56%
She was crazy
31%

Total votes: 16

VampireKen
Amityville Film Historian

Sarah Winchester and her house

Post by VampireKen » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:39 pm

Aside from Amityville, it may be the most infamous, and unusual ghost story. Was Sarah Winchester driven mad by the death of her child and husband? OR was there something else?
"Sometimes, it's not the house that's haunted. It's the People."-Self

For Info on Filming Details of the Amityville Horror Trilogy, please view http://amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6594&start=210

Sweet Zuni
Wicked As It Seems

Re: Sarah Winchester and her house

Post by Sweet Zuni » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:41 pm

I believe the death of her child and husband had a lot to do with it. I read that she thought the spirits were after her because their lives were taken away because of the Winchester rifles. I think after she moved to California, she had too much money and too much time on her hands, and therefore she became very eccentric. I know I would love to go tour the mansion!!

obsessed
Amityville Member

Post by obsessed » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:42 am

I dont know the story. Please tell me.

MerchBoi
Official Gay Mascot of Amityville

Post by MerchBoi » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:31 am

Don't know about Sarah herself, but having been to the mansion several times, it's definitely haunted.
MerchBoi...resident Gay Mascot for Amityville Horror Truth.

"The last chance,
The last dance,
One moment in time.
One song,
Doesn't last that long.
Life turns on a dime.
The wheels of fortune seem to pass you by.
Tomorrow there's a dawn again.
A dream can still be born again.
Take a chance,
While there still is time.
Because life turns on a dime."
-IN MY LIFE

Kinzoku
Quarter-Moon Inquisitor

Post by Kinzoku » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:38 am

VampireKen wrote:Aside from Amityville, it may be the most infamous, and unusual ghost story. Was Sarah Winchester driven mad by the death of her child and husband? OR was there something else?
Just one walk thru the Winchester Mansion and you can see just how haunted she was......after the '06 earthquake she lived on a bargemansion (yes) on the SF bay until it was safe enough to return to San Jose. Even then the entire front of the mansion (master bedroom and other rooms/and front door) were sealed up and never used again. Sarah changed/moved to a new bedroom. (Guess the 7story tower scared her when it came down).

Sarah was caught up in the same hysteria of the time (late19th century) of sceances and the afterlife/spirits that seemed to be sweeping certain regions of the country...(like Amityville with the suicide clubs).

kathyM
Princess

Post by kathyM » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:02 am

I think the deaths of her family drove her mad. She so wanted to believe in what the psychic/fortune teller fed to her. I think it gave her something to focus on, constantly adding onto the house, instead of having to think about her loss.

I believe the house is haunted now by her. I think she is still attatched to the house and doesnt want to let go. Probably some spirits of the construction workers hanging around too.

VampireKen

Post by VampireKen » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:28 pm

The most interesting part is, I've heard the night she died she held a seance and told the spirits she was done. She went to bed and that was it.

For Info on Filming Details of the Amityville Horror Trilogy, please view http://amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6594&start=210

VampireKen

Post by VampireKen » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:51 pm

obsessed wrote:I dont know the story. Please tell me.
Sarah Winchester was the wife of the owner of Winchester Rifles. His guns slaughtered many people on both sides of war. Sarah's child died early, and her husband died 15 years later of turbiculosis. Scared she was next, she went and sought out a medium. The medium told het that the spirits took her child and husband in revenge.....and she was next. The spirits struck a deal, she built a house for them and didnt stop building and she would not be harmed. With no doubt, she took it seriously. Serious enough she packed up, sold her house and moved to San jose, bought a much smaller house with huge land. And proceeded over the next 30 something years to build a house. She expanded the small cabin (which is located somewhere in the house) into this:

The house at one point was over 8 floors. But the 1906 earthquake changed that. Sarah took it as two signs. One, the spirits did it so she would not stop building, but she believed the spirits were trapped in the destroyed part.

On a side note, Stephen King's film "Rose Red" is a fictionalization of the building of the house.

MerchBoi

Post by MerchBoi » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:51 pm

There's a couple places that claim Rose Red. I'm not sure that King had Winchester in mind.

"The last chance,
The last dance,
One moment in time.
One song,
Doesn't last that long.
Life turns on a dime.
Take a chance,
-IN MY LIFE

Kinzoku
Quarter-Moon Inquisitor

Post by Kinzoku » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:25 am

MerchBoi wrote:There's a couple places that claim Rose Red. I'm not sure that King had Winchester in mind.
King was mystified with the Winchester story for a long time and had actually went to the Winchester Mansion and had wanted to film Rose Red there, but found the rooms too small and/or hard to work with concerning filming, journeying, etc. Winchester Mansion was definately the inspiration but an unrealistic shoot. (Ceiling heights).

eber3
complete jackass

Post by eber3 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:36 am

Kinzoku wrote:King was mystified with the Winchester story for a long time and had actually went to the Winchester Mansion and had wanted to film Rose Red there, but found the rooms too small and/or hard to work with concerning filming, journeying, etc. Winchester Mansion was definately the inspiration but an unrealistic shoot. (Ceiling heights).
Yep, I believe they said that in bonus material for the "Rose Red" dvd... or maybe it was in the bonus material for "The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer" dvd. I'm sure I heard that in one of them.

