Cryptozoology and Bigfoot

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville

Re: Cryptozoology and Bigfoot

Postby sherbetbizarre » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:41 pm

‘Squatch Watch: 92 Years of Bigfoot Sightings in the US and Canada

Every now and then a dataset comes along that just has to be mapped. This is one of those times.

Bigfoot. Sasquatch. Skookum. Yahoo. Whatever you call it, the towering man-like ape is a folklore staple. From stories of Yeti in the Himalayas to Wildmen in the Pacific Northwest, people have been talking about and trying to find the creature for ages. Occasionally, some form of evidence – like Patterson’s famous 1967 film – emerges and either feeds our fascination or gets dismissed as a hoax. In either case, it’s easy to see why believers search for proof and skeptics remain doubtful.

Through archival work and reports submitted directly to their website, the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization has amassed a database of thousands of sasquatch sightings. Each report is geocoded and timestamped. Occasionally, even photos and videos of the alleged evidence are included. I’m not quite sure how I stumbled across this, but I’m glad I did.

After crawling the data and converting it to a more convenient format, I mapped and graphed all 3,313 sightings that were reported from 1921 to 2013:

http://www.joshuastevens.net/visualizat ... nd-canada/
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby sherbetbizarre » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:35 pm

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby Brendan72 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:38 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:

Interesting ... the first two snippets are possibles however the last two of the close ups, I think is probably another animal ... possibly a gorilla.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)
Brendan72
Forest Giant

Postby # 13 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:32 pm

IT'S BAAAAAAAACCCCCKKKKK!!! Finding Bigfoot Season 4 WHOOT

The show we all love to hate is back with Season 4 on November 10th. Be there or...........have a life LOL. Yes, once again we can all assume that a rabbit bounding away was really a "Squatch" :dance:

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/finding-bigfoot

Oh hell, I'll watch it. I'll gobble up anything "Squatch" that anyone spoon feeds me. I just don't believe it all. I do like the team though, espically Cliff and Renee.
"Either the most complex and sophisticated hoax in the history of Anthropology has continued for centuries without being exposed or the most manlike and largest non human primate has managed to survive in parts of North America and remains undiscovered by modern science."
Prof G.W.Gill - President of the American Board of Forensic Anthropology
# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Postby sherbetbizarre » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:13 pm

This is the photo that Rick Dyer released today, purporting it to be the face of “Hank”, the Bigfoot he shot and is about to tour the country with.

http://www.cryptomundo.com/bigfoot-repo ... e-of-hank/

:lol:
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Postby Brendan72 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:47 am

I just don't believe that a Bigfoot would call himself Hank ... I mean, seriously?
- Brendan72

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Postby # 13 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:06 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:
This is the photo that Rick Dyer released today, purporting it to be the face of “Hank”, the Bigfoot he shot and is about to tour the country with.

http://www.cryptomundo.com/bigfoot-repo ... e-of-hank/

:lol:

I can't tell if this guy has brass balls or mental issues!!!

The problem with all of this is a previous case where Dyer was apparently involved in what turned out to be a Bigfoot hoax in 2008. An alleged Bigfoot body -- that Dyer and an associate claimed to have -- was exposed as a rubber ape suit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/0 ... 38307.html
"Either the most complex and sophisticated hoax in the history of Anthropology has continued for centuries without being exposed or the most manlike and largest non human primate has managed to survive in parts of North America and remains undiscovered by modern science."
# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Postby # 13 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:27 pm

What does anyone think of this? I thought it was pretty compelling. I like it's gait as it stolls off, very bipedal.

I then reviewed the comments and alot of people think its "Oliver" the chimp (I must confess, I had to Google Oliver the chimp). OK, so maybe its a chimp. Even if it is, it raises the question "is that what Sasquatch really is, a form of chimpanzee.......or ape?" Check it out and tell me what you think:

# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Postby Victoria Principles » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:29 am

# 13 wrote:What does anyone think of this? I thought it was pretty compelling. I like it's gait as it stolls off, very bipedal.

I then reviewed the comments and alot of people think its "Oliver" the chimp (I must confess, I had to Google Oliver the chimp). OK, so maybe its a chimp. Even if it is, it raises the question "is that what Sasquatch really is, a form of chimpanzee.......or ape?" Check it out and tell me what you think:

Lots of opinions on what Bigfoot is. An ape, cross between ape and man, non-existent, even a primitive alien race (some people say there are lots of UFO sightings when there are big foot sights), a demon.
Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Postby Rokiisun » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:31 pm

I grew up thinking bigfoot was chewbacca :(
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.
Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Postby # 13 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:27 pm

Rokiisun wrote:I grew up thinking bigfoot was chewbacca :(

He was!!! No worries, you got it right. Wookies are just a distant race of Sasquatch.
# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Postby Brendan72 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:12 pm

"AAARRGGGHHH ... GRRRRRRR!!!"
- Brendan72

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Postby KDSPhantom » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:13 pm

its a hoax, its just another snake oil selling crap for a cheap buck, just like those ric and ryan dudes

like that pic above of the guy who "shot" one and is touring the country with it.
let me guess he either is resisting testing on it cause he doesn't trust science or when he did he was shown to be a fake.

science and life are really so amazing on their own, people, "we" are just trying to create things that seemed cool.
then we get stuck with asshats who just make up stuff, toss in a "oh you weren't there you don't know what I saw"
add a couple of science doesn't know everything's and the myth starts.

generally speaking it starts when we were young and thought magic was real
on this board the topic of the missing flight 370 was brought up and people posted that with the tech we have it would be found already so it must have been a terrorist plan well that just isn't true either
but in the same breathe if we have the tech to find the plane then we could use the same tech to find bigfoot, mermaids, the loch ness monster and any other mythical stuff. The reason it or they will never be found and has never been found, they just don't exist.

