How Would You Make the Next Amityville Movie?

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics

Postby UFAlien » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:40 pm

With the recent flurry of cinematic activity around the Amityville legacy, I've been thinking... how would you do the next movie if you were in charge as writer/director?

The easiest answer, of course, would be to redo the original Lutz story as accurately as possible. But it's not terribly practical. As diluted and fictionalized as they were, audiences have seen that story twice on the big screen - another remake would be a tough sell. Instead, I got to thinking about what George Lutz said about his own project - a fictional story that "brings people back" to the original story. I think that would make more sense.

My Amityville movie would be a sequel - but not to Dollhouse or the remake or any of the other films. It would be a sequel to the true story as the Lutzes claimed it. I'd sprinkle in background exposition through dialogue, and maybe an opening title card. Ideally, I'd also either set up a website or use marketing (trailers, posters, etc) to direct the public to this one. As for the story itself, it would be set in the present day. The house, as in reality, has been lived in without problems for decades. The "dusty old wreck" route taken by Amityville: The Nightmare Continues seems cliche and tacky to me, and besides, it takes away from the connection to reality I'm after. The latest owner moves out peacefully, reporting no strange phenomena. A new family moves in, happy and optimistic. That's when things start to go wrong.

The idea is that Jodie left to follow the Lutzes, as they claimed in real life. This clears up a couple of problems - firstly, I don't need to put a goofy-looking demon pig on the screen. Secondly, using "Jodie" and "Amityville" together would probably just make most of the public think of the terribly generic and awfully disrespectful "Jodie DeFeo" from the 2005 movie. Instead, some of the other apparent multitude of entities would have stayed behind. I'd include the hooded demon in the fireplace and on the stairs, as it's been excluded from every Amityville movie so far. The same goes for the little boy's ghost.

The reasoning behind the decades of peace is simple. Allow me to repeat a phrase (probably incorrectly) - "The Devil's greatest accomplishment is convincing the world he doesn't exist." After the publicity from the DeFeo murders and Lutz hauntings, the entities have sort of gone into hiding. Had they continued to rampage, they would have had to deal with an increasingly attentive and concerned public, along with tons of ghost hunters, demonologists, religious types, et cetera. Instead, they've been biding their time until they're considered a hoax. This is also an excuse to "Hollywood it up" a bit and include some more extreme things than were in the original Lutz account; the entities are furious at having to wait so long for their fun, and powerful from their years of rest. I'd also address the "just get the hell out" problem. The Lutzes claimed they felt subliminally compelled to stay in the house. That's hard to convey to a mass audience onscreen. To ratchet up the terror factor and close a potential plot hole, I'll make use of another of the house's supposed real-life "abilities". Just as the family realizes what kind of danger they're in, they are trapped within - but no one on the outside can hear them.

As for things I won't include, besides Jodie:
--The Indian mumbo-jumbo
--Haunted lamps, dollhouses, clocks, and mirrors
--A huge underground labyrinth where the red room should be
--A sprawling Gothic mansion that looks nothing like the real house

But of course, there would be flies. Oh such flies would there be!

Also - two final and perhaps controversial choices. First, I'd keep it as secular as possible. Heavy Christian themes limit the audience and the fright factor. I'm not saying no religion allowed - but don't expect any heroic priests, vomiting nuns, last-minute exorcisms, or upside-down crosses. Secondly, I'd shoot it in 3D. I love 3D, and horror movies in particular work well in the format.

Thoughts on my idea? One of your own? Post away!
UFAlien
Amityville Addict

Re: How Would You Make the Next Amityville Movie?

Postby Victoria Principles » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:03 pm

What would be the point of creating another fictional movie?
Victoria Principles
Amityville Maniac

Postby UFAlien » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:14 pm

It's going to happen anyway, it might as well not suck. As I mentioned, even George was working on something like that before he died.
UFAlien
Amityville Addict

Postby VintageBoy91 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:29 pm

I would prefer a movie about the true story and the real events (both, DeFeo murders and Lutz experiences at 112). Not too fictional. The 2005 movie was too fictional.
VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict

Postby DC Fan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:41 pm

UFAlien wrote:It's going to happen anyway, it might as well not suck. As I mentioned, even George was working on something like that before he died.

UF:

If you are confident that you can write a good fictional movie ( and maybe you could ), why make it an Amityville tale at all except if it's some kind of callous cashing in? If others will do it, let their movies suck.

I dispute your idea that movie fans have seen this story twice, rather than maybe half a time. Anson's book, even though we don't know how much of it was Anson's fiction, was interesting and frightening enough to make a good movie, without being turned into a residential version of The Shining. My proof is that it still captures even your attention some 35 years later.

