Paranormal Activity movies

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
KevinW
Amityville Maniac

Re: Paranormal Activity movies

Post by KevinW » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:58 pm

Just came from watching the third movie. I liked it up until the end where I felt it was a bit of a disappointment, and it has me wondering if there are different cuts of the movie being released.

SPOILER (HIGHLIGHT TO READ:

The trailers had scenes of the two girls in the bathroom doing the "Bloody Mary" thing, a glass of water or something flying past the mom while Kristi was painting, one of the girls jumping off a banister, the mom getting thrown into the bedroom, a paranormal investigator investigating and then getting slammed face-first into the kitchen table, everybody running down the stairs in a panic with some kind of an electrical explosion at the bottom of the stairs, and a shot of the house on fire.

The version of the movie that I just saw had none of that. In the version I saw, the mom goes into the kitchen and witnesses everything crashing down to the floor from the ceiling. They then go to the grandmother's house, and that night, the dad walks in on a satanic ritual in the backyard. He goes into the house and finds the mom, who looks like she's hanging from an invisible rope. She then gets flung down the stairs. He then gets knocked across the room by a possessed Katie. The grandmother appears, and the guy is bent backwards in two, killing him. The grandmother and girls then go up the stairs, and the movie ends.

The whole ending just didn't make sense. While the idea of satanism or witchcraft causing the haunting does, it doesn't make sense that the videos that the husband made would be left for Kristi and Katie to have as shown in the beginning of the movie. The grandmother knew that the husband was videotaping everything. And in the breakin of the second movie, nothing was missing, while in this one, the box of videos has disappeared. Also, both movies mentioned the house burning down when the girls were kids. Yet, there was no fire.

END OF SPOILER

I'm suspecting that there will be a different cut of the movie on the DVD when it is released. Hopefully it'll have what I mentioned in the above spoiler is missing.

Kevin.
All football is is a bunch of over-pumped jocks on steroids who say they're straight while they smack each other's behinds and chase each other around on a field so they can tackle another guy to play with that guy's ball.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:40 pm

KevinW wrote:it has me wondering if there are different cuts of the movie being released.
It's the same cut everywhere, but obviously other/alternate footage was filmed, and will probably be on the DVD.

KevinW
Amityville Maniac

Post by KevinW » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:57 am

Here are some other issues I realized with the cut of the third movie in theaters.

SPOILERS (Highlight to read):

Some of the message board comments on the IMDB are suggesting that the ending was changed to suggest that Katie and Kristi are brainwashed by the cult/coven in the movie to forget their original mom and stepdad and have a fourth movie where more events take place with a family that they've been made to believe is their own. Even if that is the case, how would that even be possible? Wouldn't kids at school be asking "What happened to Kristi and Katie?" Wouldn't their mom's employer be wondering where she is? Wouldn't the husband's clients be wondering where their wedding videos are or why nobody is answering the phone? Wouldn't there be friends, neighbors, and other relatives wondering what happened to that couple and their two kids? Wouldn't the girls' biological father be asking where his ex-wife and daughters were? I can see the possibility of two kids having their memories wiped, but not an entire town.

Also, even though I haven't seen the first two movies in a while, wasn't it implied in them that Katie and Kristi's parents were still alive? I seem to remember Kristi talking to Katie about what happened when they were kids, and Katie said something about "Don't talk about it or you'll end up like mom", almost implying that the mom had flipped out afterwards or something.

Another thing I have issues with is their trying to change the breakin from the second movie. I already mentioned above that they had Katie dropping off a box of videos to store in Kristi's basement and how that was the only thing missing after the breakin instead of nothing missing in the second movie. It seems the makers of the third movie are trying to imply that the cult/coven broke in to get the videos (ie. evidence of what happened in 1988). What gets me about that is that the grandmother knew that her son-in-law was taping the events in their house. Wouldn't it have made sense to find them and destroy them right away rather than wait 20 years to go looking for them? And if the movie is "found lost footage", how could it be getting released if the tapes were stolen? It just bothers me when the "facts" of a storyline get changed to justify a sequel. To me, the trashing of the house was simply the demon going berserk since nothing was originally taken, and some of the damage was more like vandalism rather than somebody coming in and looking for a box of videos (broken TV, overturned furniture, etc.). I think they should have just had Katie dropping off the boxes of videos and leaving it at that since that's something that wouldn't have changed things from the previous movies.

