Burnt Offerings

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
msammons
Amityville Addict

Burnt Offerings

Post by msammons » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:06 pm

So I just watched this movie. First, I didn't find it very scary, creepy but not scary. Second, could someone tell me exactly what happened. Did the mother become Mrs. Allerdyce? Is this something the brother and sister did periodically. Maybe I am slow.
Mary
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/spooks/

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:10 pm

I love this movie because of its connection to my childhood. Growing up in the 1970s, we always had cable TV. It was a nominal fee and all it did was deliver our local channels (which we couldn't get due to the hills in our area).

Sometime in the late 70s they announced some weird service called "Showtime" where we could actually watch uncut, unedited Hollywood movies. Back in the day, this was so exciting. All we had were the 3 networks, 4 local channels and a couple of PBS stations.

"Burnt Offerings" was one of the movies Showtime played back then. They just had 1 Showtime channel, and it only played movies at night. They just had a handful of films, so I saw "Burnt Offerings" over and over again. There was literally nothing else on TV -- no cable TV channels like today, other than Showtime.

So I was like 13 at the time, and knew the movie inside and out.

If I saw it today for the first time, I probably wouldn't like it.

I don't really understand the ending, either, despite having watched it so many times.

VampireKen
Amityville Film Historian

Post by VampireKen » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:41 pm

I'm glad i'm not the only person who doesnt understand the ending. I believe the mother was the ghost the entire time. but then it gets confusing. because she to was terrorised.
Last edited by VampireKen on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, it's not the house that's haunted. It's the People."-Self

For Info on Filming Details of the Amityville Horror Trilogy, please view http://amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6594&start=210

MerchBoi
Official Gay Mascot of Amityville

Post by MerchBoi » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:43 pm

It is a weird movie, but entertaining. Dan Curtis knew how to make a creepy film. He's missed, to be sure.
MerchBoi...resident Gay Mascot for Amityville Horror Truth.

"The last chance,
The last dance,
One moment in time.
One song,
Doesn't last that long.
Life turns on a dime.
The wheels of fortune seem to pass you by.
Tomorrow there's a dawn again.
A dream can still be born again.
Take a chance,
While there still is time.
Because life turns on a dime."
-IN MY LIFE

Architect of light 75
Father Bolen's son

Re: Burnt Offerings

Post by Architect of light 75 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:49 am

Hey guys!

I didn't know this one but just ordered it on dvd !!

Thanks for the good idea, it seems to be a very good old horror flick.

See you :idea:
:rotate: http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard ... php?t=4373

"[..] It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step."

*Architect Of Light :idea:

msammons
Amityville Addict

Post by msammons » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:44 am

Ken, you think Karen Black's character was a ghost? Why is that? I am also glad to know that I am not the only one who doesn't understand the ending. It seemed the brother and sister got a family every year to rejuvinate the house or something.
Mary

Kinzoku
Quarter-Moon Inquisitor

Post by Kinzoku » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:50 am

"Burnt" was a very creepy movie back in the 70's. What got me the most was the valet/caretaker or chauffer/undertaker dude with the weird sunglasses. To this day whenever I see an old limo or hearse (from the 50's back) I still tremble. OOaah :shock:

But yeah, the premise was very much like both The Shining and Amityville in so much as the 'House' being a character in the movie. There were shinings and then horrible tragedies that were inflicted on all the families portrayed in all the films, no wonder those who came of age back in the 70's are so intrigued by this subject matter.

These were not your old style horror movies like in the past...they showed what was possibly going on 'next door' or at your next 'vacation'. Because of the prevalence of a structure be it a home or hotel or what-have-you; it certainly hit home with youngsters like us wandering around and looking at creepy old places in our necks of the woods.......of what might be behind that fence or high grass.

And no, Karen Black was not a ghost. She became the next 'old woman' for the 'next family' that summered at the old manse. Just like King's The Shining. Dunno, that would make her a ghost I guess............ :?:

# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Post by # 13 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:53 am

All that I remember was the weird creepy chauffeur and someone falling out of a window at the end.
"Either the most complex and sophisticated hoax in the history of Anthropology has continued for centuries without being exposed or the most manlike and largest non human primate has managed to survive in parts of North America and remains undiscovered by modern science."
Prof G.W.Gill - President of the American Board of Forensic Anthropology

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:54 am

I love the music box theme in this movie. Really goes well with a creepy horror film.

Regarding the ending -- does your DVD have the audio commentary? Right after the pool scene, they discuss the ending. Even Karen Black was confused as to what really happened.

*****SPOILERS*******

According to Dan Curtis, there was an elderly, decaying Mrs Allerdyce up in that room. Like the house, she needed to be "rejuvinated," and she got that from the mother (just as the house was rejuvinated by the death of the father and son).

