Sam Stangl ?

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
zzvampy
The Black Bralia

Sam Stangl ?

Post by zzvampy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:31 am

Several interesting things in the following article.

First off, who was this Sam Stangl and did he actually purchase 112 from the Cromarty's or did the deal fall through?

Secondly, notice how the article refers to Ronnie as" Ralph DeFeo".

Last but not least, he mentions that he feels that the Cromarty's " were scared of something"....

Thoughts anyone?

t00nCiNaToR?
Amityville Superdude

Post by t00nCiNaToR? » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:55 am

Could he have been the mysterious house guest that stayed after the Cromarty's left? Or maybe he did buy it and had the "Real" house guest stay while he was in Tuscon, maybe the guy was a paranormal investigator, found nothing and then Stangl sold the house to Wilson for a profit? Or maybe The town council read this article and knew what he was going to do and put a stop to the sale and purchased the place from Cromarty... Hmmm maybe Stangl stayed one night, got the poop scared out of him and never went back... hard to say... heh heh, Great article though. ;)

***EDIT***
Wait never mind, it says that the Cromarty's were already gone for six months untill the point of this article and before the sale, I guess it was their house guest, but really, if there was nothing going on there, why wouldn't they have stayed in the house untill it sold? I'm with Stangl on this one, you don't just go rent or buy another house untill you sell or lease the one you're in already, something besides tourists made them leave six months before they sold, and in that six months, why would they go public and say, oh yeah it's haunted alright?? That would give them even less of a return on their investment. I think they were happy just to "Barely Break Even" and run... wow scary!
Last edited by t00nCiNaToR? on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/t00ncinator/MySign8.jpg[/img]
"It happened so quick. I mean, it was boom, boom, boom. From the first killing to the last, it never took any longer than seven seconds, it would be alot, that would have been alot. Seven seconds." - Ronald J. DeFeo Jr.

zzvampy
The Black Bralia

Post by zzvampy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:59 am

I'm just trying to figure out where this guy would fit in...I mean, the Cromarty's had Frank Burch "house-sit" for them, so I'm assuming that this Sam person never actually purchased the place? :?

t00nCiNaToR?
Amityville Superdude

Post by t00nCiNaToR? » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:09 am

zzvampy wrote:I'm just trying to figure out where this guy would fit in...I mean, the Cromarty's had Frank Burch "house-sit" for them, so I'm assuming that this Sam person never actually purchased the place? :?
Frank Burch was there untill the Cromarty's sold it, what was the date on this article? do you know, maybe the guy did buy it and had his own "Paranormal" House sitter stay there and investigate and nobody was the wiser??
"It happened so quick. I mean, it was boom, boom, boom. From the first killing to the last, it never took any longer than seven seconds, it would be alot, that would have been alot. Seven seconds." - Ronald J. DeFeo Jr.

zzvampy
The Black Bralia

Post by zzvampy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:12 am

Hmm, it's dated July of '79.

t00nCiNaToR?
Amityville Superdude

Post by t00nCiNaToR? » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:14 am

OK when did wilson move in, or who lived there after the Cromarty's but before Wilson?
Last edited by t00nCiNaToR? on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

zzvampy
The Black Bralia

Post by zzvampy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:15 am

But wait, the O'Neill's owned the house before Wilson....

t00nCiNaToR?
Amityville Superdude

Post by t00nCiNaToR? » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:16 am

Sorry yeah, when and what date did they purchase the house... ?

zzvampy
The Black Bralia

Post by zzvampy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:18 am

I *believe* it was in '87 ?

Gosh, Dan or Sherb would know more about the dates than I do.

zzvampy
The Black Bralia

Post by zzvampy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:19 am

Okay, from the FAQ:

Besides the DeFeos and the Lutzes, who has owned that Amityville house?
The original house that stood on the property was built in 1782. It was moved down the street by the Moynahan family who had the present house built in 1924. They left the house to their daughter, Eileen Fitzgerald, who, in 1960, sold it to the Riley family for a reported $35,000. The Rileys lived there for 5 years before selling it to the DeFeos in 1965. After the tragic murders in 1974, the house stood vacant for a little over a year until the Lutzes moved in during December of 1975. After the Lutzes fled the house a month later, the house once again stood vacant for a little over a year until the Cromarty family bought it in March of 1977 for a reported $55,000 - far less than the $80,000 the Lutzes were offered. The Cromartys lived there for a decade before selling the house in 1987 to the O?Neil family, who, in turn, lived there another decade before selling the house in 1997 to the present occupants (for a reported $310,000).

t00nCiNaToR?
Amityville Superdude

Post by t00nCiNaToR? » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:21 am

So we have the Cromarty's House sitter staying there for seven and a half years while the Cromarty's were still paying the mortgage/Taxes ect... and living somewhere else? Something doesn't add up... Maybe Stangl did buy it?

***EDIT***
That article says they were already moved out for six months in 79' and had no plans of returning I would imagine... Something's missing I think...

Someone isn't telling the truth.

"The Cromartys lived there for a decade before selling the house in 1987 to the O?Neil family."

I think there are seven years that are unaccounted for, what a mystery!

What year did their son die? Maybe they left right after that but went back and stayed till' 87' NO FREAKIN' CLUE BATMAN!!!

zzvampy
The Black Bralia

Post by zzvampy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:30 am

Well, this really isn't much help, but here's a scan from Kaplan's "The Amityville Horror Conspiracy":

t00nCiNaToR?
Amityville Superdude

Post by t00nCiNaToR? » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:36 am

I think he did buy the house, I think he bought it and had a team of Pshychic Research guys and girls live there when he wasn't in the City. I bet he has the complete report on it and a ton of pics I'm sure... ;) Hell, he may have even had the house Exorcised, who knows? This is pretty big news, congrats on the find! This whole thing reminds me of Amityville 3-D which came out around the same time... hmmm, TRUE STORY*!!!

