Paranormal Activity movies

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
Forum rules
Posts in this section are deleted 5 years after the last reply
Tim
The monkey supplied the glue.

Post by Tim » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:19 pm

Am I the only one who noticed Kate ate, slept and awoke wearing her bra?? She never took the dang thing off! LOL I simply can't be the only one.....
"Things of this nature happen quite frequently,and when they happen to families, they usually close the door and they don't talk about it; and unless these things are talked about, they'll never be understood." - Kathy Lutz

Jetstar3D
Shiner

Post by Jetstar3D » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:27 pm

Tim wrote:Am I the only one who noticed Kate ate, slept and awoke wearing her bra?? She never took the dang thing off! LOL I simply can't be the only one.....
Scary huh? :wink:

devilbustedinct
Walking the Burning Fence

Post by devilbustedinct » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Tim wrote:Am I the only one who noticed Kate ate, slept and awoke wearing her bra?? She never took the dang thing off! LOL I simply can't be the only one.....
Hmm. I'm usually on top of those things and I didn't notice. I must be slipping.

Oh, and the trend continues...
The Star spoke with BLAIR WITCH PROJECT co-director/co-writer Eduardo Sanchez, who revealed that work is now underway on a third BLAIR WITCH film. Seems the success of PARANORMAL ACTIVITY has helped to revitalize the 'found video" genre.

They'd pick up from where the original left off, pretending Blair Witch 2 never happened. The duo recently went on a drive through their original Blair Witch haunts, about a half hour from Sánchez's Maryland home, looking for inspiration.

They've worked up a treatment for a new story, which would involve original cast members Heather Donahue, Joshua Leonard and Michael C. Williams, albeit in smaller roles.

"We're at the step where we're about to pitch to Lionsgate, which owns the movie rights now. It's pretty much up to them. They can completely squash it or greenlight it."

...says THIS ARTICLE at The Star.

I seem to recall, a long long time ago, hearing that a third film would actually be a flashback/origin story chronicling the tale of the Blair Witch. Anyone else recall that? Seems like they're going to different direction now.

Before it hit theaters, I saw the first film in a dark house surrounded by big trees in spooky woods on a windy, moonless night. Scared the piss out of me. I haven't seen it since then...wonder if it holds up?
SOURCE: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42935

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:45 pm

I guess I missed the Blair Witch sequel...

And what's this crap about a revitilization of the "found video" genre? Do the studios think people go to see movies based on if a certain genre is "hot"? Like a style of clothes?

I think people go see a movie if it's a good movie, no matter what the genre is. I can't imagine the following dialogue:

TEEN 1: Dude, meet us at the multiplex, we're all gonna see the new movie "Slipdazyabangbang."

TEEN 2: Slipdazyabangbang? Sounds stupid. What's it about?

TEEN 1: I dunno, but it's one of those "found video" films.

TEEN 2: Oh cool! I love those sorts of films! And these sorts of films are really popular now, so we'll look cool going to see it! Killer! I'll totally be there, and I'll phone up 20 other friends to join us!!!

Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Post by Chichibcc » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:26 am

A third Blair Witch film???? I thought the second one didn't do all that great, why are they trying to make yet another sequel???

If it does get made, I think I'll pass on it....the first one didn't live up to the hype for me, and after that disappointment, I had no interest in seeing part 2, either.
[size=125][i][color=red]Actions speak louder than words....[/color][/i][/size]

devilbustedinct

Post by devilbustedinct » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:44 am

Dan the Damned wrote:I guess I missed the Blair Witch sequel...

And what's this crap about a revitilization of the "found video" genre? Do the studios think people go to see movies based on if a certain genre is "hot"? Like a style of clothes?

I think people go see a movie if it's a good movie, no matter what the genre is. I can't imagine the following dialogue:

TEEN 1: Dude, meet us at the multiplex, we're all gonna see the new movie "Slipdazyabangbang."

That is EXACTLY how Hollywood thinks, and worst of all, they are right.

