I am the year 1989

Maggie Thatcher dies aged 87

Post by Rokiisun » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:33 am

Following a stroke.

I don't know much about British Politics, but it is my understanding some
people are celebrating because they believe she did more damage to the
country than good and others are deeply saddened because Maggie was a
Political legend, who raised the bar and brought changes to the UK which
nobody else in that time period could have done better.

Regardless of what she did or didn't do, I still think it's a shame she has
passed away. It's never a nice thing when somebody dies of something like
a stroke, heart attack, cancer...

Come to think of it, until today I actually thought Maggie Thatcher had
passed away years ago... :| shows how much I know about British Politics... :shock:
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Re: Maggie Thatcher dies aged 87

Post by Matt9290 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:17 am

Thatcher was OK.
She stood her Ground over the Falklands and got rid of the ridiculous (almost communistic) stranglehold that the Unions had on the UK…

A lot of people thought she had already gone - I bumped in to my mate earlier, and told him ''It’s finally happening. Maggie is dead''
''Sh^t'' he replied. ''The Simpsons has been depressing recently.''
I wish I had the nerve not to tip...

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:54 am

I think she will always be more popular in America than what she was in the UK.

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:52 pm

Victoria Principles wrote:I think she will always be more popular in America than what she was in the UK.
The UK's general public never seem to like their PMs (Churchill aside). But Thatcher and Reagan were a good double act back in the 1980s, and I have to say I miss those carefree days.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:04 pm

I guess they were carefree if you had money and didn't work down a mine :think:

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:29 pm

Oh I've always had money and I've never worked down a mine... ;)

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:27 pm

I'm in love with Margaret Thatcher...

http://youtu.be/zq9j4QbSTC8

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:39 pm

I don't really have an opinion on Thatcher. I mean it was nice seeing a woman running the country, but not being British I didn't care about or follow what she did. She seemed to be in lock-step with Ronald Reagan, and I really didn't like Reagan very much; but I'll leave it to you Brits to judge her life.

More popular in America? :think:

Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Post by Rokiisun » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:30 am

Apparently there were street parties in Glasgow celebrating her death :shock:

I was only a year old when she stopped being the prime minister so I don't know
much about what she did. My mum lived in Glasgow up until 1982 and she told me
about the mines closing, the school milk no longer being free and how mostly all
her wages had to go to her parents for digs because they were badly affected by the
changes Thatcher brought to Scotland.

I see it this way: she did what had to be done, she knew 50% of the country could end
up hating her - but she stuck to her guns.

As for it being her fault that Britain is how it is now... Hardly.
We have had different governments and prime ministers in power
since Thatcher which had plenty of opportunities (and still do) to
turn the UK around and guess what? They haven't. Not enough jobs
are being created, there's apparently a problem with immigration control,
changes to the benefits system affecting many people in and out of work...
it's crazy.
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.

VampireKen
Amityville Film Historian

Post by VampireKen » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:11 pm

Her track record on civil rights was probably just a little above North Korea's.
"Sometimes, it's not the house that's haunted. It's the People."-Self

For Info on Filming Details of the Amityville Horror Trilogy, please view http://amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6594&start=210

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:10 pm

Matt9290 wrote:Oh I've always had money and I've never worked down a mine... ;)
That's true. She destroyed unions because of their "communist connections"? It was just an excuse to destroy unions and remove workers' rights which had been established over decades.

You will find that many people at the funeral and paying respects never had to work a day's REAL work in their lives, and grew up in privilege.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:47 am

Brendan72 wrote:
Matt9290 wrote:Oh I've always had money and I've never worked down a mine... ;)
That's true. She destroyed unions because of their "communist connections"? It was just an excuse to destroy unions and remove workers' rights which had been established over decades.

You will find that many people at the funeral and paying respects never had to work a day's REAL work in their lives, and grew up in privilege.
I live/and lived in Newcastle during the Thatcher years... Newcastle was renowned as being the largest mining area in the UK. My father worked down mines all his life, until Thatcher closed them, then he 're-educated' himself.

OK it was tough for a while - but these bleeding hearts who have demonised Thatcher in to being some sort of boogeyman are/were nothing more than self pitying morons with no ambition, who suddenly found they had a scapegoat for there lack of education and lack of drive!

Thatchers main opponents in her elections were Michael Foot and Neil Kinnock... Two spineless 'do-gooders' who wanted to get rid of most of our links with the USA, and wanted to leave the UK vulnerable to all sorts of dangers - such as the USSR.
My household (like almost all households in Newcastle) were Labour supporters through and through, but even my father could not bring himself to vote for either of these candidates, so did not vote at all - which is why she kept getting reelected.

Thatcher was no angel, but she did what had to be done to keep this country 'free' and the people safe.
Everyone conveniently forgets that Arthur Scargill would call the miners on strike in the cold, leaving pensioners to freeze, and instigated violence amongst his workers - even advocated it against the police.

Arthur Scargill was a Communist trying to hold the government to ransom, and Thatcher called his bluff. He also embezzled Union fees, but again, the bleeding hearts conveniently forget this.

Thatcher was by no means the best prime minister the UK has ever had, but equally she does not deserve the mindless backlash she is getting now. A month ago nobody gave her a second thought!!!
She just become a scapegoat for peoples to vent their frustration at... many of which were too young or not even born when she was in power.

