The Smurls

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:36 pm

Maybe they were stubborn and didn't want to admit defeat to whatever it was in the house.

MerchBoi
Official Gay Mascot of Amityville

Question about the Smurl's...

Post by MerchBoi » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:07 pm

I know it's been asked but there's never been answers that have satisfied me.

Have the neighbors or children of the Smurl family ever defended their story? I know some people in West Pittston think they were just trying to get attention and money, but it seems the only people we've heard from are Janet and Jack Smurl, and the Warrens. What have their kids to say? Very similar to the Lutz situation.
MerchBoi...resident Gay Mascot for Amityville Horror Truth.

"The last chance,
The last dance,
One moment in time.
One song,
Doesn't last that long.
Life turns on a dime.
The wheels of fortune seem to pass you by.
Tomorrow there's a dawn again.
A dream can still be born again.
Take a chance,
While there still is time.
Because life turns on a dime."
-IN MY LIFE

TIA
Amityville Addict

Post by TIA » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:20 am

Not as far as I'm aware, not since the haunting anyway. I've tried to find that information before, and failed. If you ever do find anything, please let me know. :D
[size=75][i][color=violet]Occam's razor is lodged in my brain. Ouch.[/color] [/i][/size]
[img]http://bestsmileys.com/sparkle/1.gif[/img]

zzvampy
The Black Bralia

The Warrens, The Smurls and Halloween.

Post by zzvampy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:59 pm

An act of God or ... simple convenience?
Patriot News Company Oct 28, 1986

WEST PITTSTON - Trick-or-treaters who hoped to glimpse demons at the home of Jack and Janet Smurl
on Halloween will have to settle instead for the construction paper ghost in the front window.
The Smurls said yesterday the malevolent force that bedeviled the family for two years,
turning their Chase Street home into a duplex of the damned and their lives into a horror movie,
apparently has moved on.
In the end, the couple and their four daughters credited prayer with doing
what the assorted psychic researchers and would-be ghost busters could not.
"For those who have faith, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation is possible," the family said in a statement.
The Smurls went public with their horrific tale in August in a desperate appeal for help to banish the demons they claimed were infesting their home.
Family members said they were scratched, slapped and dragged from bed by invisible forces.
Ghostlike shadows moved through the house. The family heard odd noises -
screams, grunting pigs, hoofbeats - and endured stifling odors.
"It's like a different home now. We're not afraid to go to sleep at night," said Janet Smurl, 39
"Even the air in the house is much lighter now. It's hard to explain, but there is a difference."
The Smurls' statement, released days before Halloween, said for several weeks,
"All has been quiet in their home and it would appear their problem has been resolved. However, only time will tell."
The family said the elimination of their problem
"can only be credited to the intercession of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary,
St. Michael the Archangel and the Sacred Heart of Jesus,
who have answered their prayers and the prayers of thousands of others through the rosary."
"The family was convinced by people possessing a faith much greater than theirs that the power of the rosary
would be their only salvation and it was, without question," the statement said. Janet Smurl declined to elaborate.
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Scranton will keep in touch with the Smurls but has no other plans,
said the Rev. Gerald Mullally, diocesan chancellor.
The diocese had been investigating to determine whether an exorcism was warranted.
A priest spent several nights in the Smurl home, but Mullally would not say what if any supernatural activity was observed.
In their statement, the Smurls said they will "promote the rosary and continue to pray for those with the same affliction."
"The Smurl family implores those people who have been praying for them not to stop doing so,
but to keep on because they are still constantly under attack from those who wish to suppress the very existence
of the devil so that he may continue to roam the earth seeking the ruination of souls."
Scranton businessman Ralph Lomma, who announced in September he was
negotiating to buy the movie rights to the Smurls' story, said yesterday the deal fell through.

And where have we heard this line before:
"For those who have faith, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation is possible," the family said in a statement.

Hmmm. :roll:

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Re: The Warrens, The Smurls and Halloween.

Post by Dan the Damned » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:25 pm

zzvampy wrote:And where have we heard this line before
I bet a certain busted devil could tell us. :wink:

leathermonkey
Amityville Addict

Post by leathermonkey » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:31 pm

So True Dan. The quote obviously came from the Warren camp, but the Devil in Conn. could surly clear this up...

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:39 pm

I wonder if George ever met the Smurls or the Snedekers?
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

MerchBoi
Official Gay Mascot of Amityville

Post by MerchBoi » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:43 pm

The Smurl case has always fascinated me. Mainly because we have not only the Smurls, but their neighbors who witnessed odd goings on in the home, according to the book. I still wonder if the neighbors ever confirmed that.
MerchBoi...resident Gay Mascot for Amityville Horror Truth.

"The last chance,
The last dance,
One moment in time.
One song,
Doesn't last that long.
Life turns on a dime.
The wheels of fortune seem to pass you by.
Tomorrow there's a dawn again.
A dream can still be born again.
Take a chance,
While there still is time.
Because life turns on a dime."
-IN MY LIFE

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:13 pm

Bumped - the movie is on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aRwwHwvJG4

Architect of light 75
Father Bolen's son

Post by Architect of light 75 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:50 pm

Hey clerks775 and all !!

How are you ??

What a shock when I saw your picture !!!! :shock:

So Brian did some remodeling again and it's too much that time !!!

Look what he did to The House... :cry:

Have a nice day :idea:

:wink:
:rotate: http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard ... php?t=4373

"[..] It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step."

*Architect Of Light :idea:

I_See_Apparitions
Amityville Member

The Smurls

Post by I_See_Apparitions » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:06 pm

What are your thoughts on this case? I had never ever heard of it till coming here. So today I goggled it and WOW what a sick story..... Jack was raped by a ghost?? OMG did he go to the hospital? Does anyone know anything about what happened to these people? Where are they today? And what became of the house? I grew up in PA so this story hits way to close to home.

zzvampy
The Black Bralia

Post by zzvampy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:30 am

Hi Apparitions,

We have several threads on the Smurl case, but here's an older one just for starters...

http://www.amityvillefaq.com/truthboard ... php?t=2882

Also, I have some documents I've been meaning to post for some time now but haven't gotten around to it as of yet...so this will give me some initiative! :D

Zohie
Amityville Addict

Re: The Smurls

Post by Zohie » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:25 pm

I_See_Apparitions wrote:What are your thoughts on this case? I had never ever heard of it till coming here. So today I goggled it and WOW what a sick story..... Jack was raped by a ghost?? OMG did he go to the hospital? Does anyone know anything about what happened to these people? Where are they today? And what became of the house? I grew up in PA so this story hits way to close to home.
You should get the book, I have a copy if you are interested. PM me.

Yes Jack was raped I think twice by a succubus. He didn't go to the hospital, at least not from any writings I've read. They moved, but still live in the same town. I've never heard anything about the house since they moved.

OrangeNblack
MR-LA-DJ

Post by OrangeNblack » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:28 pm

Is this the case that the book and movie "The Entity" is based on?
"Keep the colors of orange and black in your heart year round.
I love Halloween."

zzvampy
The Black Bralia

Post by zzvampy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:47 pm

The movie based on the Smurl case was titled, "The Haunted" and took place in Pennsylvania:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102007/

The Entity was an entirely different event and I believe it took place in a Western state:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082334/

I'm not all that familiar with the case of the 'entity', so I'll leave that to someone more versed.

Although, Ed and Lorraine Warren were involved in both the Smurl as well as the Lutz case, the Warren's weren't involved in the 'Entity' case as far as I know...

evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Post by evanguy2004 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:44 pm

Wow what a timely posting. I was just chatting with Victoria Principles on a "PM" about the Smurl case and how the Warrens were very much involved in ghost hunting the case. I'm always surprised seeing Lorraine speak in many lecture tours that she really never talks about this case. Victoria Principles just said to me on a "PM" she thought the story was discredited. That was the first time I ever heard anyone say they thought the Smurls were frauds. A couple years ago someone actually visited the house and posted up a picture of the house here on these boards. Maybe those were some of the earlier threads that ZZ posted up. I watched the movie "The Haunted" last year and I too believe the Smurls are alive and well living in a different house in PA near the original house. I would love to meet them too and have a cup of coffee!!

I'm curious to hear if you all think that the Smurl's "Haunted" story was discredited like Victoria Principles told me earlier today?

OrangeNblack
MR-LA-DJ

Post by OrangeNblack » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:27 pm

I watched "The Haunted" on youtube last night.
I found the movie to be very creepy.

I also stayed up late and did research on the Smurl case.
I found a few pictures of the house and the family standing in front of the house.
After reading so much about what the family said they went through, I find some of the events hard to believe.

(My opinion) but, having Mr and Mrs Warren tell the family that their home is invested with demons and them communicating with Mrs. Warren makes me believe that when the Smurl's told their story, it was from the stories the Warren's claimed they witnessed.
Some of the articles were what Mrs. Warren witnessed, not the Smurl's.
"Keep the colors of orange and black in your heart year round.
I love Halloween."

fairlyodd_58
Earthbender

Post by fairlyodd_58 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:20 am

I thought that said The Smurfs :roll: :oops:

quotestheraven
Amityville Addict

Post by quotestheraven » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:57 pm

fairlyodd_58 wrote:I thought that said The Smurfs :roll: :oops:
Me too! :lol:

I thought the only thing about the Smurls was that there hasn't been any reported activity at the house since they moved out - kind of like the Amityville house and the Lutzes.
[img]http://usera.imagecave.com/ravensez/Page-1.jpg[/img]

fairlyodd_58
Earthbender

Post by fairlyodd_58 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:49 pm

quotestheraven wrote:
fairlyodd_58 wrote:I thought that said The Smurfs :roll: :oops:
Me too! :lol:

I thought the only thing about the Smurls was that there hasn't been any reported activity at the house since they moved out - kind of like the Amityville house and the Lutzes.
When I misread it, I was wondering "what does a cartoon about blue creatures who live in the woods in mushroom-like houses have to do with this?"
"This just in: Clumsy Smurf, Hefty Smurf, and Smurfette claim to see the ghost of Papa Smurf. Brainy Smurf says they were hallucinating."

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:53 pm

evanguy2004 wrote:Wow what a timely posting. I was just chatting with Victoria Principles on a "PM" about the Smurl case and how the Warrens were very much involved in ghost hunting the case. I'm always surprised seeing Lorraine speak in many lecture tours that she really never talks about this case. Victoria Principles just said to me on a "PM" she thought the story was discredited. That was the first time I ever heard anyone say they thought the Smurls were frauds. A couple years ago someone actually visited the house and posted up a picture of the house here on these boards. Maybe those were some of the earlier threads that ZZ posted up. I watched the movie "The Haunted" last year and I too believe the Smurls are alive and well living in a different house in PA near the original house. I would love to meet them too and have a cup of coffee!!

I'm curious to hear if you all think that the Smurl's "Haunted" story was discredited like Victoria Principles told me earlier today?
Here is an article that says the Smurl was a hoax.
http://www.skepticfiles.org/mys2/haunting.htm

The Smurls also only allowed the Warrens to investigate the house. No other paranormal researchers were allowed.

The Lutz's at least had other people like Hans Holtzer in addition to the Warrens. The Smurls wanted to only have the Warrens.