veering too far from Spielbergs vision of the movie: "...he was preparing to make a much different film than the one that was made..."

In pre-production Spielberg would scrap decisions made by Hooper, telling various departments to stick to his own version, and in one case, firing an actor Hooper had hired and recasting him. Oh, and Hooper had quite a "substance problem" at the time too...

"Ben There" says:

"As I see it, Tobe's main contribution was in his
convincing Spielberg just how big a mistake had been made in his
hiring. I have no idea when Spielberg reached that conclusion, but
knowledge of that conclusion was first made known to all only as the
cast, the set, and the camera were readied for our very first shot of
principal photography.

As I recall, Tobe directed, exactly, the discovery of Tweety's death;
Tweety's burial in the Freeling's backyard; and a few shots as were
left for him on a list by Spielberg, including tree hands coming
through the bedroom window and Robbie's struggle / strangulation scene
under the bed with the clown. Most of these were shot by Tobe when
Steven was away on business in N.Y. for a couple/three days. Whatever
amount of directing Tobe might have done, over and above my own
recollection, would not amount to any more than those scenes I
mentioned above
."

So why didn't Spielberg simply fire Hooper? Simple - E.T. was in pre-production, and the Directors Guild forbade anyone working two films at the same time... "Ben There" on Spielberg "...THIS guy could work two shows at once, without even batting an eye. He was then... as he is now... a certified workaholic like you cannot believe..."

Seeing it again, it certainly looks and feels like a Spielberg picture!

Here's an old "making of" not present on the DVD. See if you make out who more hands-on in this clip...

http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid= ... 6884&hl=fr
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby devilbustedinct » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:39 am

My two cents is that it was a Spielberg film from start to finish. It looks, sounds, and smells like one. Hooper's other films, while not bad, never had that "touch." I think Spielberg simply wanted to give Hooper credit as originally planned, an honorable move indeed if what I read above is true.

I haven't checked out the DVD yet, even though I bought it the day it came out.

Thanks for the interesting news above.
devilbustedinct
Walking the Burning Fence

Postby sherbetbizarre » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:47 am

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby Jetstar3D » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:14 am

OMG :lol: What a great mash-up! Two of my favorite things, Full House and Poltergeist. E-Boz = Comet and Carol Anne = Michelle
Jetstar3D
Shiner

Postby Chichibcc » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:35 pm

I love this video!
Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Postby Amit Y Ville » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:45 am

On that link to the making of documentary... wow, just wow.

There's no doubt in my mind that Poltergeist is the best ghost/haunted house movie ever made, and probably will be in my lifetime. I actually preferred the first sequel to the original until I watched it a couple of months back and I was old enough to fully appreciate all the poetry which goes on in that movie between the characters, storylines and family drama. Spielberg is such a powerful director, watching films from around that era like Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, E.T, The Goonies - that guy has a certain magic.

I have no idea why Poltergeist got a PG rating in the states. Indiana Jones & Temple Of Doom was the start of the PG-13 era was it not? But Poltergeist had a pot smoking scene and the face ripping sequence in the bathroom. I was actually shocked it got a 15 cert in the UK as the latter was really nasty. Without those two scenes the movie would have definitely earned a PG.

I still like The Amityville Horror. The book just beats it hands down as do most books. That movie though in terms of directing is a million miles away from Poltergeist. Spielberg made it his duty to breathe life into the juvenile characters whereas Steiger didn't feel he needed to. TAH is also very down-tempo and Poltergeist injects much humour and beauty into the production.
Amit Y Ville
Amityville Addict

Postby Amit Y Ville » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:53 am

Fans of Poltergeist might like to read about the Blu-Ray release which I'll be getting this Christmas. The difference in quality from the DVD print is quite noticable.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie ... ergeist.ht
m

Amit Y Ville
Amityville Addict

Postby costerluver » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:44 pm

There was something about Poltergeist that I never understood. What happened to the dog? We see the dog jump into the cab with Robbie when he goes to his grandma's house. Once they get Carol Anne back, the kids return to the house but the dog doesn't. They then flee the house and check into a hotel but the dog isn't with them. Did he disappear? Did the ghosts take him too but the family just forgot? (joke) or did they just leave him at grandma's house for some strange reason?
Some people are like slinkies. They're really good for nothing but they still put a smile on your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

By the time you finish reading this you would have realized that it doesn't say anything worth reading and that you just wasted 5 seconds of your life
costerluver
Amityville Addict

Postby Amit Y Ville » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:00 am

costerluver wrote:There was something about Poltergeist that I never understood. What happened to the dog? We see the dog jump into the cab with Robbie when he goes to his grandma's house. Once they get Carol Anne back, the kids return to the house but the dog doesn't. They then flee the house and check into a hotel but the dog isn't with them. Did he disappear? Did the ghosts take him too but the family just forgot? (joke) or did they just leave him at grandma's house for some strange reason?

In the Directors Cut you see him get tied to a lamp-post. :wink:
Amit Y Ville
Amityville Addict

Postby sherbetbizarre » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:02 pm

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby KevinW » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:59 pm

costerluver wrote:There was something about Poltergeist that I never understood. What happened to the dog? We see the dog jump into the cab with Robbie when he goes to his grandma's house. Once they get Carol Anne back, the kids return to the house but the dog doesn't. They then flee the house and check into a hotel but the dog isn't with them. Did he disappear? Did the ghosts take him too but the family just forgot? (joke) or did they just leave him at grandma's house for some strange reason?

If I remember right, he was there. He's seen laying on the floor when Diane is taking a bath, getting into the station wagon with the family when the house went nuts, and again when the family is going into their room at the Holiday Inn.

Kevin
KevinW
Amityville Maniac

Postby Jetstar3D » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:42 pm

This sounds like it's going to be rubbish :cry:
Jetstar3D
Shiner

Postby sherbetbizarre » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:14 pm

Poltergeist Remake Hits Fast Track

Word has broken from MGM about their proposed remake of the classic film Poltergeist. The studio has slated the film for release on November 24, 2010, just in time for Thanksgiving weekend. Vadim Perelman (House of Sand and Fog) is attached to direct.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/33016/poltergeist-remake-hits-fast-track
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Re: Poltergeist

Postby sherbetbizarre » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:07 pm

R.I.P. Zelda Rubinstein

Source:LA Times January 27, 2010

Zelda Rubinstein, the actress best known for her portrayal of Tangina Barrons Poltergeist has passed away at the age of 76.

Rubinstein was hospitalized at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center about two months ago after suffering a mild heart attack, and taken off of life support just prior to New Years.

Zelda worked as a medical lab technician before launching her acting career in her 40s, and made her film debut in the 1981 Chevy Chase comedy Under the Rainbow. The prolific actress accumulated a huge list of film credits which included Frances, Sixteen Candles, Teen Witch, Anguish and most recently Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon and Southland Tales.

She was also involved in plenty of activist work, such as forming the nonprofit Michael Dunn Memorial Repertory Theater Company in Los Angeles to help little actors book quality roles, as well as an AIDS activist having played the mother in L.A. CARES (Los Angeles Cooperative AIDS Risk-Reduction Education Service) campaign for AIDS awareness.

Genre fans will of course always remember her for her unforgettable performance as Tangina in the Poltergeist trilogy.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/to ... p?id=13852

:(
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby Jetstar3D » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:48 pm

I loved her in Poltergeist and yes...Teen Witch. RIP Zelda :cry:

Jetstar3D
Shiner

Postby Brendan72 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:03 pm

Or as Neil on The Young Ones would call it, a "Polter-goost"!
- Brendan72

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Postby Brendan72 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:05 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:
R.I.P. Zelda Rubinstein

Source:LA Times January 27, 2010

Zelda Rubinstein, the actress best known for her portrayal of Tangina Barrons Poltergeist has passed away at the age of 76.

Rubinstein was hospitalized at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center about two months ago after suffering a mild heart attack, and taken off of life support just prior to New Years.

Zelda worked as a medical lab technician before launching her acting career in her 40s, and made her film debut in the 1981 Chevy Chase comedy Under the Rainbow. The prolific actress accumulated a huge list of film credits which included Frances, Sixteen Candles, Teen Witch, Anguish and most recently Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon and Southland Tales.

She was also involved in plenty of activist work, such as forming the nonprofit Michael Dunn Memorial Repertory Theater Company in Los Angeles to help little actors book quality roles, as well as an AIDS activist having played the mother in L.A. CARES (Los Angeles Cooperative AIDS Risk-Reduction Education Service) campaign for AIDS awareness.

Genre fans will of course always remember her for her unforgettable performance as Tangina in the Poltergeist trilogy.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/to ... p?id=13852

:(

She worked with Chevy Chase?? That would have brought on a coronary episode for anyone!
- Brendan72

Brendan72
Forest Giant

poltergeist movie

Postby csullivan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:44 pm

csullivan
Amityville Maniac

Re: poltergeist movie

Postby kathyM » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:23 am

I do remember that they were filming part 3 and she died before they finished filming. They used a double to finish up the movie. So sad, the little girl was so cute in the first poltergeist movie.
kathyM
Princess

Postby sherbetbizarre » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:18 pm

Could a Poltergeist Remake Finally Be Coming in 2012?

While on the set of Takashi Shimizu's upcoming supernatural airplane thriller 7500, producer Roy Lee offered up updates on potential remakes or reboots for The Ring and The Grudge. Another remake that the producer briefly discussed during Dread Central's set visit is the long-rumored Poltergeist project that has seen its share of problems over the last year.

The Poltergeist reimagining originally had Vadim Perelman (House of Sand and Fog) attached to direct, but then money woes at MGM slowed everything down to a grinding halt on the flick. According to Lee, though, momentum might be picking up soon on the Poltergeist remake.

Lee said, "The one project I'm probably most excited for is the Poltergeist remake, and that's something that will hopefully get accomplished sometime next year."

And while the producer isn't officially attached to the project just yet, Lee did confirm that he has been in talks with MGM to come on board the remake as producer.

More as it comes.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/49022/ ... oming-2012
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Amityville Coffee House