Cryptozoology and Bigfoot

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:55 pm

Bigfoot nothing but a rubber costume
August 20, 2008 - 8:35AM

The supposed corpse of Bigfoot has been revealed as nothing but a rubber costume, and the two US men who boasted about its discovery are now - like the real Bigfoot - missing, an investigator says.

Matthew Whitton and Ricky Dyer, announced to the world last weekend that they had found a corpse of the legendary ape-like creature in a secret forest location in their home state of Georgia.

But the organisation that arranged that press conference, Searching for Bigfoot Inc, says it was all "a lie" and a "fraud".

Investigator Steve Kulls wrote on the Searching for Bigfoot website that, after the supposed frozen corpse was examined on Sunday, it was found to be a fake.

"I extracted some [hair] from the alleged corpse and examined it and had some concerns," he wrote.

"We burned said sample and said hair sample melted into a ball uncharacteristic of hair.

"At that time we contacted [Searching for Bigfoot CEO Tom Biscardi, who was present at the press conference] who gave us permission to begin an expedited melting process.

"Within one hour we were able to see the partially exposed head, as I was now able to touch it, I was able to feel that it seemed mostly firm, but unusually hollow in one small section. This was yet another ominous sign.

"As the team and I began examining this area near the feet, I observed the foot which looked unnatural, reached in and confirmed it was a rubber foot.

"Later that day, Tom Biscardi informed us that both Matthew Whitton and Ricky Dyer admitted it was a costume."

Mr Whitton and Mr Dyer agreed to meet Mr Biscardi at a hotel later that day to provide a written admission of what they had done, Mr Kulls said.

But when Mr Biscardi arrived at the hotel, the pair had vanished, he said.

"The motives behind this fraud are still unknown at this time," Mr Kulls said.

"It is still unclear why Whitton who, being a police officer for the Clayton County Police Department in Georgia, got up before the world and lied and was complicit in a scheme to defraud in a felonious manner."

It was also revealed that Mr Biscardi paid an "undisclosed sum" to Mr Whitton and Mr Dyer as an advance on the returns expected from the "marketing and promotion" of the Bigfoot discovery announcement.

FoxNews.com reported the sum was rumoured to be $US50,000 ($57,000).

Loren Coleman, who runs Cryptomundo - a website devoted to cryptozoology, the study of hidden animals - said the whole scam appeared to be about money.

Despite the message on Mr Biscardi's company's website, which distanced him from the fraud, Mr Coleman said he was likely to have been part of the sham.

"He's a huckster, a circus ringmaster," he told FoxNews.com.

"It's all about money with him. It probably didn't matter to him whether it was real or not.

"[Mr Whitton and Mr Dyer] probably started out small, as a way to promote their Bigfoot tracking business, and got in way over their heads.

"These are not very intelligent individuals."

Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Post by Chichibcc » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:59 pm

A rubber suit??? This was the best these guys could do???

Perhaps instead of looking to make money, they should have been more concerned about raising their IQ's instead-they need a boost.

fairlyodd_58
Earthbender

Post by fairlyodd_58 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:17 pm

JODY FRIEND
Amityville Addict

Post by JODY FRIEND » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:48 pm

i know few things of big foot, i like more yeti

Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Post by Chichibcc » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:58 pm

JODY FRIEND wrote:i know few things of big foot, i like more yeti
Let's hope no one tries to make a hoax out of the Yeti yet, either, if it hasn't been done already...I wouldn't be surprised.

# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Post by # 13 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:44 pm

chichibcc wrote:A rubber suit??? This was the best these guys could do???

Perhaps instead of looking to make money, they should have been more concerned about raising their IQ's instead-they need a boost.
Those boys took a hoax, a prank if you will way to far. I have no clue what they were thinking.
"Either the most complex and sophisticated hoax in the history of Anthropology has continued for centuries without being exposed or the most manlike and largest non human primate has managed to survive in parts of North America and remains undiscovered by modern science."
Prof G.W.Gill - President of the American Board of Forensic Anthropology

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:10 pm

I was watching their videotaped apology on the news last night. They were saying it was a joke -- that they bought a Bigfoot costume, filled it with raw meat, and filmed it for YouTube.

But then when scientists asked to examine their Bigfoot corpse, they said they just got caught up in the moment.
INTERVIEWER: Did you ever intend to put this across as the real deal?

RICK DYER: No, sir. Its Bigfoot. Bigfoot don't exist.
But if they were doing this hoax just for a YouTube video, why would they need to fill the costume up with raw meat??? :?

Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Post by Chichibcc » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:08 pm

Videotaped apology???

I thought these guys had ran off and disappeared....unless they finally gave themselves up.

And to go through all that trouble just to make a YouTube video???? Yeah right.

