Original House

General Discussion About Anything Amityville And Other Paranormal Topics
shane2801
Amityville Addict

Original House

Post by shane2801 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:44 pm

HI everyone from Sydney Australia
I have been following the forum here for quite a number of years and even though I do not believe that anything spiritual or ghostly ever happened at 112, both the Defeo tragedy along with the alleged haunting has always fascinated me.

I was wondering can anybody shed any light on why the original house at 112 was moved only a couple of hundred metres down the road on the cnr of S Ireland and Carmen? While visiting Amityville in 2011 I took this picture of the original house.

sherbetbizarre
Administrator

Re: Original House

Post by sherbetbizarre » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:14 am

Simple reason - they wanted a bigger house to live in-
The property was once part of a larger parcel of land owned by the Ireland family, apparently used for farming. At some point the land was divided-up, with this one narrow lot being sold by the Irelands to John and Catherine Moynahan. The original house on that land (built in 1890) was moved up the block, providing the Moynahan family with a place to live while their new Dutch Colonial home was being constructed by local builder Jesse Purdy.

Due to the land's narrow boundaries, the house was built "sideways," with its front door not facing the street (as it does with the similar house next door). Instead, the side facing the street contained the house's infamous quarter-moon windows (which would later become the bedroom of convicted murderer Ronnie DeFeo).
http://www.amityvillefaq.com/property.html#own

Although most people would find it easier just to move to a bigger house :)

shane2801
Amityville Addict

Re: Original House

Post by shane2801 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:19 am

Thanks Sherb. A wealth of knowledge you are. :clap: