I am from Amityville

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
Amityville_11701
Friendly Amityville Resident

Re: I am from Amityville

Post by Amityville_11701 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:50 am

Welcome, optitom! 8-)

I'm not a native, but I'm here on a regular basis compliments of the United States Navy. I'm attached to the Operational Support Center just north of town.
My Amityville, New York Set on Flickr.com.

BooshaGirl
Amityville Addict

Post by BooshaGirl » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:09 pm

I always thought "Witches Brew" was a made up place, too. I am on the phone with my friend now...this very second. He said it is TRUE. The place WAS called that. He said it was on the corner of 110, which is known as Broadway in amityville.

Anyway, he says nobody really hung out there but drug addicts.

Tommy also says that Bobby Kelske had 40 people against a wall with a handgun and was shooting up peanut machines in a place called "Shadowbox" and Tommy had to talk Bobby "down."

Now he's talking about his health, so I don't wanna be rude.

BooshaGirl
Amityville Addict

Post by BooshaGirl » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:42 pm

sorry--Tommy corrected me. He said Kelske was shooting up the WITCHES BREW and the cops came and got Tommy to talk Bobby down...he had 40 people against the wall and was shooting at the peanut machines. He said that the "Witches Brew" was like an 8-stool bar...an "old man's" bar and that the Chatterbox was THEE place to hang out in the day. After "Scutty" (sp?) had a fight with someone there, he decided to open his OWN bar..which was called "Henry's," (duh) and that it later became "Dakota Rose" (a live band place) and the Chatterbox became "Chapter 2" and people still hung out there, but in the 60's and 70's, the CHATTERBOX was the place everybody hung out.

He said also that he knew of NO girl called GERALDINE GATES or ROMONDOE, but he would ask around (like I told you, he stopped hanging with Ronnie a few years before the murders but still saw him around town a lot).

Also, he reiterated that NOBODY---NOBODY (he was yelling it) called him "Butch." He said it may have been a family name or what they called him at home or in Brooklyn, but NOBODY called him that in Amityville.

Anyway, he did say he'd like to visit Ronnie in prison and he ALSO said that he won't join our board, but if we are ever in a live chat I can call him ("and I'll straighten them out and tell them the stuff I know") or you have a list of questions, he will answer them all.

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:49 pm

optitom wrote:I also have recent pics of the house from when i was there last year. i dont know if you can post pics here or not tho. I have a pic of their recent yardsale that was on the news...people were waiting in line to get in...lol. I guess it was a success. We used to play ice hockey on the river behind the house, cuz thats where the ice was the smoothest, but when we missed and the puck went into the boathouse, it was game over..we were too scared to retreive it, but we were kids...lol

Since when was there enough ice on the Amityville Creek for it to be safe to play hockey on?

optitom
Amityville Member

Post by optitom » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:40 pm

Yeah...its directly opposite of 110, or broadway at the end..on merrick road.. and every year there is enough ice on it to ice skate..the amityville river is brackish water, half salt and half fresh. i feel like im getting interrogated over where i was born and raised. Jesus, ill take anyone on a walking tour who wants to come with and show you all this...lol. I am just relaying facts of the place i was born and raised in. Im 42, so i was 5 when the murders occured. I didnt know any of the defeos, i was too young, i did meet kelske a few times when he would come in and have a beer at the bar i worked in which is jj's tavern now, but was the witches brew back then. To a kid growing up, it was just a house to us, but as kids, we did enjoy all the excitement...our parents didnt , but we did...lol

optitom
Amityville Member

Post by optitom » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:45 pm

He said that the "Witches Brew" was like an 8-stool bar...an "old man's" bar and that the Chatterbox was THEE place to hang out in the day. After "Scutty" (sp?) had a fight with someone there, he decided to open his OWN bar..which was called "Henry's," (duh) and that it later became "Dakota Rose" (a live band place) and the Chatterbox became "Chapter 2" and people still hung out there, but in the 60's and 70's, the CHATTERBOX was the place everybody hung out.
You are right on all accounts there. The chatterbox became chapter 2, and bob ubert who lived across the street from me on hamilton street owned it. Dakota rose then became fogey mahoneys and then cloud nine..lots of bars within walking distance on merrick road in amityville....lol, The witches brew still is an old mans bar...lmao...it was bad for awhile with drugs and all that, but i think george, the owner, has cleaned it up some. i still talk to george and his daughter julia who runs it now.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:03 pm

BooshaGirl wrote:I always thought "Witches Brew" was a made up place, too. I am on the phone with my friend now...this very second. He said it is TRUE. The place WAS called that. He said it was on the corner of 110, which is known as Broadway in amityville.
Does he know which years it was known as Witches Brew?

optitom
Amityville Member

Post by optitom » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:12 pm

Not sure of the years, i can call george whos the owner and ask, but i just message julia, his daughter on facebook and asked.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:19 pm

Cheers :)

optitom
Amityville Member

Post by optitom » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:43 pm

@ Amityville 11701.... Nice pics!! You even have one of my high school where i graduated..THANX!! I was in the navy too, stationed @ nas north island in san diego as an AO. Didnt know there was a navy base near Amityville. Wheres that at?

