American Psycho....

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
User avatar
Just Simon
There is no spoon....
Posts: 881
Location: Melbourne, Australia

American Psycho....

Post by Just Simon » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:43 pm

Firstly, hi all.... have been away for a while and have found my way back.

I must have been living under a rock, can you believe that I saw American Psycho for the first time over the weekend.

Gotta tell ya, as well as finding this to be a great thought provoking movie, I thought it was as funny as hell, Patrick Bateman is a ripper. I actually work with a couple of Pat Bateman type people :lol: :lol: :lol:

The scene with Sabrina and Kristy (I think that was their names) with the mirrors and the video camera, I was actually laughing that hard I had tears in my eyes :lol:

What about some of the lines....
"You'll have to excuse me, I have a lunch meeting with Cliff Huxtable at the four Seasons.."

Waiter - "Would you like to hear today's specials"
Bateman - "Not if you want to keep your spleen"
BWAhahahahaha..... :lol:

So...did he really do it or imagine it......or did Paul Allans family suspect the he was behind the murders and cover it up ? :wink:
Cheers,

Simon

User avatar
BillyCigars
American Psycho
Posts: 2840
Location: I Have To Return Some Videotapes

Post by BillyCigars » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:41 pm

Hey Simon,

That's been my favorite movie for years (if you couldn't tell from my avatar). The best thing to do if you can, is to read the book of the same name by Bret Easton Ellis. It's difficult to tell whether he imagined it or not from the movie. But the book (well, actually the author) is making a commentary on the Wall Street, monied types of 1980's New York.

It was the era of ultimate selfishness and vanity. And if you read between the lines, he may actually have done all these horrible things -- but.no.one.cared. And if they did suspect he was up to something, they may have turned a blind eye because for them to inform the authorities, it might have screwed up their social lives.

There's one scene in the movie that really gives this away: When he returns to Paul Allen's apartment after giving his telephone confession, he sees that the place is totally cleaned up as though nothing ever happened. Then he's confronted by the real estate broker who tells him not to make any trouble and to leave.

In other words, it really DID happen but this lady was far more interested in making money from selling the place than allowing it to sit on the market for months while the police investigated a murder that occurred there.

It was Bret Easton Ellis's (and by extension, director Mary Harron's) tale of greed, selfishness, & vanity. To the extreme.

Glad you liked it -- its an even better read!
"The old man's still an artist with a Thompson."

User avatar
SilkyPup
I purr when I'm happy
Posts: 3124
Location: In West-by-God-Virginia
Contact:

Post by SilkyPup » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:14 am

Simon, I laughed when reading your post cuz those were some great parts to the movie. I like when he tries to break up with his fiance and she says that they have the same friends so it won't work lol

Love the movie and I lent my copy of it out a ton of times. Worth recommending! :wink:
Im not little, Im funsize!

User avatar
Just Simon
There is no spoon....
Posts: 881
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Just Simon » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:27 am

BillyCigars wrote:Hey Simon,

That's been my favorite movie for years (if you couldn't tell from my avatar). The best thing to do if you can, is to read the book of the same name by Bret Easton Ellis. It's difficult to tell whether he imagined it or not from the movie. But the book (well, actually the author) is making a commentary on the Wall Street, monied types of 1980's New York.

It was the era of ultimate selfishness and vanity. And if you read between the lines, he may actually have done all these horrible things -- but.no.one.cared. And if they did suspect he was up to something, they may have turned a blind eye because for them to inform the authorities, it might have screwed up their social lives.

There's one scene in the movie that really gives this away: When he returns to Paul Allen's apartment after giving his telephone confession, he sees that the place is totally cleaned up as though nothing ever happened. Then he's confronted by the real estate broker who tells him not to make any trouble and to leave.

In other words, it really DID happen but this lady was far more interested in making money from selling the place than allowing it to sit on the market for months while the police investigated a murder that occurred there.

It was Bret Easton Ellis's (and by extension, director Mary Harron's) tale of greed, selfishness, & vanity. To the extreme.

