Cryptozoology and Bigfoot: The Movies

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:52 pm

I used to be real interested in Bigfoot when I was a kid. Bigfoot, ghosts and UFOs. I'd quite often ride my bike to the local "B-Movie" theater to watch those low-budget documentaries about Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster and UFOs - movies like "Bigfoot: The Mysterious Monster" and "The Outer Space Connection." The genre of documentaries that spawned the "In Search Of" series...

In fact, when "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" was released, I thought it was another one of these Schick Sun documentaries (which often showed long re-enactments and dramatizations of reported events) - only better-made. I think I was half-way through watching the film before I realized it was just a regular fictional movie. lol

Victor Fries
Heart of Ice

Post by Victor Fries » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:29 am

Hey Dan,

I use to love the old Sunfilm stuff. Do you remember the Charles Berlitz's The Bermuda Triangle movie? I still got that on tape from when it was on TBS.
[color=blue]Think of it...To never again walk on a warm summers day and feel a hot wind on your face. Oh, yes...I'd kill for that.[/color]

[img]http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa128/zombie_carnage/frezgif.gif[/img]

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:52 pm

I forget a lot of the titles. Not totally sure if I saw that one, but I bet I did. I remember seeing at least one movie about the Bermuda Triangle at that old Redondo Beach B-movie theater (sadly no longer there).

I was a frequent visitor there, and saw all those old 70s flicks, like "Fantastic Animation Festival" and "Billy Jack." As a kid I used to haunt that place. And then as a teen, I went back once, taking a date to see "Nightmare on Elm Street."

I watched "The Mysterious Monsters" again yesterday. First time in decades. Its hosted by Peter Graves - and the narration is written in such a manner as to make you believe Peter Graves is not just the host, but the lead investigator in the hunt for Bigfoot.

Its hilariously dated. Lots of fun. I think that genre of film is ripe for parody.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Re: Cryptozoology and Bigfoot

Post by Dan the Damned » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:33 pm

# 13 wrote:AHHH Sasquatch, now you are talking my language.

I have been obsessed with the Sasquatch mystery since the tender age of 5 or 6. I have most of those documentarys from the 70s including "the Mysterious Monsters", the "In Search Of" episodes and "Monsters, Mysteries or Man" as well as newer ones. The Schick Sun stuff was great!!!!!
I watched "The Mysterious Monsters" the other day, and there was a scene where a young woman is watching TV alone in the living room. Behind her, we watch Bigfoot's shadow moving across the window shade as he strolls along the patio outside. A minute later, Bigfoot smashes his hand through a window and blindly thrashes his arm about, smashing the items on a nearby end table - not unlike my dad trying to silence the alarm clock in the morning.

It reminded me of a similar scene from one of these 70s flicks, which I was hoping would also be in this film. In it, some people were trapped in a house that was being pelted by stones (thrown by troubled Bigfoot teenage delinquents, I guess). And another scene showed a guy going to the bathroom, and a (possibly homosexual) Bigfoot smashes down the bathroom wall to be with him (it might have been an outhouse)...

Do you remember those scenes, too? If so, which Bigfoot movie were they from?

# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Post by # 13 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:10 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:
# 13 wrote: It reminded me of a similar scene from one of these 70s flicks, which I was hoping would also be in this film. In it, some people were trapped in a house that was being pelted by stones (thrown by troubled Bigfoot teenage delinquents, I guess). And another scene showed a guy going to the bathroom, and a (possibly homosexual) Bigfoot smashes down the bathroom wall to be with him (it might have been an outhouse)...

I don't remember the homosexual Sasquatch (inset Seinfeld quote here "Not that there is anything wrong with that") :lol:

The only thing close that I can think of is in the "Legend of Boggy Creek" where this guy (Bobby Ford) goes to the bathroom and a hairy hand comes through the window.

I don't remember a house in a movie being pelted by stones although there was a famous case where Fred Beck and some miners were assulted by "some things" throwing large bolders down on their cabin in 1924 (I think that is the date) in Washington State.

I am, however, always buying movies on the subject and I will let you know if I come across it.
"Either the most complex and sophisticated hoax in the history of Anthropology has continued for centuries without being exposed or the most manlike and largest non human primate has managed to survive in parts of North America and remains undiscovered by modern science."
Prof G.W.Gill - President of the American Board of Forensic Anthropology

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:54 pm

Ah - it was probably "Boggy Creek" that I was remembering. Haven't seen that one since the 70s. I was reading where it usually was a double-feature with "Bigfoot: The Mysterious Monster," so I probably saw them together.

They mentioned the "stone-throwing" incident in "Mysterious Monsters," but I remembered a dramatization. But it could have been an episode of "In Search Of" just as easily...

dwighttrenfield
Amityville Addict

Post by dwighttrenfield » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:19 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:
It reminded me of a similar scene from one of these 70s flicks, which I was hoping would also be in this film. In it, some people were trapped in a house that was being pelted by stones (thrown by troubled Bigfoot teenage delinquents, I guess). And another scene showed a guy going to the bathroom, and a (possibly homosexual) Bigfoot smashes down the bathroom wall to be with him (it might have been an outhouse)...