***EDIT***
*Except for the part about the house blowing up at the end... heh heh

Victoria Principles
I Am Insane

Post by Victoria Principles » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:50 pm

I may have an answer for this. This Sam Stangl may be an alias. About this time in the late 1970's former Deep Purple and then current Rainbow guitarist Ritchie Blackmore was said to have to tried to buy the house.

I read this somewhere on the internet a couple of years ago, but I can't find where it was. I think is was on a website called http://www.rainbowfanclan.com/. This website has hundred or thousands of pages. Good luck finding the Amityville info.

Blackmore is also an amateur ghost hunter.

If this Sam Stangl did own it there should have been some kind of a public record or deed to it. The sale probably fallen through somehow.

And the fact that this appears in the New York Post should be taken into consideration. This paper is just a step above the National Enquire and like tabloids for reputation.

t00nCiNaToR?
Amityville Superdude

Post by t00nCiNaToR? » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:28 pm

And of course Sam Stangl = Satan with an msgl left over.

Dan the Damned
Lost Soul

Post by Dan the Damned » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:30 pm

This Sam Stangl story was also covered in an article in People magazine (the same story where they mention Weber making up the haunting tale over many bottles of wine).

I remember hearing that the Cromartys put the house on the market once or twice during "their decade" before eventually selling it in 1987. I think they wanted to sell at the time prolly due to the tourists, but ended up changing their mind.

To my knowledge, the house was never sold to Sam Stangl. The deal fell through somehow (if it had even gone as far as Sam claimed).

Nice to see the papers refer to Ronnie as "Ralph DeFeo." I have an article from the NY Times calling him "Donald DeFeo." Makes you wonder what other facts the papers get wrong or don't even bother to check... :?

Delci
Amityville Addict

Post by Delci » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:41 pm

Lalala...oh, look, cool thread. Uhm, this is Deirdre. Two people use this account, Richard and I, because we're alike in almost everyway, except he's a guy and I'm a girl...so we do half-and-half posts. And yes, so you're not confused, he's the insanely cheery one, who's weird and comes up with all these ideas. Anyway, to the topic.

I was just browsing, and saw this.
I'm surprised this wouldn't be more popular. What a guy! You don't see many people with that kind of audacity. It's people like this guy that will solve the mystery, most likely. I wish the deal wouldn't have fallen through, though...we could've had a lot of conspiracy. lol.
When I was young, it seemed that life was so wonderful, a miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.
And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily, joyfully, playfully watching me.
But then they send me away to teach me how to be sensible, logical, responsible, practical.
And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable, clinical, intellectual, cynical...

t00nCiNaToR?
Amityville Superdude

Post by t00nCiNaToR? » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:22 pm

heh heh yeah but you really don't move out of a house for six months, find another place, move all your furniture and then decide to move back, maybe the "House Sitter" was really a priest and he spent those months Exorcising and cleansing the house... THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELLS YOU!!!, does anyone have any concrete proof that the Cromarty's were really living in the house in say 1980? If so, I'd like to see it, it seems this Stangl guy went out of his way to say that he bought the house already and alot of other people since then have been keeping it quiet.

zzvampy
The Black Bralia

Post by zzvampy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:37 pm

An offline message left for me on Yahoo from a friend ( thank you! )

Hey Krissy, I was just looking at the AT board and your questions regarding Sam Stangl. The Cromarty family put the house on the market in (I believe) Jan. of 79. Before that they had offered to sell the house to MGM for making TAH, but the town shot that down right away. Sam never actually bought the house because the family took it off the market. If I remember right they left at the start of the year and moved back in August. The reason the deal didn't work out was because A) He pissed of the Cromartys by his comments about them being scared, and if they left it would only add to the myth and B) He told the town he planned on making the house into a museum and some type of an paranormal attraction. Well once again, the city didn't like the idea and the Cromarty family stayed.

t00nCiNaToR?
Amityville Superdude

Post by t00nCiNaToR? » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:50 pm

Proof enough for me, case closed!

I think it would have been in the Cromarty's best interests to keep their mouths shut about any haunting... Hard to get full market value on a haunted house and didn't I say all along that the town stepped in and can either stop or allow a person to buy that house, sheesh... but I still don't believe that people move out of a house and then put it on the market, sounds alot like the Lutz's story minus the haunting, let's get out of here today and we'll worry about the sale later... seems very fishy... I think I would like a little more proof than a PM from some unknown source and take it as fact... I know I know, I'm stubborn.

***EDIT***
I mean really if anything at all forget about this Sam guy for a minute and just soak in the fact that the Cromarty's left their house and possibly their possesions just like the Lutz's and let some other dude move in, does anyone else find this odd, even if there are alot of tourists outside big deal, they knew what they were getting themselves into when they bought it, just like the O'Neils and Mr. Wilson... It would take more than that for me to leave my house... like a GHOST maybe... heh heh muahahahaha......

Fanzine
Amityville Member

Post by Fanzine » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:04 pm

If Blackmore "tried" to buy it why didn't he? He was outbidded on the house? He could afford it and I think it never really went for that much. I wonder if he would have lived in it tho? Weird to have your neighbor, in an American neighborhood, to be Blackmore. Heck Phil Spector lives by me so I guess that isn't so strange. I bet he would have lived in the UK still but sometimes stay in the place.

Fanzine
"Angels Fly Because They Think They Can" - Elvis Aron Presley