Favorite “based on a true story” horror flicks

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Favorite “based on a true story” horror flicks

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon May 11, 2009 6:16 am

Stranger Than Fiction

Entertainment editor Matt Barone suspends all disbelief for his nine favorite “based on a true story” horror flicks.
http://www.king-mag.com/online/?p=11547&page=1

VampireKen
Amityville Film Historian

Post by VampireKen » Mon May 11, 2009 12:09 pm

I love what they say about the sequels.
"Sometimes, it's not the house that's haunted. It's the People."-Self

For Info on Filming Details of the Amityville Horror Trilogy, please view http://amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6594&start=210

Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Post by Chichibcc » Mon May 11, 2009 12:27 pm

How in the world did The Return of The Living Dead (1985) make this list??? :roll:

This is one of my favorie scary movies from when I was younger (despite that fact that it is one of the few films in my life that chilled me to the bone and made it impossible for me to sleep after watching it), but I'm not buying the "true story" thing with that one. Too out there.

I think the list should have been named "favorite horror films rumored to be based on a true story"-that would have been more accurate, in my opinion.

Jetstar3D
Shiner

Post by Jetstar3D » Mon May 11, 2009 12:39 pm

Ummm, yeah why is 'Return of the Living Dead' on that list? And as for 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre', the film was inspired by the story of Ed Gein, not at all based on the case. Also I was pleased to see 'Audrey Rose' mentioned, it's a very good yet under rated movie.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Re:

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:21 am

Jetstar3D wrote:Also I was pleased to see 'Audrey Rose' mentioned, it's a very good yet under rated movie.
I'm sure it was due a remake, but - probably thankfully - it never materialzed.

Anyone else seen it?

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Re: Favorite “based on a true story” horror flicks

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:21 am

Is "Audrey Rose" the one about that nutcase who had a baby that turned out to be a demon? Or am I getting it confused with "Rosemary's Baby"?

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:18 pm

That is Rosemary's Baby you are thinking of.
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of
the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Shawn
Been there, Done that

Re: Re:

Post by Shawn » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:15 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Jetstar3D wrote:Also I was pleased to see 'Audrey Rose' mentioned, it's a very good yet under rated movie.
I'm sure it was due a remake, but - probably thankfully - it never materialzed.

Anyone else seen it?

i downloaded it recently, but saw it when it first came out. I also own the book. Very good movie. and i love Anthony Hopkins and Marsha Mason!
Any and all comments made by the poster "Shawn" are purely his opinion and do not reflect the opinions of the board owners, administrators or moderators. Also, all postings done by the member "Shawn" are property of "Shawn" and cannot be reproduced in any way shape or form without written permission from the poster known here(@http://www.amityvillefaq.com) as "Shawn". TIA.

Shawn
Been there, Done that

Post by Shawn » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:18 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:Is "Audrey Rose" the one about that nutcase who had a baby that turned out to be a demon? Or am I getting it confused with "Rosemary's Baby"?

Dan, Audrey Rose is about a man who loses his wife and child in a fiery car crash, then years later finds out his daughter was reincarnated in a little girl who just happens to be reliving her past life death...sort of. Anthony Hopkins plays the man and Marsha Mason plays the girls mother.
Any and all comments made by the poster "Shawn" are purely his opinion and do not reflect the opinions of the board owners, administrators or moderators. Also, all postings done by the member "Shawn" are property of "Shawn" and cannot be reproduced in any way shape or form without written permission from the poster known here(@http://www.amityvillefaq.com) as "Shawn". TIA.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:31 pm

Sounds real familiar. Must have seen it.

BillyCigars
American Psycho

Post by BillyCigars » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:32 pm

....or not. BUT I'm sure its on DVD somewhere in your house, LOL!
"The old man's still an artist with a Thompson."

High Hopes
High Hopes on Ocean Avenue

Post by High Hopes » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:45 pm

And as for 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre', the film was inspired by the story of Ed Gein, not at all based on the case.

Well......In some part yes. But there was in fact a real chainsaw massacre here in Texas, It happened in Kerville. My wife's Aunt and uncle lived there at the time in the early 70's. They are not the type for telling stories. Folks you must remember that you cant believe everything that Hollywood and the internet provides you with. the old slaughter house still stands down there. in all if i remember correctly 8 people were murdered by a freak down there. Kerville likes to keep a tight lid on it. I guess they didnt want there own Amityville saga down there. but yes there in fact a Massacre here in Texas. What they got from the Ed Gein story was the wearing of human flesh. Thats about it.
"The wheel locked" I'd blame Detorit, a lot faster than I would the Devil!

FizzGigg
Amityville Addict

Post by FizzGigg » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:05 pm

I have always enjoyed the 70's movie, "The Town That Dreaded Sundown".
The film is a bit funny with the bluegrass music, and characters being backwoods, but the thought of this man killing these people the way he did is chilling.
I did some research on the killer, and the story itself is very scary the way he would hide in the shadows, and attack.
I have been hoping for a remake of this movie.

Shawn
Been there, Done that

Post by Shawn » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:00 pm

I just watched "Lets Scare Jessica To Death".....creepy. But a good older flick. 1974 I think?

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:02 pm

Looks like this won't be based on a true story anymore...
First plot details on “THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN” remake

As if taking off from the glorious ending of Charles B. Pierce’s original eerie account of true life 1946 murders, the Ryan Murphy-produced remake of THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN will get a bit meta, incorporating the original in its present-day scenario.

Actress Addison Timlin will lead the film as Jami, “a young girl who survives a copycat massacre at the film’s annual tribute screening and sets out to solve the mystery of who’s recreating the unsolved Sackhead murders, using clues from her own past.”

Director Alfonso Gomez-Rejon, who stylishly shined all over AMERICAN HORROR STORY: ASYLUM is set to make his feature debut with the redo, and along with Murphy, will hopefully bring some oddity to the proceedings. Pierce’s original is a strange one in itself, see-sawing from a honky tonk comedic tone to raw, and often brutal stalk-and-kill sequences and even mixing the two with death-by-trumpet. It wonderfully wraps up with the sackhead killer getting in line for the 70s film about his own violent exploits in the 40s in Texarkana.

Happily, the original will be getting its long overdue DVD/Blu release later this year in surely excellent form from the folks at Scream Factory.
http://www.fangoria.com/new/first-plot- ... wn-remake/

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:45 am

Silent hill was loosely based on a true story...
There really is a ghost town in Centralia, PA where underground fires
still exist to this day, but it was caused by human error - not the creepy
way it occurred in the film.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

Julabard
how strange...

Post by Julabard » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:06 am

Return of the Living Dead!
Okay, I see you there! There's a 12 gauge shotgun, waitin' for anybody trespassin'!

Mictros
**New Account**

Post by Mictros » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:18 pm

The Entity was one of my fave movies based on a true story. It's also my "go-to" movie when peeps say that all horror involves an attic, a basement, or an old house. This story takes place in a one level tract house!

devilbustedinct
Walking the Burning Fence

Post by devilbustedinct » Mon May 13, 2013 5:55 am

Shawn wrote:I just watched "Lets Scare Jessica To Death".....creepy. But a good older flick. 1974 I think?
Ya, a classic cheapy but nice and creepy. I live right down the road from where they filmed it. The house was built for the film and is in Old Saybrook and the town featured in the film is the next town over, Essex. I passed it on Sat and snapped a couple photos. The place is in sad shape. You used to be able to go in it, but looks way to dangerous now. The whole area is still creepy. The tower is painted yellow because the used it for a scene in a Julia Roberts movie about ten years ago, but I don't know which one. It was raining so the pics aren't to vibrant. If you haven't seen the movie it's worth a look. Hope you enjoy the photos.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon May 13, 2013 7:47 am

Cheers for these DB. Saw LSJTD at a cinema last month, the print was turning pink but it was still good to see it again!