BillyCigars
American Psycho

Post by BillyCigars » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:35 am

Looking forward to it!
"The old man's still an artist with a Thompson."

SilkyPup
I purr when I'm happy

Post by SilkyPup » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:18 am

Ha-ha, that movie was wickedly hilarious. And I read the book about a year later. I couldn't put the book down. It's funny, the items he buys.
"Did I forget to mention that I'm totally insane?" ROFL
LOL that was a great line! That and killing girls and playing with their blood. LOL

Again, it makes me feel much better to see I am not the only person who found the book and movie hilarious
Im not little, Im funsize!

Just Simon
There is no spoon....

Post by Just Simon » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:38 pm

SilkyPup wrote:
now.....I have to go return some video tapes
Wait. Didn't you just say you had a meeting with Cliff Huxtable? Which is it? LOL

After you read the book Simon, you can tell me what you think...but something I thought was interesting is, when I saw the movie, I got the impression this was a more "recent" thing with him. Then, in the book, you get the impression he'd been doing this for years.....
Yep, I got the same impression Silky, in the book he mentions someone that he killed whilst at Harvard I think it was.

Ok, I gotta say that I loved the book, it actually helped explain a few things from the movie that I didn't quite understand...for example

In the movie it appears as though Bateman returns to Allen / Owens apartment the day after he kills the hooker (Kristy) and the other girl (whose name escapes me), but, in the book he returns to the apartment 160+ days later. That is why I was somewhat confused over how quickly the apartment was cleaned up.

The movie did not follow the timelines and events of the book exactly either, (sound familiar?) after reading the book I felt that the movie tended to "jump around somewhat".

The book really helped in terms of exploring Batemans relationships with other people from the movie, example, the crush that Carruthers had on Bateman in the movie was more like undying love in the book. Carruthers seemed suicidal when Bateman didn't return his affections.

In the book, the murders etc seem more realistic as in Bateman actually committed the murders, in the movie I couldn't help wondering whether Bateman was delusional and had basically imagined the whole thing.

Overall, I loved the book, a great read and definately not for the squeamish, the sex, torture and murder's were very graphically detailed and you could not help getting mental images of what was going on.

Bateman was your stereotypical 80's yuppie, a character that I loved and could identify with. In the movie I thought that Christian Bale played Bateman perfectly and could not think of another actor that could pull it off as well as him.

There is alot more that I could write and other thoughts that I have and will probably continue to write my thoughts here, but I am definately a huge fan of Psycho....what a ripper.

As I write this I am sitting at my desk, I am wearing a six button wool and silk suit by Ermenegildo Zegna, a cotton shirt with french cuffs by Ike Behar, a silk tie by Ralph Lauren and wing tips by Fratelli Rosetti. I place my expensive looking walkman into my Tumi calfskin attache' case that I purchased earlier in the day from DF Sanders.

I sign off.....I have to return some video tapes .... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers,

Simon

Just Simon
There is no spoon....

Post by Just Simon » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:42 pm

LOL that was a great line! That and killing girls and playing with their blood. LOL
You're a F#$%ing ugly bitch, I want to stab you to death, and then play around with your blood. :shock: :shock: :lol:
Cheers,

Simon

Just Simon
There is no spoon....

Post by Just Simon » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:47 pm

...and the book and the movie have made me even more determined to visit NY next year...if thats possible.

I am definately coming to visit now....mmmm hot dog stands, Manhattan, Times Square etc, can't wait !
Cheers,

Simon

SilkyPup
I purr when I'm happy

Post by SilkyPup » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:29 am

You're a F#$%ing ugly bitch, I want to stab you to death, and then play around with your blood.
LOL!! I absolutely LOVE how psychotic he is! Do they even make medication for that? :P

Another good part, IMO, was the scene in the bathroom stall in the club when they are doing coke, and the one guy starts complaining that the coke was too weak.
"I have a feeling that if we do enough we will be OK"
:lol:

Yeah, the book does make it more "real", as opposed to the movie. In the movie there's definately a feeling that he may be fantasizing about doing these things, or even delusional. In the book it is as if he HAS to do this, like an obsession. I haven't read the book ina few years, maybe I should again.

The thing with carruthers was kind of odd.... the movie made it seem more "realistic". The book made it beyond an obsession.

The one thing that bothered me in the book, however, was when he murders the child at the zoo. Maybe it's the mom in me, but that sort of thing bothers me. :(

Just Simon
There is no spoon....