Dan, it sounds like you mean to describe either "The Legend of Boggy Creek" or "Boggy Creek II: The Legend Continues". The first movie had the hairy hand coming in to a bathroom and living room area while the other one had a scene with some poor guy in an outhouse soiling himself to get away from the creature with his precious Sears catalog in tow. Last time I looked the movies were still available on Amazon for purchase.

A note of interest though regarding the first Boggy Creek movie was that many of the residents in Fouke said many of the incidents portrayed in the film never occurred or were highly dramatized. The creature doesn't bother anyone or kill anyone's pets nor does it stick its hands through windows or destroy outhouses. Also, regarding "Boggy Creek II: The Legend Continues" is that it is actually the third movie according to what Mike Nelson said on one of the MST3K box sets (number 5?).

I believe the so-called "monster" is supposed to be a skunk ape, a relation of the Sasquatch. Those are supposed to be native to the southern part of the USA and Fouke and Texarkana are in the areas it supposedly inhabits.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?" -- Edgar Allan Poe

# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Post by # 13 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:14 pm

Brendan72 wrote: Hey there and thanks for your input. I have bookmarked those sites for later viewing. And yeah it would be great if you could let me know when you have the YouTube vids up for viewing.
No Problem...I will let you know when I put the stuff up on You Tube. I have hours of Sasquatch stuff and several Mbs of articles and pictures as well. Like I said, I will talk Sasquatch anytime. :D
"Either the most complex and sophisticated hoax in the history of Anthropology has continued for centuries without being exposed or the most manlike and largest non human primate has managed to survive in parts of North America and remains undiscovered by modern science."

# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Post by # 13 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:34 pm

Dan the Damned wrote: And another scene showed a guy going to the bathroom, and a (possibly homosexual) Bigfoot smashes down the bathroom wall to be with him (it might have been an outhouse)...

And now for your feature presentation:

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:25 pm

Thanks for that. That's pretty much exactly what I remember - but I probably hid my eyes once I saw the hand come up ('cause I thought there was more damage, and I thought you saw the monster's head through the window).

Funny how the guy in the bathroom takes a while to react to a huge hairy hand coming through the window.

And funny, too, how he was sitting on the john all set to poop through his underwear.

OrangeNblack
MR-LA-DJ

Post by OrangeNblack » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:53 am

I found this cool dvd at Walmart called, "Bigfoot Terror".
It has four movies on it:
"Search For The Beast" 1997
"The Legend Of Bigfoot" 1976
"Shriek Of The Mutilated" 1974
"The Capture Of Bigfoot" 1979

The movies are so much fun to watch.
I will have to admit that some of the scenes in "The Legend Of Bigfoot" are kind of creepy.
The man tracking Bigfoot, Ivan Marx gives a creepy, good narration.
I keep thinking how scary it would be to be out there alone and actually see that thing!...lol.

The dvd was $5.00, and Walmart had quite a few of them in the bins that have dvd's for under $10.00.
"Keep the colors of orange and black in your heart year round.
I love Halloween."

# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Post by # 13 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:14 am

OrangeNblack wrote:I found this cool dvd at Walmart called, "Bigfoot Terror".
It has four movies on it:
"Search For The Beast" 1997
"The Legend Of Bigfoot" 1976
"Shriek Of The Mutilated" 1974
"The Capture Of Bigfoot" 1979

The movies are so much fun to watch.
I will have to admit that some of the scenes in "The Legend Of Bigfoot" are kind of creepy.
The man tracking Bigfoot, Ivan Marx gives a creepy, good narration.
I keep thinking how scary it would be to be out there alone and actually see that thing!...lol.

The dvd was $5.00, and Walmart had quite a few of them in the bins that have dvd's for under $10.00.
Man I have been lookin for that. I have the Ivan Marx one but I want the other 3. There is another set which I think is called "Bigfoot Horror" or "Sasquatch Horror" and it has 3 or 4 movie on it too. I forget the movie titles. I wish I could find a jem like that in my Wal Mart....what am I saying, thats where I bought "The Legend of Boggy Creek". I saw it and didn't know it was out on dvd and pounced on it quicker than Bobby made it out of that bathroom :lol:

Ivan Marx actually had another movie out that I have, but I can't remember the name. I will have to look and get back with you. Maybe I can post a scene or two.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:12 am

# 13 wrote:I wish I could find a jem like that in my Wal Mart....what am I saying, thats where I bought "The Legend of Boggy Creek". I saw it and didn't know it was out on dvd and pounced on it quicker than Bobby made it out of that bathroom
:lol: :lol:

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:54 am

While looking for anothr disc, I saw a DVD in my collection that I forgot about - titled "Curse of Bigfoot." Another of those cheap 1970s documentaries.

Its still in its shrinkwrap. Who knows when I bought it. lol

On the back cover is a screen shot of a scene I remember (a reinactment of a bigfoot monster crossing the road ahead of an approaching car, seen from the driver's perspective). So I think I must have seen this 30 years ago as well. I'll watch it later today and see if maybe it has that scene with the people trapped in the house by rock-throwing bigfoots/bigfeet/whatever...

