The Large Cross...

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
sherbetbizarre
Administrator

The Large Cross...

Post by sherbetbizarre » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:28 pm

From this article...

According to a neighbor, who asked not to be identified, Lutz, a land surveyor, came back to the house with a priest, carrying a large cross. They walked around the house and spent a couple of hours inside. "I don't know what they were doing" the neighbor said.
And this next article - which I don't recall seeing before - names the neighbor as Mrs Ireland, with a slightly different version...

Some men came in a truck came to the house late one evening and took a "huge cross" from the vehicle. "They walked around the house with the cross for a time, and then went inside" Mrs Ireland said, "Then they came out, put the cross in the truck and drove off."
:think:

believer
Amityville Member

Re: The Large Cross...

Post by believer » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:39 am

I have a hard time putting any credence in either of these articles. Both are riddled with inaccuracies and contradictions.

But that is the first time I've heard of the 'large cross' being reported by a neighbor. Though, out of any of the neighbors, it would definitely be the Ireland house that has the best view of any happenings at 108/112.

Interesting find, Sherb.

jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict

Post by jimmysmokes » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:26 pm

believer wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:39 am
I have a hard time putting any credence in either of these articles. Both are riddled with inaccuracies and contradictions.

But that is the first time I've heard of the 'large cross' being reported by a neighbor. Though, out of any of the neighbors, it would definitely be the Ireland house that has the best view of any happenings at 108/112.

Interesting find, Sherb.
"Inaccuracies" & "contradictions". :think: In the Amityville Horror? Perhaps you're onto something there! Of course we have to begin somewhere don't we? But, when does one come across a "legit" article containing 100% accuracy on said subject? I've yet to run across one or interview for that matter, but am always open if one exists.

I like the first article where it claims they moved out within 10 days of moving into house. Perhaps Rick Moran knew something after all? And very interesting that Mrs Ireland witnessed the cross incident but spoke of nothing with regards to the garage door incident that had the family out there struggling with a "possessed" door slamming up and down? She doesn't mention anything out of the normal she witnessed while the family lived there. Such as the boathouse trips, or police checking out the front door.

George didn't want publicity, but these articles show February 14, 1976 and we got investigators being called up beforehand? Since it was February 14, 1976 the articles appeared for the Long Islanders to read, does it make any sense to halt Kaplans investigation because he spoke to the papers about his involvement? "Buyer calls house haunted"!

Well I'd say that's not a smart statement George if you don't want publicity.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:38 am

jimmysmokes wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:26 pm
George didn't want publicity, but these articles show February 14, 1976 and we got investigators being called up beforehand?
He denied it...

Since it was February 14, 1976 the articles appeared for the Long Islanders to read, does it make any sense to halt Kaplans investigation because he spoke to the papers about his involvement? "Buyer calls house haunted"!

Well I'd say that's not a smart statement George if you don't want publicity.
Weber leaked that story. The Press Conference was used to clear up the inaccuracies (10 days, etc...)

jimmysmokes
Amityville Addict

Post by jimmysmokes » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:06 pm

Yeah, but he also denied ever having created "embellished" ideas with Weber to conjure up a more elaborate story. And he didn't deny the buyer calls the house haunted subtitle here either.

So Weber leaked this story (of theirs) to the papers and then basically forced them to attend a press conference to which they basically had to clear up things that were purported to have happened that didn't? But a neighbor saw men outside of the house with a cross, then go in with it? :think:

You will admit that regardless of who leaked it, the storm had begun with this. Adding also that the shenanigans that went on a bit later, with the news crew and psychics (brought in by Lutzes) only added to the frenzy when aired to the public. Either way, what's the point (by then) of "delaying" Kaplans investigation because of publicity?

They went on to have to appear on tv, interviews for some time to correct the jumbo of inaccuracies that came from the book, not to mention the movie. I think with the book I would have made sure to get the real story down for the record this time around. And low and behold if old Weber's fingerprints wasn't all over that as well! In the end they would have to thank Weber, in some degree. Without him, it might not have gotten off the ground or been as good.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Post by sherbetbizarre » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:58 am

jimmysmokes wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:06 pm
Either way, what's the point (by then) of "delaying" Kaplans investigation because of publicity?
Because after Weber's press conference, that's where their head was at - no more publicity. Kaplan knew this, but told the press he was holding an investigation there anyway.
They went on to have to appear on tv, interviews for some time to correct the jumbo of inaccuracies that came from the book, not to mention the movie.
One thing leads to another. This all unfolded over many weeks, months and years. Laura Didio tells the story of how she eventually wore them down to allow her to film the Warren investigation.
I think with the book I would have made sure to get the real story down for the record this time around.
That was the idea. Anson made embelishhments. They corrected these in the galleys, but Anson (and the publisher?) chose to keep a bunch of them.
In the end they would have to thank Weber, in some degree. Without him, it might not have gotten off the ground or been as good.
Well, we certainly wouldn't be having this conversation without Weber!