Tribute to John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness"

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
Post Reply
User avatar
Architect of light 75
Father Bolen's son
Posts: 2405
Location: It depends ;-)

Tribute to John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness"

Post by Architect of light 75 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:10 am

Hey guys :-D

How are you doing ?

The movie was made in 1987 and I visited the Church John used in his movie in September 2007, 20 years later..

Here are some pictures I shot of the Church located in Little Tokyo, Downtown Los Angeles at the 120 Judge John Aiso Street.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not into Satanic stuff at all but I loved this movie for many reasons, including it's view on the Catholic church.

The Church is now a museum so you can enter.. :-)

Enjoy the pix..

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Have a nice day :idea:
:rotate: http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard ... php?t=4373

"[..] It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step."

*Architect Of Light :idea:

User avatar
Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover
Posts: 3251
Location: Battle Creek, Michigan

Post by Chichibcc » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:27 pm

Nice photos!

User avatar
BillyCigars
American Psycho
Posts: 2840
Location: I Have To Return Some Videotapes

Post by BillyCigars » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:34 pm

Very cool!!
"The old man's still an artist with a Thompson."

User avatar
LongLiveQuarterMoon
Current reigning Miss Ocean Ave
Posts: 293
Location: Asheville, NC
Contact:

Post by LongLiveQuarterMoon » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:39 pm

Zohie LOOK he's in the door!!!!!
Here, Violet, you can put this up on the bulletin board. Thanks, Roz, I know just where to 'stick' it.

User avatar
Jetstar3D
Shiner
Posts: 1218
Location: Sidewinder, Michigan

Post by Jetstar3D » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:45 pm

LongLiveQuarterMoon wrote:Zohie LOOK he's in the door!!!!!

I was going to say the same thing!

User avatar
Architect of light 75
Father Bolen's son
Posts: 2405
Location: It depends ;-)

Post by Architect of light 75 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:49 am

No, that's not me, come on..

Haven't you seen the movie ?

It's the shape from the dream they all have.. this one.. but the shape looked kind of modern 20 years later..

Image

Cheers :idea:

LongLiveQuarterMoon wrote:Zohie LOOK he's in the door!!!!!
Image
:rotate: http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard ... php?t=4373

"[..] It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step."

*Architect Of Light :idea:

User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room
Posts: 703

Post by Amit Y Ville » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:30 pm

I've hounded Architect for months about this as I've been a huge fan of that film for years. Well I wouldn't say that but... it's one of the few horror movies which really has an effect on me.

This film as well as being faithful to John Carpenter's Apocalyptic trio has dark imagery and religious references to doomsday and the return of the devil. It has some eerie imagery and uses some quite frankly disturbing lighting effects, and a synth soundtrack which is enough to scare the bejeesus out of me every time I hear it...

I don't think Prince Of Darkness is as good as The Thing, in terms of acting or storyline - The Thing is hands down my favourite movie. Prince is downright disturbing though and is the epitome of fear for me.

Great pics, I really enjoyed. Did you know there's also an article about it at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/article/378 ? Your pics were better quality though!

Thanks! :P

User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room
Posts: 703

Post by Amit Y Ville » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:53 pm

Question.

Can you walk round the side where there's an alley in which that dude gets impaled on the bike?

User avatar
Jetstar3D
Shiner
Posts: 1218
Location: Sidewinder, Michigan

Post by Jetstar3D » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:56 pm

Is it just me or does this look like the same place certain scenes in Nightmare on Elm Street 3:The Dream Warriors were filmed? (Scene where Heather Langenkamp talks with Dr.Gordan and then sees the nun(s) walking...

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/images ... /pod17.jpg

User avatar
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul
Posts: 11904

Post by Dan the Damned » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:33 pm

My favorite part of PoD was when that homeless guy gave the warning and then fell apart -- his body comprised of roaches.

I saw that movie at the world famous Chinese Theater in Hollywood -- just down the street from where I'm sitting!

(well, okay, its maybe a 45 min jaunt, as the "street" I refer to is called the 5 freeway, and it runs the length of the North and South American continents...)

User avatar
Architect of light 75
Father Bolen's son
Posts: 2405
Location: It depends ;-)

Post by Architect of light 75 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:36 am

Hey guys, how are you ?

Do you like my pix so ?

I'm a big fan of this movie as well man, I understand your point.
Dan the Damned wrote:My favorite part of PoD was when that homeless guy gave the warning and then fell apart -- his body comprised of roaches.

I saw that movie at the world famous Chinese Theater in Hollywood -- just down the street from where I'm sitting!

(well, okay, its maybe a 45 min jaunt, as the "street" I refer to is called the 5 freeway, and it runs the length of the North and South American continents...)
Yeah Dan, I agree, this part of the movie is great, very 80's!!