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:52 am

Rokiisun wrote:Apparently there were street parties in Glasgow celebrating her death :shock:

I was only a year old when she stopped being the prime minister so I don't know
much about what she did. My mum lived in Glasgow up until 1982 and she told me
about the mines closing, the school milk no longer being free and how mostly all
her wages had to go to her parents for digs because they were badly affected by the
changes Thatcher brought to Scotland.

I see it this way: she did what had to be done, she knew 50% of the country could end
up hating her - but she stuck to her guns.

As for it being her fault that Britain is how it is now... Hardly.
We have had different governments and prime ministers in power
since Thatcher which had plenty of opportunities (and still do) to
turn the UK around and guess what? They haven't. Not enough jobs
are being created, there's apparently a problem with immigration control,
changes to the benefits system affecting many people in and out of work...
it's crazy.
:clap: You said it perfectly Rokiisun :clap:

VampireKen

Post by VampireKen » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:53 am

Thatcher was also opposed to Germany becoming one united democratic country.

For Info on Filming Details of the Amityville Horror Trilogy, please view http://amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6594&start=210

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:17 pm

VampireKen wrote:Thatcher was also opposed to Germany becoming one united democratic country.
A glib statement, but I'll play along...

Hummm, I wonder why Thatcher opposed it?
Obviously I know the answer to this, and I'm sure you are already aware that she wanted (and welcomed) East German democracy...
I just wondered (as you term yourself as a ''Historian/Student'') if you would like to enlighten us on why she "opposed to Germany becoming one united democratic country" at that particular time?
And that was a clue!

VampireKen

Post by VampireKen » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:35 pm

Matt9290 wrote:
VampireKen wrote:Thatcher was also opposed to Germany becoming one united democratic country.
A glib statement, but I'll play along...

Hummm, I wonder why Thatcher opposed it?
Obviously I know the answer to this, and I'm sure you are already aware that she wanted (and welcomed) East German democracy...
I just wondered (as you term yourself as a ''Historian/Student'') if you would like to enlighten us on why she "opposed to Germany becoming one united democratic country" at that particular time?
And that was a clue!
Thatcher believed that if Germany re-united it would make Germany a superpower again, and possibly bring it back to the times of Adolf Hitler and the Nazis.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:40 pm

Matt9290 wrote: OK it was tough for a while - but these bleeding hearts who have demonised Thatcher in to being some sort of boogeyman are/were nothing more than self pitying morons with no ambition, who suddenly found they had a scapegoat for there lack of education and lack of drive!
Not everyone can make something from nothing. Having no money, and no prospect of gaining decent work in the near future isn't exactly going to get you to where you want to be in life.
Thatcher was no angel, but she did what had to be done to keep this country 'free' and the people safe.
Safe from... Russia?
Thatcher was by no means the best prime minister the UK has ever had, but equally she does not deserve the mindless backlash she is getting now. A month ago nobody gave her a second thought!!!
She just become a scapegoat for peoples to vent their frustration at... many of which were too young or not even born when she was in power.
That's true, but when an alleged £8 million is being spent on her funeral in a climate where the disabled are having their benefits cut and there's no money for the NHS, it's not going to go down well in some quarters, is it?

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:55 pm

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:31 am

All I hear is more self-pity and excuses... in short 'Bollocks'

The 1980s was a tense time, it gave rise to a bunch of self-proclaimed politically correct asses who instead of looking for work opportunities and education themselves, instead concentrated on finding excuses and ways to try to undermined people who succeeded, and the government of the time.

This generation (the offspring of these PC jackasses) are what makes Britain such a pathetic place to live in today. All the pride and passion we once over the United Kingdom had has all but gone, and been replaced by the views of these mindless morons who point their fingers at the government and blame it for everything.
The UK is a joke today - these morons have turned it in to a nanny state!!!

Why couldn't miners get reeducated or find alternative work? Are you trying to say they were too stupid to be reeducated and unwilling to move to areas where work existed???
Just sounds like more excuses to me
sherbetbizarre wrote:That's true, but when an alleged £8 million is being spent on her funeral in a climate where the disabled are having their benefits cut and there's no money for the NHS, it's not going to go down well in some quarters, is it?
What is your point sherb- do you think Margaret Thatcher put this in her will or something??? She has NO say over her funeral, you need to blame someone else for that :fp:

Matt9290
Oh My Goodness

Post by Matt9290 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:33 am

Dan the Damned wrote:
Pure class...
Ah - this is when Britain was still clinging on to it's greatness

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:58 am

Matt9290 wrote:Why couldn't miners get reeducated or find alternative work? Are you trying to say they were too stupid to be reeducated and unwilling to move to areas where work existed???
What did your father do that his friends were incapable of?
sherbetbizarre wrote:That's true, but when an alleged £8 million is being spent on her funeral in a climate where the disabled are having their benefits cut and there's no money for the NHS, it's not going to go down well in some quarters, is it?
What is your point sherb- do you think Margaret Thatcher put this in her will or something??? She has NO say over her funeral, you need to blame someone else for that :fp:
I think people are blaming others - the current dissent incorporates the current government as much as it does the memory of Thatcher.