As for keeping it secular, how can you really when the Lutzes were not only believers themselves but also brought into the picture people who were professionally religious? You're forgetting about the success of The Exorcist anyway. Also, Stephen King in his Danse Macabre has argued that horror stories by their nature require a temporary suspension of disbelief.

So I am taking the simple way out, it should accurately tell the story. It may also be adjusted to take into account or allow to be expressed the perpectives of Chris Quaratino and Dan Lutz.
DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Postby Mary23 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:10 pm

I am tired of the fictional movies about Amityville are always the same and it sucks but your plot is kind of interesting and crazy :shock: .
Mary23
Amityville Member

Postby UFAlien » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:29 pm

DC Fan wrote:I dispute your idea that movie fans have seen this story twice, rather than maybe half a time.

I don't think they've seen the real story either. I'm looking at it from a mass-market, studio perspective: If we remake a movie that's only 6 years old, and was already a remake marketed as a true story, a new version that's "the even truer true story" is just going to piss people off, alienate them, and lose money.
UFAlien
Amityville Addict

Postby DC Fan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:54 am

UFAlien wrote:
DC Fan wrote:I dispute your idea that movie fans have seen this story twice, rather than maybe half a time.

I don't think they've seen the real story either. I'm looking at it from a mass-market, studio perspective: If we remake a movie that's only 6 years old, and was already a remake marketed as a true story, a new version that's "the even truer true story" is just going to piss people off, alienate them, and lose money.

I would not market it as any kind of re-make or claim that it is an "even truer true story". Especially regarding the 2005 production, how can something be a truer account of a "true" account that is a load of crap? It sounds to me that you have bought into the idea that accuracy with the book can't sell. It's been awhile since reading it but I believe The Exorcist was largely faithful to the book. The Omen had a pretty much complete correspondance, although few people knew that the screenplay was conceived first.

I would be tempted to call it The Amityville Horror Book and make explicit the claim that it is the only AH movie whose claim to be based on the book is accurate. There are lots of quotes that might be used from George, who commented on the movies many times.
DC Fan
Amityville Addict

Postby VintageBoy91 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:17 pm

Mary23 wrote:I am tired of the fictional movies about Amityville are always the same and it sucks but your plot is kind of interesting and crazy :shock: .

I totally agree! Most of those fictional movies are not good.
VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict

Postby UFAlien » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:39 pm

No, I think that the real story could have sold and been a great movie. But no matter what you market it as, the vast majority of the public will still see it as the same story.
UFAlien
Amityville Addict

Postby devilbustedinct » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:59 pm

Good God I wouldn't. When do we just admit enough is enough? Even a good movie I think would be considered adding insult to injury at this point, but I do like the above ideas.

How about a 2 hour INVESTIGATIVE REPORTS special instead?
devilbustedinct
Walking the Burning Fence

Postby Rokiisun » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:14 pm

I don't think I would make a movie entitled 'Amityville' or having anything to do with
Amityville because:

1) There are too many Amityville films.
2) Hollywood has a different take on horrors these days (slashers/teens).
3) All ideas for Amityville-based films have been taken.
4) It's genuinely hard to make a horror or thriller without being clique.

I had a horrible dream about a group of people in an abandoned hotel plunging to death on an elevator
and thought to myself, 'That would make a really scary film about a haunted hotel.' But Disney world
already have a 'Tower of Terror' ride with the exact same story so that idea's been taken too. :cry:
It is better to return a borrowed pot with a little something you last cooked in it.
Rokiisun
I am the year 1989

Postby VintageBoy91 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:25 am

Rokiisun wrote:I don't think I would make a movie entitled 'Amityville' or having anything to do with
Amityville because:

1) There are too many Amityville films.
2) Hollywood has a different take on horrors these days (slashers/teens).
3) All ideas for Amityville-based films have been taken.
4) It's genuinely hard to make a horror or thriller without being clique.

I had a horrible dream about a group of people in an abandoned hotel plunging to death on an elevator
and thought to myself, 'That would make a really scary film about a haunted hotel.' But Disney world
already have a 'Tower of Terror' ride with the exact same story so that idea's been taken too. :cry:

I think "haunted house movies" will never die out. There's nothing better than a good "haunted house movie". ;)
But you are right, there are a lot of slashers today. I don't think that ALL ideas for Amityville-based films have been taken. Creative screenwriters will always find a good story.
VintageBoy91
Amityville Addict

Return to Amityville Discussion