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:51 am

BooshaGirl wrote:I always thought "Witches Brew" was a made up place, too. I am on the phone with my friend now...this very second. He said it is TRUE. The place WAS called that. He said it was on the corner of 110, which is known as Broadway in amityville.

Anyway, he says nobody really hung out there but drug addicts.

Tommy also says that Bobby Kelske had 40 people against a wall with a handgun and was shooting up peanut machines in a place called "Shadowbox" and Tommy had to talk Bobby "down."

Now he's talking about his health, so I don't wanna be rude.
So was the bar Ronnie ran to after feigning that he found his parents dead named Henry's Bar or this Witch's Brew?

Deadguydan
Amityville Addict

Post by Deadguydan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:07 am

I thought it was Henry's according to police reports but in the book George has a sit down at the Witch's Brew. If that is right then I am assuming that Anson changed the location because the name was more fitting for a horror story.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:52 pm

Yeah, Ronnie was drinking in, then went back to, Henry's...

BooshaGirl
Amityville Addict

Post by BooshaGirl » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:48 pm

yes...it was Henry's, which is right next to Blue T Pizza, now known as B&B Seafood--it is really LITERALLY right around the corner from the DeFeo house. Walking distance. Like 2 blocks. I was there when it was being renovated yet again before it became the seafood place. My friend knows the new owner and let me go inside. I asked Tommy all kinds of questions (where the bar stools were--where everyone was sitting when Ronnie ran in, etc. It was quite a thrill, but he said the only thing that is the same now is the front door of the joint.

optitom
Amityville Member

Post by optitom » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:50 pm

Julia, ( the owners daughter) just messaged me on face book and told me the years it was called the witches brew..
JJs Bar my dad said early 70's to 1977 ....he also told me to tell you that harold hilf's uncle is back in town dave AKA " Uncle Buck" he said you knew him! when you comming for a visit?

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:56 pm

That's interesting - ask her if it was changed in 1977 because Jay Anson's book came out.

optitom
Amityville Member

Post by optitom » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:44 pm

Hey guys..i posted a couple more pics. They are of the witches brew, or jj's as it is called now. The outside one is small, but so is the bar..lol. I took them off od julias facebook page. Hope u enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69578943@N ... hotostream

OnTheMarkTexas
Amityville Addict

Post by OnTheMarkTexas » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:04 am

Dan the Damned wrote:This is the claim some people make, but have you any proof of this? George claims he paid the mortgage up until June or July before they eventually decided to give up on the house. And while we don't have proof of this, either, they did buy a house in Southern California just months later, so it would seem their credit and finances were actually pretty good.

I don't recall if it was on this forum or perhaps another one but I recall reading that the Lutzes were able to make some sort of deal with the bank to avoid the house being foreclosed upon. They were able to sign some sort of Quit Claim that basically gave the house/property back to the bank in return for no further requirement to continue paying the mortgage. Do you happen to know the details on this, Dan?
"Beauty fades but stupidity is for life."
- OnTheMarkTexas

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:32 am

George explained it to me back in 2004, but we talked about so much stuff that day, it was a case of "information overload." As such, I can't remember the details. But I believe he said the situation was handled in a way which did not negatively affect the Lutzes' credit (or something to that effect)...

OnTheMarkTexas
Amityville Addict

Post by OnTheMarkTexas » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:02 pm

Yeah, that's basically what I recall from what I had read years ago ... even after they left the house, the Lutzes still continued paying the mortgage, until it got to the point to where it just wasn't economically sound (they had relcoated to CA and it didn't make sense to keep the NY home).

I imagine it would be the same as the time I had gotten a car but after being laid off I returned it to the leinholder. It still showed up on my credit report but not as a repo since I gave it back to them on a voluntary basis and I had never missed a payment.

Wish I could find the website where I orgiunally ran across the details of the Lutzes giving the home back to the bank. It was a very informative post then went into some detial about real estate laws and such.
"Beauty fades but stupidity is for life."
- OnTheMarkTexas

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:07 pm

We've had such conversations here on this board.