I didn't realize this, either. My personal guess was that maybe the mother got possessed. But no -- that really was Mrs Allerdyce we see at the end, not the mother.

msammons
Amityville Addict

Post by msammons » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:53 pm

Wow Dan, that is interesting, so what happened to the mother and why did they have Mrs. Allerdyce look like her? BTW didn't Dan Curtis create Dark Shadows as well?
Mary

zzvampy
The Black Bralia

Post by zzvampy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:14 pm

One of my favorite 70's movies!

Dan, I have the DVD as well, great commentary!

My question though, has always been this...at the end, it zooms in on all of the former "residents/caretakers"...the Father and son's pictures are there as well as Bette Davis', but where is the mother's (Karen Black's) photo?

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:57 pm

According to IMDB, Dan Curtis was a director and executive producer on Dark Shadows. Not sure if that was for the entire series or just selected episodes. IMDB also lists some upcoming Dark Shadow movie in development. Don't know what that's about. I never got into Dark Shadows.

Karen Black has a history of doing multiple roles in the same film -- most notably in "Trilogy of Terror." It could have been something as simple as them not wanting to spend extra money on a speaking role for Mrs Allardyce, who only really appears for a minute at the end. But that's just my guess. If they explained that in the commentary, it wasn't in the part I listened to earlier. Perhaps Dan talks about it in an online inverview someplace? Give Google a whirl, and let us know if you find anything. Maybe the IMDB message board has some answer?

www.imdb.com/title/tt0074258/board

Krissy, I've found the photos at the end weird for another reason. It seems all the other families/people have just one solo or group photo, but this latest family hog up the table with one photo per person. I thought that was weird even when I first saw the movie as a kid.

I didn't notice that the mother's photo isn't even there. That would seem to make the inference even stronger that the "new Mrs Allardyce" is the mother from that family. Karen Black says something like, "Oh, I thought I became her," and Dan answers, "Well you did" -- so I guess that even though the body was Mrs Allardyce, the mother (Marian) was now a part of her -- like maybe her spirit was inside her.

And that could be another reason why they used Karen to portray Mrs Allardyce -- as a way of showing that Marian's spirit was now inside (and part of) Mrs Allardyce?

Karen Black was trying to work that out during the commentary, but Dan eventually cut her off because he wanted to talk about some special effects or something. So we don't really get a full explanation.

Also on IMDB, there's a cool note in the trivia section. It says that creepy-looking chauffeur guy in the movie was based on a childhood incident that Dan had -- he was at his mother's funeral and noticed one of the chauffeurs laughing outside of the funeral parlor. This really disturbed him and he wrote it into the film.

The chauffeur kinda resembled my oldest brother at the time. He loved that. :D

msammons
Amityville Addict

Post by msammons » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:40 pm

You know Dan this reminds me of the story in Dark Shadows when Roger Collins wife comes back to town but it was really a reincarnation of her ancestor. What if at some point when Marion went up to check on old Mrs. Allerdyce she was killed and after that it was not really Marion but something else. I know it sounds far fetched and it is just a movie but I hate loose ends. I think I will give google a try and see what I find. What is also funny is the son in the movie is named David and the son in Dark Shadows is named David too.
Mary

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:45 pm

It's not a secret anymore, since Dan Curtis came out and explained it in the commentary. Mystery solved (except for why they used Karen Black to play Mrs Allardyce).

msammons
Amityville Addict

Post by msammons » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:05 pm

Dan is that commentary with the DVD?
Mary

VampireKen

Post by VampireKen » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:21 pm

For Info on Filming Details of the Amityville Horror Trilogy, please view http://amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6594&start=210

MerchBoi
Official Gay Mascot of Amityville

Post by MerchBoi » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:36 pm

Dan Curtis created DARK SHADOWS after he had a dream about a young girl traveling on a train to a big, dark house shrouded in fog ("My name is Victoria Winters...."), and was Exec. Producer of the entire original series, as well as Exec. Producer (and occasional director, including the pilot) of the 91 revival.
MerchBoi...resident Gay Mascot for Amityville Horror Truth.

"The last chance,
The last dance,
One moment in time.
One song,
Doesn't last that long.
Life turns on a dime.
The wheels of fortune seem to pass you by.
Tomorrow there's a dawn again.
A dream can still be born again.
Take a chance,
While there still is time.
Because life turns on a dime."
-IN MY LIFE

VampireKen

Post by VampireKen » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:41 pm

I just found something interesting. The film takes place in California. The original novel took place somewhere in the Peconic Bay area of Long Island.

VampireKen

Post by VampireKen » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:44 pm

It's also interesting to note that the house used in the film is on the registry of historical places: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunsmuir_House

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:46 pm

msammons wrote:Dan is that commentary with the DVD?
Yup.

Arch of Toms River
NOT 108 Ocean Ave

Post by Arch of Toms River » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:19 pm

So what exactley did happen to the aunt? All they showed was the chauffeur guy running into the room with the coffin and that was it.