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:07 am

I believe she was insane, partly caused by a guilty concious of making so much money off a product that kills a lot of people.

Kinzoku
Quarter-Moon Inquisitor

Post by Kinzoku » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:55 pm

Victoria Principles wrote:I believe she was insane, partly caused by a guilty concious of making so much money off a product that kills a lot of people.
She was known to be a social recluse. Even in New Haven, CT. But after the deaths of her daughter and Mr. Winchester she became even more so. After the '06 earthquake she became more 'paranoid' if you will ,and the building/renovating became noticeably more eccentric and took on a more feverish scale.

If- from what I've heard passed down...she was only partial to the head gardener, one niece and other small children who had stopped by for visits.......she loved children. But in later years as her age progressed and she became more infirm, the visits became fewer and the paranoia set in where finally viscious guard dogs were left on the grounds to prey....and hedges were left to grow (obscuring the mansion) and the gates were locked.....

VampireKen

Post by VampireKen » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:30 pm

Kinzoku wrote:If- from what I've heard passed down...she was only partial to the head gardener, one niece and other small children who had stopped by for visits.......she loved children. But in later years as her age progressed and she became more infirm, the visits became fewer and the paranoia set in where finally viscious guard dogs were left on the grounds to prey....and hedges were left to grow (obscuring the mansion) and the gates were locked.....
Stephen King used this in Rose Red as well, although it was used more in the novel "The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer", Never knew that part was connected to Winchester as well. Since we are on the topic, if anyone is interested in seeing any films based on the story DO NOT check out the film "The Haunting of Winchester" (the producers are now being sued by the current owners of the Winchester Estate). The closest film to the real story (although a completely fictional film) is the film we've spoken of, "Stephen King's Rose Red". The film used alleged true events for it's back story and Ridley Pearson's (aka Joyce Reardon PhD) novel.

For those of you wondering about Sarah, here's a few pics of her and her house

This is the most famous pic of her

As for the house,

The famous stairs

The famous door

The area damaged by the 1906 earthquake, sealed off.

MerchBoi

Post by MerchBoi » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Would love to do a paranormal investigation of the sealed off area.

And I had NO IDEA the producers of the 60's BATMAN helped restore the house! Note the obvious signage of the "Door to Nowhere." Amazing!

"The last chance,
The last dance,
One moment in time.
One song,
Doesn't last that long.
Life turns on a dime.
Take a chance,
-IN MY LIFE

VampireKen

Post by VampireKen » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:28 pm

I did not realize a toy gun I used to have was actually a recreation of a Winchester rifle. Replicas are really popular down south.

eber3
complete jackass

Post by eber3 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:19 pm

VampireKen wrote:I did not realize a toy gun I used to have was actually a recreation of a Winchester rifle. Replicas are really popular down south.
I've never really understood the appeal of replicas. Except maybe as props for plays and the like or to hang on the wall as decoration in a public place like a restaurant. Otherwise you might as well buy the real thing, the high quality reps cost a ton and they don't actually work.

antny000
Amityville Addict

Post by antny000 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 pm

I have a few replica's and props myself. Aside from the Amityville model I made, I have a 4 shelf horror curio, each shelf is for a horror icon. Freddy, Jason, Michael, and Jigsaw. I have a replica of the Freddy Glove, a machete from Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter, and I even managed to find the same knife used in the Scream movies (and many other horror movies includingFreddy's Dead, Phantasm, and Saw II & III).

It's funny because some are real and some are fake. Like the Scream knife is very real and I actually use it when I go camping, but the Freddy Glove, while it has the weight to it, the blades aren't sharp at all. But I'm sure they could be, not that I would have any reason to have them sharpened :P
Gonna go make me some Sugar Cookie Stew! Yum yum!

eber3
complete jackass

Post by eber3 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:38 pm

antny000 wrote: ... but the Freddy Glove, while it has the weight to it, the blades aren't sharp at all. But I'm sure they could be, not that I would have any reason to have them sharpened :P
Home defense? Just make sure you have a metal banister to scrap the blades along when you come down stairs in the night to face the intruder who broke in. "Welcome to your nightmare!" Oh I know! When you go camping you can skin four rabbits at once!

As far as my comment about replicas, i just meant replica guns.

VampireKen

Post by VampireKen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:41 am

It does seem like after the tower collapsed on her room she went mad. Isn't the house supposed to be one of the "safest" in America because it survived the earthquake?

antny000
Amityville Addict

Post by antny000 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:27 am

See now, it's funny because as long as I've been "into" Amityville, I would much rather visit this house. The Amityville house, while interesting, is just a normal house, with 3 floors, regular rooms, etc...

This house, on the other hand... has mazes and rooms hidden, dead ends... which would make it a really interesting experience. If I had to choose which one I could go into, it would be this one.

Too bad I'm broke and could probably never afford to even take the trip to it, or I would!
Gonna go make me some Sugar Cookie Stew! Yum yum!