The whole showing of the cult/coven at the end of the third movie just seemed to ruin it for me. It was hinted at in the second movie that the grandmother had possibly gotten involved in satanism or witchcraft, but it was left open as to whether or not that was actually the case. That made it more mysterious and intriguing. In the third movie, it was hinted at early when the grandmother asked the mom about having more kids and how she always wanted a son. Going to the grandmother's house and the whole thing with the cult/coven just seemed to overdo it with the idea of the grandmother being the cause of it all.

What they should have done is that once the mom discovers that something was actually going on in the house, they call in the paranormal investigator. He checks the house out and begins discussing with them what is happening. He's then attacked, as seen in the trailer, and then all hell breaks loose, and the family gets out as a fire consumes the home. They then do an "afterwards" kind of montage linking what just happened with the other two movies. If they wanted to go for the cult/coven angle, they should have had the family get to the grandmother's, find signs that she's involved in something evil, and then flee back to the house where they then call in the investigator for help. I think it would make much more sense and cleared up the issues I have with the ending I saw.

END OF SPOILERS

Sorry for rambling on, and I hope what I typed makes sense since it's almost 4AM.

Kevin
All football is is a bunch of over-pumped jocks on steroids who say they're straight while they smack each other's behinds and chase each other around on a field so they can tackle another guy to play with that guy's ball.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:00 am

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:11 am

KevinW wrote:It just bothers me when the "facts" of a storyline get changed to justify a sequel.

I agree, but they already did that with the burnt photograph in part 2... It works, but it changes the original filmmakers intention...

And then there's the ending of Psycho 2... which was thankfully reversed in Psycho 3...

shuggins
Amityville Addict

Post by shuggins » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:44 am

KevinW-

GREAT observations. I guess for me, the ending killed it totally. I do also hope a DVD release will have the alternate scenes that you mentioned.

The baby sitter was hot and she obviously had a thing for the step dad (already forgot his name).

KevinW
Amityville Maniac

Post by KevinW » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:00 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:I agree, but they already did that with the burnt photograph in part 2
Well, in the original, the edges of the photo were burned, and it was found in Katie and Micah's attic. The dad in the second movie took the pic that Kristi had found in an old photo album and had burned the edges. As far as it making it's way from Kristi's house to Katie's, I always assumed that since the picture was "sacrificed" to save Kristi that the demon had moved it to Katie's or something. To me, that explained why there was a picture of Katie as a little girl with the edges of the picture burned.

Kevin

Julabard
how strange...

Post by Julabard » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:26 am

Watching 2 tonight, I expect it to be not as 'good' as the first!
Okay, I see you there! There's a 12 gauge shotgun, waitin' for anybody trespassin'!

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:47 am

I remember seeing the first film and not finding it scary at all. All my friends were telling me it was 'scary as anything' and I was left kind of dissapointed so I haven't gone near the second or third films.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:03 pm

"Paranormal Activity 3" secured the biggest horror opening of all time this weekend, grossing an estimated $54 million, according to studio estimates, and far surpassing expectations.

Producer Oren Peli's third installment in the ultra-low-budget franchise grossed as much as all other movies in this weekend's top 10 combined, and is the biggest October opening ever, beating "Jackass 3D's" $50.35 million in 2010.

All that on a budget of $5 million.

Paramount had conservative pre-release estimates in the $35 million range for "Paranormal 3." Outside the studio, estimates had the film taking in as much as $45 million. Even that would have been enough to make "Paranormal Activity 3" the highest-opening horror film of all time. The franchise's previous movie, last year's "Paranormal Activity 2," grossed $40.68 million in its opening weekend.

In midnight showings Thursday, "Paranormal" took in $8 million.
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/p ... -54m-32083

Shawn
Been there, Done that

Post by Shawn » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:23 am

I did not like it. At all. :(
Any and all comments made by the poster "Shawn" are purely his opinion and do not reflect the opinions of the board owners, administrators or moderators. Also, all postings done by the member "Shawn" are property of "Shawn" and cannot be reproduced in any way shape or form without written permission from the poster known here(@http://www.amityvillefaq.com) as "Shawn". TIA.

