Maggie Thatcher dies aged 87

Off-Topic Chatter About Anything Non-Amityville
Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Re: Maggie Thatcher dies aged 87

Post by Matt9290 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:22 am

That is the thing sherb my father left school with no qualifications whatsoever, and but back in 1959, living in Newcastle, the mines were always looking for employees - so he knew he was safe.

When the mines closed (because of Thatcher and Scargill) he realised he had to do something (having a wife and three kids to support).
The thing people forget about Thatcher is that she supported free education, and although we struggled for two years on social security, my father used this time to go to college and achieved three A-Level's, which in turn got him a cushy office job. This also taught him the value of education, and he insisted that me and my brothers (upon leaving school) followed his lead, and we all have degrees because of this.

In my opinion a lot of miners lost their jobs and gave up! It's a lot easier to blame someone else for the situation you are in rather than to find a way out of it yourself...

I'm not a 'Thatcher' fan, I just don't think she is the monster people maker her out to be, and you are right... She has become the focus for a lot of hatred brought about by frustration, not just at her, but frustration of the way things are now in the UK in general.

This coalition government we have at the moment is really a joke!
I cannot believe that a load of students help get the Liberal Democrats in to power under the understanding that University fees would not be changed, and the first thing they do is change it!
Thatcher, while I cannot claim to support all her policies, at least was up front about her views and stuck to them... Even over something as ridiculous as Poll Tax, which I totally disagreed with.... And what do we see sneaking back - Bedroom Tax - which is just Poll Tax under a different name.

If nothing else sherb, you have to admit that Spitting Image would have been a crap show without her :D
I wish I had the nerve not to tip...

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:25 pm

I agree about the funeral being a wee bit expensive. I also agree that
it's a huge knock for funding towards other things such as the NHS and
cuts to benefits for those who are disabled physically and mentally, but
disagree that it's Maggie's fault the funeral is costing around eight million
pounds - that's the current government for you.

Regardless, it's probably an extremely heartbreaking time for her family,
close friends and acquaintances. Even more so that the song, 'Ding dong
the witch is dead' from the Wizard of Oz is currently in the top 10 UK
charts and aimed towards her death. That's horrible.

It's also a shame for those who knew Maggie because they probably
aren't thinking of the expenses for her funeral, they just want to give
her a proper burial/cremation and to remember her life.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Rokiisun wrote:Regardless, it's probably an extremely heartbreaking time for her family,
close friends and acquaintances. Even more so that the song, 'Ding dong
the witch is dead' from the Wizard of Oz is currently in the top 10 UK
charts and aimed towards her death. That's horrible.
I doubt if they're even bothered. It's not like dissent over their mother's legacy is anything new to them. Some right-wing commentators have even suggested they'd find it amusing and be the first to purchase the song themselves. Hey, at least their mother is remembered, unlike some later PM's will be in 20 years time...

Anyway, the song just missed the top-spot:
Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead enters chart at two

Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead has failed to reach the number one spot in the music charts.

The Wizard of Oz song, which has been at the centre of an online campaign by opponents of Baroness Thatcher, reached number two after selling 52,605 copies.

However it was still more than 5,700 copies behind Duke Dumont and A*M*E with Need U (100%) which remained at the top for a second week.

Rival campaign song I'm In Love With Margaret Thatcher entered at 35.

The 1979 song by punk band Notsensibles sold 8,768 copies after a late push from Lady Thatcher fans.

The Official Charts Company said Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead was "one of the most controversial chart contenders of all time" following the death of Lady Thatcher last week.

On Friday Radio 1 controller Ben Cooper said in his BBC blog he had decided Sunday's Official Chart Show would not play the 51-second song in full.

He said the decision had been a "difficult compromise", saying he had to balance respect for someone who had just died with issues around freedom of speech.

Instead, host Jameela Jamil linked to a Newsbeat reporter who explained why the song was in the chart.

Two short clips of the song were played as Sinead Garvan gave details of the online campaign and explained why opponents had been critical of Lady Thatcher.

The news report - which ran for almost 40 seconds longer than the song itself - also included two views from members of the public on the controversy, with one saying it was "quite funny", while the other said it was "disgraceful".

The Notsensibles track was played in full on the programme, although Jamil did not introduce the song. The band was later mentioned as a new entry in the chart recap for songs 40 to 31, however the title was not named.

Cabinet Office Minister Francis Maude, who is overseeing Lady Thatcher's funeral arrangements, described the campaign to get Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead to the top of the charts as "extremely trivial".

"I just think that doing it in the wake of an old lady's death doesn't reflect terribly well on us," he told BBC Radio 5 live's Pienaar's Politics.

Aside from the controversy, Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead has become the first sub-60 second single to ever make the top 10.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22145306

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:49 am

I think the song (if nothing else) illustrates perfectly the almost troll-mentalities of some people who will jump on to any bandwagon.
I’m sure that her family did not expect their mother’s memory to be ‘’disrespected’’ in this manner.

Here is an article about the rehearsal and the family in todays The Daily Mirror
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ma ... er-1833271
Margaret Thatcher funeral: Emotional daughter Carol looks close to tears as she begins her "tough week"

Julabard
how strange...

Post by Julabard » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:11 am

I wore my Thatcher Tshirt to work last week and was told it was inappropriate :D

Here's the song that goes with de shirt
Okay, I see you there! There's a 12 gauge shotgun, waitin' for anybody trespassin'!

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:46 am

Julabard wrote:I wore my Thatcher Tshirt to work last week and was told it was inappropriate :D
I can't imagine why?