These guys couldn't tell a decent lie if their lives depended on it...

OrangeNblack
MR-LA-DJ

Post by OrangeNblack » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:57 am

What's so interesting about this Big Foot capture is that several movie companies have given an interest in it.
Who knows, maybe a new horror film about the famous creature is in the works.

Several of the entertainment news programs, "Entertainment Tonight", "E: Entertainment" have had many segments about the Big Foot capture.
I love the subject of Big Foot and saw where Ellen talked about it on her show.
She asked many of her audience members if they believed.
I was surprised that some of them did.
They mentioned that Lion's Gate Entertainment is interested in the subject of Big Foot since so many people have tuned to see what this creature is that was captured.
"Keep the colors of orange and black in your heart year round.
I love Halloween."

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:19 pm

chichibcc wrote:Videotaped apology???

I thought these guys had ran off and disappeared...
Yes. It looked like a local news crew was interviewing them somewhere, and they apologized and said it was just a prank. They also said the guy who was a cop was either suspended or fired for his part in the prank.

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:45 am

That kind of prank by the two idiots from Georgia puts the genuine research on cryptozoology back a few notches. The real genuine researchers and people who are trying to genuinely prove its existence as being real are having their credibility severely damaged.

It's not good to be compared with two idiots who put a gorilla costume filled with meat inside a bathtub, not when you go out into the woods for days on end trying to do some genuine research ...

It's alot like UFO sightings being revealed as a hoax - people will just write it off as crap like the rest of the UFO sightings, irrespective of their authenticity.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:16 am

Bigfoot in a Freezer - Fortean Times round-up.
On 9 July, a group of friends posted a video on YouTube claiming that around a month earlier, on 10 June, they had stumbled upon a dead Bigfoot at a location “in deep woods” in northern Georgia, USA. Later that month, one of the Georgia group, Rick Dyer of Forest Park, went on an Internet radio show called Sasquatch Detective to claim that it had taken a day and a half to drag the carcass seven miles (11km) through the woods to the nearest road, where they then preserved the body in a freezer full of ice. Dyer went on to say his group – later described as having “military and law enforcement backgrounds” – also had “clear photos and video” of a Bigfoot family seen in the same undisclosed area. In answer to listeners’ quest­ions, Dyer added that they had already had an offer of $10 million for the carcass.

The released images of a hairy humanoid corpse stuffed into a freezer initially excited the hopes of many, but ultimately convinced few. The story sparked public arguments between established Bigfoot researchers and the Georgia group, who defended themselves aggressively in the face of mounting criticism and searching questions. The full story of the resulting media storm can be followed on Loren Coleman’s blog.

During a press conference held in a Palo Alto, California, hotel on 15 August, attended by nearly 100 press and TV reporters and a man in a gorilla suit who shouted questions, Dyer – a former corrections officer who also runs a ‘Bigfoot tours’ business – said: “There’s a lot of comment being made that it looks fake, or it looks like a suit, but these people weren’t there when I was sweating, pulling this thing through the woods.” The conference was arranged by Tom Biscardi, a Californian Bigfoot promoter, who three years earlier in 2005 had claimed to be party to the capture of a creat­ure, and only on the eve of being exposed on George Noory’s Coast to Coast radio show, did he excuse himself as having been “scammed by a woman in Nevada”.

Back to the present, and the press conference did not go well for the good old boys from Georgia. As the bubble of the first, uncritical exposure on national and international media burst, the ridicule began and the prospects of making money from their pictures, film and freezer ‘tableau’ rapidly dwindled. Biscardi, who had gone to Atlanta to see the latest ‘corpse’, did not help when he told reporters: “I touched it. This is ‘Eureka!’ man.”

Then Dyer’s press-conference partner Matthew Whitton, a police officer on sick leave, had to acknowledge that he had created suspect videos for YouTube, in one of which his brother posed as a scientist, and another in which he seems to admit that the body is a fake. He then said it was made “to throw off” their critics (whom he called “psychos” and “stalkers”), by which he seemed to mean anyone in the cryptozoology camp who had made overtly sceptical comments about the object in the freezer. When asked how much money they hoped to make, Biscardi chipped in with: “As much as we can”. He was certainly charging viewers of his website premium rates to watch dubious video footage.

The dénouement to this unsavoury saga came quickly, but not before Biscardi bought the ‘corpse’ from Dyer and Whitton for an “undisclosed sum”. Only then (on 17 August) did he send a colleague, self-styled ‘Sasquatch detective’ Steve Kulls, to examine it more closely. As the block of ice was thawed, Kulls took samples of hair and burned them; he was surprised to find they melted. As the feet were exposed, Kulls reached into the freezer to feel them. They were made of rubber!

