My Birthday Tale

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
RowdyRodimus
Amityville Member

My Birthday Tale

Post by RowdyRodimus » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:49 am

I collect Transformers. I love them. I've been a fan since the first time I saw an Optimus Prime at Walmart at age 8 and have collected them ever since. There is a "newer" line of them called Masterpieces that use officially licensed cars and planes that Transform into cartoon accurate bot modes. They aren't cheap, starting at about $80 for a 1/24 scale vehicle.

When I was a kid and they were new, we ddn't have many kids on the street I lived on and my Dad worked nights, so my Mom would sit at the table with me playing Transformers. Her favorite was Bumblebee (not the Camaro from the movies but the classic yellow Volkswagen Bug). Around August of 2012, they released pictures of the prototype for a Bumblebee Masterpiece. I showed it to my Mom and she said "When it comes out, I'm making sure you get one of those". Well, she passed away in December of that year not living to see them come out.

My birthday was March 10. Around the first of March I got an email saying I had won a drawing that I don't remember entering and that my prize was on the way with a tracking number that showed March 10 as the arrival date. Well, we celebrated my birthday the 9th since everyone was in town and off of work that day. While we were together, the mail showed up and I had to sign for a box. I opened it up and lo and behold, inside was a fresh from a case, Masterpiece Bumblebee.

I know it was probably just coincidence, but for it to somehow jump a day in shipping to be here when we celebrated my birthday (which has never happened with our postal service here), to winning a contest I didn't enter, for the prize to be something that has been out for a year and scariest of all, getting my email returned to the person who sent me the winner notification just makes it seem like my Mom wanted me to have it for my birthday.

I know there is probably a rational reason why I got it when I did, but there's a bit of comfort in thinking that my Mom, even though she is gone, is still out there looking out for me and wanting me to have the one thing I wanted but hadn't told anyone about since they would see the price (close to $100) and say I was an idiot for wanting it.

Ayko
Amityville Addict

Re: My Birthday Tale

Post by Ayko » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:53 am

I can see why Transformers would appeal to many and understand their cool way of emphasizing creativity with play and for collectors. Not for me because I reserve physical metamorphosis to shapeshifters like vampires and werewolves and to the caterpillar/butterfly when I play. That's interesting and reminds me of your story, your mom's ''favorite was Bumblebee (not the Camaro from the movies but the classic yellow Volkswagen Bug...' which was a metamorphosis.

In any case, a nice story. Thanks for sharing it. There is no coincidence, in a philosophical sense, and especially in such a series of circumstances. You can leave the special memory as a magical unexplained phenomena or you could research it further. The rational explanation you are sure that exists probably lies in yet unexplained science some call magic or spitualism or even invisible justice. The point is, that there were forces behind the events, whether physical or beyond or both, and I am happy for you. My mom in Canada only gave away my duplicate Batmobile made after the TV show from Dycast metal about the size of your hand (now worth a grand to the dealers and still priceless to me) along with all the Superhero action figures collection from youth to some guy collecting donations door to door while me and my brother were away travelling with work. I still cannot believe she would save them in the 'attic basement' for over twenty years just to hand them over to a stranger because she didn't want to donate anything of her own, to some stranger. I still get my hairs on end thinking about it.

One other thing, RowdyRodimus, you shouldn't ever be embarrassed about something because of a label with a number, '$100Iamanidiot', because that hurts the magic of your love to the art of the Transformers World and takes away from your connection to them and fun. Who cares if it costs $100, $1.00 which is 100 ct, or $100 zillion cents when you are talking about something you love...
Father Ryan: I'm not in the habit of blaming Satan for every phenomenon.

radiomixer
Billy's Next Ex-Wife

Re: My Birthday Tale

Post by radiomixer » Sat May 02, 2015 2:30 am

RowdyRodimus wrote:I know there is probably a rational reason why I got it when I did, but there's a bit of comfort in thinking that my Mom, even though she is gone, is still out there looking out for me and wanting me to have the one thing I wanted but hadn't told anyone about since they would see the price (close to $100) and say I was an idiot for wanting it.
That is so far beyond cool! And that price is nothing, compared to how you get to feel when you see it. LOVED your story ... very sorry for your loss, though. But you know she keeps watch over you, don't you?

I have a question: Did anyone besides you and your Mom know about your conversation about the collectible?
"I'm gonna tell you straight up. I didn't care who they blamed as long as it wasn't me. I mean, that's the bottom line. I did not care. I didn't care then and I don't care now." - Ronald DeFeo Jr. interview for "First Person Killers"