I also agree with your comment about the movie's quality Amit Y Ville. It could have been written way better but it's still an amazing flick.

Ho yeah I also walked all the way around the church where Alice Cooper's character impales the guy with the bike (bike that Cooper used onstage for some of his concerts too), inside and even inside from the back since the guys were cool and told me I could enter (it's a theater). I'll post some more pix soon, watch out!!

Cheers :idea:

Amit Y Ville wrote:I've hounded Architect for months about this as I've been a huge fan of that film for years. Well I wouldn't say that but... it's one of the few horror movies which really has an effect on me.

This film as well as being faithful to John Carpenter's Apocalyptic trio has dark imagery and religious references to doomsday and the return of the devil. It has some eerie imagery and uses some quite frankly disturbing lighting effects, and a synth soundtrack which is enough to scare the bejeesus out of me every time I hear it...

I don't think Prince Of Darkness is as good as The Thing, in terms of acting or storyline - The Thing is hands down my favourite movie. Prince is downright disturbing though and is the epitome of fear for me.

Great pics, I really enjoyed. Did you know there's also an article about it at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/article/378 ? Your pics were better quality though!

Thanks! :P
Amit Y Ville wrote:Question.

Can you walk round the side where there's an alley in which that dude gets impaled on the bike?
Image
:rotate: http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard ... php?t=4373

"[..] It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step."

*Architect Of Light :idea:

User avatar
BellWitch74
Ruined Doll
Posts: 1940
Location: Wonderland

Post by BellWitch74 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:13 am

I've never seen this movie. I've heard about it, heard that it was scary, etc. but I have yet to see it.

Pics are great, btw!
Madness starts here.
Malice in Wonderland

User avatar
Architect of light 75
Father Bolen's son
Posts: 2405
Location: It depends ;-)

Post by Architect of light 75 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:25 am

Hey Legendary BellWitch!

How are you ? I was missing your posts!!!

:D

Thanks for the comment. Watch the movie when you can. It's certainly not the best horror flick technically speaking but one my favourite because of the speech on the Catholic church and much more.

Pretty cheesy with cool-bloody FX and amaZing atmosphere most of the time. Look out for Alice Cooper as one of the weirdos in the street and with his special bike!!!

See you cute Miss in Pink, take care :idea:

BellWitch74 wrote:I've never seen this movie. I've heard about it, heard that it was scary, etc. but I have yet to see it.

Pics are great, btw!
:rotate: http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard ... php?t=4373

"[..] It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step."

*Architect Of Light :idea:

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9836
Contact:

Re: Tribute to John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness"

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:56 am

Watched the movie again last night, cheers for the pics, Arch!

User avatar
Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di
Posts: 4300
Location: Athens, Texas

Re: Tribute to John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness"

Post by Howard64 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:19 am

I have this movie as well. Nice pictures!!

I may watch this again here soon:)
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of
the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

User avatar
Architect of light 75
Father Bolen's son
Posts: 2405
Location: It depends ;-)

Re: Tribute to John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness"

Post by Architect of light 75 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:29 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:Watched the movie again last night, cheers for the pics, Arch!
Howard64 wrote:I have this movie as well. Nice pictures!!

I may watch this again here soon:)
Hi guys,

How are you doing ?

I love that creepy movie, really. It was so cool to visit the church in L.A. I took some other pix of me imitating the actors at the exact place they were on pictures from the movie I took with me, do you want to see them ?
:rotate: http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard ... php?t=4373

"[..] It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step."

*Architect Of Light :idea:

User avatar
sherbetbizarre
Administrator
Posts: 9836
Contact:

Re: Tribute to John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness"

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:53 am

Yep, while the movie is still fresh in my mind!

User avatar
BellWitch74
Ruined Doll
Posts: 1940
Location: Wonderland

Re: Tribute to John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness"

Post by BellWitch74 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:23 am

I watched this over the weekend and I couldn't focus on it at all. It was creepy and all but I just couldn't get into it.
Madness starts here.
Malice in Wonderland

User avatar
eber3
complete jackass
Posts: 932
Location: Behind your couch

Re: Tribute to John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness"

Post by eber3 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:53 am

I like the movie, and the building is interesting looking, but I never thought it looked like a church. Other than the cross on top and the stained glass windows on the sides, which could have been added later, it looks more like a bank or a government building. Does anybody know if it started out as something other than a church?

User avatar
Amit Y Ville
Streaming on Twitch from the red room
Posts: 703

Re: Tribute to John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness"

Post by Amit Y Ville » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:12 pm

Its been over five years but would love to see more pics from Archutect which he mentioned above.
Had to have high, high hopes for a living - Panic! At The Disco

Post Reply