Post by Just Simon » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:51 am

The one thing that bothered me in the book, however, was when he murders the child at the zoo. Maybe it's the mom in me, but that sort of thing bothers me.
agreed Silk..it was like this had nothing to do with the story..a tad gratuitous..for the sake of it...I am a dad ... I feel ya :(
Cheers,

Simon

SilkyPup
I purr when I'm happy

Post by SilkyPup » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:47 am

Before havings kids, Simon, I wouldn't have thought twice about it..... having kids changes a lot, I suppose.

SilkyPup
I purr when I'm happy

Post by SilkyPup » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:50 am

...and the book and the movie have made me even more determined to visit NY next year...if thats possible.

I am definately coming to visit now....mmmm hot dog stands, Manhattan, Times Square etc, can't wait !
I feel ya there, Simon! I love NY. I used to go with my dad about once a year, and I miss that so much. He's from New Jersey and he knows NYC like the back of his hand. I remember when I was a little girl and he'd take me on a trip there I always thought that some day I would live there. I still do. :)

Something else that struck me about the movie.... I always felt his appearance was somewhat "plastic". Do you know what I mean? It leant to the idea that he was "wearing a mask" so to speak.

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:06 am

Just Simon wrote:I am currently reading the book Brendan, if you get a chance you have got to see the movie.
Yeah I saw the movie and enjoyed it. Christian Bale did a good Patrick Bateman. I heard they considered Leonardo DiCaprio for the role of Batemen.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

SilkyPup
I purr when I'm happy

Post by SilkyPup » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:10 am

DiCaprio? :roll: That would be a lousy fit, dontcha think?

BillyCigars
American Psycho

Post by BillyCigars » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:05 pm

Yep thats true.

Mary Harron (the Director) fought her ass off with the studio to cast Bale. DiCaprio had just come off his Titanic success and Mary felt there would be 3 problems:

1. Only 14 year old girls would come see it (and they wouldn't be able to get in because of the "R" rating).
2. His success from Titanic was too recent for DiCaprio to pull off a good Bateman.
3. He just wasn't right for the role -- the only people who considered him for the role were the studio execs who felt that his starpower would bring the fans (and thus, the cash)

Mary Harron stated that when Christian Bale auditioned for the part, she made her decision right then and there. She described Bale as someone who "got it" when "performing" Bateman since he understood the character so well.

And thank God -- it wouldn't have been the same film without Christian Bale.

SilkyPup
I purr when I'm happy

Post by SilkyPup » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:51 am

I can't see DiCaprio playing Bateman. Just doesn't fit. He doesn't have the "presence" that bale had. I mean, when you watch this movie Bale IS Patrick bateman. And that's a rare thing in movies.

bagheadinc
Amityville Addict

Post by bagheadinc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:13 am

FEED ME A STRAY CAT
Image Image

Just Simon
There is no spoon....

Post by Just Simon » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:16 pm

Apparently Edward Norton was offered the role as Bateman but turned it down.

Brad Pitt was also considered...
Cheers,

Simon

Simon
formerly Just Simon

Re: American Psycho....

Post by Simon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:37 pm

I am currently reading the book again and had some spare time over the weekend so I watched the movie again (with my wife). She was fascinated with the movie, which kinda sucked for me coz I had to keep explaining a few things, but she is now a huge fan. She now wants to read the book, I have fore warned her that the book is alot more detailed than the movie. The other thing about this movie is that for me, they depict the late 80's so perfectly.

BillyCigars
American Psycho

Post by BillyCigars » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:14 pm

Agreed with everything you say. And yeah, the book is waaaaay more detailed. Stomach-turningly so ;)

Tim
The monkey supplied the glue.

Post by Tim » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:36 pm

I ordered this movie a week ago from Walmart.com. It arrived today and I watched it for the first time. I kept having flashes of Jim Carry in The Mask. In the raincoat scene they both reminded me of Jim Carry's antics.
"Things of this nature happen quite frequently,and when they happen to families, they usually close the door and they don't talk about it; and unless these things are talked about, they'll never be understood." - Kathy Lutz

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:55 am

American Psycho with Huey Lewis and Weird Al... :)

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/e36620 ... red_videos

BillyCigars
American Psycho

Post by BillyCigars » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:58 am

BRILLIANT!!!

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Ok, now the Huey Lewis song I want a new drug is playing inside my head. :fp: