Sam Stangl ?

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
t00nCiNaToR?
Amityville Superdude

Post by t00nCiNaToR? » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:16 pm

Amityville would never let someone like that buy the house, they make the final decision on who moves in.
[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/t00ncinator/MySign8.jpg[/img]
"It happened so quick. I mean, it was boom, boom, boom. From the first killing to the last, it never took any longer than seven seconds, it would be alot, that would have been alot. Seven seconds." - Ronald J. DeFeo Jr.

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:44 am

Fanzine wrote:If Blackmore "tried" to buy it why didn't he? He was outbidded on the house? He could afford it and I think it never really went for that much. I wonder if he would have lived in it tho? Weird to have your neighbor, in an American neighborhood, to be Blackmore. Heck Phil Spector lives by me so I guess that isn't so strange. I bet he would have lived in the UK still but sometimes stay in the place.

Fanzine
Blackmore has lived in the US since 1972 (has for more than half his life) for tax and political philosophy reasons. In fact he lives in some place right on the ocean in northern Long Island and is often seen at Rennaisance Faires and Rennaisance related places in the Northeast.

zzvampy
The Black Bralia

Post by zzvampy » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:43 pm

Bumped up for evanguy. :)

evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Post by evanguy2004 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:37 pm

zzvampy wrote:Bumped up for evanguy. :)
Where is he today I wonder? Does anyone know? Very interesting story. I never heard of him before today. Thanks for enlightening us of this information.

Brendan72
Forest Giant

Post by Brendan72 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:43 am

It is interesting how Sam Stangl publicly states that he is interested in the paranormal just before the deal looks like being set and suddenly the Cromarty's pull out.

Just an interesting observation, though there is probably nothing conspiratorial in the timing at all.
- Brendan72

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin. Comedian. (1937-2008)

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:01 pm

evanguy2004
I Am Insane

Post by evanguy2004 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:38 am

I think you nailed it Dan. My thought is that Stengl had commercial plans to turn the house into some sort of attraction being a realestate tycoon. The major of Amityville smelled his intention at the last minute and denied the purchase of the house.

My belief is still today the people who end of buying the house have to be screened somehow by the town. I know it is private property but I believe that the town has its say in looking into the background and intentions of the people who will be buying that house in the future.

Chichibcc
Cat Avatar Lover

Post by Chichibcc » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:01 pm

zzvampy wrote:An offline message left for me on Yahoo from a friend ( thank you! )

Hey Krissy, I was just looking at the AT board and your questions regarding Sam Stangl. The Cromarty family put the house on the market in (I believe) Jan. of 79. Before that they had offered to sell the house to MGM for making TAH, but the town shot that down right away. Sam never actually bought the house because the family took it off the market. If I remember right they left at the start of the year and moved back in August. The reason the deal didn't work out was because A) He pissed of the Cromartys by his comments about them being scared, and if they left it would only add to the myth and B) He told the town he planned on making the house into a museum and some type of an paranormal attraction. Well once again, the city didn't like the idea and the Cromarty family stayed.
Well, I would say Sam's mouth got the best of him, that's for sure.

First of all, it makes no sense to go around talking the crap he did about them (when the house was still in their possession, not his!)

Then, to go around and brag that he was going to turn the house into a tourist/paranormal attraction was just not intelligent whatsoever. Did he really think that the folks in Amityville would let such a thing go down? Yeah right.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:01 pm

chichibcc wrote:Then, to go around and brag that he was going to turn the house into a tourist/paranormal attraction was just not intelligent whatsoever. Did he really think that the folks in Amityville would let such a thing go down? Yeah right.
You would think a "land developer" would be familiar with zoning laws. Maybe he was full of sh*t. Maybe he wasn't a "land developer" after all, but merely told the reporters he was. After all, Ric Osuna goes around calling himself an investigative journalist. Hell, I call myself the "King of California" on occasion (it gets me a free drink at the Taco Bell down the block if the slow kid is working -- 'cause kings never have to pay for refreshments)...

There are so many simple mistakes in most newspaper articles about Amityville (hi Ralph DeFeo) that I would bet money that the reporters wouldn't even bother checking what Sam Stangl did for a living. Maybe he was the slow kid at his local Taco Bell...

LongLiveQuarterMoon
Current reigning Miss Ocean Ave

So whatever happened to ........

Post by LongLiveQuarterMoon » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:05 pm

......Sam Stangl, all this hype that he bought the house for $80K from the Cromarty's but what's the real story? Sorry if its been discussed, I couldn't find anything in the older threads.
Here, Violet, you can put this up on the bulletin board. Thanks, Roz, I know just where to 'stick' it.

Just Simon
There is no spoon....

Post by Just Simon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:29 pm

Then, to go around and brag that he was going to turn the house into a tourist/paranormal attraction was just not intelligent whatsoever. Did he really think that the folks in Amityville would let such a thing go down? Yeah right.
My thought is that Stengl had commercial plans to turn the house into some sort of attraction being a realestate tycoon. The major of Amityville smelled his intention at the last minute and denied the purchase of the house.
Wow, you must have some crazy local laws over there, let me get this straight, the residents or Mayor of a town can deny any individual from buying a home? Yeah....right.

The zoning laws of a towm usually have areas set aside for commercial, residential, industrial etc. It is the zoning laws that decide what can and can't be done, not the people or Mayor.
Cheers,

Simon

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:52 pm

Just Simon wrote:The zoning laws of a towm usually have areas set aside for commercial, residential, industrial etc. It is the zoning laws that decide what can and can't be done, not the people or Mayor.
True, but zoning laws can be changed by the city, depending on the planned usage for a property and (hopefully) the consent of the neighbors. (Not likely to happen in this case, though.)

But I agree with you -- I don't think anyone has the ability to stop 2 parties from buying/selling a house, unless the city exercises an underhanded usage of eminent domain. They can use zoning laws to stop them from turning the house into a B&B, but not to keep someone from simply buying it...

VampireKen
Amityville Film Historian

Re: Sam Stangl ?

Post by VampireKen » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:36 pm

Bumping this because I saw something interesting. I read in a article somewhere that the broker attempting to sell the house for the Cromarties said "We even tried to sell it to the movie people, but they had already found a house in New Jersey". Then this says the Cromarties attempted to sell it to them before being denied. anyone heard this before?
"Sometimes, it's not the house that's haunted. It's the People."-Self

For Info on Filming Details of the Amityville Horror Trilogy, please view http://amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6594&start=210

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:12 pm

Yeah, I've heard of the Cromarties trying to sell the house to the film company. Don't know if it's true, or just some reporter making sh*t up or what. It could be true, as the Cromarties were reportedly already sick to death of the tourists by the time the movie was announced -- so maybe they saw it as a way out.
VampireKen wrote:Then this says the Cromarties attempted to sell it to them before being denied.
It doesn't say he was denied. It quoted the mayor as saying that if the new owner had any commercial plans for the property, then those plans would be denied. It's not saying the sale of the house would be denied -- he's talking about getting permits/permission to use the property as a business (like a Bed & Breakfast or a museum or research center).

VampireKen
Amityville Film Historian

Post by VampireKen » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:35 pm

Dan the Damned wrote:
VampireKen wrote:Then this says the Cromarties attempted to sell it to them before being denied.
It doesn't say he was denied. It quoted the mayor as saying that if the new owner had any commercial plans for the property, then those plans would be denied. It's not saying the sale of the house would be denied -- he's talking about getting permits/permission to use the property as a business (like a Bed & Breakfast or a museum or research center).

I was speaking about the movies :p
"Sometimes, it's not the house that's haunted. It's the People."-Self

For Info on Filming Details of the Amityville Horror Trilogy, please view http://amityvillefaq.com/truthboard/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6594&start=210

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:06 pm

Here's a bio of Stangl - full name Samuel O’Shaughnessy–Stangl - that repeats the error he actually bought the house, but if the rest is to be believed, was quite a character (as the headline says) certainly when it came to real estate...
In 1973, after forming Middle Earth Development Co. (MEDCO), he bought land from noted inventor and dirt-mound builder Flory J. Perillo at Golf Links and Camino Seco roads.

There, he built a small townhouse subdivision he named Rivendell, for a place out of “The Hobbit” and “The Lord of the Rings.” He also named three streets after the books : Elvenstone Way (plural of Elf-stone), after an object that had magical power; Oakenshield Way, after Thorin Oakenshield, the king of the dwarfs; and Brandywine Lane, after a river in Middle Earth, where the books are set.
And here's the Amityville bit - which doesn't make a lot of sense - with the sources.
In 1979, a couple years after O’Shaughnessy read Jay Anson’s best-selling book “The Amityville Horror,” he purchased the Amityville Horror house itself, in Amityville, Long Island, New York. The allegedly haunted house had been made popular by the book and the movie of the same name.

O’Shaughnessy arrived in New York City on Aug. 3, 1979 to a gaggle of reporters. He got to walk around the infamous home one time but by the following day, lawsuits began flying over who should get the profits from the movie. The controversy was so big that within a couple years he sold the home and got out of the situation.

Laura Diamond, "Tucson Real Estate Agent Buys Amityville Horror," Tucson Citizen, July 30, 1979

"Amityville Horror doesn’t' spook him,' Arizona Daily Star, July 31, 1979
In the mid-1970s, Sam opened O’Shaughnessy’s Piano Bar on Grant Road and Tucson Boulevard. He and his singers sang traditional Irish songs and patriotic American numbers

http://tucson.com/news/local/street-sma ... 02e4c.html