TEEN 2: Oh cool! I love those sorts of films! And these sorts of films are really popular now, so we'll look cool going to see it! Killer! I'll totally be there, and I'll phone up 20 other friends to join us!!!

msammons
Amityville Addict

Post by msammons » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:20 am

I finally saw the movie online. I am glad I didn't pay for it. It was completely lame. Wasn't there something said in this thread about an alternate ending. I guess the online version was the same one in movie theatres.
Mary
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/spooks/

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:53 am

Chichibcc wrote:A third Blair Witch film???? I thought the second one didn't do all that great, why are they trying to make yet another sequel???
Beacuse as the article says, it's by the original people and will ignore part 2.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:56 am

Dan the Damned wrote:And what's this crap about a revitilization of the "found video" genre? Do the studios think people go to see movies based on if a certain genre is "hot"? Like a style of clothes?
That is pretty much what studios think, especially when the genre is so cheap.

But, although I personally love this genre... a lot of people hate it!

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:22 am

msammons wrote:I finally saw the movie online. I am glad I didn't pay for it. It was completely lame. Wasn't there something said in this thread about an alternate ending. I guess the online version was the same one in movie theatres.
I saw the online (original) film. Judging it as a normal Hollywood movie, I thought it sucked. But knowing that it was a low budget film made by unknowns, I thought it was very well-done and very effective. I have some problems with the script and the acting wasn't great, but I can overlook that knowing it came from amateurs. So it's a mixed bag for me.

I'm back to thinking the version in the theaters actually might have a better ending than the version online -- but not having seen it, this is just a guess based on the few seconds I saw on the TV commercial, which seemed like it could be jarring (in a good way). So far we have 2 people who didn't like this movie, and both saw the online version -- so maybe that would explain it. I might have enjoyed the movie a bit more if I saw it in the theater, too.

devilbustedinct

Post by devilbustedinct » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:50 am

Hmm, I quoted Dan but my writing didn't show up in post. Sorry.

Dan,
Dan the Damned wrote: I can't imagine the following dialogue:

Sadly, you hit it right on. Hollywood KNOWS this to be true, and unfortunately, in many instances, I think they are right.

devilbustedinct

Post by devilbustedinct » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:06 pm

Sequels abound...
Because it's so easy to sequelize a "found video" movie once the concept has blown its wad, The Powers That Be are contemplating a sequel to PARANORMAL ACTIVITY.

In Viacom's earnings call Tuesday morning, CEO Philippe Dauman said the movie has been one of those surprise hits that comes along only rarely.

Given that a follow-up release wouldn't have the same element of surprise as "Paranormal," it will be key to craft a smart approach to a sequel, he said. "Our team will come up with the right creative and marketing approach," he told analysts.

shuggins
Amityville Addict

Post by shuggins » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Well, I'm pretty frustrated by some of the negative reviews... but I will just hafta get over it.

However, I did appreciate Dan's.

>I saw the online (original) film. Judging it as a normal
>Hollywood movie, I thought it sucked.

You knew well ahead of time it was made for less than 15 grand. Yet, you still chose to judge it that way?

>But knowing that it was a low budget film made by unknowns,
>I thought it was very well-done and very effective.

I just think with this type of genre... it works that way. I, like Sherbert, appreciate this genre a whole lot...

>I have some problems with the script and the acting wasn't
>great, but I can overlook that knowing it came from >amateurs. So it's a mixed bag for me.

Fair enough.... and in some ways I suppose I can understand it. Did you have trouble with the humor thrown in there in scenes of duress? I found that brilliant for some reason. Was it the Ouija Board scene?

>So far we have 2 people who didn't like this movie, and both
>saw the online version -- so maybe that would explain it. I
>might have enjoyed the movie a bit more if I saw it in the
>theater, too.

Thank you. Thank you. THANK YOU. Did you by chance see all the posts (including mine) HIGHLY recommending you see this in the theatre? I promise it would have enhanced the experience.

