What Kind Of Music Do You Listen To?

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:51 am

Deadguydan wrote:I like all kinds of music except for hip hop, rap and country.
Yeah, sounds like me (relative :wink: ). I listen mainly to old rock and older punk. I dislike rap & country, but there are a few rap and country songs that are wonderful. Even though there are styles of music that are not my thing, I think there are certain songs which transcend their labels.

My fave bands include The Beatles, Madness, The Residents, The Sex Pistols, Bowie, The Buzzcocks, Nirvana...

Sparks is another of my faves. They've been around since the 70s, and next month they'll be performing a series of concerts in London. They're playing 21 nights, with each night devoted to performing one of their 21 albums. Its one of those times I wish I could switch places with Sherb and live in England... :(

Their 21st album is due out at the end of May, and the single for it will be a song called "Good Morning," about a guy who wakes up to find a strange woman sharing his bed. The lyrics are hilarious:
Good morning!
Who are you?
I woke up and saw you
I'm dreaming - still dreaming
My life is now about to have some meaning

Good morning!
I'm thinking
I must have been drinking
And said something clever
It must have been the best line from me, ever

Thank you, God, for something rare as this
What surely must have been a holy night of bliss
Gratitude for having thought of me
I know your time is tight, and yet you thought of me

Good morning!
You woke-up
Got dressed-up
Hair messed-up
When I fix you breakfast
I hope its just your laugh that is infectious

Good morning in sorrow
I know that tomorrow
You'll be with some winner
Whose richer, younger, maybe even thinner

Rubles in the bank and petrol in the tank of some Mercedes Benz
Spends and spends and spends a lot at restaurants
A thousand phony friends
But will we he ever wish you a "Good Morning"?

Thank you, God, for something rare as this
What surely must have been a holy night of bliss
Gratitude for having thought of me
I know your time is tight, and yet you thought of me

And did I stumble - have a fall?
Hit my head against a wall?
At some point did we trade vows?
Are you just a high-priced service from uptown?

Good morning!
Bon dgiorno!
Ohayo!
Buenos Dias!
Hey where are you going?
Hey where are you going?
Does das vidanya really mean "good morning"?

Please spare me derision
I'll do my rendition
A lengthy recital
Of every song with "foolish" in the title

Good morning!
Good morning!
Good morning!
I need you
I need you
Who are you?

If you wanna hear it, here's an MP3 of it being played on the radio: Good Morning

fairlyodd_58
Earthbender

Post by fairlyodd_58 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:06 pm

I don't care for modern rap. I like 90's rap, such as Will Smith, who's been around since 1989, so I pretty grew up listening to him. I watch The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air every night on Nick @ Nite.

♫In West Philadelphia, born and raised...♫

ToxiMoron
Amityville Addict

Post by ToxiMoron » Sat May 03, 2008 1:42 pm

Everything from the pioneers of rock (Little Richard, Bill Haley & His Comets, etc.), to Nirvana, and that's about it. No rap or what they like to call R&B nowadays.
Right now I'm listening to The Who's My Generation Deluxe Edition, and having a musigasm at the vast differences in sound compared to the original album.
Heh. It'll just be a matter of time until some younger people don't even know what I mean when I type "Album!" :shock:
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/MRTODDSTER/HotChixSig.jpg[/img]

Grave
If looks could kill then death would be my name...

Post by Grave » Tue May 06, 2008 9:28 am

grew up listening to Kiss...but most of the stuff i like are punk and old school hardcore...
Misfits
Dead Kennedys
The Meatmen
Black Flag
Token Entry
Cro-Mags
Dead Milkmen
NY Dolls
Sex Pistols
Sick Of It All
The Cramps
Minor Threat
Ramoans
[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/GraveDiggersUnion/nutskick.gif[/img]

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue May 06, 2008 11:18 am

Great stuff! I remember when the Dead Kennedys released their single for "California Uber Alles" - it sounded so new. It had a style all of its own, even when compared to other punk bands of the time. I loved that song, and played that 45 constantly.

.............I am governor Jerry Brown
.............My aura smiles and never frowns
.............Soon I will be President...

.............Carter power will soon go away
.............I will be fuher one day
.............I will command all of you
.............Your kids will meditate in school...

I hated it, though, when they tried updating it to fit the times, like replacing "Carter" with "Reagan" or whoever. That wasn't so bad in itself, but they'd get carried away, and change almost all of the lyrics in the process...

But the Dead Kennedys definitely had a new unique sound when they released their first album. That was a cool aspect to early punk rock in the 70s - so many bands had such different sounds. Bands like the Sex Pistols had their raw, angry sound; the Bad Brains and the Dickies had their hyper-fast songs; Devo and the Screamers had their synthesizer-driven rock; Blondie was in the same vein as early Madonna but was still considered "punk"; The Cramps were like punk-rockabilly-sex...

Maybe I'm just an old fart, but so many of the more commercial punk bands today sound just like Green Day (who in turn sound like the Descendents). I don't know if that's a bad thing, though - and like I say, it might just be that as I grow older, I get lazier about listening to new music...

Grave

Post by Grave » Tue May 06, 2008 11:31 am

i couldn't tell you who the new "punk" bands are anymore...i dont think anything you hear as mainstream;ie Greenday, are punk...i can remember when the B-52's released Love Shack and everyone was like "have you heardthat new group The B-52's??!! :roll:
the best music to me are from the 70's and 80's...i know the Dead Kennedys have a new singer and they say he's good but without Jello Biafra it wouldn't be the same...
[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/GraveDiggersUnion/nutskick.gif[/img]

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue May 06, 2008 12:23 pm

Yeah, without Jello it can't be the same. Its too bad what happened to them.