Glad you liked it -- its an even better read!
Hey Billy...kinda late here...I will reply tomorrow...
:D
Cheers,

Simon

User avatar
Just Simon
There is no spoon....
Posts: 881
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Just Simon » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:29 am

SilkyPup wrote:Simon, I laughed when reading your post cuz those were some great parts to the movie. I like when he tries to break up with his fiance and she says that they have the same friends so it won't work lol

Love the movie and I lent my copy of it out a ton of times. Worth recommending! :wink:
"what about our past"
"we never really shared one"

Luv it Silk...more later
Cheers,

Simon

User avatar
SilkyPup
I purr when I'm happy
Posts: 3124
Location: In West-by-God-Virginia
Contact:

Post by SilkyPup » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:18 am

"what about our past"
"we never really shared one"
There went my coffee. You owe me a new keyboard!
Im not little, Im funsize!

User avatar
Just Simon
There is no spoon....
Posts: 881
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Just Simon » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:40 pm

There's one scene in the movie that really gives this away: When he returns to Paul Allen's apartment after giving his telephone confession, he sees that the place is totally cleaned up as though nothing ever happened. Then he's confronted by the real estate broker who tells him not to make any trouble and to leave.
Yeah...that scene had me a little confused, from what I gathered Patrick went to Paul Allen's apartment the next afternoon, I remember the real estate broker asking "are you my 2pm", that was one hell of a clean up job. Who removed the bodies, heads etc. Surely someone is going to notice a semi naked girl with a chainsaw hanging out of her at the bottom of a stairwell :lol: . I guess that is why I asked the question of whether Paul Allen's family suspected him of the murders and cleaned up the scene.

What was the deal with the business cards...how many "Vice Presidents" can Pierce & Pierce have ? That whole scene had me smiling. :)

Why did the lawyer at the end say that he had dinner with Paul Allen in London when Bateman was asking whether he had received the message that he had left. The lawyer didn't believe that Pat Bateman was actually Pat Bateman.

Sorry for the questions....I will watch the movie again tonight. Now....to find the book.
Cheers,

Simon

User avatar
Just Simon
There is no spoon....
Posts: 881
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Just Simon » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:49 pm

SilkyPup wrote:
"what about our past"
"we never really shared one"
There went my coffee. You owe me a new keyboard!
Bateman: "I am trying to listen to the new Robert Palmer tape, but Evelyn, my supossed fiancee', keeps buzzing in my ear" :lol:

Bateman: "Oh Africa, brave Africa...it was a laugh riot" (I actually burst out laughing at that one)

Courtney: " Listen Patrick...can we talk"
Patrick: "You look marvellous....there is nothing to say" :lol: :lol: (I might use that one)

This guy is a classic.....
Cheers,

Simon

User avatar
BillyCigars
American Psycho
Posts: 2840
Location: I Have To Return Some Videotapes

Post by BillyCigars » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:09 pm

Just Simon wrote:What was the deal with the business cards...how many "Vice Presidents" can Pierce & Pierce have ? That whole scene had me smiling. :)
I didn't start working on Wall Street until 2002, but from about the mid-80's up until the very late 90's, every Broker on the Street who worked for a Wirehouse had "Vice President" on his card. The same went for Investment Bankers (which is what they were at Pierce & Pierce). It was just an important-sounding title that eventually everyone stopped using because it no longer meant anything -- EVERYONE was a Vice President, lol. I think Morgan Stanley was the last to finally change the titles.
Just Simon wrote:Why did the lawyer at the end say that he had dinner with Paul Allen in London when Bateman was asking whether he had received the message that he had left. The lawyer didn't believe that Pat Bateman was actually Pat Bateman.
Here's my take:

It wasn't that Patrick was surprised that his lawyer had dinner with Paul Allen 2 weeks ago that was a big deal -- it was the look of bewilderment on his face when the realization came over him that his lawyer just didn't care (the timeline was probably solid -- he probably WAS killed just 2 weeks prior after having dinner with the lawyer). So, Bateman's bewilderment was that even though he confessed his crimes, the very man who would believe him and who he could confide in, ultimately just didn't care and in fact didn't want to be troubled.