The back of the DVD cover says: Curse of Bigfoot is one of a handful of inexpensive, quickly-made movies from the 1970s which were intended to cash-in on the Sasquatch craze - so bad, it becomes quite entertaining in it's awfulness. Apparently pieced together from two (or more) separate projects, with atrocious acting, leaden pacing, a threadbare plot, and $1.98 monster makeup, there's something here for every "bad movie" lover to enjoy! They really know how to sell a film, huh? ;)

Anyone remember the movie "War of the Gargantuas"? They looked an awful lot like bigfoot (if bigfoot was able to grow as big as godzilla)...

# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Post by # 13 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:37 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:While looking for anothr disc, I saw a DVD in my collection that I forgot about - titled "Curse of Bigfoot." Another of those cheap 1970s documentaries.

Anyone remember the movie "War of the Gargantuas"? They looked an awful lot like bigfoot (if bigfoot was able to grow as big as godzilla)...
The Curse of Bigfoot is one I have not seen. I will eventually buy it on Ebay or find it in the $5 bin at Wal Mart some day.

"War of the Gargantuas"!!!!!! THAT MOVIE ROCKS!!!!!! Do you have that? That is a hard one to find. Oh Ya I remember it, a brown one and a green one right? I think the green one was the bad one. Do you remember when he picked up that dude, bit his head off and threw him down in anger cause he had stringy meat or something Man thats some good stuff I mean it don't get no better than that sh....................wow, did I just write that? :oops:

Yes I remember it (whispers) if you know were to get it, let me know. :wink:

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:28 pm

"War of the Gargantuas" was a childhood favorite. In the early 70s, local LA station KTLA broadcast it 5 days one week (not sure why, but I think I caught every showing).

I spent a bunch of money some years back on ebay getting a hold of this movie. I bought a professionally-released VHS of the movie, then I bought a home-made VHS from some guy who edited-in scenes from the original film back into the American version.

The original was a Japanese film called "Frankenstein's Monsters: Sanda versus Gaira" and the film was re-edited for American release.

But in the end, all I ended up saving was a copy of WOTG that I captured from AMC a couple of years ago. The videotapes were nice, but full of tracking problems. Aside from the monsters shown eating (and chewing) people (and picking the clothes from their teeth), I think the best thing about this movie is the music. That great brass Japanese monster movie score.

Perhaps my favorite scene is when the people look over the edge of their boat and see the giant face of the green gargantua smiling up at them, ready to kill...

But getting back to "Curse of Bigfoot" - boy, was that cover warning dead on target. The acting is so horrible, and the pacing is dreadful. It is such a horrible movie. I started watching it earlier, but had to stop at one point because I just started laughing uncontrollably at one scene. I had to stop and upload the scene to youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IHvjSbHLm4

# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Post by # 13 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:25 pm

Dan the Damned wrote: But getting back to "Curse of Bigfoot" - boy, was that cover warning dead on target. The acting is so horrible, and the pacing is dreadful. It is such a horrible movie. I started watching it earlier, but had to stop at one point because I just started laughing uncontrollably at one scene. I had to stop and upload the scene to youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IHvjSbHLm4
Oh that was painfully awesome!!!!!!

I love the young Peter Frampton lookin dude telling them that the Griffin was invented in Germany and than Richard Cranium coming in to berate him with no acting skills what so ever.... I'm still rolling.......I gotta own it :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the near future I will upload even more great Sasquatch B movie moments to love and cringe over as well.

And I also want to apoligize to Brendan72 that this thread has degenerated into a B monster movie fest. I will let you know whan I have uploaded more serious Sasquatch, Yeti, Yowie content for your veiwing.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Yes, when Richard Cranium spoke his first line - that's when I started cracking up! :lol:

Brendan, if you want, I can split this topic and move all the off-topic stuff to its own thread. Let me know.

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:44 am

Hi Dan - the discussion about the movies relating to Bigfoot, both questionable and otherwise, is both on-topic and off-topic as well so it's difficult for me to say whether it should be split or not ... :(

But the discussion about the movies made on bigfoot are really interesting ... I had no idea that they made so many crappy movies on the topic ... it's a bit like Amityville that way.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:03 am

Yeah, back in the mid-1970s there was a boom in movies about bigfoot, UFOs, the Loch Ness Monster and the end of the world. Even then-President Jimmy Carter claimed he saw a UFO once. I was around 11 years old back then, and I'd see most of those movies. I can't remember, however, how big the crowd was in the theater with me for those films. I've been trying to call-up a mental image, but I think there were just too many movies I saw at that one theater - maybe that's why I'm drawing a blank...

# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Post by # 13 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:04 pm

Brendan72 wrote: But the discussion about the movies made on bigfoot are really interesting ... I had no idea that they made so many crappy movies on the topic ... it's a bit like Amityville that way.
Hey Brendan72

Check out this link. Sasquatch B movies for days. Heres the funny thing, I own alot of these. :lol: They might have even missed a few:

http://www.mjsimpson.co.uk/bigfootfilmog.html

I call it "Squatchploitation"

Huh....huh...should I copyright that or what? :lol: