The POLTERGEIST movies

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
liebesspiel
Amityville Addict

The POLTERGEIST movies

Post by liebesspiel » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:07 pm

I just finished watching Poltergeist a few hours ago. It was a pretty good movie. Now, THIS is a haunted house film. U know, the original Amityville Horror is kinda mediocre 'cause it has LACK of scares. If this movie had more scares and more excitement, it could have been much much better. It's all Stuart Rosenberg's fault. He directed this movie in a really mediocre way. I understand this movie might have been excellent for it's time. But, c'mon, it could have been better. Maybe another director should have directed this movie. Stuart Rosenbergs is such an a s s h o l e.
[img]http://home.graffiti.net/fredkrueger/amitymex.jpg[/img]

http://www.fotolog.com/amityvillehorror/

bridge
Amityville Member

Post by bridge » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:23 pm

what is it that that touches that dark dark spot in our souls?? is it that Santa is dead..The tooth fairy is Mom...Peter Pan will never EVER leave neverland??? if the shadow under the bed grabs your legs with scales for skin or long razor tipped nails....does it matter?? or has the fact that you have been touched matter at all. the magic of horror has lost it's glow...most companys wont let you write in books what you see on TV you might hurt some ones feelings//////But you know ..in the shadows...under the bed...behind the closet door....right out side the window........there is something only you can explain...and no one else will never understand

Sleuth
Amityville Member

Post by Sleuth » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:33 pm

You prefer the remake (Amityville 2005)? :?

liebesspiel
Amityville Addict

Post by liebesspiel » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:39 am

Sleuth wrote:You prefer the remake (Amityville 2005)? :?
HELL NO! I'm just complaining 'bout Rosenberg's mediocre direction. They should have chosen another director 4 this movie. But anyway, I still love this movie so much.

liebesspiel
Amityville Addict

Post by liebesspiel » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:39 am

BTW, I can't beliebe Poltergeist is rated PG!!! :shock:

Sleuth
Amityville Member

Post by Sleuth » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:49 pm

What you will change in the original movie? Is true, the 1979 not the total excitement, but is more realistic than the remake. In spite of everything is almost disputed today.

SPOILER:

I found that the priest who became blind was too strong.

You know the movie THE CHANGELING?....Is a very good ghost story with George C. Scott.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:30 am

25th Anniversary Edition DVD due in October...

Includes Hans Holzer documentary!

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/poltergeist.html

thecount
Amityville Addict

Post by thecount » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:02 am

The Changeling is a good movie. Although it was scary as HELL times three when I was younger. I wish I could have such an experience again. Still great to watch. Same thing with Poltergeist. Classics.

BTW: The new release of Poltergeist doesn't look too good. Where's the extras? I wanna see 'making of' and special effects' and so on.
-Death is a final for only the living, the spirit will always remain.

devilbustedinct
Walking the Burning Fence

Post by devilbustedinct » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:49 am

Damn! I was so excited to see one of my favorite movie's finally getting a revamped DVD release, only to read the link Sherb left to see that it is not revamped at all. The original DVD had some serious quality issues, especially the transfer, which was horrible. I guess they didn't bother to clean that up and just try to squeeze it out quick before Halloween. Besides THE EXORCIST, I think POLTERGEIST is one of the best horror films ever made. What a shame....and Holzer again? WTF?!

I would have loved to see a 'making of' that showed Spielberg stepping all over Tobe Hooper. Hooper was not a bad director, but from one viewing, you can see that Spielberg held the reins. Maybe a BR or an HD release will appear and solve the problem. POLTERGEIST deserves much better.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:12 am

What makes you think the picture will not be remastered?

SilkyPup
I purr when I'm happy

Post by SilkyPup » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:15 am

This has always been one of my favorites!!!!
Im not little, Im funsize!

BellWitch74
Ruined Doll

Post by BellWitch74 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:43 am

Poltergeist rocks!
Amityville re-release - why do we want to hear from Holzer? Wasn't his book a sham?
Madness starts here.
Malice in Wonderland

devilbustedinct

Post by devilbustedinct » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:03 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:What makes you think the picture will not be remastered?
Looking at and reading the box cover, those is no mention of remastered picture, only the audio. I could be wrong, but the consensus is the picture is not remastered. I hope I am wrong.

A few sources say the picture is remastered, but why boast only about the audio when the picture is realized as one of the worst transfers ever? I suppose it can't be worse, so we will have to settle for whatever the improvement is.

BellWitch74
Ruined Doll

Post by BellWitch74 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:12 am

Actually, the audio on the DVD I have (which is not the new release) is crappy. There are background sounds on it that I clearly remember being on the VHS that did not show up on the DVD and that has always bugged me. Maybe that's the remastered part?
Madness starts here.
Malice in Wonderland

devilbustedinct

Post by devilbustedinct » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:19 am

BellWitch74 wrote:Actually, the audio on the DVD I have (which is not the new release) is crappy. There are background sounds on it that I clearly remember being on the VHS that did not show up on the DVD and that has always bugged me. Maybe that's the remastered part?
Interesting, I never compared the two. Now that sounds unusual. I will still buy this release, and probably the Two Disc Special Edition, and the Ultimate three disc edition, and the Extreme 4 disc box set, then the Blue Ray...and then the HD DVD, and then the...hey does anyone want my old one?

BellWitch74
Ruined Doll

Post by BellWitch74 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:37 am

devilbustedinct wrote:
BellWitch74 wrote:Actually, the audio on the DVD I have (which is not the new release) is crappy. There are background sounds on it that I clearly remember being on the VHS that did not show up on the DVD and that has always bugged me. Maybe that's the remastered part?
Interesting, I never compared the two. Now that sounds unusual. I will still buy this release, and probably the Two Disc Special Edition, and the Ultimate three disc edition, and the Extreme 4 disc box set, then the Blue Ray...and then the HD DVD, and then the...hey does anyone want my old one?
I realized it because I watched the VHS so much when it came out. Then when I got the DVD some of the background noises weren't on it, like at the beginning when Carolann was yelling at the TV "hey, hello? i can't hear you!" and you see everyone waking up - that's not on the DVD. You see everyone waking up like they've heard something (her yelling) but you don't hear Carolann shouting at the TV. On the VHS, you hear her shouting at the TV as everyone's waking up.
Madness starts here.
Malice in Wonderland

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:44 pm

I spoke to a Warner Bros rep today, and yes, picture will be "remastered and restored" :D

LilJuicedCoupe
Kats 12 inch hotrodder

Post by LilJuicedCoupe » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:42 am

I would realy like to see the original with the alternate ending that never was. I do believe someone here posted the script. That ending sounded like just what the movie needed.
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e181/animeluverah/amityville.jpg[/img]

SilkyPup
I purr when I'm happy

Post by SilkyPup » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:45 am

I didn't know there was an alternate ending :shock:
Im not little, Im funsize!

Littlechinagirl
Amityville Addict

Post by Littlechinagirl » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:46 am

This is without a doubt one of my favorite series. The first one was good, but the second one still creeps me out to this day. Kane is, in my book, the scariest character ever in a horror movie. I get all wigged out the minute I hear him singing God is in his holy temple :shock: Julian Beck was definitely perfect for the role.

Here is one of my favorite links for the movies...much of it centers on the 2nd one and much of it is dedicated to Julian Beck, but there are some really great facts and tidbits about all the movies as well as lost scenes, pics etc.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/8476/
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/littlechinagirl/ChinaWelcome.gif[/img]

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:44 pm

Here's a great page on the original's movie locations