That's why he mentions his "confession" at the end (in his internal monologue) and that in the end, it just didn't matter.

Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll try and send you the book in Microsoft Word format. It's a great read!
"The old man's still an artist with a Thompson."

User avatar
Just Simon
There is no spoon....
Posts: 881
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Just Simon » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:52 pm

PM sent Billy :D
Cheers,

Simon

User avatar
BillyCigars
American Psycho
Posts: 2840
Location: I Have To Return Some Videotapes

Post by BillyCigars » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:01 am

PM replied to & Email sent!
"The old man's still an artist with a Thompson."

User avatar
Just Simon
There is no spoon....
Posts: 881
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Just Simon » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:49 pm

Thanks Billy, will check it out tonight. Good onya mate, you are a true gentleman.

now.....I have to go return some video tapes :wink:
Cheers,

Simon

User avatar
SilkyPup
I purr when I'm happy
Posts: 3124
Location: In West-by-God-Virginia
Contact:

Post by SilkyPup » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:55 am

now.....I have to go return some video tapes
Wait. Didn't you just say you had a meeting with Cliff Huxtable? Which is it? LOL

After you read the book Simon, you can tell me what you think...but something I thought was interesting is, when I saw the movie, I got the impression this was a more "recent" thing with him. Then, in the book, you get the impression he'd been doing this for years.....
Im not little, Im funsize!

User avatar
Just Simon
There is no spoon....
Posts: 881
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Just Simon » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:22 pm

PM replied to & Email sent!
You Sir, are a legend. Got it, thanks Billy :D
Wait. Didn't you just say you had a meeting with Cliff Huxtable? Which is it? LOL
Yeah well....lunch was great, returned some videotapes in the afternoon and later that day I caught a show...Oh Africa, brave Africa...it was a laugh riot. :lol:
After you read the book Simon, you can tell me what you think...but something I thought was interesting is, when I saw the movie, I got the impression this was a more "recent" thing with him. Then, in the book, you get the impression he'd been doing this for years.....
Will do Silk ! Am reading it now.....well not right now...
Cheers,

Simon

User avatar
BillyCigars
American Psycho
Posts: 2840
Location: I Have To Return Some Videotapes

Post by BillyCigars » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:16 pm

No problem Simon; glad you've gotten it and will be reading it! Keep us posted on your thoughts!
"The old man's still an artist with a Thompson."

User avatar
SilkyPup
I purr when I'm happy
Posts: 3124
Location: In West-by-God-Virginia
Contact:

Post by SilkyPup » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:54 am

:wink: Simon

I am glad to see that other's thought this movie was funny too. Makes me feel less twisted :twisted:
Im not little, Im funsize!

User avatar
bagheadinc
Amityville Addict
Posts: 121
Location: Salisbury, MD
Contact:

Post by bagheadinc » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:08 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:Duct tape. I need it for... taping something.
Image Image

User avatar
Brendan72
Forest Giant
Posts: 3018
Location: Australia
Contact:

Post by Brendan72 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:51 pm

I have read the book ... very interesting and well written. Unlike any other work of fiction I have read in terms of writing style.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

User avatar
Just Simon
There is no spoon....
Posts: 881
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Just Simon » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:58 pm

I am currently reading the book Brendan, if you get a chance you have got to see the movie.
Cheers,

Simon

User avatar
ToxiMoron
Amityville Addict
Posts: 215
Location: In A Van Down By The River

Post by ToxiMoron » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:07 am

Ha-ha, that movie was wickedly hilarious. And I read the book about a year later. I couldn't put the book down. It's funny, the items he buys.
"Did I forget to mention that I'm totally insane?" ROFL
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/MRTODDSTER/HotChixSig.jpg[/img]

User avatar
Just Simon
There is no spoon....
Posts: 881
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Just Simon » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:46 pm

Ok...so I have read the book (thanks again Billy), my book report coming up soon.
Cheers,

Simon

Post Reply