Paranormal Activity movies

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
quotestheraven
Amityville Addict

Re: Paranormal Activity 3

Post by quotestheraven » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:10 am

When was Paranormal Activity 2 ever out?
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/ravensez/Page-1.jpg[/img]

Jetstar3D
Shiner

Post by Jetstar3D » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:36 am

Yeah, I'm afraid I missed Paranormal Activity 2, thankfully. I didn't even know it was out.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:01 pm

2 will be out this Halloween.

shuggins
Amityville Addict

Post by shuggins » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:25 pm

I mean.... what is it with you guys and this movie? Paranormal Activity was excellent. Even if you didn't like it.... COMPARE IT WITH TODAY'S HOLLYWOOD HORROR STUFF!!! I mean, really!

Sherb, what the heck are we gonna do with these people!

Oct 22nd is the official release date in U.S. for Paranormal 2. Some people like the Super Bowl. Some people like the World Series. Paranormal Activity 2 will be EVERYTHING to me. Can't wait.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Re: Paranormal Activity movies

Post by sherbetbizarre » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:06 pm

So PA2...

*mild spoilers*

Didn't realise this was a prequel... it treads a fine line of tying-in the original and just about gets away with it... Didn't think it was a s good as the first, but still has some effective scenes 7/10.

quotestheraven
Amityville Addict

Post by quotestheraven » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:22 am

I let myself get talked into seeing it as my obligatory scary movie of the year. Spawn (my son) and I always try to see a scary movie around Halloween, and all the other scary movies out just look sooooo BAD. So, we went to see PA2. Yeah - if a kid getting hurt is going to upset you - this is not the movie to see. We almost left the theater because of that aspect of it because it became clear pretty early on that something really bad was going to happen to that baby.

Spawn called the movie Blair Witch meets Poltergeist, and I think that's a pretty good description.

And there were parts of the movie that I thought were just downright unbelievable. You see on video your wife being dragged by an unseen force out of the nursery and down to the basement, so you call for help - your Mexican maid. Really? Are you kidding me? Then, there's the scene where the lights all go out and the dad is trying to find the baby in the dark, and the teenage daughter is still running around with a video camera. Yeah. No. Someone call Child Protective Services on these fools. That's when you tell her to drop the video camera and get the heck out of the house.

shuggins
Amityville Addict

Post by shuggins » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:12 am

I finally got to see it yesterday. Being a huge fan of the first film, I was really worried this would be like Blair Witch 2 (which was awful). I mean, they were so successful with the first (and made so much money) that they just could have gone all "Hollywood" with this one, but they did not. They stayed true to the original film. The movie would have been good as it was, but the whole tying into first film as more of a "prequel" is what made it go from good to very, very good, imho.

*** MILD SPOILERS ***

The scare scenes were more intense in PA2, at least I thought so. The scene where Christie (the mom) was in the kitchen reading the magazine and drinking coffee and the kitchen basically imploded was awesome.

To the poster who said it was absurd that the father tried to get the maid to come back to the house to help.... don't you remember that she was trying to tell him early on that something bad was in the house and she was doing all the incense and those rituals, etc, to try to help rid the house of the bad spirits? I mean, he fired her to try and just get things back to normal and when he didn't, he figured it might be time to listen.

Again, the way the ending of the movie tied right into the beginning of PA1 was really cool.

Also, the "transferring" of the demon from Christie to her sister Katie was a nice touch. But by the end, we sure know how that all worked out.

All in all, it could easily have been a turd, but I thought it was a very very good follow up to the first film. 8/10

KevinW
Amityville Maniac

Post by KevinW » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:56 am

Saw Paranormal Activity 2 this past weekend, and I liked it. The prequel aspect kind of threw me at first as I haven't watched the original in a while and hadn't noticed when the dates were in relation to the original. I thought it was a very well done way of showing what led up to the original and why the demon had gone after Katie. Granted, this one ties in with the theatrical version of the original. If you watch the original film festival cut of the movie, I would consider that to be a standalone version of the movie. If you are going for the prequel/sequel aspect, watch the theatrical version of the original and then PA2.