Here's my deal... Dan mentioned Hollywood. When was the last time you truly enjoyed a Hollywood (ie: EXPENSIVELY DONE) "supernaturall/ghostly" horror flick? I wanted to, but it's just been disappointing. This one was NOT Hollywood... and I loved it. Maybe this is the way to go "sometimes"? This movie stuck with me for a long time afterwards.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:15 pm

I think you focused on the wrong part. I did enjoy this movie for what it was, but if I didn't know it was an amateur/independent film made for $15k, then I would have hated it.

***SPOILER ALERTS*** (for the remainder of this post)
shuggins wrote:>I have some problems with the script and the acting wasn't
>great, but I can overlook that knowing it came from
>amateurs. So it's a mixed bag for me.

Fair enough.... and in some ways I suppose I can understand it. Did you have trouble with the humor thrown in there in scenes of duress? I found that brilliant for some reason. Was it the Ouija Board scene?
Just some nitpicky stuff. The dialogue didn't seem real to me. People don't talk that way. People normally talk over each other and spit out incomplete sentences and forget what they're saying, etc. This is a general problem with the majority of movies. Altman tried to address this in films such as MASH, but if there was one type of film where a more realistic style of dialogue should be used, it would be a film supposedly consisting of "found" videotapes.

I also had a problem with the character's motivations. Take "Night 18" for example, when the bedroom door slams shut and the entity pounds on it. I think it would be more realistic if the couple pressed the "panic" button on the alarm above their nightstand, and I don't think the guy would then approach the door and open it that quickly, roaming around the house yelling "show yourself." The door slams shut behind them, and Micah again has to open it real quick. And during this whole time, they never turned the lights on. Just didn't seem realistic to me. I don't think people would act that way, or continue to stay in the house.

The Ouija board scene did make me laugh, now that you mention it. I think it was a little much when it caught on fire.

But anyway, I did enjoy the film overall. Not enough to watch it again, though. One of the film's merits is that it is very effective in giving you the creeps at night, when you turn out the lights to go to bed (as that's when the events happen, in the bedroom at night). You may be waiting for your own bedroom door to slam shut, and as someone mentioned elsewhere, the normal noises a house makes are now noticed a bit more closely.

And that is good. The film reaches for honest scares instead of relying on cheap "startles."

KevinW
Amityville Maniac

Post by KevinW » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:33 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:I also had a problem with the character's motivations. Take "Night 18" for example, when the bedroom door slams shut and the entity pounds on it. I think it would be more realistic if the couple pressed the "panic" button on the alarm above their nightstand, and I don't think the guy would then approach the door and open it that quickly, roaming around the house yelling "show yourself." The door slams shut behind them, and Micah again has to open it real quick. And during this whole time, they never turned the lights on. Just didn't seem realistic to me. I don't think people would act that way, or continue to stay in the house.
We never know how we'd react unless we were actually in that situation. I know I've had people say that I was dreaming in some of the incidents that I went through because of how I reacted. There's more than just fear and panic that can go through a person at that kind of moment. There's also confusion, curiosity, anger, frustration, skepticism, etc.

Here's another example of how we never know how we'll react until we're in the situation.

Five years ago this month, I came home, and as I parked my Jeep, I noticed a light on in my home office and figured I'd left it on when I'd left for work. I got to the front door and found the storm door ajar. I knew I'd latched it but figured that it'd popped loose from the wreath I'd put on the front door. I got inside and first looked up the stairs. Sure enough, the light was on. I looked over to my left at the light switches next to the front door and turned them on. One switch turned on the porch light. The other went to an outlet that my Christmas tree and window light were plugged into. That's when I saw that several Christmas presents had been ripped open and scattered about.

Not having cats at the time, most people would say they would have headed back outside since it was obvious what had happened. For me, it was disorienting and confusing. Since the presents ripped open had been candles (cookie scented), I thought that an animal had gotten in and went for the smell of the candles. After all, there had been several reports of a "lion" in a suburb on the other side of Columbus around that time.

Still disoriented and confused (everything seemed to be in slow motion), I noticed a light on in the kitchen but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I slowly made my way to the kitchen. On the way, I'd noticed the stack of Christmas cards that I'd been prepping to sign and mail scattered on the floor as well as the empty top of my bookcases where my DVDs had been. Even then, in my state of confusion, it didn't register.