There is so much life all over the planet so odd so bizarre so beautiful that we don't really need to make up stuff, and more so to steal a buck from your pocket.
KDSPhantom
Amityville Member

Postby Brendan72 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:32 am

We'll have to agree to disagree .... and welcome to the board! :-)
- Brendan72

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Postby KDSPhantom » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:28 am

Hello and thank you
this is a great board, very well put together with a ton of links, info and raw data

do you there are bigfoots or are you just of there is the possibility ?
KDSPhantom
Amityville Member

Postby Brendan72 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:16 am

I certainly do not rule out the existence of them. Even though there is no evidence of their existence that would be accepted by mainstream science I tend to also take into consideration eyewitness accounts, primarily those who have had a previous standpoint of being sceptics (or maintain they were sceptical up until the point of the experience/sighting).

I do accept that some people make up the experience to get attention or rather think or believe they saw one due to their over-active imagination at the time, there are those who when I see their faces and hear their voices whether on television or radio (or podcast interview) where I believe they truly saw something that went outside of their regular belief system and where that system was being questioned based on what they saw/heard/felt. These are usually people who have no motive and would frankly prefer to NOT have retold the experience for fear of being ridiculed or thought of as strange. It is quite similar with people who have had encounters with either ghosts or UFO's as these tend to also be outside what can be regarded as normal (or majority) of people's belief systems, particularly sceptics. At the time of the interview or retelling there is still some kind of inner conflict and they are still coming to terms with what they saw (if they ever do, in some cases).

It is difficult however to reconcile Bigfoot's existence or have genuine investigators credibility shot out of the water when you get bogus sightings which frankly get reported more in the mainstream media than genuine sightings.
- Brendan72

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Postby KDSPhantom » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:44 pm

Hiya Brendan
I with you in that I understand or think I understand where your coming from or what you mean. I totally agree with your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs and thank you even for replying. I hope you don't think I am trying to make fun you or your ideas.

As to what you say I would agree but add, that when people think they see a ghost, a ufo, or more to our topic bigfoot its just something it just something else. Hoax's just plain muddy the water of everything.

Since I cant help but admit I am curios about why you wouldn't rule them out. Would you mind me asking you a few questions about that ?
thanks again
KDSPhantom
Amityville Member

Postby Brendan72 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:47 am

The best way to get an answer is to ask a question. Or two.
- Brendan72

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Postby KDSPhantom » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:09 pm

Hello

What I would ask is just what is your barrier of proof either way?
For me if we went to a zoo and saw one, well I would think we would both agree that they existed.
So short of that what would it take for you to say they do, and then of course what short of that would it take for you to say they don't.

I am in my 40's now and clearly don't know about the kids today or your background into this but I became aware of the Patterson film ( I think its from 67?) so adults were talking about when it was shown on TV. Here it is 40 years later and still not one in a zoo ( and by zoo it could be anything close, basically kept in captivity).

Besides someone trying to sell a book or a TV show I don't know what is pushing even the thought about this being real?
KDSPhantom
Amityville Member

Postby # 13 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:59 pm

Welcome to the board KDSPhantom! I am glad to see people keeping this topic alive, whether it is from a skeptic or believer's point of view :breakdance: . If you ever want to discuss anything Sasquatch, I would love to chat but 1st, I will let Brendan have the floor as your questions were originally addressed to him.

Brendan.....Take It Away :clap: :clap: :clap:
# 13
The Creepin Yeti

Postby Brendan72 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:13 am

Sorry it has taken me almost a week to respond. I have been busy with things and have been recovering from a flu.

The Patterson/Gimlin film from 1967 is regarded as the main footage of a Bigfoot. There have been naysayers who at the time believed and still do that the footage was faked and choreographed, with the suit designed by a man in Hollywood. Looking at how advanced the technology of makeup was at the time, and considering Planet of the Apes was released a year later (and probably in production around the time of the Patterson film) I find it difficult to believe the logistics were possible to accomplish designing such a suit.

For instance the muscular tones could not have been accomplished if the bigfoot in the film was a man dressed up in a costume. The film has been analyzed many times by people in different fields of science and those who are convinced it is an actual, unidentified creature, were convinced the muscular movements are inconsistent with someone in a costume.

I could play devils advocate and say HOW a it could be faked, along the lines as above, but how it could be actually staged, assuming it was a guy in a costume would have to be pretty well cleverly orchestrated. And it also looked like a chance encounter, and the location itself I believe was remote.

I personally believe it is an unidentified creature known as Bigfoot but that is my opinion. If the same footage was shot today I would be somewhat sceptical as technology today is far more advanced than in the 1960's before CGI and other special effects, and 10 years BEFORE Star Wars.
- Brendan72

Brendan72
Forest Giant

PreviousNext

Return to Amityville Coffee House