But a lot of those old bands are still out and touring. Stiff Little Fingers played near me just the other night. Unfortunately I completely zoned-out and missed the show... :(

Grave

Post by Grave » Tue May 06, 2008 12:39 pm

think the best show i got to see was either The Meatmen or The Misfits...they would actually interact with the crowd and hang out afterwards and shoot the breeze...Tesco Vee has to be one of the funniest people i've met...

ToxiMoron
Amityville Addict

Post by ToxiMoron » Wed May 07, 2008 7:11 am

Grave wrote:i couldn't tell you who the new "punk" bands are anymore...i dont think anything you hear as mainstream;ie Greenday, are punk...i can remember when the B-52's released Love Shack and everyone was like "have you heard that new group The B-52's??!! :roll:
That's always funny when that happens. Kids talking about great "new" rock stars like Eric Clapton and Carlos Santana! :lol:
The B-52's are great. I've liked that band since "Rock Lobster." 8-)
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/MRTODDSTER/HotChixSig.jpg[/img]

VicRealty
Amityville Member

Post by VicRealty » Wed May 07, 2008 8:28 am

]v[EGADET]-[

AvengingxAngel
Golden age of Grotesque

Post by AvengingxAngel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:28 pm

Here's the types I listen to:
-Emo
-Rock
-Metal
-EDM
-Alternative
-Punk
[img]http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac128/Marcella917/sig2.jpg[/img]
♦Miss Murder♦™

Howard64
ta-wo-di u-s-di

Post by Howard64 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:35 pm

I grew up listening to a wide variety of music. Rock, classical, Native music, Jazz...but it hasn't been until the last few years i have been getting heavily into opera.

I have taken the time to sit and actually listen to the words and feel the music. I'm amazed at the depth and meaning behind it!!

And it affords me to learn a bit of Italian in the process:)
" A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of
the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Architect of light 75
Father Bolen's son

Re: What Kind Of Music Do You Listen To?

Post by Architect of light 75 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:08 am

Hey Dave Shining :!:

How are you ?

I used to be into hip-hop in the early 90's then I turned to hard rock & heavy metal in 95 (Iron Maiden, Aerosmith..). Through those years I was still enjoying Michael Jackson as well but I thought his music was poor after the History album (forget the "Invicible" album..).

Today I can still enjoy some rap but I mostly listen to some hard rock & metal like Freak Kitchen or Joe Satriani and some rock-blues like ZZ Top or even some Country Music, I love Country music. Sometimes I listen to some classical music (Edward Elgar for exemple)..

Have a nice day I guess :D

P.S: Smootchie Bootchie..
:rotate: http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard ... php?t=4373

"[..] It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step."

*Architect Of Light :idea:

msammons
Amityville Addict

Post by msammons » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:00 am

Well I am definitely an oddball here, I love classic country like George Jones, Loretta Lynn etc but I also like The Eagles, James Taylor, Darius Rucker (aka Hootie) and Emmylou Harris. Orange and Black, glad to know I am not the only one who listens to the Carpenters. My IPOD would indicate I have about hundred personalities.
Mary
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/spooks/

tomspy77
Son of Davros

Post by tomspy77 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:16 am

I love music about as much as I love words, Doctor Who and ghosts and other unknowns, so my music list is quite jumbled and all ovet the place, but if I had to pick a top ten (Followed by a top five in rap/hip hop, because even though it it is not my favorite genre of music, it has it's bright points.), it would be thus:

1. Metallica
2. Megadeth
3. Alice in Chains
4. Beatles
5. ELO
6. Nirvana
7. Alice in Chains
8. Testament
9. Foo Fighters
10. Led Zep

I could go on and on and on...

RAP:
1. Gangstarr
2. Ice Cube
3. Ice-T (Bodycount album mostly)
4. Eminem (Besides the last album)
5. Can't think of a fifth right now...

crabs_jubilee
Amityville Member

Post by crabs_jubilee » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:34 am

Currently: Mainly Lady GaGa.

Here's my last.fm. Add me if you'd like http://www.last.fm/user/crabs_jubilee

costerluver
Amityville Addict

Post by costerluver » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:10 pm

Classic Rock all the way! My favourites include The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Rush, Queen and Jimi Hendrix. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of all the Israeli pop music I've been hearing lately. Oh well.
Some people are like slinkies. They're really good for nothing but they still put a smile on your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

By the time you finish reading this you would have realized that it doesn't say anything worth reading and that you just wasted 5 seconds of your life

eber3
complete jackass

Post by eber3 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:14 pm

tomspy77
Son of Davros

Post by tomspy77 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:53 pm

costerluver wrote:Classic Rock all the way! My favourites include The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Rush, Queen and Jimi Hendrix. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of all the Israeli pop music I've been hearing lately. Oh well.
Most of the above is really top shelf music to me, like I said, my tastes are all over the place in rock.

tomspy77
Son of Davros

Post by tomspy77 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:00 pm

I'm taking that as a joke but even if you were being serious I'm sorry but that had me LMAO! :lol:

eber3
complete jackass

Post by eber3 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:39 pm

tomspy77 wrote:

I'm taking that as a joke but even if you were being serious I'm sorry but that had me LMAO! :lol:
Semi joke. It is so funny that I found myself watching it again and again, and then the techno disco polka beat got into my brain and I couldn't get it out!!!! :breakdance: :breakdance:

Here's another of their videos featuring the Britney Spears wanna be dancers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJY8GHV7 ... re=related

I swear to god this stuff is contagious, it grows on you like fungus.