The Last Exorcism

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Re: The Last Exorcism

Post by Dan the Damned » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:47 am

Sad to hear that. The premise sounded good, but a crappy ending can ruin a film. At least for me.

I dunno. Stephen King's "It" had a crappy ending, but I guess I still liked it. That's a rare one, though.

eber3
complete jackass

Post by eber3 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:33 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:Sad to hear that. The premise sounded good, but a crappy ending can ruin a film. At least for me.

I dunno. Stephen King's "It" had a crappy ending, but I guess I still liked it. That's a rare one, though.
You know several of Kings stories have crappy endings. And by no means am I knocking him, he is a great writer, and in IMO one of the all time greats. That said, it seems like he often comes up with great story ideas but never really nails an ending. So he just kind of ends it regardless. "IT", as you mentioned, also "Tommy Knockers", and the "Dark Tower series" all suffered from this. Along with several others I'm not recalling off hand. These were all some of his best ideas full of wonderful imagery and great story telling, but he just kind of had no idea how to end them. In fact the last two or three "Dark Tower" books went downhill badly and he even acknowledged that in the story itself. If you haven't read them, he wrote himself in as a character who made comments along the lines of, "sometimes the story is just taking to long to tell, so I just have to finish it and get it done."

That said, he also has stories that are brilliant from start to finish, like "Stand By Me", Shawshank Redemption", "Carrie", "The Green Mile" etc. When he does it right, his stories are instant classics. When he's off a little, he still delivers a great read full of memorable scenes with just a little bit of a clunky ending.

Lol, sorry. I really got off topic here. Blame Dan, he brought up one of my favorite authors! :lol:

Back on topic, I can't wait to see this movie. But alas I have to wait until I can get it on dvd from Netflix.

devilbustedinct
Walking the Burning Fence

Post by devilbustedinct » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:52 pm

The somewhat positive reviews have peaked my interest a bit more. But I hear all over the place the end ruins what could have been a decent flick. One critic said this:

"The film is like enjoying a beautifully tender filet mignon where every bite is delicious. But, at the end you find a disgusting fungus-filled toe nail on the plate."

Pretty much what you guys are saying here. Still not enough to get me to but I ticket. Although I did enjoy PIRANHA 3D and CENTURION. Neil Marshall has real potential (I liked DOG SOLDIERS).

No spoilers yet please if possible...I hope to check it out soon.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:01 pm

Saw it tonight with the director and cast in attendance and I had no problem with the ending!

shuggins
Amityville Addict

Post by shuggins » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:50 pm

Interesting.... so you, in effect, are saying you liked the movie? Seriously.... YOU DID? I've thought a lot about it since Friday night. I still stand by everyone (most everyone) else's opinion that it was awful (the ending ruined an otherwise nice film).

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:01 am

*SPOILERS*

Well, it had to go one way - either she's faking it or the climax was going to go all-out... it did take a bit of a left-turn though...

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:55 pm

Okay, that was freaky! Good post.

Boogeyman
Wandering in Darkness

Post by Boogeyman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:17 pm

The Last Exorcism is where i wait for :D

i watched Exorcism of Emily Rose and thats a veryyyy good movie
so i hope this will be a good 1 to
My name is Legion: for we are many.

devilbustedinct

Post by devilbustedinct » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:35 am

Ok, I finally saw this movie and enjoyed it more than I thought. I do agree the ending was not what I was expecting, and it was a bit of a disappointment considering the rest of the film. Great performances are what saved this. I was glad not to see the mark of Hollywood until the last several minutes...it made so much sense until that point. Reminded me of a certain Roman Polanski film.

Incidentally, I love the exorcist's gear. I know lots of people in the audience laughed, but these things and MUCH MORE are actually available at certain magic stores and available to anyone, and that is pretty scary.

We had a recent discussion and a magic forum on this very topic and we all agreed that the right person, with the right tools and the ill-will, could without doubt take the most hardest skeptics and scare the living bejeezus out of them. In fact, I've seen it happen. What a world!

Thanks for the posts that got me into the theater.

csullivan
Amityville Maniac

Post by csullivan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:05 am

Shawn
Been there, Done that

Post by Shawn » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:46 pm

I thought this movie sucked. big ones. :fp:
Any and all comments made by the poster "Shawn" are purely his opinion and do not reflect the opinions of the board owners, administrators or moderators. Also, all postings done by the member "Shawn" are property of "Shawn" and cannot be reproduced in any way shape or form without written permission from the poster known here(@http://www.amityvillefaq.com) as "Shawn". TIA.

devilbustedinct

Post by devilbustedinct » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:01 am

Shawn wrote:I thought this movie sucked. big ones. :fp:
Was it the ending that put you off? Man, I have seen some recent horror flicks that suck waaaaay bigger ones than that. Can I ask what you didn't like about it?

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:07 pm

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:02 am

.... the crap continues ... as long as it is financially viable for Hollywood!
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:22 am

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:28 am

Eww! That is a yucky picture above with the girl bent over backwards.

devilbustedinct

Post by devilbustedinct » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:49 am

I still say the first one should have been called "THE NEXT TO THE LAST EXORCISM."

Show them stupid, and they will come.

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:10 am

Lately it seems to me that Hollywood is almost glorifying the idea
of being possessed. Or at the very least sparking almost an obsession
with the subject. I find this disturbing because coupled with that are
the plethora of ghost hunting shows that permeate the airwaves. Some
of which are geared towards young adults.

Why not focus on something a little more healthier like...God?

I am not speaking on religion. That is man made and is highly distorted
making mankind turn from God. Rather I am speaking on the tenets of
what Jesus Christ taught us; love everyone as you love your self, even
if they do you wrong or persecute you.

Dont misunderstand me, please, I like a good movie myself but it
just strikes me that people seem to gravitate anymore to this subject.
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of
the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Jacob Sterling
Don't lie to me, you bastard fornicator.

Post by Jacob Sterling » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:33 am

A sequel to "The Last Exorcism," rendering the word "last" meaningless...?
Sometimes I drink more than I need to, until the TV's dead and gone. I may be lonely-- but I'm never alone, and the night may pass me by, but I never cry.
~ Alice Cooper

devilbustedinct

Post by devilbustedinct » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:28 am

Howard64 wrote:Lately it seems to me that Hollywood is almost glorifying the idea
of being possessed. Or at the very least sparking almost an obsession
with the subject. I find this disturbing because coupled with that are
the plethora of ghost hunting shows that permeate the airwaves. Some
of which are geared towards young adults.

Dont misunderstand me, please, I like a good movie myself but it
just strikes me that people seem to gravitate anymore to this subject.
So very true Howard. Funny you should mention that...I touch on that subject over TomSpy's blog http://newsfromthespiritworld.com/2012/ ... -exorcism/ if you are interested.

The problem is, they will keep cranking out movies like that as long as people continue to go see them. After all, you don't see many MORTAL COMBAT or STREET FIGHTER movies these days do you?

Maybe they are catching on, the woman in the poster looks like she's forming a big 'ol question mark.