On 19 August, Fox News revealed publicly what everyone now suspected: the ‘body’ was a widely-available hire costume that had been stuffed with road kill and then frozen, possibly inspired by the ‘look and smell’ of the famous ‘Minnesota Iceman’ that had so impressed cryptozoology’s founders Dr Bernard Heuvelmans and Ivan Sanderson. Kulls reported the bad news to Biscardi, but by the time he got to Dyer and Whitton’s hotel the pair had already checked out. Without any sense of irony, Biscardi said he would be seeking legal redress.

The exasperated groans of serious cryptozoologists, who had seen such wild claims before, could be heard across the web. Coleman told FT that the public interest in this “Piltdown of Sasquatchery” was so great that possibly 85 per cent of the “server’s forums, websites, and blogs [concerning Bigfoot] crashed and had to be rebuilt from 12 August through 18 August”. The Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization, the oldest group of its kind – which had distanced itself from the Georgia group early on – acknow­ledged that this hoax will linger for a long time, awakened by each Google search for ‘Bigfoot’. In time, though, they hoped, serious research into North American manimals would recover and continue, much as ufology did after the ‘Alien Autopsy’ hoax.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:15 pm

He then said it was made “to throw off” their critics (whom he called “psychos” and “stalkers”)...
Yes. I make a wild claim in public about something that millions of people have been seeking answers to for many many years. But I will hide proof of my claim. I know this claim will drum up a great deal of interest.

If the interested parties agree with my claim, and follow me all over the internet saying as much, then they are okay. If they hound me with questions I can't answer, or publicly disagree with my claim, or try to discover evidence of my claim, then they are psychos and stalkers.

Those who need proof of something are psychos, and those who try to discover their own evidence are stalkers...

# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Post by # 13 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:51 am

Brendan72 wrote:That kind of prank by the two idiots from Georgia puts the genuine research on cryptozoology back a few notches. The real genuine researchers and people who are trying to genuinely prove its existence as being real are having their credibility severely damaged.
Could not have said it better myself!!!!
"Either the most complex and sophisticated hoax in the history of Anthropology has continued for centuries without being exposed or the most manlike and largest non human primate has managed to survive in parts of North America and remains undiscovered by modern science."

# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Post by # 13 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:54 am

OrangeNblack wrote:What's so interesting about this Big Foot capture is that several movie companies have given an interest in it.

They mentioned that Lion's Gate Entertainment is interested in the subject of Big Foot since so many people have tuned to see what this creature is that was captured.
I would still go see it even though I knew it was the story about a hoax.

Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Post by Chichibcc » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:08 pm

# 13 wrote:
OrangeNblack wrote:What's so interesting about this Big Foot capture is that several movie companies have given an interest in it.

You would? Why?

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:45 pm

chichibcc wrote:A rubber suit??? This was the best these guys could do???

That would require a miracle performed by someone of exceptional ability ... and since there were two individuals involved in this fiasco with limited intellect then that would elevate such a person with exceptional ability to the status of sainthood.

And really since Saint's aren't proclaimed to such a level until they are dead are these two individuals really worth waiting till death to reach Sainthood? I think not.
- Brendan72

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:46 pm

# 13 wrote:

I believe a Gorilla-gram would be cheaper ... and more amusing.
- Brendan72

# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Post by # 13 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:38 pm

chichibcc wrote:
# 13 wrote:

You would? Why?
I guess to see how it morphed into the fiasco it became, what those guys were thinking and how things got so out of hand. I guess the one guy, a cop, lost his job over it. When it comes to Sasquatch, I want to hear everything, good or bad, hoax or reported truth. Make any sense?

OrangeNblack
MR-LA-DJ

Post by OrangeNblack » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:32 pm

People love the urban legends of Big Foot just like they love UFO's and Nessie from Loch Ness.

Big Foot stories are creepy and some of the old 70's movies are scary.

People enjoy movies and tales of things that can't be explained.
The show, "Ghost Hunters" is very popular even though they never capture a ghost...people tune in to see if they might.

Big foot will always be a popular topic.
I love Halloween."

OrangeNblack
MR-LA-DJ

Post by OrangeNblack » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:50 am

Hi everyone-
Not sure if you all have dollar stores in your area.
I went to the "Dollar Tree" today and they had out a lot of Halloween merchandise.
They have these huge cutouts of Big Foot's face.
It is so cool!
They stick to windows.
I put one in my front room window and parted the curtin.
Looks creepy.

It looks like whoever made these cutouts, took a picture from a Big Foot movie.
The face is full color, with the hair matted and dirty, and the look overall is awsome.
Very creepy, eery, thing to put in a window.
I love Halloween."