Kevin
All football is is a bunch of over-pumped jocks on steroids who say they're straight while they smack each other's behinds and chase each other around on a field so they can tackle another guy to play with that guy's ball.

quotestheraven
Amityville Addict

Post by quotestheraven » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:02 am

Yes, I remember that it was the maid who was trying to tell the dad that there were bad spirits in the house, but.... I still think that in that kind of situation, I'd have the phone book out ringing every church I could get to pick up. Heck, I would have expected the maid to tell him, "Dude - you need a priest."

shuggins
Amityville Addict

Post by shuggins » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:05 am

Agreed. I mean, how much of THAT kind of terror do you put up with before just getting the heck out of dodge. When the women (Christie) was dragged out of the play room and down the stairs...any normal person would run out the front door (with the kid) and just leave. She decided to not say anything even when asked later by the daughter, "Something happened to you. What was it?".

So...you never really gave a definitive opinion. Did you like the movie?

Shawn
Been there, Done that

Post by Shawn » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:50 pm

I just finished watching a screener. Ugh. Horror movies these days really suck.
Any and all comments made by the poster "Shawn" are purely his opinion and do not reflect the opinions of the board owners, administrators or moderators. Also, all postings done by the member "Shawn" are property of "Shawn" and cannot be reproduced in any way shape or form without written permission from the poster known here(@http://www.amityvillefaq.com) as "Shawn". TIA.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:59 pm

Shawn wrote:I just finished watching a screener. Ugh. Horror movies these days really suck.
Well maybe if you actually pay for them they might oblige you better product.

Shawn
Been there, Done that

Post by Shawn » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:26 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:
Shawn wrote:I just finished watching a screener. Ugh. Horror movies these days really suck.
Well maybe if you actually pay for them they might oblige you better product.
It was an actual screener. A psychical disk. One that was given to a Universal Studios employee. Should I of given him 5 bucks for bringing it over and playing it on my hdtv perhaps?
Any and all comments made by the poster "Shawn" are purely his opinion and do not reflect the opinions of the board owners, administrators or moderators. Also, all postings done by the member "Shawn" are property of "Shawn" and cannot be reproduced in any way shape or form without written permission from the poster known here(@http://www.amityvillefaq.com) as "Shawn". TIA.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:02 pm

Whatever. Comment on the movies but stop bragging about not paying for them.

The other day you suggested we "download and burn" The Evil - which is not going to help to company who put the effort into remastering and distributing that series of Roger Corman DVD's, is it?

shuggins
Amityville Addict

Post by shuggins » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:34 pm

Sherb,

So what about the first did you think was better>? I say PA2 was equal to or maybe even slightly better than the original. It just seemed more far reaching. The first one just had Katie and Micah...and well, that demonologist guy or whatever. This one had the mom, dad, daughter, baby, Micah, Katie, daughter's boyfriend, the maid, etc. It just had more going on. Maybe thats what you didn't like as much? I get that the simplistic nature of the first one kinda "gets at you" in a way.

Anyways....was just curious.

PS: Just so ya know....I paid $8.75 (US Dollars) to see the movie with a very scared audience on Sunday. :D

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:12 am

I prefered the original... thought this was less scary, but the real test will be watching the DVD alone at night ;)

Shawn
Been there, Done that

Post by Shawn » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:25 am

sherbetbizarre wrote:Whatever. Comment on the movies but stop bragging about not paying for them.

The other day you suggested we "download and burn" The Evil - which is not going to help to company who put the effort into remastering and distributing that series of Roger Corman DVD's, is it?

sorry about that. Woin't happen again. :)
Are we good?

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:42 am

Sure :D

csullivan
Amityville Maniac

Post by csullivan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:44 pm

sherbetbizarre wrote:I prefered the original... thought this was less scary, but the real test will be watching the DVD alone at night ;)
i have not seen the new one yet but i rememmber watching the original by myself and i was not expectiing what i saw at the end ..i remmember having a hard time sleeping that night after watching it

Bury-me-in-memory
Amityville Member

Sooo what does everyone think of...

Post by Bury-me-in-memory » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:01 pm

Paranormal Activity ( The movie ) ?

It was the first scary movie where I have actually been scared for a while.
My badge.My witness.

shane2801
Amityville Addict

Re: Sooo what does everyone think of...

Post by shane2801 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:01 am

I really enjoyed it. I didn't want it to end. Great stuff!