112 Ocean Ave
Somethings in life can't be explained

Post by 112 Ocean Ave » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:44 pm

Im a little confused. I thought that when they were kids their house burned down. and i didnt get when they were at the grandmothers house how their were 15 possessed people outside randomly. I wonder if the house burning is going to be a part 4?
possession is nine-tenths of the law

Julabard
how strange...

Post by Julabard » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:09 am

So I watched the 2nd movie. I though the first was 'meh', but the sencond was 'bleugh'!

Way too similar, lacked any impact, and I'm not much of a fan of shots of silent and empty rooms for minutes on end - just so they can add a shock to end the silence. Hmmm... I'll probably not watch the 3rd, felt rather let down. As soon as it finished though, I watched Halloween 3: season Of The Witch and I cheered right up!
Okay, I see you there! There's a 12 gauge shotgun, waitin' for anybody trespassin'!

123xoxo
Amityville Member

Post by 123xoxo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:50 pm

I'm gonna see the third one tonight at 9:30. Perfect for Halloween :)
123xoxo

Julabard
how strange...

Post by Julabard » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:17 am

Hope it didn't ruin your Halloween...

123xoxo
Amityville Member

Post by 123xoxo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:33 pm

Julabard wrote:Hope it didn't ruin your Halloween...
No it didn't ruin it. Just the ending could've ended better.
123xoxo

BillyCigars
American Psycho

Post by BillyCigars » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:47 am

A comment about the ending...

SPOILER:
(Highlight to read)

The ending was a little too "The Last Exorcism" - even down the bonfire in the backyard! Too funny
"The old man's still an artist with a Thompson."

shuggins
Amityville Addict

Post by shuggins » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:09 am

Billy-

Agreed.... you know though....still very interested in this now "series" of Paranormal Activity movies. I'll still go see part 4,5,6,7,8,9, etc. It's still good stuff, but PA3 was just too over the top for me.

PS: I loved Last Exorcism. That lead guy (forget his name) was awesome. I hear there is a sequel in the works.

VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict

Post by VintageBoy91 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:21 pm

I think the first movie was the best one. I prefer PA I .
The second and third movie are just poor sequels and not a quarter as good as PA I .
Just my opinion.

112 Ocean Ave
Somethings in life can't be explained

Post by 112 Ocean Ave » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:43 pm

shuggins wrote:Billy-

Agreed.... you know though....still very interested in this now "series" of Paranormal Activity movies. I'll still go see part 4,5,6,7,8,9, etc. It's still good stuff, but PA3 was just too over the top for me.

PS: I loved Last Exorcism. That lead guy (forget his name) was awesome. I hear there is a sequel in the works.
the last exorcism was a good movie
possession is nine-tenths of the law

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:55 am

‘Paranormal Activity 4′ Lands An Official Release Date

Paramount has settled on an October 19th, 2012 U.S. theatrical release date for Paranormal Activity 4; there, it will face off against the star-studded rom-com The Wedding and period crime drama Gangster Squad. However, there is going to be direct competition for the scare-hungry crowd a week later, when Halloween 3(D) hits the scene.

Paranormal Activity stalwart producers Jason Blum, Oren Peli, and Steven Schneider will all be collaborating again on the fourth entry in the series. There’s no official word yet on whether either screenwriter Christopher Landon (who worked on the scripts for both the second and third PA flicks) or PA 3 directing duo Henry Joost and Ari Schulman will be returning for the fourth round of supernatural mayhem. Considering that each of the previous movies featured a different helmer(s), it seems likely that PA 4 will follow suit.

[UPDATE: BD Horror News is reporting that Joost and Schulman are prepped to direct PA 4. However, it's not yet clear whether they have already officially signed on for the film or are simply in talks.]

There were several semi-plot holes (or ambiguous plot points) in PA 3 which seem to lend themselves naturally to an explanation in the latest installment; that would also allow the creative minds behind this series to continue fleshing out the mythology they’ve spent a good chunk of the last three movies developing. Don’t be surprised if PA 4 ends up being another partial (or full) prequel to the original Paranormal Activity (much like the last two installments) for that reason.

It’s been said before, but bears repeating here: you should know by now whether you find the PA movies to be cleverly-crafted minimalistic spookfests… or increasingly-predictable snoozefests. All the same, here’s to hoping that Paranormal Activity 4 boasts enough in the way of ingenious scares and plot twists to keep things interesting for the franchise’s still-loyal fans.
http://screenrant.com/paranormal-activi ... dy-146064/