I got to the kitchen and turned the lights on, finding my fridge open and food on the floor. Again, I was thinking an animal had gotten in. Then I noticed open cupboard doors and the back door ajar.

That's when it finally sunk in that somebody had broken in and might still be there. The front door really seemed far away at that point with the bathroom, basement, and closet doors between it and me. All the thoughts of Michael Myers, Jason, Freddy, etc. came rushing back in my head at that point, thinking somebody could easy jump out and block my escape. I ran outside and called the police.

Looking back on that incident, I know what I should have done, but the whole situation was so disorienting that I didn't react like people would think they would. Likewise, when I see somebody do something in a movie, I don't go with the whole "I wouldn't do that if I were there" line. Unless we're in that situation, we won't know how we'll react.

Kevin
All football is is a bunch of over-pumped jocks on steroids who say they're straight while they smack each other's behinds and chase each other around on a field so they can tackle another guy to play with that guy's ball.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:49 pm

I know. We never know how we'll really react when faced with certain things. And I'm not suggesting that "everyone must react just like this when faced with A, B and C."

Just saying I found the way these characters reacted didn't come across as realistic to me. Remember, this is a movie, not real life.

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:50 am

It makes me wonder what George would have said about this movie, if he were still alive? How he'd comment on the reactions of the actors in the movie ... would he consider it authentic? would he relate to it on some level based on his own experiences? Or would he just see it as Hollywood nonsense?
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

SilkyPup
I purr when I'm happy

Post by SilkyPup » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:29 am

I know. We never know how we'll really react when faced with certain things. And I'm not suggesting that "everyone must react just like this when faced with A, B and C."
That is very true. You never do know how your going to react in these situations. And, at the same time, you'd be surprised what you can get used to. People have said to me that they are surprised my dad and step mom still live in their house with what's happened there, but, the odd thing is it's become a sort of "normal".
Im not little, Im funsize!

Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Post by Chichibcc » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:24 am

SilkyPup wrote:
That is very true. You never do know how your going to react in these situations. And, at the same time, you'd be surprised what you can get used to. People have said to me that they are surprised my dad and step mom still live in their house with what's happened there, but, the odd thing is it's become a sort of "normal".
What happened in their house?
[size=125][i][color=red]Actions speak louder than words....[/color][/i][/size]

SilkyPup
I purr when I'm happy

Post by SilkyPup » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:43 am

They had some on going problems that convinced them the house was haunted, so they set up a recorder to try and catch EVP's. They got about 2 hours worth. They ended up needing a group of investigators at the house. This was a few years ago. It's quited down quite a bit, but there's still plenty of activity there.
Im not little, Im funsize!

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:02 pm

The hit $15,000 thriller PARANORMAL ACTIVITY has grown from its midnight-only showings in a handful of college towns to become this year’s biggest movie phenomenon, and will cross $100 million at the box office after only five weekends of national release as of Friday. In so doing, the movie has become the top grossing R-Rated thriller of the past decade.

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY began its theatrical life with midnight-only screenings in 12 college towns across the U.S. and quickly developed into a national wide hit, with fans visiting the ParanormalMovie.com website and demanded the film be brought to their city. After more than 1 million such requests, Paramount expanded the film nationally where it has been playing to packed theaters ever since.

“What is truly amazing about PARANORMAL ACTIVITY is the depth of commitment from fans who demanded to see it,” said Paramount Pictures Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Brad Grey. “Adam Goodman, our head of production, believed in the film and championed it from the very first screening. This box-office milestone is also a testament to Oren Peli’s considerable talents as a filmmaker. All of us at Paramount are proud to have been involved with his revolutionary project.”

In PARANORMAL ACTIVITY, after a young, middle class couple moves into what seems like a typical suburban “starter” tract house, they become increasingly disturbed by a presence that may or may not be demonic, but is certainly most active in the middle of the night.

Especially when they sleep. Or try to.

Directed, written and produced by Oren Peli, the innovative thriller stars Katie Featherston and Micah Sloat. The film was produced by Jason Blum. Steven Schneider served as executive producer.