Drive to West Virginia

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
KevinW
Amityville Maniac

Drive to West Virginia

Post by KevinW » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:22 am

Went down to Thurmond, West Virginia at the end of last month. Thought I'd share the ride with you all. :)

Unfortunately, with the decline in coal traffic due to the mines in the area getting shut down by the government, I only saw one train on the trip, and that was Amtrak's westbound Cardinal. Before it came through, I did get a bunch of pictures around the town of where scenes from the 1987 movie Matewan were filmed, trying to match scenes from the movie with what the town looks like today. The Cardinal then arrived about 25 minutes late. By the time it reached Chicago, it would be 9 hours late due to hitting a downed tree in Indiana that took out the horn and windshield on the locomotive. Thankfully, nobody was hurt.

Driving home, I tried testing my new camera by shooting the night drive from West Virginia into Ohio.

Kevin
All football is is a bunch of over-pumped jocks on steroids who say they're straight while they smack each other's behinds and chase each other around on a field so they can tackle another guy to play with that guy's ball.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Re: Drive to West Virginia

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:10 pm

KevinW wrote:Before it came through, I did get a bunch of pictures around the town of where scenes from the 1987 movie Matewan were filmed, trying to match scenes from the movie with what the town looks like today.
Nicely done!

KevinW
Amityville Maniac

Re: Drive to West Virginia

Post by KevinW » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:50 pm

Thanks! Was hoping for more trains that day, but I thought it was still a nice trip. Nice to get out away from the hustle and bustle of city life from time to time.

Kevin
All football is is a bunch of over-pumped jocks on steroids who say they're straight while they smack each other's behinds and chase each other around on a field so they can tackle another guy to play with that guy's ball.